• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahmin hatred- not so latent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel most of the migration of Brahmins happened during the 50's,60's and 70's from Tamil Nadu to Bombay, Delhi and other metros mainly because of job opportunities...Only central government job opportunities was there & hardly any State Government opportunities

In Tamil Nadu the Brahmins were prevented from going in for professional degree courses that included Engineering, Medicine and Law...The DMK's plan was to throttle the community by denying college education..The plan succeeded during the DMK rule in the 70's...Many bright students after P.U.C did AMIE as there were no seats to Brahmins in the Engg colleges...Brahmin students were coaxed by their parents to study B.Com and go for C.A where the mad rush for college admissions was not there

It is only after the opening of private colleges in Tamil Nadu in the 80's courtesy Dr M.G.R that the pressure on the community eased...Also when Brahmins started fighting for their rights through Thambraas that the powers that be understood that they cannot keep Brahmins indefinitely out of education

As far as private companies were concerned Brahmins were preferred because of their innate intelligence, hard work and loyalty..They were lapped up by all the Private companies including the Chettiyar companies

Nowadays not many are coming to Delhi or Mumbai..At best migration is to Bangalore and some what Hyderabad.

Last edited:
to sum up, i think the smart tambrams left because usa is better than india. easier living and better opportunities. also they got assistantship for their PG studies.

the not so smart ones left tamil nadu and went to mid east where they made more money than those in usa. and these sent their children to usa to study paying full tuition.

the lower middle/poor class, till the recent IT revolution suffered. especially 1970s, 80s and 90s. now these too are getting better. as a result no more vathiars. so vathiars are prospering. no more cooks for family as these all have taken to wedding planning. so these too make top money (try getting one for a reasonable sum these days!!).

so who in tambram community today is suffering. some hands up please. seriously!!

Even today in TN TBs are discriminated in collage admission, government jobs, and in doing business with government. I am saying it because I have heard it so many times.

It is not to say that discrimination does not take place in other situations. This birth based discrimination is heinous because the victim is being punished even though that person may not committed any wrong doing.

I feel most of the migration of Brahmins happened during the 50's,60's and 70's from Tamil Nadu to Bombay, Delhi and other metros mainly because of job opportunities...Only central government job opportunities was there & hardly any State Government opportunities

In Tamil Nadu the Brahmins were prevented from going in for professional degree courses that included Engineering, Medicine and Law...The DMK's plan was to throttle the community by denying college education..The plan succeeded during the DMK rule in the 70's...Many bright students after P.U.C did AMIE as there were no seats to Brahmins in the Engg colleges...Brahmin students were coaxed by their parents to study B.Com and go for C.A where the mad rush for college admissions was not there

It is only after the opening of private colleges in Tamil Nadu in the 80's courtesy Dr M.G.R that the pressure on the community eased...Also when Brahmins started fighting for their rights through Thambraas that the powers that be understood that they cannot keep Brahmins indefinitely out of education

As far as private companies were concerned Brahmins were preferred because of their innate intelligence, hard work and loyalty..They were lapped up by all the Private companies including the Chettiyar companies

Nowadays not many are coming to Delhi or Mumbai..At best migration is to Bangalore and some what Hyderabad.
what you say is true of college admissions in seventies and eighties .My better half was denied admission to medical and science courses.she was offered geography. in which she was forced to specialse and reach the doctorate level .she was forced to shift to delhi for employment. A dravidian party functionary offered her a medical seat for few lakhs an offer she could not afford to take. private colleges have helped brahmins to get engg admissions now though there is a price tag.With the recent IT revolution brahmins as you say are heading for bangalore and hyderabad.delhi gurgaon is attracting some mostly MBA s and CAs.Other indians from bihar,jharkand and northeast have become latest hate figures replacing the brahmins,.

to sum up, i think the smart tambrams left because usa is better than india. easier living and better opportunities. also they got assistantship for their PG studies.

the not so smart ones left tamil nadu and went to mid east where they made more money than those in usa. and these sent their children to usa to study paying full tuition.

the lower middle/poor class, till the recent IT revolution suffered. especially 1970s, 80s and 90s. now these too are getting better. as a result no more vathiars. so vathiars are prospering. no more cooks for family as these all have taken to wedding planning. so these too make top money (try getting one for a reasonable sum these days!!).

so who in tambram community today is suffering. some hands up please. seriously!!
tambrahms in us might have been financially smart. Are they not having to shield their children from whites wanting to marry them. what about drug cases ?
as you have pointed out middle east attracted only labour ,supervisory categories with high wages. they are forced to look upto west for higher education. some are getting admissions under NRI category but are missing the gulf lifestyle
kunjuppu saheb are you getting jealous of vadhyars. they never had it so good before
only poor brahmins who cannot buy seats in engg and medical colleges are suffering

what you say is true of college admissions in seventies and eighties .My better half was denied admission to medical and science courses.she was offered geography. in which she was forced to specialse and reach the doctorate level .she was forced to shift to delhi for employment. A dravidian party functionary offered her a medical seat for few lakhs an offer she could not afford to take. private colleges have helped brahmins to get engg admissions now though there is a price tag.With the recent IT revolution brahmins as you say are heading for bangalore and hyderabad.delhi gurgaon is attracting some mostly MBA s and CAs.Other indians from bihar,jharkand and northeast have become latest hate figures replacing the brahmins,.

Not all can afford capitation fees..My Mrs also had to do a Bachelors in Science as the fees was high in capitation colleges and she had to stay in hostel where expenses would be more..Post her graduation she went to Government engineering which is reserved for graduates in Sciences

In Gurgaon there is lot of scope for Analysts too...KPO variety..The large BPO's are always short of data scientists, a role which fits our community better..

Wherever community is united, wherever we go, every one benefits..The moment ego creeps up then we are all doomed....I liked the way the Gurgaon temple is managed..All communities visit there and all rituals are adhered to systematically

tambrahms in us might have been financially smart. Are they not having to shield their children from whites wanting to marry them. what about drug cases ?
as you have pointed out middle east attracted only labour ,supervisory categories with high wages. they are forced to look upto west for higher education. some are getting admissions under NRI category but are missing the gulf lifestyle
kunjuppu saheb are you getting jealous of vadhyars. they never had it so good before
only poor brahmins who cannot buy seats in engg and medical colleges are suffering

i think all of us have familiy stories of denied admission.

my first cousin, girl, inspite of high marks, was laughed off when applied for medicine. she did b.sc botany, then msc in taramani. then usa phd... and now VP of cutting edge biotech firm world famous.

her take now...best thing that happend to her being denied mbbs admission.

not saying it was the right thing to happen. but i believe that no one community can dominate the way we did. we were the wrong community at the wrong time. but that too is history.

i am very happy for the vathiars. though sorry for those who want their services and cant afford it.

all in all it could have been worse. each one of us was our own role model. we did it inspite of terrible community leaders. whose actions only increased the hatred towards tambrams. or who only took care of themselves and their families.

Now the temporary turbulence surmounted, basic cake and cream topping needs satisfied, many are turning back to the roots, with enthusiastic participation in understanding and practicing. Even if a quarter sustain the tradition, it will survive and flourish.

If only, the distractors and bad mouthers look the other side and stay away from smart remarks.

Last edited:
Now the temporary turbulence surmounted, basic cake and cream topping needs satisfied, many are turning back to the roots, with enthusiastic participation in understanding and practicing. Even if a quarter sustain the tradition, it will survive and flourish.

If only, the distractors and bad mouthers look the other side and stay away from smart remarks.

?????????

I could not makesense what you are conveying . shall we all move to sign language

I could not makesense what you are conveying . shall we all move to sign language

My 2 cents on this

What sarang seems to mean is the following:

With our lives getting more settled after all the material comforts and our basic needs met (Read Maslows's hierarchy of needs), we tend to go to our roots of religion, culture and tradition..That's a good beginning for the survival and nourishment of our culture..Only want the naysayers and tooth pickers not to belittle the efforts of this group who are trying to reach the roots!

when i passed out engineering in 1968, there was a depression both in india and the u.s. No one got any placement. I am talking about i.i.t, not any old state engineering college. Government of india came up with a scheme of apprenticeship and we were sent to different industries and given a stipend of rs.250 per month.

U.s government issued immigration visa to qualified indians under a quota. But not many migrated. The only job you could get in the u.s when you landed there was as a petrol bunk attendant. So people who were keen on migrating learnt the petrol filling technique in the local pumps. The other job was washing plates in hotels.

Compare this what happened some decades later.

The industries in tamil nadu were owned by either the brahmins or the chettiars. The brahmins had absolutely no value for merit. Recruitment was based on caste, subcaste, place of birth and whom you knew. A vadama from kallidaikurichi/ambasmudram had the best chance. Non-vadamas were not welcome in any industry. A bsc maman machan was preferred over an i.i.t graduate.

It is this attitude which led to almost every engineer going over to other cities.

The parochial, casteist brahmin industrialists drove us out. Not the government.

They started recognizing merit only when their industries turned sick.

It is the congress government which initiated anti-brahminism. The vice chancellor of the madras university swore that he would eliminate brahmins from education. The chief justice swore that he would see that no brahmin ever became a high court judge. All this happened when there were brahmin ministers at the centre and the state. What did they do to stop this anti_brahminism? Nothing. Congress took up anti-brahminism in a big way to counter the dmk.

Some of the brahmins think that we should become politically active. What will happen if we have 15 m.l.as, and 5 ministers. Nothing will happen to the community. If you think that these people will be any better in improving the lot of the community than the older minsters and politicians, then we are living in a fools paradise.

it is an exaggerated statement.

Unless all the industrialists are from tirunelveli district and are belonging

to vadama sect, it may be possible. In fact, tvs group belongs to iyengar

community.

People from a particular district may dominate but not a particular sect. I

think it is a false statement.

You may please clarify.

My 2 cents on this

What sarang seems to mean is the following:

With our lives getting more settled after all the material comforts and our basic needs met (Read Maslows's hierarchy of needs), we tend to go to our roots of religion, culture and tradition..That's a good beginning for the survival and nourishment of our culture..Only want the naysayers and tooth pickers not to belittle the efforts of this group who are trying to reach the roots!

The "tending to go to our roots of religion" seems to me to be like the ten blind men trying to study the elephant and describe it fully and correctly. These "born-again" type of brahmins - one member here, in particular, comes out as a specimen to me, though, he is unable to hide his pre-born again standards (which are very low class) in most of his writings/posts - would like to do this root-quest without creating even the slightest jeopardy to their "more settled lives, meeting all the material comforts, etc."

The end result is that they seem to have their legs in two boats going in opposite directions. (History refers to a certain punishment of yore, in which the sentenced criminal's legs were tied to two elephants and the elephants driven in opposite directions. I only wish that this root quest of the modern-day born-again people, does not end up like this punishment.;)

The industries in Tamil Nadu were owned by either the Brahmins or the Chettiars. The Brahmins had absolutely no value for merit. Recruitment was based on caste, subcaste, place of birth and whom you knew. A Vadama from Kallidaikurichi/Ambasmudram had the best chance. Non-Vadamas were not welcome in any industry. A Bsc maman machan was preferred over an I.I.T graduate.

DO YOU MEAN ALL INDUSTRIALISTS BELONG TO TIRUNELVELI DISTRICT AND VADAMA

SECT. I DON'T THINK IT IS TRUE. YOU MAY EXPLAIN.

Some of the Brahmins think that we should become politically active. What will happen if we have 15 M.L.As, and 5 ministers. Nothing will happen to the community. If you think that these people will be any better in improving the lot of the community than the older minsters and politicians, then we are living in a fools paradise.

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. YOU CANN'T ACHIEVE ANYTHING THRU POLITICS. IT

IS JAYALALITHA WHO INCREASED THE RESERVATION QUOTA FROM 50% TO 69%. IT IS

SAID SHE BELONGS TO BRAHMIN COMMUNITY. WITHOUT UNITY AND UNIFORM APPROACH,

YOU CANN'T ACHIEVE ANYTHING.

Where are we headed as a community, is disunity the cause of our plight? Tambrams have already migrated in droves, and it is scary to think about the fate of those who do not have the means to migrate.

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE BRAHMIN COMMUNITY. BRAHMIN BASHING IS NOT

ONLY FROM OUTSIDE; IT IS WITHIN THE COMMUNITY AS WELL, AMONG DIFFERENT

SECTS AND CASTES.

WHEN I WAS STAYING IN A ROOM, ONE OF MY ROOM MATES HAPPENS TO BE

A BRAHACHARANAM IYER (MAZHANADU SECT).

HE WAS STAYING IN HIS UNCLE'S HOUSE. AFTER HIS UNCLE GOT TRANSFER, HE WENT TO A

LODGE BUT COULD NOT MANAGE THERE. HE WAS ACCOMMODATED IN MY ROOM. LATER HIS

COUSIN FROM DELHI ALSO JOINED. BEFORE HIS COUSIN JOINING, HE WAS VERY QUITE.

AFTERWARDS, HE STARTED ABUSING OTHER SECTS, PARTICULARLY VADAMA. INTERESTINGLY,

HE WAS ACCOMMODATED BY A VADAMA.

SIMILARLY, IN THE CASE OF IYENGARS, YOU CAN NOTICE ONE THING. IF THERE IS ONLY

ONE IYENGAR, HE WILL ACCEPT EVERYTHING, MOVE FREELY AND SHARE EVEN

LUNCH OR DINNER. BUT IN THE GROUP, IF THEY ARE MORE IN NUMBERS,

THE SITUATION WILL BE TOTALLY DIFFERENT. THE ATTITUDE WILL CHANGE

DRAMATICALLY. THEY WILL DISCUSS ONLY ABOUT THEIR CASTE, GOD, AND

WILL NOT EVEN ACCOMMODATE YOU FOR LUNCH OR DINNER, APART FROM

CRITIZISING YOUR CASTE, GOD ETC.

OUTSIDERS KNOW VERY WELL ABOUT OUR ATTITUDE AND INABILITY TO UNITE.

UNLESS TAMBRAM BECOMES A SINGLE ENTITY WITH SAME SET OF PROCEDURES AND SYSTEMS

FOR BOTH SAIVITE AND VAISHNAVITE BRAHMINS, UNITY IS NOT POSSIBLE AND IT WILL

ONLY BE A PIPE DREAM.

The industries in Tamil Nadu were owned by either the Brahmins or the Chettiars. The Brahmins had absolutely no value for merit. Recruitment was based on caste, subcaste, place of birth and whom you knew. A Vadama from Kallidaikurichi/Ambasmudram had the best chance. Non-Vadamas were not welcome in any industry. A Bsc maman machan was preferred over an I.I.T graduate.

DO YOU MEAN ALL INDUSTRIALISTS BELONG TO TIRUNELVELI DISTRICT AND VADAMA

SECT. I DON'T THINK IT IS TRUE. YOU MAY EXPLAIN.

Some of the Brahmins think that we should become politically active. What will happen if we have 15 M.L.As, and 5 ministers. Nothing will happen to the community. If you think that these people will be any better in improving the lot of the community than the older minsters and politicians, then we are living in a fools paradise.

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. YOU CANN'T ACHIEVE ANYTHING THRU POLITICS. IT

IS JAYALALITHA WHO INCREASED THE RESERVATION QUOTA FROM 50% TO 69%. IT IS

SAID SHE BELONGS TO BRAHMIN COMMUNITY. WITHOUT UNITY AND UNIFORM APPROACH,

YOU CANN'T ACHIEVE ANYTHING.

we can keep shouting about brahmin unity and uniformity of approach. arvind kejrival with a few white capped youth capitalised on a few issues and brought the congress down . A few It savvy brahmin youth lead byChandru 1849 can make a gameplan for creating awareness and bringing change in the community. why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back