• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

can we trust World Vision (christian Missionary)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an email from World Vision India located in Kodambakkam, Chennai, asking for donation of Rs.600/month sponsoring a child to be charged to any credit card.
I remember this orgnaization to be a chrsitian missionary in India. Could somebody tell me if this is a legitimate cause (without any proselytizing);has any of our members donated to this charity? The site does say this:

World Vision is a Christian humanitarian organisation working to create lasting change in the lives of children, families and
communities living in poverty and injustice. World Vision serves all people regardless of religion, caste, race, ethnicity or gender.

I also wonder if there is any home-grown organization that does similar service to poor children, without any religious overtones.

personally, i avoid such charities.

in canada, i give to specified disease funding. in india, usually kit or personally some poor family.

i don't know much about world vision.

this is a viewpoint: The truth about World Vision - Christian Aggression

no saying how the organization actually works.

there is one common problem with a good many christian charities - they do good work, but unfortunately their motive is conversion.
as regards their vested interests, one never knows.

While World Vision claims it is not an evangelistic organisation: http://www.google.com.sg/url?sa=t&s...gelism&usg=AFQjCNHAwf4dxTTbAIYTgi4o_JpSkgoDPA yet this link clearly states they do evangelize: http://www.godrules.net/charity.htm

I just got an email from World Vision India located in Kodambakkam, Chennai, asking for donation of Rs.600/month sponsoring a child to be charged to any credit card.
I remember this orgnaization to be a chrsitian missionary in India. Could somebody tell me if this is a legitimate cause (without any proselytizing);has any of our members donated to this charity? The site does say this:

World Vision is a Christian humanitarian organisation working to create lasting change in the lives of children, families and
communities living in poverty and injustice. World Vision serves all people regardless of religion, caste, race, ethnicity or gender.

I also wonder if there is any home-grown organization that does similar service to poor children, without any religious overtones.

Dear Sri Silverfox ji,

I have already written in our forums about the following organisation

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/sponso...da-vidyalaya-andal-mantapam-pazhaverkadu.html

The swamiji incharge of the project is still on tour and I shall try to meet him personally. Ms.Sheela Balaji W/O Sri T.K.Balaji, Chairman of Lucas TVS Ltd is associated with the project. CII, KPMG,NIIT have all donated for the project.

I shall keep you informed about the developments.

All the best

World vision has very strong christian overtures that it is impossible for them to not indulge in conversions.

You may please try Udhavum Karangal or Sevalaya (Sevalaya Start)

Ms.Happay Hindu ji has given enough proof about the motives and operations of World Vision.

Sri Silverfox ji- If you intend donating for charitable purpose, please visit the organisations personally during your next India visit, satisfy yourself and then do the needful.

All the best

After Sunami, World Vision was the first to come up with an ad, in the Hindu, highlighting the sufferings of the people and appealing for funds. I sent some amount. Later, I learnt that the money is used for conversion and then I stopped.

I visited Sevalaya (Sevalaya Start) personally and found that it is doing real service without considering religion or caste, based on the principles of Bharathi, Gandhi and Vivekananda. I think, it is run by a TB.

Though a lot of Christian organisations are involved in charity there is also a subtle and some times not so subtle message of conversion behind this. I almost got fooled once by this. There was once a very nice article about an American woman running a charity in Chennai with which a prominent Indian was associated as well. Quite impressed by their work I wrote to this American stating I wish to sponsor a child and got a reply back. Then I went to their impressive website and read everything in there. I read the profile of their board members and found a lot of them holding prominent Church positions in the States. There were also details as to the various methods of sponsoring a child. You can sponsor a child and send gifts to them as well only on their birthdays and Christmas. Set me thinking. Why not on other occasions like Diwali or Eid, even if the child is a Hindu or Muslim. There may not be a outright conversion process here but nevertheless a subtle message gets to the child - receiving gifts only on Christmas - an association with Christianity or only Jesus as god.

I think it is good to fully research the background of any charitable organisation before making a donation. It is true for Hindu sounding entities as well because a lot of Christian organisations adopt Hindu names. I think better still is to provide money to someone you know personally. Like sponsoring your house-maid's child for education or marriage. This way we know at least where the money goes.

Dear Ms. Happyhindu:
Thank you very much for the links; I am enlightened! As Mr. Venkatramani says, I will have to visit these places to satisfy myself before donating.
Thanks again!

Here is a link was searching for earlier: LankaWeb News

This hyper has a better presentation of the write-up by Hilda Raja than the christianaggression website: Crusade Watch, Religious Conversion Watch, Evangelism watch - The truth about World Vision

Some other interesting links (not related to WV):
Crusade Watch, Religious Conversion Watch, Evangelism watch - Missionary Finances

Dear happyhinduji,
You are right. I have also read an article by Mrs.Hilda Raja. World vision and many other charitable organizations managed by christian missionaries do indulge in religious conversion. Venkat

Any information on CRY and Helpage India?

Each and every organisation works through local units. One has to get himself convinced about the people involved with the local units and then decide whether to support or not. Helpage India seems to have no hidden agenda to preach any religion. I have some doubt about CRY.

The main problem with most of the charitable organisations is lack of transparency. Once they publish their annual accounts duly audited in their website, then credibility will go up. They should publish list of people who have donated with amount and list of projects executed. This will give more confidence for all of us.

All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back