• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

cinema-society-values

Status
Not open for further replies.
we are more truthful and open now,as compared to older generation,who felt others opinion matters a lot and hence a show was the order of the day then.Now the show is different.Kali YUgam idellam saganjam thaanay :)

Dear friends,
I feel that the messages given in the filims of 70s and 80s have undergone a vast change now a days, The stress on values of joint family parents decision, brotherhoodness and social obligations have all undergone vast changes. Does it reflect the present society or is it othert way.?
To me it appears that while cinema reflects contemporary life to a certain extent, it also shapes the society in a subtle way. The latter role has become more prominent nowadays and, instead of looking at what is relevant or good for our society, cinema has downgraded itself to purely baser forms of entertainment, which alone probably makes it a profitable venture in the current scenario. To that extent it may be reflecting the choice of the people also.

i think cinema provides a need to entertain and not to educate. atleast the commercial cinema.

it is a business venture, and will produce what the society at large wants and eager to accept. i do not know the success rate of cinema (ie profitability) but i suspect it is less than 50%.

the movies of 60s, 70s had their masala mix by and large. if you take a sum total of 15 sub plots, about 5 of them were taken at random, put together and made a movie.

today's movies, i find, like ravana or vinnai thandi varuvaaya (two recent tamil movies i saw) go beyond that. vtv is a social movie which could happen to anyone. ravanan wa a commentary on the society and morals. i found both of the astounding and way way beyond in quality than the 'family' dramas of 60s, 70s.

i do not think movies influence morals. it is probably the other way around.

Dear Kunjupu, I agree with you that cinema is a entertainment one. But , especially in Tamilnaduand Andhra, I think, cinema influences the society more than anyother media. The filimpersonalities have a greater say even in Politics and in that way moulding the society. This wasthere in 80s and it still continues. In this context majority of filims i think give wrong message (exceptions are there as you have quoted)and have a greater role in influencing the society

i think cinema provides a need to entertain and not to educate. atleast the commercial cinema.

it is a business venture, and will produce what the society at large wants and eager to accept. i do not know the success rate of cinema (ie profitability) but i suspect it is less than 50%.
To say that commercial cinema is pure entertainment may not be correct in the Indian situation. We don't allow many of the freedoms which the western countries allow and some of their movies may not even be allowed here. Hence cinema here should subserve the ethos here and provide entertainment within that limitation. The cinemas during the struggle for Independence did play a vital role, providing entertainment at the same time.

the movies of 60s, 70s had their masala mix by and large. if you take a sum total of 15 sub plots, about 5 of them were taken at random, put together and made a movie.
I read somewhere that stories have to have one of some 30 or so plots; this number might have increased now with additional social agendas like homosexuality, lesbianism, drug addiction, and plots like that. Still, they are limited and not infinite in number. Even in Mahabharata, one will not find ever so many different themes but only several instances of general human conditions. Cinemas will therefore will always be some mix of theme/s and "masala".

today's movies, i find, like ravana or vinnai thandi varuvaaya (two recent tamil movies i saw) go beyond that. vtv is a social movie which could happen to anyone. ravanan wa a commentary on the society and morals. i found both of the astounding and way way beyond in quality than the 'family' dramas of 60s, 70s.
Raavan is a pervertion, in my opinion. This is yet another example of desecrating Hindu images for cheap money making. Plus the movie is full of extreme violence which will benumb our children and make them look for more aggressive violence to satisfy their taste. Here, I am told that the famous "Tom and Jerry" is now not seen as good for shaping the character of kids. Is that so?

vtv is a repeat of the eternal "kaadhal" theme but with a twist at the end. If someone views such "kaadhal" movies after a millennium, the impression one would get is likely to be that here was a social group where males were born to fall in so-called love at the very first opportunity in life (we have had shool children's kaadhal and may soon see kaadhal of kindergarten and even pre-KG infants!) but were not doing anything else at all - like the drone bees!

i do not think movies influence morals. it is probably the other way around.
It is a two-way reaction. Whether it works for the upliftment of the society or its moral downfall depends on the general consensus of the population as to which type of cinemas to accept and which not to.

Cinema has changed the political system in Tamilnadu and also at Andhra to some extent.

CNA wrote story and dialog for Cinema

Karunanidhi not only wrote story and dialog but also produced films

MGR and Jayalalitha acted in films as hero and heroin

Through Cinema dravidian movement was hijacked by a Malayali Actor and Tamil actress.

Vijayakanth is still acting in films.

Without cinema, there is no politics in Tamilnadu.

It has driven people like Kamaraj out of power in Tamilnadu.

If Tamilandu has to improve, Cinema has to be thrown out

All the best

Cinema has changed the political system in Tamilnadu and also at Andhra to some extent.

CNA wrote story and dialog for Cinema

Karunanidhi not only wrote story and dialog but also produced films

MGR and Jayalalitha acted in films as hero and heroin

Through Cinema dravidian movement was hijacked by a Malayali Actor and Tamil actress.

Vijayakanth is still acting in films.

Without cinema, there is no politics in Tamilnadu.

It has driven people like Kamaraj out of power in Tamilnadu.

If Tamilandu has to improve, Cinema has to be thrown out

All the best

jayalalithaa is a kannadiga mandyam ayyangar from mothers side so basically a kanta ie kanadda-tamil speaking origin now a naturalised tamil,and i believe rumors has it in mysore king wodeyar is her father not officially but a set up.dunoo wheter to believe all these rumors..now,tn has always been ruled by outsiders ie non-tamils and in 2015 the curse ends.tamils will have their own son of soil permanently.

compared to other states,where central govt funds flow,tamils have via cinema used it as a powerful medium to stay afloat in politics.if tn gets funding like new delhi gets,the entire state will be like singapore or malaysia.

Hence cinema here should subserve the ethos here and provide entertainment within that limitation. The cinemas during the struggle for Independence did play a vital role, providing entertainment at the same time.

During my school days in rural TN, cinema songs were the only source of daily entertainment for the masses. DMK utilized this medium very effectively. They used it to awaken and empower the poor and oppressed masses in TN.

Brahmins were pretty much tone deaf -- when they heard ஒன்று எங்கள் ஜாதி it did not evoke any feelings, but for the oppressed it was a call for asserting their rights, and they did by electing DMK to power.

Cheers!

During my school days in rural TN, cinema songs were the only source of daily entertainment for the masses. DMK utilized this medium very effectively. They used it to awaken and empower the poor and oppressed masses in TN.

Brahmins were pretty much tone deaf -- when they heard ஒன்று எங்கள் ஜாதி it did not evoke any feelings, but for the oppressed it was a call for asserting their rights, and they did by electing DMK to power.

Cheers!
I see it slightly in a different angle. DMK utilized the medium effectively OK But they used to empower only "சினிமா ஜாதி " Now cinema is a spring board to politics All film actors big or small is a prospective Chief Minister or at least a MLA It is too big a list to be reproduced but Kushboo is the latest to enter politics. May be a passport to become a CM and I recollect B. Shaw"s quip on Politics "Last resort of a scoundrel" Jambu:evil:

yes. & the ruling family completely controls the cine industry with many production houses and television channels and fully monopolised the industry and even reputed big production houses are keeping a low profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back