• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Can Birds Predict Your Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Manoharkumar

Thanks. From ghosts, let me go to my original post.
Like Vikramaditya, many people can talk to birds.

There are two criteria:

1. You must be in the same wavelength.
2.You must love them and think no harm to any animal.
That is how great people like Ramana Maharishi sat with tiger without any fear.

Please read my two other posts available in my blogs as well Tamilbrahmins.com

1.சிட்டுக்குருவி, சிட்டுக்குருவி சேதி தெரியுமா? 2.அதிசய பறவைத் தமிழன்

Hello DR, post 23 ,is practial and good though too .I hope we can start separate OP on it ,were all can share their views I can say a lot of my freind.(hope i do not want to deviate it.)

The reason of departure of sparrows is the towers built for cellphones. They are so weak to bear the rays emitted by the towers. It is fortunate for me to see sparrows and even eagles visiting our terrace while we walk in the morning at Kolkata. Recently a ghost's picture was captured in a cellphone and was shown in a tv show in Tamilnadu. It was told that it was the avi of some girl whose body was killed and thrown by some body in a vacant plot.

Dear Ramanathan

London newspapers also publish pictures of ghosts now and then. There is even tours to Ghosts' houses. Spooky House tours are popular among believers of para normal powers. They publish all the details about spooky houses during Halloween Day in November every year.I have got some paper cuttings of famous/notorious spooky houses.

The reason of departure of sparrows is the towers built for cellphones. They are so weak to bear the rays emitted by the towers. It is fortunate for me to see sparrows and even eagles visiting our terrace while we walk in the morning at Kolkata. Recently a ghost's picture was captured in a cellphone and was shown in a tv show in Tamilnadu. It was told that it was the avi of some girl whose body was killed and thrown by some body in a vacant plot.

You may have found the answer. Birds can tell our future in a way.

Sparrow population continues to decline in urban areas of India. Lack of research and understanding has aggravated the rate of their disappearance. These birds being an indicator of environmental health, needs to be saved before they become extinct.

Since sparrows are sensitive to changes in the environment, they serve as an important bio-indicator for a healthy urban ecosystem, indirectly indicating human health, and their decline today has started resulting in increasing diseases among the people, said Neeraj Khera, Technical Expert – Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). She added that the growing numbers of rock pigeons has created an imbalance among the species and they now dominate the bird population.

Calling sparrows a star species, Koustubh Sharma, Research Associate, Nature Conservation Foundation & Co-investigator, BNHS-Citizen Sparrow Project, noted that in the same way as snow leopards are considered indicators of climate and environmental changes at higher altitudes, sparrows are indicators of such changes in the urban ecosystem; and hence can be regarded as the snow leopard of the urban ecosystem.

Mr. London instead of worrying about the omen, we should be more worried about the environment.

Dear Prasad

I agree with you on everything except the last sentence.
I am amateur ornithologist.
I have 2000 different stamps on birds and many books on birds.
That is the reason I wrote two posts

even before you people raised concern about sparrows.

Read the last sentence in my earlier post on SITTUK KURUVI.

LONG LIVE SITTUK KURUVIs!

Dear Prasad

I agree with you on everything except the last sentence.
I am amateur ornithologist.
I have 2000 different stamps on birds and many books on birds.
That is the reason I wrote two posts

even before you people raised concern about sparrows.

Read the last sentence in my earlier post on SITTUK KURUVI.

LONG LIVE SITTUK KURUVIs!

Unfortunately I do not read Tamil script.

What a shame!

Tamil is one of the greatest languages in the world!
An Indian can understand Indian culture=Hindu culture fully well, only when that person understands/knows both the classical languages of India: Sanskrit and Tamil.

I have read some scholars' papers on linguistics and Tamil and Sanskrit literature which contain basic mistakes/blunders. This is because they did not know the two languages. No proficiency is required, at least some understanding is required.

I have read several English articles about the location of Ramayana Lanka. All they quoted came from Valmiki Ramayana. But there are innumerable references in Tamil hymns of Alvars and Nayanmars about the location of Lanka. That is the same as modern Sri Lanka. Only now Sri Lankan government (Buddhists) has accepted the truth and started promoting Ramayana Tourism.

One another typical example is, Tamils have been worshiping Vedic Gods from time immemorial according to Tolkappiyam. But people in the North are mislead by Atheistic propaganda. They believe or think Tamils are Anti Hindu, Anti Indian Culture. There is only one culture , call it Vedic, Indian or Tamil. It is all the same.This will be clear only when one has knowledge in both the languages.

I salute Tolkappian , the greatest of the Tamil Grammarians, everyday for saying that Tamils' ancient Gods are Indra and Varuna. As a Brahmin I worship Indra and Varuna along with Agni, Vayu, Mitra, Viswe Deva every morning in my Sandhya vandhanam. I am proud of continuing the Tamil Hindu tradition that started on the banks of River Saraswati thousands of years ago.

Unfortunately I do not read Tamil script.
Dear Mr.Prasad, yes i am also disappointed on reading this. Your english proficiency made me think your tamil would also be beautiful. As mentioned by Mr.LS, you are missing out a lot by not reading tamil scripts. Just for the sake of enjoying the language flow of master author Kalki, you should read tamil. TB forum would benefit a lot more when you mix your thoughts and writings in both these langauages. Cheers. London Swami Sir, Salute you for the last para of your reply. Felt very proud to be associated with you thru this forum that inspite of living in a distant land for so many years you still uphold our tradition. Great!! Cheers.

I do not see why anyone need to feel sad or disappointed that Prasad Ji does not read Tamil.
Even though I read English,Malay,Sanskrit,some Tamil,some Hindi,...I still feel it is a matter of personal interest and knowledge can come from any direction and in any language.

It is no big deal knowing many languages if we do not ever gain any Atma Jnana.

As long the person knows how to save himself from drowning in the Ocean of Samsara that is more than enough.

I am very reminded of this story:

The Learned Pandit

One day several men were crossing the river on a ferry boat. One of them was a learned Pandit. The Pandit decided to discuss the Hindu scriptures with a fellow passenger in order to pass the time and show off his knowledge.

So he turned to one of them and began, �I presume you have read the Upanishad?

The passenger humbly replied, �No Sir, I have not!�

�You didn�t!� said the Pandit in surprise. �A quarter of your life has been wasted!�

�But then you must have read Shashtras!� the Pandit continued.

�No, Sir, I can�t say that I have!� the passenger replied, feeling quite distressed.

�Well then half of your life is wasted!� said the Pandit arrogantly.

�What about the six systems of Hindu philosophy?� asked the Pandit in a final effort to begin an intellectual discourse.

�I am afraid I haven�t even heard of them, Sir!� the passenger replied.

�Not heard of them? Then, my friend, three-fourths of your life is wasted.�
Just as the Pandit said this, he found the boat suddenly began to pitch in increasing violent waves.

�There is a storm and I cannot control the boat!� the boatman shouted. It is going to capsize! Jump overboard and swim to the shore!�

The Pandit looked terrified. �Don�t you know how to swim?� the fellow passenger asked.

�No, I never learnt swimming!� the Pandit moaned.

�You never learnt swimming! Then your whole life is gone, Panditji� the passenger replied smugly as he jumped out of the sinking boat.

So, knowledge derived from books is not enough.
One must acquire practical learning too.

Last edited:
Hi Renuka

For Atma Jnana you dont need any language. Silence in front of Dakshinamurty statue or a great soul like Ramana Maharishi, Kanchi Paramacharya is enough. But we are talking about research, debates, discussions, arguments etc. where you need knowledge in two languages if you want to fully understand our culture.

I agree with you on one point. No one needs to feel sad or disappointed. Prasad is great in his own way. He can be greater if he knows both the languages.

In one of my posts I have quoted Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa where in he said dont waste your time in unimportant researches like How many leaves are there in a tree? Think about God. This advise is good for people who are after Brahman. But we are after Brahmins to show off our knowledge!!

You are confusing mother tongue with other languages. If one already knows a language, especially the mother tongue, it is worth learning the script. Do you use the native script of the language (I know you know devanagiri) or roman script for other languages?

I do not see why anyone need to feel sad or disappointed that Prasad Ji does not read Tamil.
Even though I read English,Malay,Sanskrit,some Tamil,some Hindi,...I still feel it is a matter of personal interest and knowledge can come from any direction and in any language.

It is no big deal knowing many languages if we do not ever gain any Atma Jnana.

As long the person knows how to save himself from drowning in the Ocean of Samsara that is more than enough.

I am very reminded of this story:

The Learned Pandit

One day several men were crossing the river on a ferry boat. One of them was a learned Pandit. The Pandit decided to discuss the Hindu scriptures with a fellow passenger in order to pass the time and show off his knowledge.

So he turned to one of them and began, �I presume you have read the Upanishad?

The passenger humbly replied, �No Sir, I have not!�

�You didn�t!� said the Pandit in surprise. �A quarter of your life has been wasted!�

�But then you must have read Shashtras!� the Pandit continued.

�No, Sir, I can�t say that I have!� the passenger replied, feeling quite distressed.

�Well then half of your life is wasted!� said the Pandit arrogantly.

�What about the six systems of Hindu philosophy?� asked the Pandit in a final effort to begin an intellectual discourse.

�I am afraid I haven�t even heard of them, Sir!� the passenger replied.

�Not heard of them? Then, my friend, three-fourths of your life is wasted.�
Just as the Pandit said this, he found the boat suddenly began to pitch in increasing violent waves.

�There is a storm and I cannot control the boat!� the boatman shouted. It is going to capsize! Jump overboard and swim to the shore!�

The Pandit looked terrified. �Don�t you know how to swim?� the fellow passenger asked.

�No, I never learnt swimming!� the Pandit moaned.

�You never learnt swimming! Then your whole life is gone, Panditji� the passenger replied smugly as he jumped out of the sinking boat.

So, knowledge derived from books is not enough.
One must acquire practical learning too.

Dear Mr.Prasad, yes i am also disappointed on reading this. Your english proficiency made me think your tamil would also be beautiful. As mentioned by Mr.LS, you are missing out a lot by not reading tamil scripts. Just for the sake of enjoying the language flow of master author Kalki, you should read tamil. TB forum would benefit a lot more when you mix your thoughts and writings in both these langauages. Cheers. London Swami Sir, Salute you for the last para of your reply. Felt very proud to be associated with you thru this forum that inspite of living in a distant land for so many years you still uphold our tradition. Great!! Cheers.

Thank you, but there are too many things that I do not know. It would be easy to quote what I know is it can fill the palm of my hand, what I do not know is as large as the oceans.
Like Avvaiyar said:
"Katrathu Kai Mann Alavu, Kallathathu Ulagalavu" has been translated as "What you have learned is a mere handful; What you haven't learned is the size of the world" and exhibited at NASA.

You are confusing mother tongue with other languages. If one already knows a language, especially the mother tongue, it is worth learning the script. Do you use the native script of the language (I know you know devanagiri) or roman script for other languages?

I can read Tamil Script too.Reading speed has improved lots after joining TB forum.

Malay is written in roman and Jawi(derivative of Arabic script..but a bit different).
I can read both.Romanized I read very fast cos we study in Romanized Malay in schools.
Here we do not study in English medium.
English is just a subject in school.
I read Jawi at a very slow speed.

To be frank I grew up speaking only English at home and Malay at school.
I learnt how to read Tamil from my father but I could not speak Tamil well till I was in late teens even though I understood Tamil well.

I picked up speaking Tamil in India(even though I was in Karnataka)
I learnt Tamil well from 2 people..One Hebbar Iyengar friend who spoke a different sort of Tamil sounds like a mixture of Kannada and Brahmin Tamil and I also learnt to speak Tamil well from a Cobbler Lady who worked in our hostel.

The Cobbler lady spoke very polite and nice Tamil and she was also very motherly to us.

Last edited:
Dear Sarang,

Example of Jawi and Romanized Malay.
But in Malaysia officially only Roman script is used.
Jawi is used for religious purposes and for academic interest.
I read Jawi at a very slow speed.

taken from Wikipedia

Jawi scriptRumi scriptEnglish translation
كيلان اينتن بركليڤ-كليڤ د لاڠيت تيڠڬي،
دان چهاي مناري-ناري د لاڠيت بيرو،
تيدكله داڤت مننڠكن ڤراسانكو،
يڠ ريندوكن كحاضيرن كاسيه.

ڬيميرسيك ايرام مردو بولوه ڤريندو،
دان ڽاڽين ڤاري-ڤاري دري كايڠن،
تيدكله داڤت تنترامكن صنوباري،
يڠ مندمباكن كڤستين كاسيهمو.

Kilauan intan berkelip-kelip di langit tinggi,
Dan cahaya menari-nari di langit biru,
Tidaklah dapat menenangkan perasaanku,
Yang rindukan kehadiran kasih.

Gemersik irama merdu buluh perindu,
Dan nyanyian pari-pari dari kayangan,
Tidaklah dapat tenteramkan sanubari,
Yang mendambakan kepastian kasihmu.

The glimmer of gems waltzing beyond the celestial sphere,
And aurora ablaze a ballet upon the azure sky,
None are able to soothe my heart,
That desirous for an affection.

The melodious rhythm of the yearning bamboos,
And the ballads of nymphs from the eden,
None are able to calm the soul,
That craving for your word of honour.

Dear Renuka Maam,

The Jawi Script looks like Urdu or like arabic do you read that also from the left to right?.

I think i have landed in a great forum, full of people with great talents and knowledge, and from different fields. All the arguments and counter arguments are of highest order. People who are thorough about what they are writing, and in the last few weeks itself i have learnt so many new things in this forum. Am thoroughly enjoying reading thru all the inputs.

Salutations to all the veterans of this great forum.

Cheers:)

Hi Renuka

I am still interested in my original topic: can birds predict future? What are the words for birds in Malay and Arabic? What are the words for Astrology or prediction in both these languages?

The reason I am asking is even Muslim and Jewish countries have issued stamps on Zodiac signs. My bother Santanam Nagarajan has written an article about the zodiac sign stamps of Israel, Maldives,Canada ,Australia and India.

How come Muslims and Jews issue stamps on astrology?

My brother S.Nagarajan has written another article on the Vastu signs on Singapore currencies.. All these articles are in my blogs

I have a simple explanation. Birds do their own things, behave in their own way, guided by inherited traits and intuition. Some higher level souls have seen connections between the bird behaviour and human actions, have drawn parallels and codified them to the extent of their intellectual and spiritual capacity. In the same way, motion of planets, positional relationship of planets are measurable and verifiable; some great souls were able to relate the planetary events to what happens to humans, even though the planets do not directly control. Linking of observations and actions in one domain, to events and actions in another domain is common and acceptable (we routinely do this in mundane activities).

To delve into the minds of the original authors, one should read the original work - pakshi sastra, brihat jataka or samhita instead of translations on translations and watered down versions.

A chess master can run through thousands of possible moves and decide the next move as the best among probables, a good doctor can mentally run through the told and observed symptoms to make the best diagnosis, a good astrologer can select the best possible prediction from the texts he has internalised.

my answer to the question is: birds per se don't predict; they do what they want to do; we have the the capacity to link dissimilar events in two domains - bird and human.

If I am correct, people used to say about Pancha Pakshi Shastram, which appeared
recently in one of the Tamil Magazines. It appears that it is a unique system based
on Vedic Astrology and the Tamil Siddha Saints are the makers for its foundation
thousands of years ago. Further, it is learnt that it gives a detailed interpretation of
the character and traits of a person. An article appeared in one of the leading
Tamil Magazines.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Dear all
Thanks for informative answers.

When I said birds predict, they dont do predict it in the same way as our astrologers. They "behave" in a certain way and we interpret it depending upon our experience. A INTERESTING NEWS ITEM ABOUT DOGS DETECTING CANCER HAS APPEARED AGAIN IN LONDON NEWS PAPERS YESTERDAY.

Some time ago a dog detected the cancer in his master. That is, it sniffed again again at a particular body part of his master. When he went for full examination he was diagnosed of having cancer. Yesterday the same thing happened with a lady with breast cancer. She was sniffed by the dog and it was found out she is having breast cancer.

In my earlier answers I said that dogs have smelling power 3000 times more than human beings. That is the reason for army and police using dogs for several detective works.

My guess is, it is all simple body chemistry. When certain types of proteins or hormones secreted in the blood, dogs can sense or smell it. That is why our ancients said that dogs can "see" Yama.

We can even reinterpret Mahabaharata story where the dog accompanied Dharma to swarga/heaven. They might have taken it with a purpose of finding their time of death or for simple reason of getting some help such as sensing the wild animals before it attacked them

Mr London Swaminathan

I hope you all may know about the Pancha-Pakshi Shastra, which is based on
ancient Tamil literature. A person can find out all details. Thank you for for
your valuable input.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Hi Renuka

I am still interested in my original topic: can birds predict future? What are the words for birds in Malay and Arabic? What are the words for Astrology or prediction in both these languages?

The reason I am asking is even Muslim and Jewish countries have issued stamps on Zodiac signs. My bother Santanam Nagarajan has written an article about the zodiac sign stamps of Israel, Maldives,Canada ,Australia and India.

How come Muslims and Jews issue stamps on astrology?

My brother S.Nagarajan has written another article on the Vastu signs on Singapore currencies.. All these articles are in my blogs

Dear sir,

Really sorry for late reply cos only today I saw your question.

In Malay the word for bird is Burung.

Astrology is called Nujum in Malay.

As far as I know Sunni Muslims do not believe in Astrology but Shia and Sufis look upon Astrology as a science and I have heard that some do practice it...but I have no idea to which extent.

Last edited:
Dear Renuka

The strangest fact is that Maldives, a Muslim country, Israel a Jewish country, Canada and Australia, christian countries and last but not the least India, a "secular" country-- all have released stamps on 12 Zodiac Signs. If they don't believe in astrology, they would not have encouraged this "superstition"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back