• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Can mushrooms help delay or prevent dementia and Alzheimer's disease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tks

I know many people do not like to eat mushrooms - Biologically it does not grow like a vegetables and develops more like an animal.

Do TB household eat mushrooms these days in hotels for example, or is it still a taboo?

Recent research shows medicinal property of some classes of mushrooms

Source
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-01/mali-cmh012417.php
Not sure how reputable this research is

=================================================================

New Rochelle, NY, Jan. 24, 2017 -- Certain edible and medicinal mushrooms contain bioactive compounds that may enhance nerve growth in the brain and protect against neurotoxic stimuli such as inflammation that contribute to neurodegenerative diseases like dementia and Alzheimer's disease. The evidence supporting a potential role of mushrooms as functional foods to reduce or delay development of age-related neurodegeneration is presented in an article published in Journal of Medicinal Food, a peer-reviewed journal from Mary Ann Liebert, Inc., publishers. The article is available free on the Journal of Medicinal Food website until February 24, 2017.

In "Edible and Medicinal Mushrooms: Emerging Brain Food for the Mitigation of Neurodegenerative Diseases," Chia Wei Phan, Pamela David, and Vikineswary Sabaratnam, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, discuss the scientific findings related to the health benefits of edible and culinary mushrooms. The authors focus on the activity of bioactive components of mushrooms that may offer neuroprotective and cognitive benefits.

"In contrast to the body of literature on food ingredients that may benefit cardiometabolic diseases and cancer, very few studies have focused on food that may benefit neurodegenerative diseases," says Journal of Medicinal Food Editor-in-Chief Sampath Parthasarathy, MBA, PhD, Florida Hospital Chair in Cardiovascular Sciences and Interim Associate Dean, College of Medicine, University of Central Florida. "The current study might stimulate the identification of more food materials that are neuroprotective."

Andrew Weil, MD, is a huge fan of mushrooms. A longtime mushroom hunter, he seeks them out because of their taste and health benefits. And Weil, founder and director of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona Health Sciences Center, likes to share his enthusiasm for these fungi.
"I have always extolled both their nutritional and health benefits, in part to help dispel the general fear of mushrooms...," Weil tells WebMD in an email. He says research supports the use of select medicinal mushrooms for their anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiviral, and immune-enhancing properties.

[FONT=&quot]Mushrooms offer so much that is good for you, says New York dietician Marjorie Nolan, MS, RD. They are a good source of protein as well as [/FONT]antioxidants[FONT=&quot] such as [/FONT]selenium[FONT=&quot], which helps to prevent cell damage, and copper, a mineral that aids in the production of red [/FONT]blood cells[FONT=&quot]. In fact, mushrooms are the only produce that contains significant amounts of selenium.[/FONT]

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/types-of-mushrooms#1

I do not eat mushrooms, because of upbringing, and culture. In the place we lived mushrooms were called "kukur Muta", meaning it had related to place dogs pee. It is still vivid in my mind (of course it is wrong).

Last edited:
As I live in North, mushroom is quite commonly used..I do not dislike mushrooms..There are many items like pudina, bottle gourd, water melon which was taboo in our households ..Now these are consumed..The last 2 are widely used by diabetics to control sugar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back