• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Cow slaughter ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cow slaughter ban bill passed in Karnataka AssemblyBangalore, Mar 19 (PTI)
Amid uproarious scenes, Karnataka Assembly today passed the controversial cow slaughter ban Bill, which provides for stringent punishment for violaters and makes the offence cognisable and non-bailable.
After more than a four-hour debate, the Bill was passed by voice-vote as the entire opposition -- Congress and JDS -- trooped into the well of the House and shouted anti-government slogans, branding the BJP government "communal".

Leader of Opposition Siddaramaiah, who termed the legislation "draconian", "anti-secular" and "unconstitutional" tore a copy of the the Karnataka Prevention of Slaughter and Preservation of Cattle Bill, 2010 -- and threw it in the air.

Earlier, Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa defended the Bill, saying it was aimed at protecting cows and preserve cattle in Karnataka. A number of states, including Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Chhatisgarh and Jammu and Kashmir, already had similar legislation, he added.

Cow slaughter ban is in force in Cuba and Iran, Yeddyurappa said, and highlighted the medicinal benefits of cow urine which have been proved by research.The bill prohibits slaughter of cattle, sale, usage and possession of beef, puts restriction on transport of cattle and also prohibits sale, purchase or disposal of cattle for slaughter.

The offence is punishable with imprisonment not less than one year which may extend up to seven years or fined between Rs 25,000 to Rs 50,000 or both; second and subsequent offence would attract a fine of not less than Rs 50,000 up to Rs one lakh along with imprisonment penalty.

The bill was intended to replace the Karnataka Prevention of Cow Slaughter and Cattle Preservation Act, 1964, to prohibit the slaughter of cows and calves of she-buffaloes, bull, buffalo male or female.It is also aimed at preservation and improvement of the breeds of cattle and to endeavour to organise agriculture and animal husbandry in terms of Article 48 of the Constitution.

The bill provides for stringent punishment for violation of the act, and also provides for powers to search and seizure of any premises including vessel or vehicle.
Home Minister V S Acharya said the bill was "in tune with the sentiments of the majority community", as per the election manifesto of the BJP, and the judgements of Supreme Court and High Court.

Siddaramaiah said such a bill can be enacted only in "Hitler's regime" and not in democracy. "Is yours a Hitler's regime ?" he asked.

The BJP Government, he charged, was thrusting "vegetarian culture" on the people, adding, if the bill was passed, the price of mutton per kg would shoot up to Rs 1,000 from the present Rs 260 or so.

By this act, those dependent on the products such as shoes, leather, belts, nail polish, films, buttons and other beef products would lose their jobs. "You are making their life miserable", he said.As several opposition members flayed the bill in the debate that saw sparks fly, Siddaramaiah cautioned it would create "disturbance" in society and have an adverse impact on harmony.

Defending the bill, C T Ravi (BJP) said there would be severe shortage of milk in Karnataka in future if the current rate of cow slaughter continued in the State.
JDS leader H D Revanna said the BJP brought the bill keeping in view its "vote bank".
Roshan Baig (Congress) expressed shock over the provision for a seven-year imprisonment in the act. "Don't try to implement hidden agenda", he told the BJP government, adding, the 1964 act was good enough.

Qamarul Islam (Congress) said the bill would create "hatred" among different communities, leading to "law and order problems". Several opposition members argued it poor eat beef as this meat is affordable and inexpensive at around Rs 60 per kg, compared to chicken and mutton. The choice should be left to the people, they said.

This is really a welcome move by the Karnataka Govt. I appreciate the BJP State Govt. in taking the step boldly knowing the vitrious lashes from the opposition.

I hope that such acts are enforced throughout India.

I wish the Government of India respects the sentiments of Hindus and pass a bill in Parliament to ban cow slaughter at all India level.

Cow is treated as a sacred animal by all the Hindus who form more than 80% of the population.

All the best

Cow is a sacred being,and is worshipped by Hindus.But i heard in Bhagavathamrutham by Swami Udit chaithanyaji in the Asianet channel tat cows,goats etc should nt b slaughtered for food but if it is done to prepare medicines like 'AJAMAAMSARASAAYANAM',its ok....!Dr Bhavani Chandrasekharan.

yeddy is heady

maadu num oooru sneha 'cow'

bjp rocks my world

numma oooru bengalooru

yeddy is heady

maadu num oooru sneha 'cow'

bjp rocks my world

numma oooru bengalooru

yeddy heady aa irunthaal enna, democracy hypocrisy aa irunthaal enna???

Nachi naaga avargale, Andrapradesham aagatum, Tamizhnaadu aagatum, allathu Kerala naadu aagatum.....Vadanattu vida Thennattu makkal kalaachaarathai athigamai virumbinaalum, maatu maamisathai mundri pol rusiththu saapidra goshti irukirathu thaane...

Thamizhnaattu KK vum OK endru solvaaraa???

Cow Urine

Good news for millions of diabetic patients. Cow urine, which has many medicinal properties, can also cure diabetes. In a significant development, a three-member team of researchers in Bangalore has found that cow urine contains certain molecules that can fight diabetes. Led by Dr K Jayakumar, professor and head of the Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology of the Veterinary College under Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University (Karnataka, Bharat), the team is in the final stages of identifying the molecule that secretes insulin. This is the first ever scientific study on cow urine and its properties and its findings can change the diabetes treatment in India. Jayakumar said that anti-diabetic activity of cow urine was tested on rats with experimentally induced diabetes. He said rats were orally administered small doses of cow urine daily and there was marked difference in blood sugar levels in these animals. But in the case of diabetic rats which were not administered cow urine, sugar levels remained the same. The cow urine is used in the preparation of Ayurvedic medicines for centuries. This scientific study promises to give a ray of hope for millions of diabetic patients in the country.
-Based on a report by Smt. Kestur Vasuki in THE PIONEER, February 19, 2010

yeddy heady aa irunthaal enna, democracy hypocrisy aa irunthaal enna???

Nachi naaga avargale, Andrapradesham aagatum, Tamizhnaadu aagatum, allathu Kerala naadu aagatum.....Vadanattu vida Thennattu makkal kalaachaarathai athigamai virumbinaalum, maatu maamisathai mundri pol rusiththu saapidra goshti irukirathu thaane...

Thamizhnaattu KK vum OK endru solvaaraa???

ravi saar

ellamay numbho eduthkira vidathil thaan irukkiradhu.

western countries,middle-easterners,russians countries,far-east asians,chinese,koreans.....all eat beef happily without any hassle.are they in anyway a lesser human being,on the contrary,indians hang around these nationalities for their economic welfare,and we are stuck with shastras and sampradayas,out of old glory and faith.i am not saying we shud not,but it's our faith,that's all,we shud not be judgemental,including about KK JJ PMK KKK DK

correcta illiya,naan solradhu?

ravi saar

ellamay numbho eduthkira vidathil thaan irukkiradhu.

western countries,middle-easterners,russians countries,far-east asians,chinese,koreans.....all eat beef happily without any hassle.are they in anyway a lesser human being,on the contrary,indians hang around these nationalities for their economic welfare,and we are stuck with shastras and sampradayas,out of old glory and faith.i am not saying we shud not,but it's our faith,that's all,we shud not be judgemental,including about KK JJ PMK KKK DK

correcta illiya,naan solradhu?

Naachi saar, neengal chonnal cheri dhaan.....

Thulka ekkalathilum Pork/Panni chaapadathu illiyeeee.....Avangalum, panni matrum naayi chaapadra Philipines, Korea, Japan matra pala naadugalin sarakkai ubayogikiraargal...allavaaaa???

Nambalodia kalachaarathai kadai pudikirathulay Judgemental aa irukirathu onnu thappu illai...Ennodia abipraayam mattummey..

Last edited:
correct ravi saar.i agree our culture is unique and we get satisaction out of it.so yes,i second the vote,for banning cow slaughter in India as a law equal to murdering a human being.But,with our secular credentials so well established,i know its a pipe dream only.I expected BJP would do it during their rule,but they failed both,conversion bill as well cow slaughter ban,and even failed womens bill,which is the dearest to my heart.the day women get 50% representation,India is trully liberated in every strata of life.

Yes, you are right to highlight the credentials of our secularism, Sri Nachi naga ji....

But, unless each Hindu carry on the values of culture, and wish to have them fullfilled (In India), rather compromising our self and looking out the other ways to console our self, it would not be possible for us to achieve ban on Cow slaughtering through out India.

If the other communities wants to eat beef, let them import and enjoy…Isn't it a fair deal???

Dear all....

What about other animals? Arent they living beings too...
Even though I am a Hindu(vegetarian) I always found it a bit hypocritical just to omit beef from diet...and all other forms of non veg allowed.

If anyone wants to support this Cow slaughter ban he/she should be a Vegetarian..
Why only cows should be spared?
What about other animals...?
How many woman will give up wearing silk like what I did?

It reminds me so much of an incident that happened in my clinic in 2003..
That time i had a Hindu non veg nurse..and a malay muslim nurse..
The Hindu nurse once came into my room and told me that the Muslim Malay nurse had cooked beef and rice at home and brought it to clinic to have it for dinner...

I told the Hindu nurse.."So what is the problem here?"

she told me.."Doctor..its beef? How can you allow it in your clinic?"

I told her.."Ok what did you bring for your dinner?"

She said.."Chicken Curry"

I asked her.."So chicken is Ok but beef is not OK?"

She was shocked and said "Doctor ...as a Hindu how can you say this?"

I told her..."My dear...I am a vegetarian..i dont see beef as forbidden and chicken as allowed....They are the same for me...thats why i dont eat animals...Go enjoy your dinner with your muslim friend..."

Dr.Renuka ji,

What about other animals? Arent they living beings too??

This question of yours can be attempted to answer only if non-vegetarian community does not exists at all or they can be considered eating against the law of the nature...

I believe it’s the nature's rule to maintain the ecosystem...

The only point here is, since all of we Hindus (both veggies and non.veggies) believe cow as sacred animal and pray them as Gowmatha / kamadhenu, we need to give some consideration to exclude cow slaughtering and eating beef, to relish the taste of its flesh..

Long ego, I had a discussion with one of my non-vegetarian friends. It was interesting and strange for me to note his claim that, animals don’t know the value of life. They are just insentient. When we kill them, they are not worried of dying; they are just scared of the pain.

Yes, you are right to highlight the credentials of our secularism, Sri Nachi naga ji....

But, unless each Hindu carry on the values of culture, and wish to have them fullfilled (In India), rather compromising our self and looking out the other ways to console our self, it would not be possible for us to achieve ban on Cow slaughtering through out India.

If the other communities wants to eat beef, let them import and enjoy…Isn't it a fair deal???

ravi,importing we lose money.so better to use our cows cattle fowls locally raised.

Dr.Renuka ji,

What about other animals? Arent they living beings too??

This question of yours can be attempted to answer only if non-vegetarian community does not exists at all or they can be considered eating against the law of the nature...

I believe it’s the nature's rule to maintain the ecosystem...

The only point here is, since all of we Hindus (both veggies and non.veggies) believe cow as sacred animal and pray them as Gowmatha / kamadhenu, we need to give some consideration to exclude cow slaughtering and eating beef, to relish the taste of its flesh..

Long ego, I had a discussion with one of my non-vegetarian friends. It was interesting and strange for me to note his claim that, animals don’t know the value of life. They are just insentient. When we kill them, they are not worried of dying; they are just scared of the pain.

Dear Ravi...

Your friend sucks ok...if he wants to eat..just go ahead and eat meat he does not have to make such excuses that animals are not worried of dying..

Tell him this..when i was a teenager i lived in house on a hill surrounded by a jungle..all sorts of animals were there..lot of monkeys(beruk) too...

Once one monkey got caught by a trap layed by my neighbour and the other monkeys came to my house and called my dog and were telling him in their monkey language so many things and my dog nodded and jumped and ran to my neighbours house..i ran behind my dog to see what the matter was...
My dog chased the neighbour an old man... his pants fell off while running and i saw everything becos he was not wearing any underwear and my dog helped the monkey to get out of the trap...

I learnt 2 things that day..

Animals value life of theirs and their kinsmen..
and old men without underwear look horrid..

Dear Ravi...

Your friend sucks ok...if he wants to eat..just go ahead and eat meat he does not have to make such excuses that animals are not worried of dying..

Tell him this..when i was a teenager i lived in house on a hill surrounded by a jungle..all sorts of animals were there..lot of monkeys(beruk) too...

Once one monkey got caught by a trap layed by my neighbour and the other monkeys came to my house and called my dog and were telling him in their monkey language so many things and my dog nodded and jumped and ran to my neighbours house..i ran behind my dog to see what the matter was...
My dog chased the neighbour an old man... his pants fell off while running and i saw everything becos he was not wearing any underwear and my dog helped the monkey to get out of the trap...

I learnt 2 things that day..

Animals value life of theirs and their kinsmen..
and old men without underwear look horrid..

i wonder why old man did not wear underwear,the dog must have got equally frightened at the sight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back