• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Brahma Sutras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smt. Renuka,

The sarcasm in the post is too obvious,

Dear Sangom ji,

I was not being sarcastic...I actually surrendered!

Cos you see if Bhagavad Geeta itself is not a good enough supporting evidence what else is?

So you see that is why I surrendered and wrote that post..either:

1)There is some evidence that I do not know where to get from

Or

2)You are impossible to "please"!LOL

Anyway..as I said..I surrendered.

Talking of the correctness of advaita and Hindu philosophy in general, let me say this on a serious note:

When I want to cure my or someone else's health problems, all I say is :

Let the maya that causes the problem be de-projected and let the healthy state be projected and presto !, the problem gets solved. You do not have to take my words for this but I offer to do this on anyone who wants to see the authenticity. Renuka you were especially curious on what I do to solve the problem.

I really do not know what happens beneath those thoughts but I think the principles on which advaita is based seem to be at work.

Last edited:
Talking of the correctness of advaita and Hindu philosophy in general, let me say this on a serious note:

Let the maya that causes the problem be de-projected and let the healthy state be projected and presto !, the problem gets solved. You do not have to take my words for this but I offer to do this on anyone who wants to see the authenticity. Renuka you were especially curious on what I do to solve the problem.

I really do not know what happens beneath those thoughts but I think the principles on which advaita is based seems to be at work.

Dear Sravna,

Pain is real! Believe me..One should never ever get Cluster Headache..the worst type of headache known to mankind which attacks a person during sleep and wakes him/her up.
It also a leading cause for suicide cos its Freaking painful!

Believe me I know how painful that is cos I have it and when I get those attacks...its real Sravna..believe me..it real..No Maya Shaya etc comes into the picture.

There is no known permanent cure for this type of headache yet.

All I can say Sravna do not confuse Advaita with real pain.

Dear Sravna,

Pain is real! Believe me..One should never ever get Cluster Headache..the worst type of headache known to mankind which attacks a person during sleep and wakes him/her up.
It also a leading cause for suicide cos its Freaking painful!

Believe me I know how painful that is cos I have it and when I get those attacks...its real Sravna..believe me..it real..No Maya Shaya etc comes into the picture.

There is no known permanent cure for this type of headache yet.

All I can say Sravna do not confuse Advaita with real pain.

Dear Renuka,

I do not know about cluster headache and whether it can be cured. I only stated my own method to cure problems using the concepts of advaita and how it works.

Dear Renuka,

But based on my own understanding of the problems, I can say with a great deal of certainty though not full certainty that almost any health problem that can cured with tablets can be cured by the above method. I think one has to be really brahman to cure some problems that are cured by surgery, though I think some other problems cured by surgery can also be cured.

Last edited:
Dear Renuka,

But based on my own understanding of the problems, I can say with a great deal of certainty though not full certainty that almost any health problem that can cured with tablets can be cured by the above method. I think one has to be really brahman to cure some problems that are cured by surgery, though I think some other problems cured by surgery can also be cured.

Dear Sravna,

No...its not possible by the method you use.

Dear Sravna,

No...its not possible by the method you use.

Dear Renuka,

If the problems are caused at the physical level such as a bone breaking it cannot be set right. But if it is because of a deeper i.e., spiritual problem I think it can be set right. Most of the physical problems have a deeper cause and it is very likely that they can be cured. Some surgeries are done to set right the surface physical problem and hence can be set right by surgery only but some others can be cured spiritually.

This is my understanding of the problem.

I really do not know what happens beneath those thoughts but I think the principles on which advaita is based seem to be at work.

Dear Shri Sravna,

There have been many native or indigenous treatments for a large range of small ailments, in India. Possibly similar "native" methods do still exist in most other countries also even today. Some of the examples which readily come to mind are கொதிக்கு ஓதுவது, காமாலைக்கு ஓதுவது, குடல் தட்டுவது (treatment to set right intestinal upsets), etc.
Besides the above we have திருஷ்டி சுத்திப்போடறது, ஒதிக்கொடுப்பது, பயத்துக்கு சரடு கெட்டுவது and so on. Many of these are done by elderly (usually illiterate) old women of our villages. I do not think these women have any idea of advaita, philosophy, etc., nor are they any different from the ordinary run of people with all the human weaknesses like jealousy, miserliness, anger, greed etc.

Hence, my considered view is that the success you claim in your treatment of health problems has nothing to do with advaita. And, to the best of my understanding even Adishankara has not said that it is different kinds of maayaas that give rise to different kinds of health problems.

I therefore submit that while you are free to hold any view of anything personally, please do not try to link your cure of diseases to advaita, maayaa etc.

Dear Sravna,

Adi Shankara suffered all the pain and bleeding of an fistula in ano and did not resort to
De- Maya Himself.

So do you really want to believe that Advaita principles can be used to treat diseases?

I do not know about cluster headache and whether it can be cured. I only stated my own method to cure problems using the concepts of advaita and how it works.

We really wouldn't know whether there was any connection between your thought and the person getting healed. Even if we were to assume that the person got healed of certain ailments due to your "thought therapy", we wouldn't know if the concepts of advaita had anything to do with it.

Actually, the concepts of advaita are themselves shaky, so...

Dear Shri Sangom, Renuka and Auh,

I just laid out the facts i.e., What I actually did and what actually happened. That is all. To add, the treatment was more effective than when I just thought the disease should be cured.

Last edited:
Dear Sravna,

I believe you are honest in expressing yourself. I am not going to discuss you are right or wrong because right and wrong are only subjective.

I have a suggestion for you..... If possible, kindly open one more thread for all the discussions so that you could focus on writing on/about 'Brahma Sutra' only.

Actually I was planning to open a thread myself... may do it n Wednesday/Thursday if you had not opened one already.

Cheers!

Dear Sravna,

I believe you are honest in expressing yourself. I am not going to discuss you are right or wrong because right and wrong are only subjective.

I have a suggestion for you..... If possible, kindly open one more thread for all the discussions so that you could focus on writing on/about 'Brahma Sutra' only.

Actually I was planning to open a thread myself... may do it n Wednesday/Thursday if you had not opened one already.

Cheers!

Dear Shri Raghy,

That is easier said than done. I mean it is difficult to focus totally on one topic as there are several ways a topic can get diverted. But I think you are right in your concern. At least for my part I will try not to deviate.

Sutra 6: If it is to be said that thinking is used in a secondary sense with regard to Sat we say not so, because of the word "Self" by which the first cause is referred to in the scriptures.

Note : This sutra as with sutra 5 tries to refute that the pradhana cannot be the first cause since it is insentient. It addresses the following argument of the Samkhyas : By "secondary" it is meant that the thinking mentioned in sutra 5 need not be taken as a literal meaning and that the word thinking may have been used in a figurative sense. It could be figurative because it is said that fire thought and projected water and water thought and projected earth and so on. So such thinking being attributed to them is figurative and so the thinking mentioned in sutra 5 and attributed to the first cause could also be figurative.

Elaboration of the Sutra

The SAT mentioned in Sutra 5 refers to an intelligent principle which is the Jiva, as its self . Pradhana cannot refer to an intelligent principle as its self or its nature because it is not sentient. So the thinking mentioned in sutra 5 is not figurative.

Note:To elucidate, it is said that the self of jiva is nothing but the first cause. But jiva being intelligent, its self cannot be an insentient being like the pradhana.

Last edited:
Dear Sangom ji,

This is the concept of NB I am trying to convey.

Just to add..here Lord Krishna says :

It is quite evident He was talking about Nirguna Brahman.

Dr Renu

Verse 9.4 and 9.5 *together* conveys a description of what is not descripable.

BG presents the essence of Upanishads and your reference is on the mark and complete only by also including 9.5

Obviously literal translation 9.4 and 9.5 will appear contradictory for casual readers without background

Regards

PS: I have been traveling for last many weeks and have not (and do not plan to either) read all the posts . In scanning I found yours to be of value hence my comment. I did see there is another thread created for discussions but this definition is just core to this thread and hence did not want to post this elsewhere

Dr Renu

Verse 9.4 and 9.5 *together* conveys a description of what is not descripable.

BG presents the essence of Upanishads and your reference is on the mark and complete only by also including 9.5

Dear TKS ji,

That is what I thought that BG gives the evidence about Nirguna Brahman.

But what to do?? I was told that BG is not good enough supporting evidence!LOL

For the benefit of readers:

Chapter 9, Verse 4.
bump.gif
By Me, in My unmanifested form, this entire universe is pervaded. All beings are in Me, but I am not in them.

Chapter 9, Verse 5.
bump.gif
And yet everything that is created does not rest in Me. Behold My mystic opulence! Although I am the maintainer of all living entities, and although I am everywhere, still My Self is the very source of creation.

Dear TKS ji,

That is what I thought that BG gives the evidence about Nirguna Brahman.

But what to do?? I was told that BG is not good enough supporting evidence!LOL

For the benefit of readers:

Chapter 9, Verse 4.
bump.gif
By Me, in My unmanifested form, this entire universe is pervaded. All beings are in Me, but I am not in them.

Chapter 9, Verse 5.
bump.gif
And yet everything that is created does not rest in Me. Behold My mystic opulence! Although I am the maintainer of all living entities, and although I am everywhere, still My Self is the very source of creation.

In an open forum there will be all kinds of statements. So in my view you don't have to do anything other than focus on learning hopefully from independent sources that are credible.

Also kindly refer to verse 2.41 - about being resolute (Vyvasathmika .....) .. In this context it is about being resolute to learn the truth.

By the way the whole talk of evidence is silly in my view. The verse describes Isvara's nature as cause of all beings both living and non-living

Last edited:
Dear sravna,

Please refer to post # 530. I asked this and you answered it:

Dear Sravna,
You have covered every thing with a single line disclaimer that it is your understanding. Let it be. Now you are getting into the psychology of languages. Happiness, pleasure etc are all relative terms. Happiness means less of sadness in a scale of more sadness at one end and more happiness at the other end. Similarly pleasure is relative to pain. I can go into further details of this fact. But this is enough for the present. Now you have to tell me where do you place bliss and blissfulness. What is it that is absent or less in a state of bliss? If you say bliss is the opposite something like pain then it should mean soul can be in pain. Would you say yes to this?

Dear Shri Vaagmi,
Only when one becomes self realized one can experience bliss. So one being consummate in development, the bliss which is experienced is also something which doesn't change. So there is nothing like the opposite of it or anything that is less in it.

Being complete(consummate) in development has nothing to do with this. Becoming self realised is just becoming that. Why should that lead to bliss? Are you talking about the state of samadhi in which one is said to be aware of being part of a universal consciousness? Even there how that leads to this thing called bliss needs to be explained. You have not told me yet as to what is this thing which you call bliss. If it is something so difficult to explain I do not have to bother about that bliss. I can remain "blissfully ignorant" of it.Am I not right? Thanks.

Dear sravna,

Please refer to post # 530. I asked this and you answered it:

Being complete(consummate) in development has nothing to do with this. Becoming self realised is just becoming that. Why should that lead to bliss? Are you talking about the state of samadhi in which one is said to be aware of being part of a universal consciousness? Even there how that leads to this thing called bliss needs to be explained. You have not told me yet as to what is this thing which you call bliss. If it is something so difficult to explain I do not have to bother about that bliss. I can remain "blissfully ignorant" of it.Am I not right? Thanks.

Dear Shri Vaagmi,

Let me explain it this way.Pleasure, happiness and bliss are the positive feelings experienced by the body, mind and soul respectively. Pleasure happens when the body is satisfied, happiness happens when the mind is satisfied and bliss happens when the soul is satisfied. By satisfaction I mean something that can take them to the positive state.A soul is satisfied when self realization occurs and that causes the bliss.

[h=1]Brahma Sutram[/h] Maharishi Vyasacharya wrote the Brahma Sutras to clarify
various possible doubts that could arise while studying
the Upanishad mantras. Some of the sutras are explained.

Kindly visit the Brahma Sutram page on The Internet
Archive and have a nice time.

Class Name
Download
Play Online
Class 01Download
Class 02Download
Class 03Download
Class 04Download
Class 05Download
Class 06Download
Class 07Download