• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

business opportunities - cooperatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Indian meal starter lasts 50 years

here is a success story of poor people.

i do not know about the loyalty of lijjat papads in tamil nadu. but here in toronto, it is available in all desi shops. this has a following here which might be the envy of marketeers.

lijjat, for a long time, is the only papad. they have a niche in making certain papads, consistently good quality, and thick enough, that in this health conscious age, great for chutta appalam, easy to make either over the gas top or microwave.

easily microwaveable karavadams and vadaams - is that not a great idea for our poor folks.

we always hear in this forum, of the need to help the poor in our community, but i seldom see any solid ideas or moves.

there is talk of joining forces with kerala iyers trust. i suggest that we leave them alone, for they are very well run, and it is all due to the efforts of one couple.

let us imitate them. i see that there are retired folks around chennai with business experience.

making vadaams and pickles, but with a niche about certain quality which nobody can imitate will go a long way to find self sufficient employment for our poor.

after all grammeen bank, which is considered nobel prizeworthy, is all about helping poor people, on a small scale, is it not?

also, i think, we need ideas about how folks llike me, who are far away, but thanks to technology, are now available online through skype and suchlike.

can certain tutoring be arranged for us? i know of some relatives of mine, who took carnatic music lessons, online via skype, from a teacher in chennai.

there are possibilities.

i think, we are a good group with several good hearted people.

the swayamvaram, while applaudable, can only be the first step, towards on small scales, doing selected help for the needed.

the need for a spouse, i admit, is as much a need, as helping the poor.

best wishes to swayamvaram, and hoping for some good practical immediately executable ideas from the public.

thank you.

ps. through contacts, i get my கரவடாம் வடாம் தாமரைகிழங்கு from kalpathi. but these links are increasingly becoming tenuous.

i am quite sure, there are enough out of town folks who would need to replenish their stock of fry stuff regularly and hence make a good market devloped by word of mouth through forums such as these. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Sri Kunjuppu ji,

Good Idea. One problem iin exporting food products to developed market is, it has to go through a tough initial testing process. I thought about it earlier but since it involves food products, I wanted to approach it much more cautiously.

Yesterday morning ******* (Tamil Brahmins Association) President spoke to me and was very much enthusiastic about the swayamvaram function. We have decided to meet after the event to discuss issues relating to betterment of our community.

Incidently he is already on the job of revamping Kanchi mutt affairs and has asked me to suggest concrete measures for improvement.

Still I am in service and would like to get out of full time affair shortly. I shall devout my full time for our community development to the best possible extent.

Let us hope for the best

Last edited:
dear shri Kunjuppu,

Nice idea about export of condiments like papad,vadams,karuvadams etc.
I am happy you are sourcing these items from Kalpatti.From chennai,I hear that our "Idlis" are sent to Singapore,Malasia etc DAILY.

I have found that in Chennai we do not get authentic Kerala Brahmin vegetarian cusine with the typical taste of our households.In fact I had a couple of years back started a small catering establishment in the name of KERALA TAMBRAM CATERING
and started offering Kerala brahmin SADDI SAPPADU CONSISTING OF KALAN,OLAN,AVIAL,KOOTU,THORAN,PACHADI,KICHEDI,SAMBAR,RASAM,PALPAYASAM,ADA PRADAMAN AND OTHER ITEMS which used to be served in our Kerala village temple sastha pridhi functions.Because I made it in my own house,I could maintain the taste and quality.Unfortunately I had to discontinue after I had my angioplasty.Even now I offer all our vegetarian dishes once in a while to some of my close friends.The usual menu runs like this:

Menu

:party:

Menu

Offering fantastic mouth watering pure Kerala Brahmin vegetarian cusine home made in
Hygienic conditions,in pure cooking oil.
Kaalan rs.150 ltr
Olan rs.125 kg
Kootu kari rs.125 kg
Avial rs.125 kg
Sambar rs.125 ltr.
Errisseri rs.125 ltr
Other veg.dishes rs.150 kg (on request)
Palpayasam rs.225 per litr.
Ada pradhaman(milk) rs.225 per ltr.
Ada pradhman (cocoanut milk)rs.250 per litr
NEI(ghee)vella payasam Rs.250 per kg.
Chakkavaratty(jackfruit jam/during season Rs.450 kg
Minimum order Rs.500
Contact
Eb subrahmaniam.abhiramapuram,Chennai
Phone 044/42108777
Mobile 9790750436
Email [email protected]
[email protected]

I HAD DURING THE PALAPAZHA(CHAKKA) SEASON OFFERED JACK FRUIT JAM(CHAKKA VARATTY)MADE IN OUR HOUSE.sINCE IT REQUIRES LOT OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY(mainly elakkalfying the hot dough for quite sometime
with your left/right hand)this too I have to discontinue.May be next season, I can start this with some external help.

thanks. elapuli balki subramaniam

PS In fact I am ready to start this venture in full swing again if any of our friends in this forum is willing to join hands by offering a small place,cook etc., We can start cagtering in small waw.Of course we can come to a mutual business understanding before starting the venture. Any body interested?

Last edited:
Thanks Sri Kunjuppu ji,

Good Idea. One problem iin exporting food products to developed market is, it has to go through a tough initial testing process. I thought about it earlier but since it involves food products, I wanted to approach it much more cautiously.

Yesterday morning ******* (Tamil Brahmins Association) President spoke to me and was very much enthusiastic about the swayamvaram function. We have decided to meet after the event to discuss issues relating to betterment of our community.

Incidently he is already on the job of revamping Kanchi mutt affairs and has asked me to suggest concrete measures for improvement.

Still I am in service and would like to get out of full time affair shortly. I shall devout my full time for our community development to the best possible extent.

Let us hope for the best

I am PG Food Technologist,
I am also in favor of developing -products and market for it
siva
[email protected]
--

Last edited:
venkat,

i am not talking about export.

i am talking about possibility of cooperative ventures on a small scale self help basis.

the fact that lijjat is a name brand abroad, is incidental.

i have heard so many times about the poor in our community. i do not have a clue as to percentage, though from previous efforts, i am inclined to think that these are not many and live in isolated pockets.

this wide dispersement may be an issue in trying to ensure help is attainable for them. it is easier if these are concentrated and urban.

any cooperative venture is good as it empowers these folks and gives them dignity, in addition to providing steady livelihood.

thanks.

balki,

i think there is a market out there for good quality stuff.

way back, i used to have a neighbour mami who made applams under the label, swati applam. her applams, tasted a little different (i think she add a dash of extra appala-karam), but unique and there was always a cult following.

any business, should distinguish its products from others, by certain unique characterestics and tastes.

best of luck in your venture.

venkat,

i am not talking about export.

i am talking about possibility of cooperative ventures on a small scale self help basis.

the fact that lijjat is a name brand abroad, is incidental.

i have heard so many times about the poor in our community. i do not have a clue as to percentage, though from previous efforts, i am inclined to think that these are not many and live in isolated pockets.

this wide dispersement may be an issue in trying to ensure help is attainable for them. it is easier if these are concentrated and urban.

any cooperative venture is good as it empowers these folks and gives them dignity, in addition to providing steady livelihood.

thanks.

Definitely I shall keep your views in mind. We will do some thing. Even in cities, there are concentrated poor people of our community in certain pockets which we can consider initially.

I shall keep you informed about the developments.

All the best

I am also in favor of developing products and market for it
siva
[email protected]

Thanks Sri Sivakumar. I shall get in touch with you after the proposed swayamvaram function on Sunday 22nd Nov, 2009. If you send your mobile number through personal message, I shall contact you so that we can discuss further.

All the best

I am also in favor of developing products and market for it
siva
[email protected]

Thanks Sri Sivakumar. I shall get in touch with you after the proposed swayamvaram function on Sunday 22nd Nov, 2009. If you send your mobile number through personal message, I shall contact you so that we can discuss further.

All the best

I am at Hyderabad,
[i too could have attended swayamvaram -also looking for a girl,but i am on change over of job now]
my mobile#099666 52664
if possible -e mail me details--Food Ind aspects

Thanks for your time

Siva

I am at Hyderabad,
[i too could have attended swayamvaram -also looking for a girl,but i am on change over of job now]
my mobile#099666 52664
if possible -e mail me details--Food Ind aspects

Thanks for your time

Siva

Thanks Sri Shiva,

Change of jobs may take place. But getting a girl is also very important. :). Please don't miss the golden opportunity. (I am just joking and not a sales talk)

We shall get in touch with each other after the event.

All the best.

Thanks Sri Shiva,

Change of jobs may take place. But getting a girl is also very important. :). Please don't miss the golden opportunity. (I am just joking and not a sales talk)

We shall get in touch with each other after the event.

All the best.

Thanks Sir,but we tambrah r very particular about it[job],nothing proceed without cash in hand,I am ready if someone negotiate

thanks you

dear shri Kunjuppu,

Nice idea about export of condiments like papad,vadams,karuvadams etc.
I am happy you are sourcing these items from Kalpatti.From chennai,I hear that our "Idlis" are sent to Singapore,Malasia etc DAILY.

I have found that in Chennai we do not get authentic Kerala Brahmin vegetarian cusine with the typical taste of our households.In fact I had a couple of years back started a small catering establishment in the name of KERALA TAMBRAM CATERING
and started offering Kerala brahmin SADDI SAPPADU CONSISTING OF KALAN,OLAN,AVIAL,KOOTU,THORAN,PACHADI,KICHEDI,SAMBAR,RASAM,PALPAYASAM,ADA PRADAMAN AND OTHER ITEMS which used to be served in our Kerala village temple sastha pridhi functions.Because I made it in my own house,I could maintain the taste and quality.Unfortunately I had to discontinue after I had my angioplasty.Even now I offer all our vegetarian dishes once in a while to some of my close friends.The usual menu runs like this:

Menu

:party:

Menu

Offering fantastic mouth watering pure Kerala Brahmin vegetarian cusine home made in
Hygienic conditions,in pure cooking oil.
Kaalan rs.150 ltr
Olan rs.125 kg
Kootu kari rs.125 kg
Avial rs.125 kg
Sambar rs.125 ltr.
Errisseri rs.125 ltr
Other veg.dishes rs.150 kg (on request)
Palpayasam rs.225 per litr.
Ada pradhaman(milk) rs.225 per ltr.
Ada pradhman (cocoanut milk)rs.250 per litr
NEI(ghee)vella payasam Rs.250 per kg.
Chakkavaratty(jackfruit jam/during season Rs.450 kg
Minimum order Rs.500
Contact
Eb subrahmaniam.abhiramapuram,Chennai
Phone 044/42108777
Mobile 9790750436
Email [email protected]
[email protected]

I HAD DURING THE PALAPAZHA(CHAKKA) SEASON OFFERED JACK FRUIT JAM(CHAKKA VARATTY)MADE IN OUR HOUSE.sINCE IT REQUIRES LOT OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY(mainly elakkalfying the hot dough for quite sometime
with your left/right hand)this too I have to discontinue.May be next season, I can start this with some external help.

thanks. elapuli balki subramaniam

PS In fact I am ready to start this venture in full swing again if any of our friends in this forum is willing to join hands by offering a small place,cook etc., We can start cagtering in small waw.Of course we can come to a mutual business understanding before starting the venture. Any body interested?

hi balki
r u from elapully ,palakkad..i studied in chittur thekkegramam
palakkad too....nice shashta preethi menu...like chittur/
nalleppally /tattamangalam shastha preethi imagination..

regards
tbs

Thanks Sri Kunjuppu ji,

Let us hope for the best

i might come to
Chennai by 30 Nov for consulting-for one week or so---v can meet if possible for u
mail me to [email protected]

regards

Siva

hi balki
r u from elapully ,palakkad..i studied in chittur thekkegramam
palakkad too....nice shashta preethi menu...like chittur/
nalleppally /tattamangalam shastha preethi imagination..

regards
tbs

IT IS A SMALL WORLD INDEED!!i STUDIED IN A.P.BOARD HIGH SCHOOL,ELAPULLI.THE SCHOOL WAS SITUATED ON THE MAIN ROAD TO PALGHAT.I PASSED MY SSLC IN THE YEAR 1954.IT IS WONDERFUL TO KNOW THAT YOU ARE ALSO FROM THAT TERRITORY.GOOD LUCK.

elapuli balki

i was not thinking of individuals starting export business.

my urging, was folks here, who have the expertise, to help set up cooperative ventures for poor brahmins.

it could be a catering co-op, pickles and condments making co-op.

i know that we have a disdain for physical work. but i suspect that there is a huge demand for maid service ie coming once a week, clean the house etc especially among the professional couples and also in business buildings.

all these jobs (i am quite sure there are more) which require very little education or skillset, can be a part time source of money for the poor among us.

which comes to another point - are there poor among us who are motivated to succeed and cannot do so, only due to their poverty and their caste?

thank you.

The stories of 'Lijjad pappad' Mahila groups, Amul movement in Gujarat and 'Dabbawalas in Mumbai' are famous case studies for MBA students. They were practising logistics, strategic management, networking, team-building, thrift, effective and successful communication and sharing their success and failures equally, without being aware of latest concepts like 'Six Sigma' etc.

Since most of them were/are illiterates, their stories are very interesting and worth emulating even by the educated youth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back