• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brhamin converting to Christianity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone has sent the following article by one Anand Mahadeven, who is the editor of OUTLOOK INDIA. No wonder, all the newspapers, news journals (including the HINDU) are in the hands of these evangelicals. I would love to write to this guy, Mahadeven, if I only knew his email id. BTW, I did not buy his story on why he didn't change his Hindu name!!
What do the members think? Is it worth our time to engage this guy, who seems to be the poster boy for the glory of Christianity? I have given only the first para; please go to this link to read the whole story. I don't know why; I am very irritated, agitated and angry at this guy telling me who or how a God should be. I used to get OUTLOOK whenever I was in India; now I will skip it since it has a slanted vision of Indian news anyway.
http://www.speroforum.com/site/arti...mercury&t=A+Christian+convert+addresses+India

-------------------------------------
A Christian convert addresses India

The editor of Outlook India, a business magazine, addresses his embrace of Christianity. Reflecting on his conversion, he says that he would never force his faith on anyone.

Monday, October 20, 2008
By Anand Mahadevan

I was born a Brahmin and am the grandson of a priest whom I dearly loved. I am educated and my current professional standing indicates that I am reasonably intelligent. I am also affluent and my income would put me distinctly in the upper middle class bracket. I guess that would make me high-caste, rich and smart. In other words, I am not a tribal, or poor or dim-witted. And yet, I chose to become a follower of Jesus Christ.

The world would call me a convert to Christianity. I have no problems with that, though I see my faith more as a relationship with God through Jesus Christ than as a religion. And for the record, I can truthfully claim that no one financially induced or threatened or deceived me into converting to Christianity. (for the entire article, go to the link above)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Silverfox,
Some of my friends(also one brahmin) friends convert to christianity but they still have hindu name.

Brahmin youth converting to christianity

I read with interest the article written BY Anand of Outbook.He is more to be pitied than censured.Such misguided youths were always there.In Early 20th Century,there was this gentleman, Mr.F.G.Nateasiyer ,the grandfather of famous singer,Vani Jayaram who got converted to Christianity and again got him reconverted to Hinduism and he had recorded the sort of devious and enticing ways of Christians and in fact he requested the Late Sankaracharya of Kanchi,Sri Chandrasekharendrasarasvathi Swamiji to advise a youth who wanted to get converted to Christianity.People like Anand have been brain washed into believing that only Christianity offers hope.Then what of people who were born before Christ ?Were their souls not redeemed?While I respect other religions,I would not want anyone to question my religion without knowing what it is

I read with interest the article written BY Anand of Outbook.He is more to be pitied than censured.Such misguided youths were always there.In Early 20th Century,there was this gentleman, Mr.F.G.Nateasiyer ,the grandfather of famous singer,Vani Jayaram who got converted to Christianity and again got him reconverted to Hinduism and he had recorded the sort of devious and enticing ways of Christians and in fact he requested the Late Sankaracharya of Kanchi,Sri Chandrasekharendrasarasvathi Swamiji to advise a youth who wanted to get converted to Christianity.People like Anand have been brain washed into believing that only Christianity offers hope.Then what of people who were born before Christ ?Were their souls not redeemed?While I respect other religions,I would not want anyone to question my religion without knowing what it is
hi suvarchas,
excellent view and well written article....im in USA...i can understand your feelings....many christian boys/girls learning hinduism...i help them...
only we are having problem....they try to understand hinduism/follow them..but we criticize our own religion...thank you once agan...

regards
tbs

tbs

Criticism is part and parcel of life.One always emerges better after a grueling process of criticism,isn't it?

sb

sb-ji,

cudn't agree with you more...

criticism is like a fire ordeal...

mistakes are meant to be made, so we learn from it at some stage or the other even if its a repititive mistake...

To err is human. May we be forgiven for our blunders, for men are full of desires (rig.1.179.5).

1. Criticism is alright and even some comparison is acceptable.

2. But, never allow ranking or gradation to be made, amongst different paths or
religions.

3. Sometimes, worst forms of criticism results in denigrating and denouncing. That
shall not happen.

4. One person or a group of persons cannot judge or evaluate a great religion that is
ancient yet growing, disciplined yet accommodative, multi-faceted yet foucussed
on single thing and so on.

5. Highlighting the 'perceived ills' of one religion, indulging in false propaganda and
creating well-organised networks for mass conversion (for which pro-rata
rewards/incentives are there) shall never be encouraged.

6. Attacking at the weak-points or exploiting weak moments in one's life for religious
conversion is to be made a cognisable offence, inasmuch as it disturbs the social
harmony and promotes 'that' religion with larger resources to flourish and prosper.

7. A sporadic case like that of Anand Mahadevan need not be given so much of
importance. However, keep a constant vigil.

Last edited:
Shri pannvalan

The beauty is all Abrahamic faith stemmed out of Sanathana Dharma keeping Lord Brahmaa or Brahman as the main person to start with anyways.Its basically the rulers of India ie defacto kings ie politicians who make deals with foreign agencies for material growth in India.Look at other countries,they dont tolerate,proselytisation beyond a certain level.

sb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back