• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

can brahmin eat egg?

• Thread starter Thread starter S.Ramanathan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

S.Ramanathan

I want to know your views on the food habits and its relation with brahmins. Does it mean those who eat non veg or non brahmins and those who do not eat non veg or brahmins else those who by performing religious acts like performing homams,etc are brahmins and others are non brahmins? Is it a crime if a brahmin eats egg?

I want to know your views on the food habits and its relation with brahmins. Does it mean those who eat non veg or non brahmins and those who do not eat non veg or brahmins else those who by performing religious acts like performing homams,etc are brahmins and others are non brahmins? Is it a crime if a brahmin eats egg?

Dear sir,

Eggs falls under Rajas type of food hence not conducive for spiritual progress.

Some might argue on technical grounds that farm eggs are not fertilized hence no loss of lives but on a personal note I don't eat eggs cos of the torture hens in egg farms go through to produce eggs.

They are placed in cramped up cages where they cannot even stand up and are even at times given electric shocks to increase egg production.

Nowadays many people from various communities and religions adopt vegetarianism/veganism for various reasons.

In bengal brahmins eat fish. They say fish is a holy food. Also they say milk is not vegetarian since it is the blood of the cow converted in the form of milk.

In Bengal they used to name FISH as," Jala Pushpam " . We used to say " Any thing that is white is considered Sacred ". (Vellai Pandaththukku Thosham Illai ). So we consider MILK as Holi .

As regards EGG it is now available in any Huge Quantity.It became an essential Food.

On those days Only Naattu Kozhi alone was the Only source of egg.

Now broiler chickens replaced Nattu Kozi . So as per today's Trend There is no harm in using egg. But at the same time we can avoid it on Precious Days.

In bengal brahmins eat fish. They say fish is a holy food. Also they say milk is not vegetarian since it is the blood of the cow converted in the form of milk.

Dear sir,

Blood is not converted to milk.If that was true that means we humans are blood sucking vampires living off mothers milk!! Can you imagine babies as little vampires?LOL!!!

baby_vampire_1634095.jpg

Dear Ramanathan, Greetings.

Why does this question crop up in the first place? If egg is considered for health benefits, kindly forget about that. Egg is not all that healthy at all. In fact, it is unhealthy. If egg is eaten for the taste of it, then it is different; it need not be eaten very often. For Indian conditions, even vegetables are not that healthy because of fertilisers and pesticides. But comparitively, vegetarian diet is the way to go. I will be more than happy to settle in a 'middle of nowhere' place with access to water and about 1/2 an acre of land ( could cost about 25 to 30 lakhs rupees). Just grow vegetables and cook that everyday..... I can live without rice too! ( I will miss Jack Daniels though!).

Cheers!

s.ramanathan asks here a good question '[h=1]can brahmin eat egg?[/h]

why this kind of question has come up ? why not move further a step, and ask, can brahmin eat beef?

Dear Ramanathan,

Culture has an impact on genes over a length of time. This is not a baseless statement. This has been proved scientifically by anthropologists beyond doubt. If your ancestors had chosen deliberately to follow a certain cultural practice(culture includes specific food habits too) and had followed it for a long time it would mean your genes have been influenced sufficiently by these practices. Why do you want to experiment now with a 180 degree turn around?

Once in Kerala I was in a hotel partying with friends ( in Kottayam). Many of my friends are hard drinkers who can manage their drinks well. I do not drink alcohol. a christian friend in the group that day was insisting that I should taste a peg of good quality whisky and when his request became repetitive and insistant, another friend of me who is also a christian said this to his friend " Leave him alone. Dont make him taste liquor. Knowing him as a pattar (malayalam for brahmin) I wont recommend that . If he gets a taste for whisky he wont stop with a peg or two or three as we do but will go full length into it to find what is there at the end. That is what a pattar is". May be that is why I recommend to every brahmin friend of me to avoid liquor. I know there are pattars who manage themselves well despite the drinks. I do not mean that they are not pattars.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Dear Ramanathan, Greetings.

Why does this question crop up in the first place?

If egg is considered for health benefits, kindly forget about that. Egg is not all that healthy at all. In fact, it is unhealthy. If egg is eaten for the taste of it, then it is different; it need not be eaten very often. For Indian conditions, even vegetables are not that healthy because of fertilisers and pesticides. But comparitively, vegetarian diet is the way to go. I will be more than happy to settle in a 'middle of nowhere' place with access to water and about 1/2 an acre of land ( could cost about 25 to 30 lakhs rupees). Just grow vegetables and cook that everyday..... I can live without rice too! ( I will miss Jack Daniels though!).

Cheers!

sh. ragy, what would have been your answer, if i had opened a similar thread asking 'Can Brahmin gulp JD?

hope you wouldnt have stated with the same old question,Why does this question crop up in the first place?

dont take it serious.. its just a banter! (with hundred smileys)

Well if one goes to the extremes eating anything is sin and starving oneself to death is illegal. People in Jain community have proved that vegetables can fully replace eggs. That is considering that meat and fowl are forbidden. If the hen laying the egg say, if it has the premonition, the life inside the shell has already shunned this world eating that could be pardonable that too for necessity to supplement the needs of one's body. But eating vegetable is least sinful to be eligible for a better after life. Science tells bovine milk is not consumable for humans (maybe, because of that they add 'available' water to it). In that case how can you drink your mother's milk? Well, we do not know whether drinking/sucking mother's milk is 'dharmic' or 'adharmic'. There are many questions like "whether egg came first or the hen?" I do not know why, here again, nobody talks of the Cock? Well, doubting is typical Brahmin quality. Let us do the least sinful yet keep doubting about that.

Dear Shiv, Greetings.

It's been a long time! Welcome back.
sh. ragy, what would have been your answer, if i had opened a similar thread asking 'Can Brahmin gulp JD?

My answer is ... " JD is pure vegetarian! It is only from plant products! ( can't reject fermentation.. we get idli dough also after fermentation!). So, should be perfectly alright for vegetarians! ( I amnot saying 'brahmins'. I don't want to bring a community in this).

Cheers!

Dear Shiv, Greetings.

It's been a long time! Welcome back.

My answer is ... " JD is pure vegetarian! It is only from plant products! ( can't reject fermentation.. we get idli dough also after fermentation!). So, should be perfectly alright for vegetarians! ( I amnot saying 'brahmins'. I don't want to bring a community in this).

Cheers!

hmm! so you would not be having any issues if cannabis stativa is sold in the ranganathan street vegetable market just like any other kEerai bundles! :)

but definitely not egg..

Last edited by a moderator:
Food habits are cultural, and depend on the type of lifestyle. Like Ms. Renuka said Egg and JD both are rajasic food and not conducive for spiritual progress.

Mr. Raghy you seem to be in love with JD, it is your prerogative, but do you need to remind us in everyone of your post. What are you trying to prove?

I try to be vegan, but do not make a fuss. In my home I am vegan, outside I compromise and eat milk product.

Do as little harm as possible (ahimsa).

Mr. Ramnathan what was the purpose of this thread? I suppose you are not going to change your food habits, because of what is said here, and you are not going to find justification for your life style either.

Last edited:
Food habits became cultural, after it encountered defiance, exploration and peer-pressures.

When people become more materialistic, they just see the FACE VALUE of things, rather than the drilled-down (logic on) consequences/background behind such exercise. Such foods may keep your well nutritioned, but would add to other influences like hyper-activity/wilderness, diseases/stress (due to the excess that our body can't handle). This is exactly how chicken, eggs, mushrooms can be healthy at FACE VALUE for modern Brahmins ;), but consuming them lacks underlying ethics.

Like one gentleman said, the fermentation in the Yogurt and Dosa is same as that of Wine/Alcohol. At FACE VALUE, they look similar, but the former case of fermentation is required for the body to generate B12 on itself rather than go for meat-liver. The case of alcohol, would be addictive and hence detrimental to health, brain functioning (consciousness/ethics). http://www.rawfoodexplained.com/why-we-should-not-eat-meat/vitamin-b12.html

Also, the cow's milk/dairy products are suggested in our culture, to substitute the nutritional needs of our body and sustenance [not for luxury/health craze]. A vegetarian cow or vegetarian mother's milk should be considered vegetarian, for dosham criteria. Though debatable, IMO, the hormones/enzymes should be based on the food intake [as opposed to body nature]. Plus, Cow's milk, apples and carrots are the poor man's granary. Milk has slow metabolic nature and hence low gycemic load/index, that can substitute starchy carbs and avoid over-eating. Likewise, Yogurt promotes good bacteria. Our own body has own gut-flora (bacteria) through mother's womb, thus if we don't consume acidic starchy foods, we won't kill them either. Thus, Milk products are consumed more on the pre-cautionary side than on a mandory note. Dairy Causes Mucus Herbs Get Rid Mucus Herbal Remedy

Coming to the orthodoxy regime, the real vaidikas dont consume much of fermented foods, pickles (not offered to the gods either) and avoid acidic, seedy, starchy foods . Also, they consume only ghee for purifactory purposes.

So, a real Brahmin (by values!) should always be consciously drawing ethical/spiritual lines between "problem-free" healthy sustenance and "detrimental" greed/desire.

Last edited:
hmm! so you would not be having any issues if cannabis stativa is sold in the ranganathan street vegetable market just like any other kEerai bundles! :)

but definitely not egg..

It would be even better if I cook that green leaves like any other Keerai and serve to to Mrs.R.....

Cheers!

Sri.Prasad, Greetings.

Mr. Raghy you seem to be in love with JD, it is your prerogative, but do you need to remind us in everyone of your post. What are you trying to prove?

I was laughing when I read your comment. Am I mentioning JD that often? Well, it's all just for fun! By the way, my messages mostly contain other informations too. It's a pity you keep getting attracted to JD. I will try to be mindful in the future.

Cheers!

Sri.Prasad, Greetings.

I was laughing when I read your comment. Am I mentioning JD that often? Well, it's all just for fun! By the way, my messages mostly contain other informations too. It's a pity you keep getting attracted to JD. I will try to be mindful in the future.

Cheers!

i must admit, you are too much a diplomatic huh!! making it politically correct always..

ten cheers to you ragy.

Sri.Prasad, Greetings.

Cheers!
I am happy that I make you laugh. Your message gets lost with your love of JD, It is like coming nude to deliver speech at a convent school. I was "distracted" by your love of the bottle and not attracted to JD.

I am happy that I make you laugh. Your message gets lost with your love of JD, It is like coming nude to deliver speech at a convent school. I was "distracted" by your love of the bottle and not attracted to JD.

Alright Prasad,

You said this

I replied with a bit of sense humour to ease the situation, I said
. Although I don't need to, I even said "I will try to be mindful in the future".

In reply you say this

Kindly show me I mentioned about JD in every message; I have posted over 2,200 messages. Go on, show it to me, please. Thank you.

Alright Prasad,

You said this

I replied with a bit of sense humour to ease the situation, I said . Although I don't need to, I even said "I will try to be mindful in the future".

In reply you say this

Kindly show me I mentioned about JD in every message; I have posted over 2,200 messages. Go on, show it to me, please. Thank you.
Please it was in jest, just as your post was. I did not mean any offense, please accept my apology.

Please it was in jest, just as your post was. I did not mean any offense, please accept my apology.

Dear Prasad, Greetings.

You didn't need to aplogise. Once you cleared you wrote in jest, that's fine. I accept your position. Thanks.

Cheers!

Brahmins do not eat egg and some bakery items which is prepared by egg may also to be avoidable,and to avoid red star printed on the cartons of the food items also.

Mr. Ramnathan,
You post a question, members take time to post replies for your question. The expectation is that you will join in the conversation. You have been missing from the thread. Please tell us your reasons and views.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back