• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Cockroaches, bugs in food: Railways admits serious lapses in catering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear RR ji,

I don't know why those who drink local brew alcohol say they need pickle when they drink but westerners do not take pickles or any sour stuff when they drink alcohol.

I wonder what is the rationale of taking pickle along with local brew alcohol?

Does it really enhance the taste?
Dear Renu,

You are asking the wrong person! :lol:

hi
my maternal grand father had VRR contract with railways in my child hood days.....many my relatives run VRR canteens in and around madras in olden days.... one of my friend's father was manager in base kitchen vijayawada,,,,so many brahmins were survived by VRR Rly canteen in good olden days... the quality was good....honesty and hard work paid welll.....

now we know the story of so called modern rly catering services....many palakkad brahmins had VRR services....
i still remember the quality of thayir saadam/sambar sadham packet from VRR canteens in my childhood from
very famous OLAVAKODE JN IN PALAKKAD.....NOW IT IS CALLED PALAKKAD JUNCTION....

Dear Sri tbs,

World is small. Your post has rekindled my memories. Around the years 1957-60 when I was doing my Articles for CA, I used to visit Palghat and Olavakot (Olavakode) on daily basis for auditing, from Coimbatore. In Palghat I used to take my lunch at the only Brahmins vegetarian Hotel "Ananda Bhavan" in Gandhi Bazaar. Whereas when I visited Olavakot Industrial Estate, my lunch will come from VRR in Olavakot Railway Station in tiffin carrier. It used to be full course lunch with Pachidi, Pappadam, curd and a plantain leaf apart from other regular items. Since I took train from Coimbatore, in the morning I will have my breakfast in Olavakot VRR and while returning back,some hot idlies/upma or Dosa and pack some snacks for home from the the same VRR. The Olavakot Railway Station VRR was very famous for tasty food.
Those were the wonderful days when pride of quality was the hallmark of Brahmin Restaurants.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Sri tbs,

World is small. Your post has rekindled my memories. Around the years 1957-60 when I was doing my Articles for CA, I used to visit Palghat and Olavakot (Olavakode) on daily basis for auditing, from Coimbatore. In Palghat I used to take my lunch at the only Brahmins vegetarian Hotel "Ananda Bhavan" in Gandhi Bazaar. Whereas when I visited Olavakot Industrial Estate, my lunch will come from VRR in Olavakot Railway Station in tiffin carrier. It used to be full course lunch with Pachidi, Pappadam, curd and a plantain leaf apart from other regular items. Since I took train from Coimbatore, in the morning I will have my breakfast in Olavakot VRR and while returning back,some hot idlies/upma or Dosa and pack some snacks for home from the the same VRR. The Olavakot Railway Station VRR was very famous for tasty food.
Those were the wonderful days when pride of quality was the hallmark of Brahmin Restaurants.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.
hi sir,
even i know somebody here in USA....his grand father used to have brahmin hotel in OLAVAKODE..very close to rly junction....

in olavakode town...i used to travel from olavakode to madras by madras mail in 60's and 70s....even coimbatore/erode

VRR too nice.....salem/arakonam VRR meals always good.....erode VRR provides hot milk in night train....now

a days......annapurna/saravana bhavan chain hotels dominated....gouri shankar reastaurant in gandhi puram used to so good

in coimbatore.....BRAHMANAH BOJANA PRIYAHA......

Many still do prefer brhmanasya bhojanalayam; the boards bearing the message - brhamin hotel have started reappearing in many towns.
One novel of balakumaran talks a lot about setting up an iyer hotel, the initial troubles and its growth.

BRAHMANAH BOJANA PRIYAHA......

Last week in the Hyundai factory in talegaon, maharashtra, a large number of 120 workers in the first shift, became sick after eating kanda poha (onion aval) for breakfast and had to be treated in a hospital. It is claimed that mouse litter was found in the poha. The contractor supplying the food was immediately sacked. It was not reported whether food was cooked in the factory canteen or brought from the contractor's kitchen.

There was a story circulating last year that a lady drank coke from a can, became sick and died in no time. The reason, rat's urine on the lid when it was stored in the warehouse. Everybody was advised not to drink from the can before cleaning the top cover.

Cadbury india went through a harrowing time because its chocolates were found to be worm invested. If interested, I can give more details.

I found out now how Sri. Brahmanyan Sir

has developed into a top class connoisseur of good food! :)

Early memories never really fade!!! :love:

There was a time when people were afraid to make it known that they

were Brahmins.

They were being targeted both by the insiders and the outsiders.

Glad to note that brahmins proudly declare their caste at least in hotels

and Bhojanaalayams.

Ref # 55.

Not everyone dear Mr. TBS! :nono:

We are here since 1994 but have gone to hotel only thrice so far.

Once my husband's friend wanted to give a treat to my elder son and we

were also invited.

The second time we went with my younger son and his bride since it was

too late to come home to cook food after visiting all the temples.

(By then the lunch counter was closed. That is another story!)

Third time the buyer of our small plot wanted to treat us and the real

estate agent in a place filled with noxious fumes from outside the hotel.

Those who know how to enjoy life will do so even in Alaska.

Even after long tiring journeys I am supposed to clean the house, take

bath and cook food and life is not made easier even when I fall sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back