• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Budget & Senior citizens

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Budget 2011 is out and it brings to life vying ‘economists’ who are generally bereft of common sense. In the sixties and later, before the budget day there used to be definite “leaks” that cigarettes will be taxed more and nobody was punished for the ‘leaks’! Now it is the season for senior citizens to get sops from govt though their life has become tougher, sulkier, lonlier while the old values just keep mocking at them at social level.
Of late every budget is pregnant with sops to the oldies. While preference in queues and the like are welcome, I, for one, do not understand the financial concessions to them. I am a septuagenarian but I am not speaking for these ‘bracketed’ generation. I do so from the social point of view. I have not been a money spinner in life, no insurance cover, nor any operating bank account. Never the less, or perhaps for the same reason, I don’t understand the financial concessions to them. They at best will show some gains in the books. In a few cases, these concessions will benefit those who have found their parents as useful through books of accounts definitely denying them another chance to be in heaven! Instead of these sops, the government should think of providing district-wise free quarters with geriatic hospital facilities.
In society at large oldies are scoffed at, in business places hated, and in the small precincts of homes a cause of vex. Besides, the oldies are target of house breakers, robbers, heir apparents, pretending heirs. These sops will only worsen the situation. In stead, it will be a great idea to give them physical comforts wherever and every where possible. :frog:

iyar,

you have brought up an interesting point. ie the concept of 'respect' for the senior citizens (as these are so gently referred to in canada). i am 60.

even here in this forum, every once in a while elders are appealed to for guidance and leadership. so, i think in our society there is still a residual traces of 'respect', though i would tend to heartifly agree with your summary, 'In society at large oldies are scoffed at, in business places hated, and in the small precincts of homes a cause of vex. Besides, the oldies are target of house breakers, robbers, heir apparents, pretending heirs.'

what i find refreshing about the internet is that unless one identifies oneself (and even here one can lie ie i could be 30 and not 60) we assume equality, fraternity and familiarity of a nature, that we cannot indulge in any other medium. in that context, old fogies and tending-to-be old fogies can take comfort that their words of 'wisdom' will not be mistaken for another blabber by yet another old fool. for my real fear, as i grow older, is that i make a fool of myself more often that what i normally do these days..after all there is no fool like an old fool!! right ?

jai senior citizens :)

ps. who needs respect? we would any day go for geriartric wards (free of cost ofcourse) :) & the pretty nurses that come along with those wards :)

Last edited:
jai senior citizens :)

ps. who needs respect? we would any day go for geriartric wards (free of cost ofcourse) :) & the pretty nurses that come along with those wards :)

What if a study finds —some time later on—that these pretty nurses increase the chances of the old fogeys lingering longer here and replace them with gruff male nurses;)

What if a study finds —some time later on—that these pretty nurses increase the chances of the old fogeys lingering longer here and replace them with gruff male nurses;)

sorry sangom,

i think it would be other way around. the presence of these pretty lasses, will undoubtedly get the heartbeat soaring for the old fogeys, overburden it and would give out sooner than otherwise. :)

for those, who still survive through this, their wives would ensure quick passage through means used from lucretia borgia from times immemorial :)

If you cross the border illegally

Budget 2011 is out and it brings to life vying ‘economists’ who are generally bereft of common sense. In the sixties and later, before the budget day there used to be definite “leaks” that cigarettes will be taxed more and nobody was punished for the ‘leaks’! Now it is the season for senior citizens to get sops from govt though their life has become tougher, sulkier, lonlier while the old values just keep mocking at them at social level.
Of late every budget is pregnant with sops to the oldies. While preference in queues and the like are welcome, I, for one, do not understand the financial concessions to them. I am a septuagenarian but I am not speaking for these ‘bracketed’ generation. I do so from the social point of view. I have not been a money spinner in life, no insurance cover, nor any operating bank account. Never the less, or perhaps for the same reason, I don’t understand the financial concessions to them. They at best will show some gains in the books. In a few cases, these concessions will benefit those who have found their parents as useful through books of accounts definitely denying them another chance to be in heaven! Instead of these sops, the government should think of providing district-wise free quarters with geriatic hospital facilities.
In society at large oldies are scoffed at, in business places hated, and in the small precincts of homes a cause of vex. Besides, the oldies are target of house breakers, robbers, heir apparents, pretending heirs. These sops will only worsen the situation. In stead, it will be a great idea to give them physical comforts wherever and every where possible. :frog:

Dear Sri Iyarooraan,

Amen. As an Octogenarian myself, I welcome the announcements in Budget for the Very Senior Citizens. But the question is where is the money for getting the relief.
Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.:wave:

Sr Citizen

Dear Sri Iyarooraan,

Amen. As an Octogenarian myself, I welcome the announcements in Budget for the Very Senior Citizens. But the question is where is the money for getting the relief.
Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.:wave:
Then whom the concessions are meant for? I wanted the concessions to be extended to comfort them physically which would be much more higher xx than the concessions.

Either of the ideas - Shri Sangomji's or Shri Kunjappu's - will warrant more outlay to be filled up by govt subsidies. The govt will leave every body in the lurch. Poor nurses, not a good prospect for you.

Yes Kunjappu sir, it takes years, or life itself, to understand that one has been perfect fool all through leaving no space of time to correct oneself. But it is better and bliss to be a fool than otherwise. I am basking in that glory.

Supposing, we look at this "pretty lasses in the proximity of the 'oldies' in geriatric homes" scenario from another angle. It is generally believed that 'health' and 'happiness' go hand in hand and strengthen each other. So, our dear dear oldies, in the constant company of those 'pretty lasses' will perhaps become more happy, which, in turn, will make them more healthy, which, in turn, will make them feel more youthful, which, in turn, will make them more happy and a glorious and an endless loop of "happiness - health - youthfulness - happiness" gets into action! What a fine picture! There is only just one serious doubt: Will this 'pretty lasses' induced happiness have the same potency in the 'he-oldies' and 'the she-oldies' alike?

Last edited:
Supposing, we look at this "pretty lasses in the proximity of the 'oldies' in geriatric homes" scenario from another angle. It is generally believed that 'health' and 'happiness' go hand in hand and strengthen each other. So, our dear dear oldies, in the constant company of those 'pretty lasses' will perhaps become more happy, which, in turn, will make them more healthy, which, in turn, will make them feel more youthful, which, in turn, will make them more happy and a glorious and an endless loop of "happiness - health - youthfulness - happiness" gets into action! What a fine picture! There is only just one serious doubt: Will this 'pretty lasses' induced happiness have the same potency in the 'he-oldies' and 'the she-oldies' alike?

congrats CLN.

folks, the fountain of eternal youth has been discovered.

Ponce De Leon, eat your heart out and turn in your grave :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back