• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Code of conduct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the Code of Conduct for Brahmins written anywhere? If so where? Is it specifically written, covering every minute details?The Bagwad Gita only gives a general definition for a Brahmin. It does not elaborate Code of Conduct for Brahmins.Regards,Iyer

I guess Lord Krishna wanted the Gita to be a Universal Code of Conduct.

namaste shrI Iyer.

I came across recently in the Giri Trading Company, Mylapore, Chennai, a Tamizh book titled saMkShepa dharma shAstram, compiled by three brahmins, as an abridged version of vaidynAtha dIkShitIyam.

Publishers of the book:
shrI BhagavAn nAmA publications
'RAma mandiram', 2, VinAyakam Street
West MAmbalam, Chennai-600033
Phone: 2489 3736

I was told in the Jayalakshmi Indological Centre, Mylapore, that KAnchi Shankara MaTham has published an edition of the original Sanskrit text.

iyer,

today's brahmin caste, better follow the normally accepted code of conduct ie equality before law, before God and before their fellow humans. i think the brahmin caste had separate rules in the past milleniums, and even to smell those laws, let alone read it, may put us at hazard with current day values.

we live in 21st century, where information follows the speed of light and so do ideas.

we cannot live by religion or by reverting to old laws. this, our immediate ancestors for the past 100 years understood, and little by little have been watering down, what they felt was inane or arcane practices of life, widowhood, female emancipation and above all the concept of caste itself.

ofcourse, if you want to know, how far we have fallen, or still falling, any understanding of the old laws is good. all of us better know what the universal law today is, and not to accept it, is to bring grief upon oneself.

personally, i think, separate laws to the brahmin way of life, is best consigned to the dungheap of history, along with mein kampf and protocols of the elders of zion. :)

Well!!!

Every input accepted.

Then I don't understand why so much hype and hoopla when some one does something which is a so-called-anathema to brahmin code, when there does not exist any such code. I reckon in none of the so-called Hindu scriptures is prescribed any code of conduct.

For example, It is but natural for a woman to marry a man. Where does caste, creed, color, religion, race, ethnicity etc etc apply in the present day context.

Whether it is right to marry an already married man or woman is debatable indeed.

Understandably certain principles were followed as unwritten law to suit the times and circumstances. Circumstances change and hence obviously practices need change.

Yet why is it a deviation from established norms unacceptable especially in the so-called brahmin community !!! (An exclamation not an interrogation)

When the globe is shrinking to a village, why not we become just human beings !!!

Regards,
Iyer

[url=http://www.bhagwanvalmiki.com/manu-smriti.htm]Manu Smriti by Manuvaadis[/URL]

iyer,

Just in another thread, vks swamy was extolling manu and enunciating the ‘duty’ of a daughter in law, towards her husband, husband’s family and relatives. All supposedly based on his version of hindu dharma and manusmrti.

The link above gives too, what is in manusmrithi.

Folks like me, do not want anything to do with manu and his followers, whose vision of india, our hindu society and above all our own attitudes, for these are way way out of what is acceptable by today’s definition of morality, decency and above all a sense of egalitarianism.

I am away from india since 1973, as much a social refugee as economic. If I had lived in india, I too would be identified as a brahmin who is an inheritor to manu and his laws on castes, which has caused countless humiliations and poverty to millions of dalits over the millenium, and also, given the other castes a convenient vehicle to inflict cruelty on the dalits (which they continue to do so in some quarters of india).

It is sad, there are tambrams, many of them, extolling manu and manu’s version of hindu dharma. Mercifully I hope their lineage would end soon, as I can see, no tambram girl of today that I know, would ever accede to the demands and expectations of such neandertals.

Hope this explains. Further.

Dharma sastram by sri S.V.Radhakrishna sastrigal, published by surabhi
printers, madras 33

Dharma sastram by somadeva sarma, madras 33.

40 samskaras by Kanchi paramacharyal, by kamakoti gochastanam.

Of course you are free to opt out of brahmin varna if you want to. You can make a start by dropping iyer appendage. If you don't consider yourself a brahmin keep away from criticizing brahmins as long as you are not affected. How does one become a human by criticizing a brahmin? Skewed logic!

Well!!!

Every input accepted.

Then I don't understand why so much hype and hoopla when some one does something which is a so-called-anathema to brahmin code, when there does not exist any such code. I reckon in none of the so-called Hindu scriptures is prescribed any code of conduct.

For example, It is but natural for a woman to marry a man. Where does caste, creed, color, religion, race, ethnicity etc etc apply in the present day context.

Whether it is right to marry an already married man or woman is debatable indeed.

Understandably certain principles were followed as unwritten law to suit the times and circumstances. Circumstances change and hence obviously practices need change.

Yet why is it a deviation from established norms unacceptable especially in the so-called brahmin community !!! (An exclamation not an interrogation)

When the globe is shrinking to a village, why not we become just human beings !!!

Regards,
Iyer

Thanks for the sensible relevant reply. But it is wasted on the person who raised the issue because he has prejudged views.

Dharma sastram by sri S.V.Radhakrishna sastrigal, published by surabhi
printers, madras 33

Dharma sastram by somadeva sarma, madras 33.

40 samskaras by Kanchi paramacharyal, by kamakoti gochastanam.

Iyer,

I do not think the existence of the so called Code is of any significance. Our Community's beliefs are based on what has been passed on from generation to generation. If you look around for documentary evidence (bearing someone's seal along with proof about its authenticity) for each and every directive handed down to us, I should say you will be disappointed. My advice is, if you believe what you have been taught then follow it, if not then dont. Its entirely up to you.

Cheers,
Karthik

Of course you are free to opt out of brahmin varna if you want to. You can make a start by dropping iyer appendage. If you don't consider yourself a brahmin keep away from criticizing brahmins as long as you are not affected. How does one become a human by criticizing a brahmin? Skewed logic!

Most Honorable Sarang,

Did I criticize Brahmins? Which statement of mine could be construed as criticism? I raised queries for introspection. Does it amount to criticism? Is it unlawful to raise queries? The tamil word 'Aasiriyar' in due course of time abridged to 'Aayar' which eventually became 'Iyer'. Once upon a time Brahmins were the only people group engaged in the teaching profession and they were teaching scriptures to others. Hence the word 'Aasiriyar' used to address teacher, became applicable to Brahmins. Even the Protestant Pastors are addressed as Iyer in Tamil Nadu. You have dodged away from the anchor of the topic, a scriptural evidence for the so-called brahmin-code-of-conduct. I would appreciate if you corroborate your view points quoting from the Vedas and the Upanishads, not from any other text. Thanks.

Iyer.

Iyer,

I do not think the existence of the so called Code is of any significance. Our Community's beliefs are based on what has been passed on from generation to generation. If you look around for documentary evidence (bearing someone's seal along with proof about its authenticity) for each and every directive handed down to us, I should say you will be disappointed. My advice is, if you believe what you have been taught then follow it, if not then dont. Its entirely up to you.

Cheers,
Karthik

Dear Karthik,

"Existence of code of conduct is not significant". Accepted. When we have conveniently forsaken our traditional profession, compromising on many a principle, why is it an anathema if someone marries a person from a so-called-outside-our-community? How much of our erstwhile so-called Brahmin traditions have we retained? Are we not being hypocrites making a hue and cry about our values being eroded, when we have wilfully chosen to estrange ourselves from numerous so-called Brahmin customs, ethics, etiquettes, traditions etc., for our convenience and for many other reasons obvious.

Regards,
Nages M

Iyer,
Why some code of conducts are followed and not other? Kala sampradaya vs yuga sampradaya.
If this is a practical mater priests modify what they do, then discrimination against certain group of people should be stopped, (based on disability, gender, marital status etc) specifically in a religious setting,

Isn't it?
regards,
Shankar

Is the Code of Conduct for Brahmins written anywhere? If so where? Is it specifically written, covering every minute details?The Bagwad Gita only gives a general definition for a Brahmin. It does not elaborate Code of Conduct for Brahmins.Regards,Iyer

Mr. Iyer,
I did not want to respond to your post, as I did not know your intentions. The way it is worded, the question was rhetorical. You knew the answer before posting the question.IMO

I understand Mr. Sarang's post#8. You might be new to the forum, but you will learn.
Your post #5 shows your motive.
I have a lot in common with Kunjuppu's post #4.
You have the answer in Saidevo's post#3

Last edited:
Dear Karthik,

"Existence of code of conduct is not significant". Accepted. When we have conveniently forsaken our traditional profession, compromising on many a principle, why is it an anathema if someone marries a person from a so-called-outside-our-community? How much of our erstwhile so-called Brahmin traditions have we retained? Are we not being hypocrites making a hue and cry about our values being eroded, when we have wilfully chosen to estrange ourselves from numerous so-called Brahmin customs, ethics, etiquettes, traditions etc., for our convenience and for many other reasons obvious.

Regards,
Nages M

Dear Nages,

Sorry for my late reply. I would say that abandonment of our customs as you put it is very subjective and cant be generalised. The anathema of which you speak would arise only if you have foresaken what is taught to you, which brings me to the same point which I mentioned earlier that the difference of opinion lies in the belief of the individual. For a person who believes in living within the boundaries set by us "Hypocrites", the above moral confusion will not arise. At the same time, for a person who choses not to believe, for him it makes no difference because he doesnt believe in the teachings. The person who shall be affected is the one who wants others to follow his path and try to prove himself right.

In short, what I am really saying is "To each his own"

Regards,
Karthik.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back