• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Code for playing sukthams,rudrams,vishnu sahasranamams etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the general code for playing sukthams, rudrams, vishnu

sahasranamam at temples, public places and houses . I am positive that

there must be a code that sukthams, rudrams and venkatesa suprabathams

should not be chanted throughout the delay. Can someone clarify.

PC RAMABADRAN

I think as per the traditional thinking, sukthams, rudram and venkatesa suprabhatham etc. should be "recited" and not "played". The sukthams and rudram, as they being veda mantras, they should be "recited" by the persons possessing the requisite qualifications, viz. "adhikaris". The suprabhatham, as the name itself suggests, should be recited early in the morning, preferably "pre-dawn".

So where is the question of laying down a "code" for something that is not authorised?

Time itself is relative.
So technically I see no harm about the timings to recite anything.
I also do not feel it is wrong to play any religious chants as it will surely have some positive effects on the people hearing it and make them want to learn to recite it.

After all since the saying goes... Ano Bhadraaha Kritao Yantu Vishvataha -let noble thoughts come to us from all directions so what is so wrong if the noble thoughts come from a CD with religious chants?

Sri Venkatesa Suprabatham is chanted only at Tirumala temple and a few other temples, by priests. Most of the Balaji temples

play the audio CD just before sunrise. In the Sakthi Vinayakar temple situated nearby, CDs are played only for bhakthi songs.

Other 'chanting's are done by learned persons / not so learned who read out from books! Sri Sathyanarayana pooja and

pradhosha pooja are regular features, on full moon day and pradhosham day respectively.

Some of my learned friends had opportunities

of witnessing people chanting the sukthams, rudram and suprabathams without

phonetic exactitude, and with wrong accent and playing the CDs at

small temples, marriage and public functions at wrong times.My friends tried hard to educate the people

concerned but in vain. Even if there is a holy writ as to when and how one must chant all the sukthams

rudram and suprabathams it would be of no avail.

PC RAMABADRAN

small temples, marriage and public functions at wrong times.My friends tried hard to educate the people

concerned but in vain. Even if there is a holy writ as to when and how one must chant all the sukthams

PC RAMABADRAN

This happens but you know what! let it be cos at times Bhakti is more important than Vibhakti.

Last edited:

PC RAMABADRAN
hi
becoz of many FM chaneels....every corner tea shops in chennai.....morning tea with suprabathams /sometimes sukthams/

rudram chamakam....its daily early morning in many parts of chennai....now a days very common too,....we can hear

subrabatham in many tea shops before the temple openings....many chennaites know very well...

PC RAMABADRAN

Sir...I have seen people who after years of doing Sandhyvandanam and they still do not know the meaning of the Gayatri Mantra.

Many priest themselves do not know the meaning of what they recite..so it is no big deal if any common person recites any chant with not so perfect intonations.

People learn by trial and error.

Striving to impose perfection will make people move away from religion.

We Hindus should be more user friendly.

Every morning when I work out on my Thread mill I keep my CD of religious chants on and sing it as I work out.

When I am fully out of breath trying to run and also sing Shiva Tandava Stotram I know I am working out at the right intensity.

So for me ..that's how I recite every chant I know by memory cos I hear it first thing in the morning while exercising.

When it comes to prayer any time is a good time!

Last edited:
Temples follow agamas and their rituals, timings and practices are strictly defined; they also rearrange their traditional ways with the advice and consent of the religious heads.

Individuals and families who are orthodox, also are quite strict about the prayers, poojas and rituals. They will rearrange other activities and ensure that religious activities are not affected.

The third group will combine the activities (treadmill and pranayam, newspaper reading and japa, morning walk and sloka recital). Or reschedule daily prayer plans taking into account gym and parlour appointments. Many yoga institutes offer yoga sessions from morn till late night.

Fine, from each according to his ability and make-up.

There are prodigies and gifted persons, who break all the rules and produce exceptional results. Majority of us have to follow the methods and procedures laid down for deriving maximum benefit as a group.

Temples follow agamas and their rituals, timings and practices are strictly defined; they also rearrange their traditional ways with the advice and consent of the religious heads.

Individuals and families who are orthodox, also are quite strict about the prayers, poojas and rituals. They will rearrange other activities and ensure that religious activities are not affected.

The third group will combine the activities (treadmill and pranayam, newspaper reading and japa, morning walk and sloka recital). Or reschedule daily prayer plans taking into account gym and parlour appointments. Many yoga institutes offer yoga sessions from morn till late night.

Fine, from each according to his ability and make-up.

There are prodigies and gifted persons, who break all the rules and produce exceptional results. Majority of us have to follow the methods and procedures laid down for deriving maximum benefit as a group.

Dear Sarang,

I feel it is not that some choose to break rules...it is just that some people love to include God in every activity they do and do not want to keep prayer and God for only a specific time.

Regular prayers might still go on as usual but instead of listening to film songs in the morning while exercising..it is good to re fresh one's memory by reciting mantras as one is exercising.

It is good for both the body and soul.

Dear All,
There is no harm in listening to the vedic recitation either by CD's or cassettes. But attempting to chant these vedic hyms by listening the CD's is the problem here. Let me tell you one story here one gentleman has read about the vedic recital manyu sukta from rig veda that it will be used to counter the enemies. Since this gentleman knows to read the devanagari script, get bought some books on this manyu sukta and cd's. This gentle man has started listening to the chant and started chanting it accordingly to the CD. Since vedic hymns are called as sruti and it should be pronounced in correct intonation, then results are unimaginable. The problem that this gentleman did is, he was chanting with improper intonation eventhough the aksharas are right. Finally that gentleman started facing many problems.
So if people really want to do the prayers we have lots of stotras available and this do not require proper intonation. The akshara pronounciation is important. Better chant the stotras than reciting the vedic hymns with improper intonation.
I can take one example here the people from T.N has wide range of stotras and pathigams in their own language. great saints like gnanasambandar, appar, sundarar and manickavasar have given an ocean of pathigams. No harm in chanting these pathigams. And people have got enormous kamya benefts by merely reciting these pathigams. If at all people really needs to recite the vedic hymns please find a guru who can correct your sruti while chanting the vedic hymns. This is my humble request

Thanks
C.R.Bala

It is said that the nama's are more powerful than god. Suki sivam says that There is no time/sthithi to call namas. Everybody knows that when thropathi called krishna calling his nama krishna krishna what was her position? God came to her rescue when she totally surrendered to krishna.

Dear Sir

You are quite right. Sri bhagavan nama chanting is very powerful. Let me give you one example in ramayana. there is a place where there was fight between rama and hanuman. During this fight shri hanuman just sat down and started chanting rama nama. But rama tried his level best and did many astra prayoga. At last the unfallable ramabanam also failed to attack sri rama. Finally sri rama confused, then the rishi told sri rama that your rama nama is more powerful than you. So bhagavan nama is very important. There are lots of paddhatis followed in agama and mantra shastra to obtain kamya and moksha by merely chanting the panchakshara/ashtakshara/shadakshara/rama taraka mantra.

Thanks
C.R.Bala

It is said that the nama's are more powerful than god. Suki sivam says that There is no time/sthithi to call namas. Everybody knows that when thropathi called krishna calling his nama krishna krishna what was her position? God came to her rescue when she totally surrendered to krishna.

Yes you are right! Bhakti is more important than Vibhakti after all when Gajendra the elephant called out for God I am sure he was calling out for God in his elephant language only.

Actually I wonder why people make a big deal about getting all pronunciation and intonation right.

Majority of Tamil origin priest can not get their pronunciation of " श" and
"ष "right.

I know an Iyengar priest here who can not even pronounce the word Prashant correctly.

He keeps saying Prasant instead of Prashant but he himself goes on and on talking about how people recite mantras without correct intonation etc.

That's why once I asked him..."you yourself can not pronounce "श" "ष"..why are you finding fault with others?"

One should pronounce correctly; that is a demand, expectation and the right thing. If one cannot do that for any reason physical or lack of effort), that is a pardonable deficiency. A principle cannot be diluted because of some people's inability. Many cannot pronounce. ழ. I am sure doctors do make the effort to pronounce latin names for medicines, diseases and body parts.

Finding fault is human nature!

Actually I wonder why people make a big deal about getting all pronunciation and intonation right.

Majority of Tamil origin priest can not get their pronunciation of " श" and
"ष "right.

I know an Iyengar priest here who can not even pronounce the word Prashant correctly.

He keeps saying Prasant instead of Prashant but he himself goes on and on talking about how people recite mantras without correct intonation etc.

That's why once I asked him..."you yourself can not pronounce "श" "ष"..why are you finding fault with others?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back