• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

clarification on bhagawat gita

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) What ever happened, happened for good, what is happening is happening for good, what ever will happen will also happen for good.
2) What did you bring with you, which you think have lost.
3 )What ever you took you took from god, what everyo gave you gave it to him etc etc etc
Etc etc etc we can see these types of words plus still some other proverbs written generally on calenders.
Is this what the essence of Bhagawat Gita? Is this the one Lord Krishna explained to Arjuna whether the above proverbs reflects the exact meaning of Bhagawat gita can any body explain?
Regards
kannan

Sri.Kannan, Greetings.

The essence of Srimad baghavad Gita is none of those questions posed by you.

The essence is, " just do what you have to do. Don't wait for the results". Baghavad Gita applies to everyone differently to their circumstances. But basically, only when we anticipate, we give room for disappointments. So, baghavad Gita says, don't anticipate so that you won't have disappointments.

Cheers!

Bhagavad Geeta Saar, Bhagavada Geeta Online, Bhagavada Geeta Saar, Gita Saar, Divine Voice of God, Celestial Song, Lord Krishna, Spirituality, Spiritualism
Bhagavad Gita is the most unusual and the one of the most important scriptures. Its is the divine voice of the God. One can be spiritually benefited by mediating and contemplating on the Gita. One's all doubts are removed and by following it, one can attain Him. This Celestial Song was sung by Lord Krishna.
Whatever happened, it happened for good.
Whatever is happening, is happening for good.
Whatever that will happen, it will be for good.
What have you lost for which you cry?
What did you bring with you, which you have lost?
What did you produce, which has destroyed?
You did not bring anything when you were born.
Whatever you have, you have received from Him.
Whatever you will give, you will give to Him.
You came empty handed and
you will go the same way.
Whatever is yours today was somebody else’s yesterday and will be somebody else’s tomorrow.
Change is the law of the universe.

In My View:
Bhagavad Gita starts with the need for everyone to his Duty/Dharma.It goes on to explain Aathma is different from body and every Aathma needs to come out of the Birth cycle.For this the steps are explained as Karma Yoga, Gnana Yoga and Bhagthi Yoga.Lord Krishna's Supremacy is is explained in Viswaroopa Yoga and Purushothama Yoga so that Aathma understands His Supremeness and performs Bhagthi Yoga(in steps mentioned).Shri Krishna explains finally a simple way of 'Saranagathi' where in an Aathma needs only to repose Faith In Him and totally surrenders to Him,by which He gives Mukthi to the Aathma.This is the course of Bhagavat Gita.
'Whatever happened,,,,,etc are sayings in between to explain His Supemacy.
Alwan

sarvo panishado gavo
dogdha gopala nandanah
partho vatsah sudhir bhokta
dugdham gita amritam mahat

Gandhi on BhagawadGita:
66.gif

The Gita is the universal mother. She turns away nobody. Her door is wide open to anyone who knocks. A true votary of Gita does not know what disappointment is. He ever dwells in perennial joy and peace that passeth understanding. But that peace and joy come not to skeptic or to him who is proud of his intellect or learning. It is reserved only for the humble in spirit who brings to her worship a fullness of faith and an undivided singleness of mind. There never was a man who worshipped her in that spirit and went disappointed. I find a solace in the Bhagavad-Gita that I miss even in the Sermon on the Mount. When disappointment stares me in the face and all alone I see not one ray of light, I go back to the Bhagavad-Gita. I find a verse here and a verse there , and I immediately begin to smile in the midst of overwhelming tragedies -- and my life has been full of external tragedies -- and if they have left no visible or indelible scar on me, I owe it all to the teaching of Bhagavad-Gita.
99.gif

Dear raghy sir,
Can you tell what do you mean by "Baghavad Gita applies to everyone differently to their circumstances"
Thanks
GK

Sri. Gopalakannan, Greetings.

When you read Bakthi Yogam, Karma Yogam, Gnaana Yogam etc in Gita, you may find them not applicable across the board. Similarly, Gita can be understood by someone who does not follow other Hindu scriptures. It also varies with age of the reader too. One has to read and understand. Not all the slokas are the best to accept either; there are controvertial portions too. That's what I meant.

Cheers!

Dear Gopalakannan,

One more unique thing of the Geeta it has this tendency to "come alive".
Sometimes in life we face situations and we start to question that situation and somehow the answers can be found in Geeta.

Its as if each stanza was written for each one of us in any situation.

Dear Gopalakannan,

One more unique thing of the Geeta it has this tendency to "come alive".
Sometimes in life we face situations and we start to question that situation and somehow the answers can be found in Geeta.

Its as if each stanza was written for each one of us in any situation.

In mahatma Ghandhi's words:
"I find a solace in the Bhagavad-Gita that I miss even in the Sermon on the Mount. When disappointment stares me in the face and all alone I see not one ray of light, I go back to the Bhagavad-Gita. I find a verse here and a verse there , and I immediately begin to smile in the midst of overwhelming tragedies -- and my life has been full of external tragedies -- and if they have left no visible or indelible scar on me, I owe it all to the teaching of Bhagavad-Gita."

But to reach that position you must read Gita and its meaning. If you know the general texts you can always return back to the exact chapter for that occasion.

In mahatma Ghandhi's words:
"I find a solace in the Bhagavad-Gita that I miss even in the Sermon on the Mount. When disappointment stares me in the face and all alone I see not one ray of light, I go back to the Bhagavad-Gita. I find a verse here and a verse there , and I immediately begin to smile in the midst of overwhelming tragedies -- and my life has been full of external tragedies -- and if they have left no visible or indelible scar on me, I owe it all to the teaching of Bhagavad-Gita."

But to reach that position you must read Gita and its meaning. If you know the general texts you can always return back to the exact chapter for that occasion.

Dear Prasad ji,

I wonder if you had felt the same before but I have felt that we can't choose to understand the Geeta but it's the Geeta that chooses time/place/person to let understanding dawn upon us.

Its like a magical book which unravels its mystery to the "chosen" candidate.
So I feel we actually cant "read" the Geeta but its the Geeta which "sings" to us.
We are always donning the role of Arjuna hearing the celestial song

Last edited:
Dear Prasad ji,

I wonder if you had felt the same before but I have felt that we can't choose to understand the Geeta but it's the Geeta that chooses time/place/person to let understanding dawn upon us.

Its like a magical book which unravels its mystery to the "chosen" candidate.
So I feel we actually cant "read" the Geeta but its the Geeta which "sings" to us.
We are always donning the role of Arjuna hearing the celestial song

Renuka,
I am not at the level you are, my understanding of Gita is from Chinmaya, But I have gone through that book, that I can find almost everything I need. You are right you do get different meaning you are reading it.
I am sorry Gita does not speak to me. LOL

Renuka,
I am not at the level you are, my understanding of Gita is from Chinmaya, But I have gone through that book, that I can find almost everything I need. You are right you do get different meaning you are reading it.
I am sorry Gita does not speak to me. LOL

Dear Prasadji,

I think you got me wrong..what I meant is we cant choose to say that we have read the Geeta and understood it..it has to be the Geeta deciding that and its a co incidence today that the Sai Inspires for the day is about the similar topic..

SaiInspires_4.jpg
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]27 January, 2012[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Featured on Radio Sai:[/SIZE][/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What are the attributes we should endeavor to possess as devotees? Bhagawan explains through the example of Arjuna.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Audio Special:
"Satsangh with a Techie
- Part 8
[/SIZE]​
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]"
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]
Click Here to Listen Now
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]H2H Special:
"Video: Music Programme by
Students of AnantapurCampus
[/SIZE]​
[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]"[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]

Click Here to Watch Now
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Watch the Live Video Webcast of the Programme by Sai Youth from Delhi - NCR at around 5:00 p.m. (IST), Today on our website www.radiosai.org[/SIZE][/FONT]​
SI_20120127.jpg
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If Arjuna was an individual like others, he could not have been an effective instrument, a recipient and transmitter of great teachings. He is a hero who has defeated not merely the outer foes, but even the inner ones. Weak hearts cannot grasp the Geetha and put it into practice. It is with this full knowledge that Krishna selected Arjuna and showered on him His overpowering grace. Once Krishna said: "Arjuna, you are My closest Bhaktha(devotee); you are also My dearest friend. That is the reason why I taught you this supreme, secret teaching." Reflect on this! To get the title from the Lord Himself is the highest credential and good fortune, which reflects how pure-hearted and deserving Arjuna was. Bhakthi (devotion) must be won by implicit obedience. But being a devotee alone is not sufficient. Hence Krishna uses th e word mithra (friend). The friend has no fear; that makes him a more perfect recipient.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]- Geeta Vahini, Ch 7.[/SIZE]​
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]He who is ever ready to sacrifice his comfort for helping another,
is the genuine devotee. - Baba
[/SIZE][/FONT]​

Dear Prasadji,

I think you got me wrong..what I meant is we cant choose to say that we have read the Geeta and understood it..it has to be the Geeta deciding that and its a co incidence today that the Sai Inspires for the day is about the similar topic..

SaiInspires_4.jpg
[SIZE=-1]27 January, 2012[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Featured on Radio Sai:[/SIZE]
What are the attributes we should endeavor to possess as devotees? Bhagawan explains through the example of Arjuna.
[SIZE=-1]Audio Special:
"Satsangh with a Techie
- Part 8
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]
Click Here to Listen Now
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]H2H Special:
"Video: Music Programme by
Students of AnantapurCampus
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]

Click Here to Watch Now
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Watch the Live Video Webcast of the Programme by Sai Youth from Delhi - NCR at around 5:00 p.m. (IST), Today on our website www.radiosai.org[/SIZE]
SI_20120127.jpg
If Arjuna was an individual like others, he could not have been an effective instrument, a recipient and transmitter of great teachings. He is a hero who has defeated not merely the outer foes, but even the inner ones. Weak hearts cannot grasp the Geetha and put it into practice. It is with this full knowledge that Krishna selected Arjuna and showered on him His overpowering grace. Once Krishna said: "Arjuna, you are My closest Bhaktha(devotee); you are also My dearest friend. That is the reason why I taught you this supreme, secret teaching." Reflect on this! To get the title from the Lord Himself is the highest credential and good fortune, which reflects how pure-hearted and deserving Arjuna was. Bhakthi (devotion) must be won by implicit obedience. But being a devotee alone is not sufficient. Hence Krishna uses th e word mithra (friend). The friend has no fear; that makes him a more perfect recipient.
[SIZE=-1]- Geeta Vahini, Ch 7.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]He who is ever ready to sacrifice his comfort for helping another,
is the genuine devotee. - Baba
[/SIZE]

Beautiful post, I was not implying any thing, Renuka, just some fun.

I suppose these godmen with crores and hundreds of KGs gold squirreled away for a rainy day are well qualified to tell us Arjuna was wrong to hesitate to kill his own kith and kin. The winners write history, and charlatans tell us they are gods. Oh Gita, what a wonder you are.

I suppose these godmen with crores and hundreds of KGs gold squirreled away for a rainy day are well qualified to tell us Arjuna was wrong to hesitate to kill his own kith and kin. The winners write history, and charlatans tell us they are gods. Oh Gita, what a wonder you are.

The history of Gita was not written by either Krishna or Arjuna, but conveyed by Vyasa, though Krishna instructed and gave courage for Arjuna to fight. I don't think there wouldn't have been many on the battlefield left to remember or write about that, even if any did, they wouldn't have had such vast memory unless VyAsa with jnAna-dhristi ever told us. [so does all of the sruits/smritis]

Arjuna made innumerable conquests to show his might. How did his own Kith and Kin, suddenly became more important than any other life (in other conquests)? This is exactly we are facing in our own life. Do your duty irrespective of your obstacles/attachments, make up the Gita's message.

Spoken like someone who was there when it was written. What evidence is there that anything on Ma Bh. ever happened? There is ample evidence BG was a later interpolation. You can't find a single reference to BG in Azhvar pasurams. The Tamil writer Sujata wrote about this anomaly -- I don't have the reference handy. Vyasa and jnayana dhrushti is all well and good for the faithful, but the reality is, Arjuna was compassionate and this Lord Sri Krishna brainwashed him into a murderous war.

Dear Bro,

Why are you doing this to me? Am I supposed to chase over you?

Come on, you know that Srimathi Renuka Ji is Sri Sai Baba's Bhaktha and others also.

Why would you say such things? You could have communicated the same sentiment without involving this particular Godman. I thought we were going to define the parameters on this.

I don't understand this.

Is this the way you all posted during my absence and claim now that you all got along and did not need moderation?

This is just my opinion. Why do you want to intrude in to the conversation between folks who are believers, with your non believing views? Can you not let them have their own world intact? You won't convince them and vice versa. So why this intrusion?

I am really saddened that this is what that has come to pass.

Regards,
KRS

wow wow wow !!. well if enough time passes, people will start commenting that the WWII is/was all wrong. Hitler is a great man & the allied forces are the evil ones.

so when you see a hitler killing millions of jews, what do you all want to do. hesitate to kill him becos he is a human, kith, kin crap etc.. when a lady is getting molested, u want to wait, hesitate etc..

Arjuna does NOT follow the path of Dharma & hence Krishna castigates h

Pl unstd Lord Krishna & Bhagawad Gita are the pinnacle of our existence. The Gita in its infinite wisdom is the the crown jewel of our Dravidian/Vedic Civilization !.

Great epics - Ma Bh, Ramayana, Troy (Lanka is Troy, Lanka's version of Ramayana is immortalized in Homer's Illiad. wife gets kidnapped, triggers an extra-ordinary war - Read my posts under religion to understand our TRUE HISTORY) cannot exist in Vaccum. No one or group of people can imagine all these stories. These are based on historical kings/tales/stories/legends !!. Historians all over the world agree on this.

Dear brother Professor Nara Ji,

I think this is where you are wrong.

You say, 'I am speaking logic and you guys also defend by logic'.

The logic is this. For a Hindu, as you are well aware, Gita is a holy book. Sai Baba is a guru for millions of folks.These are faith based.

I understand you are an atheist. But you have no right to just throw around words, diminishing the artifacts of the faith, especially when people of faith are conversing. This then becomes an intrusion to spread your faith of atheism. If you want to do that, please defend your faith, not at the cost of diminishing other people's faith.

Please self edit. There is no need for this. I thought we were moving forward.

I am sad.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
1. Arjuna was a compassionate, but deluded and ignorant soul. But he had the wisdom to listen to Krishna and get to know what is good and what is evil. Some are not blessed with that buddhi. What to do, they are brain washed by demons and disjointed souls.

2. Bhagavd gita may or may not have interpolation; that is irrelevant. Enlightened souls or those who want to learn from gita know what to take and internalise. And they are spread across the globe. Why should we worry about alpa sankya?

3. Azhwars initially had made several references to gita, vedas and upanishads. But when collating, some samskritam/north hating misguided souls had deleted those pasurams and references. Their descendants live even today and shout inanities whether relevant or not. Vaishnavam existed even before the dawn of kaliyuga. But there are many passages in which azhwars have made a verbatim translation of gita and upanishads; sri velukkudi krishnan gives several examples in his upanyasams. Probably, the original 'cutters' and 'wipers' did not understand these passages and so let them stay.

4. Sujata wanted to write about the massacre of brahmins in srirangam temple by the invading muslims. He got threatening calls, and as a wise docile brahmin, did not proceed with that 'story'. He knows what is good for his survival. Anyway he has expressed a view and not penned it as QED.

Spoken like someone who was there when it was written. What evidence is there that anything on Ma Bh. ever happened? There is ample evidence BG was a later interpolation. You can't find a single reference to BG in Azhvar pasurams. The Tamil writer Sujata wrote about this anomaly -- I don't have the reference handy. Vyasa and jnayana dhrushti is all well and good for the faithful, but the reality is, Arjuna was compassionate and this Lord Sri Krishna brainwashed him into a murderous war.
BG is what Dritharastra saw through the eyes (drishti) of Sanjaya the happenings in the battle field. To that extent it appears to be part of MB. What if there is ample evidence to the contrary? That BG exists is undisputable and it provides enough messages for our life.

....Is this the way you all posted during my absence and claim now that you all got along and did not need moderation?
Yes brother, this is the way it was going, only that the incoming was always from the faithful -- those so hypocritically flaunt their sanatana dharma creds. I never bothered about any of this nonsense.

But, I have had it with these people. I am now responding, within the rules of the forum.

This is a General Forum, challenges to views however faithfully held by however many people, are allowed per rules -- unless the rules are changed for the occasion. I am not calling anybody any names, or making baseless scurrilous accusations, or making snide remarks like snake, etc. So why stop me? Of course you have the power to stop me and I will accept that without question.

Cheers!

3. Azhwars initially had made several references to gita, vedas and upanishads. But when collating, some samskritam/north hating misguided souls had deleted those pasurams and references.
The 4000 compendium we now have was compiled by Sriman Nathamunigal. So, if what you are saying is true, Nathamuni was a hating misguided soul who deleted all those initial verses that had references to gita. Would this not he hurting the sentiments of millions of SVs for whom Nathamuni is next only to Nammazhvar in their Acharya lineage?

My dear brother sarang, I understand your reverence for BG, I also like a lot of stuff in it, much of it is borrowed from Kapilar's Sankhya. But that does not mean it is not just another interpolation and the dharma it promoted for Arjuna was to kill his own kith and kin.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back