• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahmins Help Brahmins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Namaskaram to one and all:

I am starting this thread to help fellow brahmins to get jobs. A muslim helps a muslim, a malayalee helps a malayalee and I have NEVER SEEN A BRAHMIN HELP A FELLOW BRAHMIN

Kindly post relevant jobs opportunities with your reference and help our kulam
A commendable idea, Shri Kameshratnam. But first you have to indicate what type/s of jobs you have in mind. Or is it that you envisage this thread as a jobs available page?

Sir,
I presume Mr Ratnam has meant community help initially as a matter of feeling amongst the TBs - not just as jobs available page but on a global - rather macro level.
Let me put it this way - that this calls for firstly a change in attitude. We generally talk in English when we see another brahmin. Let us first speak in Tamil and if we know another person is a TB, let us greet with the word "Namaskaram" in our own way. Even if we may not help, we first should learn to exhibit the camraderie. If that starts as a way of life, everything will follow.
We must not quickly assume that another TB has approached us with request for some intended benefit. I think in the present time, no TB (except a miniscule minority in percentage terms) seeks help for jobs etc. This is what I see from the capital city but situation in Chennai / Coimbatore may be different which I do not know. In a way we should thank the Kalaignar and DK for this for making us a truly global community. There is tremendous scope.

Sir,
I presume Mr Ratnam has meant community help initially as a matter of feeling amongst the TBs - not just as jobs available page but on a global - rather macro level.
Let me put it this way - that this calls for firstly a change in attitude. We generally talk in English when we see another brahmin. Let us first speak in Tamil and if we know another person is a TB, let us greet with the word "Namaskaram" in our own way. Even if we may not help, we first should learn to exhibit the camraderie. If that starts as a way of life, everything will follow.
We must not quickly assume that another TB has approached us with request for some intended benefit. I think in the present time, no TB (except a miniscule minority in percentage terms) seeks help for jobs etc. This is what I see from the capital city but situation in Chennai / Coimbatore may be different which I do not know. In a way we should thank the Kalaignar and DK for this for making us a truly global community. There is tremendous scope.
Dear Ramamurthy,

Kameshratnam said, "Kindly post relevant jobs opportunities with your reference and help our kulam". (emphasis mine) That is why I wanted to know how he envisaged it to be.

Delhi or Mumbai or Bengaluru, talking in pure Tamil is now beyond the ability of the average TB. Then comes the regional slang, and as some one said in another thread, the Thanjavur people could not understand a word of what the TB daughter-in-law from Parur, Kerala spoke. In such circumstances, I don't think by simply saying an introductory "namaskaaram" anything significant will be achieved, nor will a jobless TB feel happier than if he was greeted with a 'hallo' or 'namaste' or 'how are you?' or 'sowkhyamaa?'. The point is real empathy should be there and be palpably felt by both parties. This is something I have found only in people of my grandfather's/grandmother's generation. People changed a lot thereafter and in today's dog eat dog world, if some one has been lucky enough to prosper, he would only like to flaunt it; the poor person today also will do the same even if someone helps him today and turns poor in future. I have seen several instances of this type and very few of the opposite type.

No. I am talking about all kinds of jobs that can be passed on to our people.

These days nothing works as internal reference. Your relative or friends would be working as HR or in any senior positions in various companies. Lets post job leads from them and ask the relevant people to apply.

I still find a lot of TB's struggling in smaller companies and they been squeezed in their work. I want to give them a good platform for work

Sir, You said
The point is real empathy should be there and be palpably felt by both parties. This is something I have found only in people of my grandfather's/grandmother's generation. People changed a lot thereafter and in today's dog eat dog world,
In current context, I think it would mean a lot if we first empathise with other TBs. The remaining things will follow. I do not think that TBs continue to capture the world at 120 words per minute etc. Many of the TBs of the next generations have become businessmen and jobs should not be meant to mean only the "jolis" as commonly understood. There are plenty of business opportunities around and many are in other vocations as self employed. In this context, I say even before we co-operate for various jobs and business opportunities, let us as a feeling of camraderie, start empathising with other TBs and let us try it as a matter of practice and later as a matter of affirmative action. Let us create the feeling of real empathy which would be felt. Let the words lead to actions.

kamesh,

i see postings more often in kerala pattars' website or iyer123. they have a large section of the membership from mid east, and many of the members are generous enough to post for jobs in dubai, muscate etc.

let me throw in a word of caution here and i do not mean to be negative or denigrative. for any job, in the utlitmate, only a person suitable for the job should be hired. to hire a person just on the basis of caste, is to create two losers, the one that gives the job and the one that accepts it. eventual tensions follow, and the residual ill feeling wipes out any inital good intentions.

TRR,

i do not think DK or MK caused us to leave tamil nadu. the migration of TBs from tamil nadu/kerala started in the early 20th century. it was to escape from poverty, lack of opportunity, a love of adventure, excitement and maybe to get away from a rather restricitive community environment.

DK, MK might have refused us medical college seats, and thrown us off our pedestal of honour in the tamil community, but let us not give credit to them, for inward generated momentums, which has made us go global. if at all anything, all other tamil tribes, wish to follow our own example, inspite of getting allt he pampered treatments in tamil nadu. ok?

sangom,

not so sure that our community was more caring during our grandparents' generation. it was much more hierarchical, with authority vested with age. the olds can be and perhaps were, from my experience, tyrannical in their views, and imposed their will on grown up sons, who most often, did not open their mouth in front of their father.

i agree there was a safety net provided for the widowed sister but often that came with so much strings, that the choice of today, ie independence, job, bringing up a family by the mother alone and above all the dignity that goes along with it - to me there are no good ole days.

such a thought, is more a sense of misplaced romanticism, which we all indulge, once in a while, without thinking through the whole process. this is what i think.

gana,

please note my above comments about giving the right job for the right person. the knowledge of sthothrams may be good in itself, but if an accounting skill is expected, hopefully the candidate with the best skill will get the job. everything else being equal, i am all for supporting our own kind by way of preference.

Kunjuppu Sir,
Admitted that MK or DK did not cause us to leave TN. This expression is a collective statement of avarice. It is not MK personally. Of course, a feeling of adventure, an opportunity to seek newer and greener pastures and better opportunities all brought us out of our own native places. Also admit that restrictive community environment forced some of us.
Now what we do? We must do something - just not financially but also physically.
For what you have said that other things being equal, preference should be given to our ilk. However, youngsters need technical training and job grooming. There is a heated debate going on in other thread about Medical, Engineering etc. I say our boys (from interior towns and suburbs) need grooming for office training. They say they are commerce graduates but would not answer small questions on balance sheet, economics graduates not knowing relevance of monetary policy etc. Grooming youngsters in office / company work practices, job oriented training, skill set inculcating etc. should be built into a course curriculum and then the boys should be trained for say six months in a vocational centre which could be set up instead of medical or engineering colleges where people who are retired and experienced could be imparted various skill sets for office practice, general conduct etc. including accounts, software skills etc. Instead of simply helping for getting jobs, let us improve our boys and girls before they seek jobs. That may, over the course of 2/3 batches help both the giver and the taker by avoiding unnecessary controversies.
Hope what I convey gets noticed across the board. Thanks. Yourself and Sangom sir have answers in your own way but do please lead the way.

TRR,

re the 'raw' products, the youths are, after graduating from college: i think what they may need is mentoring.

there are folks here with enviable experiences who would only be too happy to guide a youngster.

this does not mean they will land the youth a job.

what mentoing means, is to talk with them, guide them how to apply for jobs, do mock interviews, how to dress well, behave confidentally, have a little spirit and spunk in their answers, not to be too subservient to the interviewer, keep their heads high with confidence born out of knowledge and assurance for a good career, etc etc.

there is no point making a broad brush statement about youth in general for this type of mentoring. each mentor/mentee partnership has to be based on the needs of the mentee, and the matching skillset of the mentor.

perhaps, for starters, if you know of youngsters wandering around aimlessly, introduce them here, and see what comes out by way of mentoring.

thanks.

sangom,

not so sure that our community was more caring during our grandparents' generation. it was much more hierarchical, with authority vested with age. the olds can be and perhaps were, from my experience, tyrannical in their views, and imposed their will on grown up sons, who most often, did not open their mouth in front of their father.
Dear Kunjuppu,

What I meant was in the context of greeting a TB we meet and establishing a sense of camaraderie with him (to which TRR referred). This I have seen with my elders although in other spheres of life they were conscious of their authority arising out of age etc. To cite one instance, my mother's Chithappa, a very rich lawyer and powerful among the rich planters of Kottayam side, on seeing my grandmother and myself (I was 7 or 8 years then) immediately did namaskaaram to my grandmother (our family had become very poor by then) and called me near him and asked which class I was studying and all that. Looking to the situation today, this sort of an attitude will not come to a rich and powerful TB towards a poor relative, I feel. This is just an extreme example, and I have many such memories and those of the contrary type too, but from later life. So, I don't think it is a case of misplaced romanticism.

Dear Kunjuppu,

What I meant was in the context of greeting a TB we meet and establishing a sense of camaraderie with him (to which TRR referred). This I have seen with my elders although in other spheres of life they were conscious of their authority arising out of age etc. To cite one instance, my mother's Chithappa, a very rich lawyer and powerful among the rich planters of Kottayam side, on seeing my grandmother and myself (I was 7 or 8 years then) immediately did namaskaaram to my grandmother (our family had become very poor by then) and called me near him and asked which class I was studying and all that. Looking to the situation today, this sort of an attitude will not come to a rich and powerful TB towards a poor relative, I feel. This is just an extreme example, and I have many such memories and those of the contrary type too, but from later life. So, I don't think it is a case of misplaced romanticism.

dear sangom

allow me to say a couple of words.

this sort of bonhomie even today exists.my extended families have gone out of the way to be nice and gracious,when the occassion demanded.true,there is something from kerala side of relatives.though every fmly has its own set of unique properties in maintaining cordiality.even adi-sankara is from kerala,a tribute to a wonderful state,though i have only toured this state only for biz purposes and some worshipping centers.

:love:

We are currently in need of sw development programmers with the following skill sets

Those are interested may kindly send in their resumes to [email protected]

Skills:

Experience: Any : We are currently are recruiting for 2009 passed out and below only. 2010 passed out candidates please excuse

Need to know ASP.NET, C # and in general DOT NET
SQL SERVER 2005 or higher

Both the skills are necessary

dear sangom

allow me to say a couple of words.

this sort of bonhomie even today exists.my extended families have gone out of the way to be nice and gracious,when the occassion demanded.true,there is something from kerala side of relatives.though every fmly has its own set of unique properties in maintaining cordiality.even adi-sankara is from kerala,a tribute to a wonderful state,though i have only toured this state only for biz purposes and some worshipping centers.

:love:
Kunjuppu,

I agree but that sort of bonhomie will be there only if you are equal in status or higher. Since you now have that privilege you will naturally find it, but, towards people who have not been so fortunate, the behaviour and body language is often different. It was this difference - a bonhommie based on humanistic considerations to people which I thought I was bringing out. If it has not been properly expressed, it is due to my language capacity being not adequate.

I don't find this camaraderie now as widely as it was in those days. I don't know how else to express it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back