• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Cockroaches, bugs in food: Railways admits serious lapses in catering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naina_Marbus

New Delhi: In a shocking revelation about the pathetic condition of catering services in Indian Railways, ……a railways report … exposes how food is prepared in filthy conditions. The report says that the food served in trains is cooked in dirty,smelly and waterlogged pantry cars.

This stands true even for premier express trains. The report says that cockroaches were all around the GT Express pantry car. In the Shramjivi Express, the water used for washing coaches was also used for cooking and in the Bihar Sampark Kranti, samosas were found kept in a dirty basket along with mops.

For many travelling on trains, the quality of foodleaves much to be desired. But now the railway board's own inspection reportshows just how sub-standard it really is.
….
The food that is served ….on trains is cooked in pantry cars that are dirty, smelly and waterlogged. And the washing area is dirty andunhygienic. That's how Railways' own inspection report talks about the pantrycars.

This is just one part of a series of inspections carried out by railway board on various trains in February, 2013.

In an inspection of GT Express in Southern Railways, the railway board found the pantry car's exhaust and light fixtures blackened and full of oily cobwebs. Although pest control was done just a week before, cockroaches were evident all around.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/cockroaches-bugs-in-food-railways-admits-serious-lapses-in-catering/384864-3.html

Dear prof N_M,

You have forgotten the impossible vegetable biriyani

with a dead rat tightly packed in that box!!! :shocked:

Since when rats are considered as vegetable in India??? :confused:

I have always registered with disgust
the food trays stacked just outside the toilet rooms
on the dirty watery floor covered with
contaminated water from inside the toilet. :scared:

The only time we purchased food on the train was when
I and my sister both thought that the other person will bring food for the journey.
As it happened neither of us had brought food.
We bought Dosa which were apparently coated with sand.
All of us fell sick seriously - especially my two young sons- EVEN without eating the dosas!!!

Sir, PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE. Safe is 'Kattu sadam'. For travel in long distance trains better to observe 'Upavasam'. More safe!! What is the existing arrangement of Railways when a passenger falls sick during the journey after consuming such polluted/contaminated/adulterated, etc food? Do we have to take medicine too along with the baggage? But FOR heaven's sake don't take food offered by strangers!!

OM SHANTHI, SHANTHI, SHANTHI

We can take medicines in a first aid kit.
What if we need to use the bathroom often?
Will it be available ?
Will there be water??
Will not this spread to the others in the compartment??
The safe bets are bread/ chapathi/ fruits/ snacks that do not spoil.

Thank God! Drinking tea is not my cup of tea :tea:

Mam, When it comes coffee, I don't compromise and insist for Filter coffee (preferably double strong) which will be not normally available in IRCTC or in Railway Platforms/Stations,etc. They all market instant coffee towards which I am allergic.

Now I understand WHY our ancestors made
icon3.png

cooking both specific and difficult!
icon14.png

Short cut methods and jagaj jaalam :juggle:

will not be possible then! :rolleyes:

Our ancestors had ideas to take food from home for their long journeys.

One of our friends will never buy cooked food. He used to mange his diet with bananas and

biscuits and of course 'saththu mAvu' prepared at home! :hungry:

Most of us know the 'saththu mAvu' packed by our grannies for their trip to Kasi !

The catering services in Indian Railways is allocated to different vendors in different trains. While some vendors maintain hygiene, cleanliness and neatness, others don't. Indian Railways ought to open a forum where such lapses can be represented, addressed and redressals found. Indian Railways must either penalize such erring vendors or cancel their contract.

th

280px-Gorp.jpg

Westeners have their own energy giving mixture called trail mix. :)

So colorful and tempting mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Trail mix is a combination of dried fruit, grains, nuts, and sometimes chocolate, developed as a snack food to be taken along on outdoor hikes.

Trail mix is considered an ideal snack food for hikes, because it is tasty, lightweight, easy to store, and nutritious, providing a quick boost from the carbohydrates in the dried fruit and/or granola, and sustained energy from fats in nuts.

Courtesy Wikipedia

Is there any surprise check organised by Railways, like flying squad or special team to ensure that the quality of stuff is maintained and prepared under hygienic conditions? Attitude of catering contractors making hay at the cost of travelling public's good health is not in good taste.

Is there any surprise check organised by Railways, like flying squad or special team to ensure that the quality of stuff is maintained and prepared under hygienic conditions? Attitude of catering contractors making hay at the cost of travelling public's good health is not in good taste.
Surprise checks? Flying squad or special team? Even with an army of such people to check ticket-less travel, you cannot stop ticketless travellers!

Same will be true for checking quality of catered foods served on trains. More important,
who will and how to screen the inspectors themselves to demonstrate their genuine awareness of what constitutes hygiene under Indian conditions?

Solution? Take your own food, sacrifice craving for coffee or tea!

Last edited:
Sir, I agree. Implementing such measures will ensure atleast improvement in the standard to some extent. There are certainly ways and means! The staff can be trained and there are labs to test the quality of food. Railways can themselves establish thereown Institutions on these subjects which will be very economy. I hope the pantry car staff are borne by the Railways in most of the trains. Introducing new trains, Metro, Mono, etc alone are not considered progress, there should be overall progress covering all services and facilities which includes, better catering too.

As for as my food is concerned, I strictly adhere to the instructions of my dietitian which governs my intake and keeps me fit and healthy. Good day

Westeners have their own energy giving mixture called trail mix. :)

So colorful and tempting mmmmmmmmmmmm!! ......
But sweet blooded people have to be careful if chocolates are added!

And, I found more than necessary salt in the pack which came from West Virginia!

Why follow the west? Why not our saththu mAvu? If jaggery is permitted in diet, try this:

Sathu maavu urundai (Multi grain laddu)

sathu-maavu-urundai-multi-grain-flour-laddu-healthy-laddu-kids-food.JPG

Or we can just mix with some water and eat it.

I did not view the page since
I may not have a heart as brave as needed to view it.
What if sugar and jaggery are also :nono: ??
How long with the laaadu stay fresh?
Will it be hard like the poruL viLangaa uruNdai???
Need we carry a nut cracker or pounder along???
Questions are riddling my mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back