• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Cashless Isn’t Just Classist—It’s Bad for Business

prasad1

45 years ago my thesis was on "cashless society". I had convinced myself that Cashless would be a better way of life. But after the debacle of Demonetisation in India, I started to have a second thought on this subject. Now I am not sure that that is even desirable.

There’s a growing debate across the U.S., and internationally, about whether businesses should be required to accept cash in face-to-face transactions.

San Francisco and Philadelphia have banned cashless-only retailing, arguing that such businesses discriminate against low-income people who might not have bank accounts. The entire state of New Jersey has done likewise. And two billsthat would ban cashless stores have been introduced in Congress.

Meanwhile, the World Bank makes the case that the international rise of cashless commerce threatens to marginalize too many consumers and small businesses in emerging-market countries because people may not have bank accounts and merchants may not have access to reliable electronic payment technology.

There are compelling security, convenience, and business arguments for going cashless, of course. But such benefits would not outweigh the cost to society of leaving economically vulnerable people behind.

The fact is much of the world’s money still changes hands as cash. Data from the World Bank shows that small retailers transact $19 trillion in cash a year—nearly one-fourth of global GDP. And that’s not just in poor neighborhoods or low-income countries. In Europe, according to the global security company G4S, an estimated 79% of all point-of-sale transactions were conducted in cash last year—which was actually up from 60% in 2016.

In the U.S., the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco has calculated, even as online shopping continues to grow, 77% of payments are made in person, with cash accounting for 39% of the volume. And the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation estimated that in 2017, 14 million adults in 8.4 million U.S. households were “unbanked”—lacking a checking or savings account.

Going cashless sounds simple but, in reality, it requires access to a debit card or mobile wallet linked to a bank account, and the necessary point-of-sale technology and network access for businesses. Around 1.7 billion adults globally do not have access to a transaction account that can be used to receive payments and make deposits. In other words, the world is still a long way from having a completely cashless economy that would function for everyone.

All it takes is a walk through a bustling market in Cairo or Nairobi to see technology’s failure to accommodate the way many people want to do business. In Kenya, where so-called branchless banking is broadly available, and 16 million transactions happen daily on the M-Pesa mobile wallet, consumers still must often convert to cash before they can pay for many daily goods because the point-of-sale infrastructure simply isn’t there.

The global economy and the global spectrum of customer needs and accessible technologies are too varied to try to move too fast on any one approach.

In many countries, even where people have the ability to make online purchases, they often still need to need to pay for them in cash. That is why Western Union created systems enabling tens of millions of consumers across Asia, Africa, and South America to shop on Amazon’s website globally and pay in-person in the local currency. That’s a lot of new potential customers—business that companies like Amazon are happy to have.

A future with more payment options and more consumer choices is a future of vastly expanded opportunities for the world’s people and businesses. But it can happen only if we demand new ways of thinking about the payments ecosystem. There’s even room for innovation in physical currency, too: Imagine issuing smart cash embedded with RFID chips that would improve security and reduce counterfeiting.

Frankly this discussion on cashless is irrelevant and unworkable for india, as a large section of population is uneducated, not connected to Internet or banking services.

So the govt is wasting time and effort on such useless things. One of the biggest issues we have from this govt is the inability to focus on critical areas like farm crisis, growth and joblessness, exports, and deliver big time on it.

The currency war started by Bitcoin is to intensify next year with facebook crypto Librar and wallet calibra - Block chain technology is real challenge for the current regulated currencies Future seems to be crypto and not cash or cashless payments!

These exotic cryptocurrencies are just that. They are no threat to government-issued currencies. The governments of the world will squash it like a bug in a moments notice. there are very few takers and that too on a whim, so one can not trust it. A currency without trust is useless at best.

These exotic cryptocurrencies are just that. They are no threat to government-issued currencies. The governments of the world will squash it like a bug in a moments notice. there are very few takers and that too on a whim, so one can not trust it. A currency without trust is useless at best.
[/QUOTE]

You may think so but not the G7 countries

It is out of question’’ that Libra be allowed “become a sovereign currency,” Le Maire said at the time. “It can’t and it must not happen.”

In today’s comments, Villeroy said France aims to be “open to innovation” but firm on regulation.

Can't wish away crypto!

German European Parliament member Markus Ferber also called for scrutiny, saying companies “must not be allowed to operate in a regulatory nirvana when introducing virtual currencies.”

Please read the article you posted.

Cryptocurrency devotees have a dream that one day humanity will be free from the yoke of money issued and control by governments through central banks.

But the central bank for central banks has hit back to tell them they're dreaming.

The venerable Bank for International Settlements, a 90-year-old institution based in Switzerland, has issued a research report concluding that cryptocurrencies are afflicted with inherent contradictions that make their widespread use as money impossible.

First of all, one has to understand what money is.

It is a unit of account that allows us to compare the prices of different goods and services; a medium of exchange that allows us to buy and sell these without having to organise swaps; and, finally, a store of value that allows us to save to buy things in the future.

For all three of those functions, it is desirable that money is stable — that its value doesn't fluctuate wildly over short periods.

This hasn't always been the case for many forms of money, as the BIS acknowledges.

"Sustained episodes of stable money are historically much more of an exception than the norm," the BIS reported noted.

However, while it may be institutionally biased, the BIS found there is one model that does generally ensure monetary stability.

"The tried, trusted and resilient way to provide confidence in money in modern times is the independent central bank."

Cryptocurrencies fail the test of stability
There's no doubt that current cryptocurrencies fail spectacularly on the test of stability.
The restricted supply of most cryptocurrencies makes their prices volatile.PHOTO: The BIS says cryptocurrency prices are volatile, even those marketed as stable and linked to the US dollar. (Supplied: BIS)

This is the first fundamental contradiction of cryptocurrencies — most of them generate trust by limiting the amount of currency available, in the case of bitcoin to 21 million.
The problem with that is that during periods where there is greater demand for them, the supply is unable to respond.

This is theoretically a good feature for the store of value function of money, as your savings theoretically cannot be debased by creating more of the currency.

But it's not so good for the stability required for price comparisons or making transactions.
And it can backfire too for those trying to store value — just as there is no central bank to put downward pressure on the value of money, there's also no institution there to absorb potential losses and prop up the value of cryptocurrencies in times of crisis.

The second contradiction is that the very thing that gives money legitimacy — widespread acceptance and use — causes cryptocurrency transactions to become slower and more expensive.

"Money has value because it has users, we use it as money," explained the BIS's head of research Hyun Song Shin in a video.

"Without users it would simply be a worthless token and that's true whether it's a piece of paper with a face on it or a digital token."

When demand for cryptocurrencies spikes, the cost of transactions increases dramatically as miners charge more for verifying them through the blockchains.

Mr Shin observed that bitcoin transaction costs peaked at $US57 last December.
"If you bought a $2 coffee with bitcoin you would have had to pay $57 to make that transaction go through."

Cryptocurrencies is that their creators have overlooked a fundamental fact: Money isn't viable if it fluctuates in value, particularly with the wild swings characteristic of this sector. Most buyers are looking to make a quick buck, treating Bitcoin et al. like penny stocks of yore. They forget that the very instability of government-produced money is one of the two critical reasons cryptocurrencies were created in the first place (the other being privacy). If in 2013 you had taken out a mortgage for $250,000 in Bitcoin, you'd owe the bank roughly $18 million today (May 8, 2018, 06:00am).

Until one of these digital monies effectively ties itself to gold, a basket of commodities or a bundle of major currencies, it will never replace the flawed, traditional central bank currencies we're currently stuck with. To be a true alternative, a cryptocurrency must also be easy to use for day-to-day transactions. Moreover, the supply can't be artificially restricted. Fabricated scarcity doesn't create value; utility and trustworthiness do. Look at the Swiss franc. Its supply is enormous. But because its long-term stability has been better by far than that of any other currency in the world over the past 100 years, people find it highly desirable.

As wise monetary gurus such as Nathan Lewis and John Tamny have pointed out, Bitcoin's wild swings graphically underscore why monetary unreliability is so destructive. The dollar's instability since we abandoned the gold standard in the early 1970s is a slow-motion version of what is happening to cryptocurrencies.

Money has value because it has users, we use it as money," explained the BIS's head of research Hyun Song Shin in a video.

"Without users it would simply be a worthless token and that's true whether it's a piece of paper with a face on it or a digital token."(#7)

This will never happen if you crush it and kill it as a bug G 7 is now open for innovation
and technology and thinking of controlling or regulating it ! That is sensible and practical unlike knee jerk - kill it like a bug!

France is creating a G7 task force to study how central banks ensure cryptocurrencies like Facebook’s Libra are governed by regulations ranging from money-laundering laws to consumer-protection rules, France’s central bank governor said on Friday.

Bank of England Governor Mark Carney said Libra had to be safe or it would not happen, and that the world’s major central banks would need to have oversight.

France, which holds the rotating presidency of the Group of Seven nations, has said it does not oppose Facebook’s creating an instrument for financial transactions. But it adamantly opposes that instrument becoming a sovereign currency.

“We want to combine being open to innovation with firmness on regulation. This is in everyone’s interest,” Villeroy told finance industry officials.

The concept of a “stable” cryptocurrency still needs to be defined, Villeroy said. In particular, what such instruments are stable against and how fixed their exchange rates are need to be determined.

Villeroy also called for a network of national anti-money-laundering authorities, coordinated by the European Banking Authority, to carry out emergency measures and even substitute for national authorities, rather than creating a specializd European agency.

Several ECB officials, including Coeure, have argued in favor of creating such an agency over the past months.

Cryptos introduced by private players will rarely see the light at the end of the day. Due to their pricing, volatility, and acceptance issues.

The only way I see this going mainstream is if central banks, introduce a crypto currency to existing currencies like dollar, euro yen, etc.. Then people will switch the digital transactions to these cryptos, monitored, and supported by central bankers.

There are compelling security, convenience, and business arguments for going cashless, of course(1#)

My personal experience - Till 3 years back I was dealing only in cash (though we had 12 debit cards - never swiped) - J was in active practice with large cash flow - But with 0 cash flow now I am cash less and is convenient easy secure ! Yes bank gave me a life long credit card as compliment without me applying for ! I was hesitant initially and did not activate it. My son explained about the usefulness of credit card and initiated me to use it . Now I swear by credit card - But make sure of prompt repayments on billing cycles! I pay the full amount and not the minimum payable - It means interest free credit If you default you may be in debt trap - interest could be 3.5% monthly or 40% PA .

Debit cards - compelled to use once in 6 months atleast gets locked otherwise!

Crypto Ponzi Scheme Says It Has ‘No Cash to Pay out’ to Upset Investors.

Bitcoin Wallet, a lucrative South African “investment scheme,” used to attract hundreds of investors a day, many of whom clamored at the company’s doors to invest. Now, the company’s shuttered office is attracting hundreds of protestors demanding their cash back, according to Ladysmith Gazette.

As of July 4, the enterprise that many regulators and media had begun suspecting of operating as a Ponzi scheme shut down. The firm enticed investors with promises of 100-percent returns in just over two weeks by reinvesting customer deposits in cryptocurrencies. These same investors want to know where their money went now that the company closed.

Bitcoin Wallet founder Sphelele “Sgumza” Mbatha admitted to the Ladysmith Gazette on Saturday that he doesn’t have any more cash to pay out to clients.

Do you know singapore makes crypto currency available in malls.By allowing access, they make it possible for

citizens to trade this currency.It is their way of making peace with this currency.They have not lost anything by

doing this.Singapore Dollar is far more stable than indian rupee. Rupee gets devalued by 3.5% every year

against the dollar.In india crypto currencies are banned.It shows that we are an insecure nation. We also fear

counterfeiting of the rupee. We keep releasing new version of currency notes frequently.

We have thrust digital transactions and debit/credit cards on our people.

Large sections of population are comfortable with cash payments.

Uber ,ola cars feel happy to receive cash instead of card payments

Most low star eateries prefer cash.

Merchants in textile stores charge a fee for card payments.

I find cards useful only for paying utility bills online and rail and air tickets besides hotels for stay.

I feel insecure if I do not have cash .

I hardly deal in cash I prefer credit (not debit) card which I started using about an year ago - In certain situations where coins and low denomination currency is absolutely needed I am stumped! The ATM s donot dispence as per my needs This situation I face when ever I vist a temple - Rs.20 Rs 50 to put in the தட்டு of the gurukal and 5 or 10 Rs coins for the poor at the entrance for தர்மம்! Not able to add credit to my புண்ணியம் A/C !
I don't visit banks All transactions are in Mobile or in net banking It is easy!

Last edited:

Latest ads

Back