• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Bill To Amend Senior Citizens Act introduced..............

Sundaram Ji,

Everyday when we just turn the daily, invariably there will be case of children abandoning their aged parents and some abusing them for wealth and for other obvious reasons.

Hope with the introduction of this Bill, such unfortunate incident will not occur in future.

Forgotten parents of a young India

The poignant tales of residents of an old age home in Gurgaon drive home the sordid reality: only laws, nothing less, will safeguard the interests of the elderly

he was living in the midst of a chute surrounded by garbage. We took her home, however, we can't let her stay with us anymore as she has turned into a living nightmare for my wife and kids.' You may think these are words of a stranger, but that's how my son, my own flesh and blood described me while discarding me here for the rest of my life. I can't even dare to feel and recreate that pain, because I feel ashamed to be a mother."

Seventy-year-old Suman Datta's (name changed) story is the story of thousands of aged mothers and fathers abandoned by Young India.

Suman has been living here in an old age home for the past couple of years. She still finds it difficult to accept her grim reality-it feels as if it was only yesterday that her children fought for a place in her arms.

While she wails inconsolably, another lady sitting right next to her is listening to our conversation with a stone-cold face. Just as I'm about to turn my attention on her, she starts on her own. "I gave birth to three sons and see what they did? They would beat me every now and then and gradually forced me out of the home. One of them is an officer in the Parliament secretariat, the second one is a pilot and the third one runs his own business. They are all well-settled financially. They have got everything for themselves, but nothing for me." Gayatri Devi (name changed), 72, goes on talking, in a voice that is cold and piercing like a shrapnel.

Last edited:
Maybe it looks like a necessity. I haven't read the the important features. I feel being old the elderly may not be able to fight alone. Worse still if they have no 'honest' relatives. Social workers should be allowed to take up their cause. The necessity of the law is unfortunate. I fervently hope this effort does not distance the heavenly made relatives.

Maha52ji,

Yes, I read these stories, and now I contribute to one of them. It saddens me to see these cases.,

But the laws in the book did not help these elderly people.
How is the enhanced bill going to help?
There is no mechanism to enforce it. There is no social stigma.
The government passing laws is just crocodile tears.

Maha52ji,

Yes, I read these stories, and now I contribute to one of them. It saddens me to see these cases.,

Prasad Ji,

You are entitled to your opinion.

This thread is under News and updates section.

You are free to open a separate thread on the above subject either under Politics and Current Affairs Section and we can discuss about Modi's report card, welfare measures and other laws introduced, implemented and how general public benefited out of such projects.

Your opinion is vague

Prasad Ji,

You are entitled to your opinion.

This thread is under News and updates section.

You are free to open a separate thread on the above subject either under Politics and Current Affairs Section and we can discuss about Modi's report card, welfare measures and other laws introduced, implemented and how general public benefited out of such projects.

Your opinion is vague

Mahaji,

Treat each post as an opinion. I discuss each thread on its own merit.
My criticism of the implementation of any law or a bill is in general.
It was not about your GOD or anything. It was purely at the human level. So please don't get your dander ruffled up.

Every criticism is not political so before becoming a moderator be a model member.

So do not make it personal and keep it civil.

Last edited:
Mahaji,

Treat each post as an opinion. I discuss each thread on its own merit.
My criticism of the implementation of any law or a bill is in general.
It was not about your GOD or anything. It was purely at the human level. So please don't your dander ruffled up.

Every criticism is not political so before becoming a moderator be a model member.

So do not make it personal and keep it civil.

Prasad Ji,

It is very easy to preach sermon to others as though you are Holier than thou

But self practicing what we preach is very difficult. As senior member you are supposed to exhibit maturity in your postings and set an example to others.

I expect this from you and don't disappoint me.

Prasad Ji,

But self practicing what we preach is very difficult. As senior member you are supposed to exhibit maturity in your postings and set an example to others.

You started preaching and I point out your (?) ignorance of the norms you start attacking the person behind the post. Get the sequence right first.

Maha52ji,

yes mr prasad. many laws are there in many walks of life but most of them are not made aware and seldom appplicable easily and usable. i have a booklet containg the benefits those could be availed by senior citizens . like medicine charges in designated outlets, air fare etc . Neither the service provider ,ambulance fee nor the supposed to be beneficlary are able to transact. like this many in other fields , as well.

Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007 is a legislation enacted in 2007, initiated by Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India., to provide more effective provision for maintenance and welfare of parents and senior citizens. This Act make it a legal obligation for children and heirs to provide maintenance to senior citizens and parents, by monthly allowance. This Act also provides simple, speedy and inexpensive mechanism for the protection of life and property of the older persons. After being passed by the parliament of India received the assent of President of India on December 29, 2007 and was published in the Gazette of India on December 31, 2007.Some states have already implemented the act and other states are taking steps for implementing this Act.

Indian society lay high importance on providing care and protection for parents and elderly. Withering of joint family system has contributed to the challenges faced by elderly. Nowadays they are forced to live alone and are exposed to various kinds of problems such as lack of physical, social, emotional and financial support. To overcome such difficulties and to face new challenges, the Government of India has enacted this law in the fifty- eighth year of republic so as to provide maintenance and protection to parents and senior citizens. The population of the senior citizens constituted 7.5% of the total population in 2001. However, as per the Report of the Technical Group on Population Projections, constituted by the National Commission on Population in May 2006, and published by the Office of the Registrar General of India, this figure is projected to go up to 12.40% of the population by 2026.
The first case under the act was filed in November 2011 by Siluvai (age 84) and his wife Arulammal (age 80) of Tuticorin against their son and daughter-in-law for neglect, besides taking away their two homes and gold jewellery.

Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007 is a legislation enacted in 2007, initiated by Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Government of India., to provide more effective provision for maintenance and welfare of parents and senior citizens. This Act make it a legal obligation for children and heirs to provide maintenance to senior citizens and parents, by monthly allowance. This Act also provides simple, speedy and inexpensive mechanism for the protection of life and property of the older persons. After being passed by the parliament of India received the assent of President of India on December 29, 2007 and was published in the Gazette of India on December 31, 2007.Some states have already implemented the act and other states are taking steps for implementing this Act.

Indian society lay high importance on providing care and protection for parents and elderly. Withering of joint family system has contributed to the challenges faced by elderly. Nowadays they are forced to live alone and are exposed to various kinds of problems such as lack of physical, social, emotional and financial support. To overcome such difficulties and to face new challenges, the Government of India has enacted this law in the fifty- eighth year of republic so as to provide maintenance and protection to parents and senior citizens. The population of the senior citizens constituted 7.5% of the total population in 2001. However, as per the Report of the Technical Group on Population Projections, constituted by the National Commission on Population in May 2006, and published by the Office of the Registrar General of India, this figure is projected to go up to 12.40% of the population by 2026.
The first case under the act was filed in November 2011 by Siluvai (age 84) and his wife Arulammal (age 80) of Tuticorin against their son and daughter-in-law for neglect, besides taking away their two homes and gold jewellery.
It is an unfortunate fact of life that there are children who by coercion or deceit take away their parents movable and immovable assets and leave them to fend for themselves. However, in many cases, they follow the precedents set by their parents. If parents had exploited or neglected their parents, they should expect to be treated the same way. Anyway, this legislation is a step in the right direction. This abandoning of parents is more prevalent in North India. When I state North India, this does not cover Western and Eastern India, though such unfortunate incidents cannot be totally ruled out across the country.

Last edited:
You started preaching and I point out your (?) ignorance of the norms you start attacking the person behind the post. Get the sequence right first.

1576419050724.png

Needs no comment.

Unlike few, I am ware of forum ethics.

Bye

Last edited:
Maha52ji,

It is just introduced and it needs to be implemented and only after enforcement, one cannot pass opinion on that. And passing opinion on a bill that was just introduced is definitely premature.

Maha52ji,

Now what do you know about the existing mechanism. You just come here and simple pass a judgement that there is no mechanism. You are completely ignorant of the existing mechanism. Please go through the Bill number of times atleast.

Maha52ji,

This is a biased opinion of yours. If you cite one incident to convince the readers, anyone will accept this.
Merely coming here to narrate that introduction of such a Bill is something an act of crocodile tears may leave others to think either you should be a naysayers or a doomsayer.

Last edited:
It is just introduced and it needs to be implemented and only after enforcement, one pay pass opinion on that And passing opinion on a bill that was just introduced is definitely premature.

Now what do you know about the existing mechanism. You just come here and simple pass a judgement that there is no mechanism. You are completely ignorant of the existing mechanism. Please go through the Bill number of times atleast.

This is a biased opinion of yours. If you cite one incident to convince the readers, anyone will accept this.
Merely coming here to narrate that introduction of such a Bill is something an act of crocodile tears may leave others to think either you should be a naysayers or a doomsayer.

So your opinions are Unbiased?

I support some of these homes for the elderly.
I am also part of the group called.

So before pontificating know-how, the system works, and I was talking about the 2007 law that was passed.

The new bill is an amendment to that law. Anyone can judge how the present law is working or not.
You can build a beautiful bridge, but without the roads, it will be useless.

So before pontificating know-how, the system works, and I was talking about the 2007 law that was passed.

So, you are talking about the Bill that was passed in 2007 now??

Not about the latest Amendment..!!

If that is the case, your postings are quite irrelevant to the thread and of course, there are chances that you may come up with other excuses of referring such Acts in USA, etc if we go deeper into the topic..

debates and discussions if consructive and if withoit opinionated serve a learning curve . But looks like some are ever biassed "to oppose to" with anything and everything that is announced . Baby is just out. Why not we wait for it to reach a shape and then comment, correct, criticize whatever . Though in forum pro and antis are possible can we retrospect, please for good order sake

debates and discussions if consructive and if withoit opinionated serve a learning curve . But looks like some are ever biassed "to oppose to" with anything and everything that is announced . Baby is just out. Why not we wait for it to reach a shape and then comment, correct, criticize whatever . Though in forum pro and antis are possible can we retrospect, please for good order sake

You are right sir,

Yes we need to wait for it to reach a shape and then comment, correct, criticize about to pros and cons.

But we do have members who just when the matter is discussed in parliament, these alleged Veterans jumps to pass judgement about the fate of Bill, Law, its enforcement, its impact on the society, its reaction by the public and how public accepts, etc etc

There are certain formalities and procedures prescribed before a Bill is introduced for enforcement as a law.

Here are some:

The ministry drafts a text of the proposed law, which is called a ‘Bill’, after calling comments from other ministries, and even from the public. The draft is revised to incorporate such inputs and is then vetted by the Law Ministry. It is then presented to the Cabinet for approval.

After the Cabinet approves the Bill, it is introduced in Parliament. In Parliament, it goes through three Readings in both Houses.

During the First Reading the Bill is introduced. The introduction of a Bill may be opposed and the matter may be put to a vote in the House.

After a Bill has been introduced, the Bill may be referred to the concerned Departmentally Related Standing Committee for examination.

The Standing Committee considers the broad objectives and the specific clauses of the Bill referred to it and may invite public comments on a Bill. It then submits its recommendations in the form of a report to Parliament.

In the Second Reading (Consideration), the Bill is scrutinized thoroughly. Each clause of the Bill is discussed and may be accepted, amended or rejected. The government, or any MP, may introduce amendments to the Bill. However, the government is not bound to accept the Committee’s recommendations.

During the Third Reading (Passing), the House votes on the redrafted Bill.

If the Bill is passed in one House, it is then sent to the other House, where it goes through the second and third readings.

After both Houses of Parliament pass a Bill, it is presented to the President for assent. He/She has the right to seek information and clarification about the Bill, and may return it to Parliament for reconsideration.

(If both Houses pass the Bill again, the President has to assent)

After the President gives assent, the Bill is notified as an Act.
http://prsindia.org/theprsblog/how-law-enacted-parliament

Prasad Ji,

Prasadji, no sense arguing with the likes of Prasad who simply cannot digest anything good coming out of Modi government, even if it as noble as taking care of the elderly via legal recourse. They can't help putting a negative spin on it. Their argument is that it is just a political ploy and will not work!

Bill To amend Senior Citizens Act to criminalize Abandonment & Abuse of Parents/Senior Citizens Introduced In Lok sabha

No parent is going to lodge a police complaint against his / her own child / children for abandoning him / her/ them.
The law should allow a concerned outsider [ whether neighbour or old age home or any other NGO ] to do it on behalf of the said person/s - otherwise it will be just you and me sympathising for the plight of the old people.
It will be for the police to verify the truth [or lackof it ] of the complaint

No parent is going to lodge a police complaint against his / her own child / children for abandoning him / her/ them.
The law should allow a concerned outsider [ whether neighbour or old age home or any other NGO ] to do it on behalf of the said person/s - otherwise it will be just you and me sympathising for the plight of the old people.
It will be for the police to verify the truth [or lackof it ] of the complaint

There is relief....

Parents can evict abusive adult children from their house: HC

Children who abuse their parents while staying with them in their house can be evicted from the property, the Delhi High Court has ruled.

Justice Manmohan, in his ruling, specified that the house need not be self-acquired or owned by the parents.

“As long as the parents have the legal possession of the property, they can evict their abusive adult children,” the court said, adding that even the “courts have repeatedly acknowledged the right of senior citizens or parents to live peacefully and with dignity“.

Latest ads

Back