• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Beef banned in Maharashtra, Rs 10,000 fine and 5 years jail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our constitution supports ban on cow slaughter, but has left it to the states to pass legislation. Bjp supports ban, and bjp cm cannot go against party ideology.

Majority of Hindus of all varnas want cow slaughter banned. I hope your and my wish and demand is fulfilled all over bharth.

Kudos to mahrashtra government for taking the bold step. While all animals and any life is important , "COW" undoubtadly holds a special place in India as well as for Hindus (and it should be more so for this group of tam brahms). Cow is verily the form of Kamadhenu and all gods reside in her apart from its produce which we use daily. As parents are to be taken care of in their old age so should the cow be after its usefull days are over. This is the responsibility of the society. Looking forward to this ban extending across India.

Popular Hindi Actor, Rishi Kapoor (son of Raj Kapoor), in a Twitter message, said that he is a Beef eating Hindu, which received criticism.

How many people protested when an Elephant was tortured in the name of Religious Sect. Till date, there is no protest or criticism. We have no firm principle on Hindu ideology. We act only according to situation and majoratarian view. Sheer nonsense.

just now I read a newsitem saying Goa Govt refused to ban beef because it is Gonese' food item - srinivasan

Cow slaughter is banned in Goa for a long time. Oxen are not slaughtered. The govt does not want to extend the ban to buffalos and bulls.

Beef it seems is a generic name for meat from cattle reared for slaughtering. Even horse meat is called horse beef. In our accepted cause, it cow and her vamsh.

Professor Kancha Ilaiah burst into popular consciousness with his bestseller Why I Am Not a Hindu—A Sudra Critique of Hindutva Philosophy, Culture and Political Economy.
The director of the Centre for the Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy at Maulana Azad National Urdu University—a prominent central university in Hyderabad—Ilaiah peels away the layers of meanings shrouding the ban imposed on cattle slaughter in some Indian states.
Do you think a ban on beef is a cultural imposition on certain sections of Hindus, Muslims and Christians?
It is definitely a cultural imposition— particularly on indigenous groups, such as tribals and Dalits. The question of cultural imposition on Muslims and Christians comes later.
Why do you say that?

Historically, all Indian masses, including the Brahmins, used to eat beef, both in what is called the Vedic and the post-Vedic period. Gautam Buddha rebelled against this tradition because during his time there was a huge consumption of beef by the priestly class. Buddha asked people not to kill cows for sacrifice… not to kill beyond what they needed for consumption. From that stage to the modern period, most of the untouchables, for instance, the Dalits in south India, sustained themselves on beef in summer, when there used to be massive food scarcity. They would eat even dead or diseased cattle.
In my own village, when I was a child, there were about 70 to 80 Dalit families. I remember they used to have full-stomach food in summer only when they were given cattle either sick or dead. They never received rice, millet or any regular food. This situation continues even now.
As for Muslims, meat has been a historical and religiously accepted food. Again, all Muslims were and are not as poverty-stricken as Dalits were. They have other food resources.

History is proof most Hindus never had any beef with beef ? Quartz

I do not have any first hand experience of Beef use in India. I was shocked with butchering of goats in Kalibari Temple.

Halal meat is progressively getting banned in European countries. We will not tolerate cruelty in slaughtering, says Belgian (I think) minister! If non bjp states do not ban, bjp has a better chance to seize power there!

With cow slaughter ban, dalits, Muslims, Christians will not go with half or empty stomached, because most of the meat is exported! Modi called it pink revolution of the congress govt in his election campaign. Kapil sibal has a 100% export slaughter plant.

[h=1]Bombay high court refuses to stay beef ban in Maharashtra[/h]Eating beef is not a fundamental right and legislature can put reasonable restrictions on eating habits of the people, said advocate general

beef%20-kXWG--621x414@LiveMint.jpg

The Maharashtra law has a provision for jail term up to five years and fine of Rs10,000. Photo: Reuters
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mumbai: A division bench of the Bombay high court on Wednesday refused to stay the ban on slaughtering bulls and oxen in Maharashtra, but warned the state government against taking coercive action for possession of beef.

All India Jamaal Quresh, a lobby group of beef traders and various other organizations and individuals have challenged the beef ban on the grounds that the state cannot dictate dietary habits. However, arguing on behalf of the state government, advocate general Sunil Manohar said, “Eating beef is not a fundamental right and legislature can put reasonable restrictions on eating habits of the people.”
The case was heard by a division bench of justices V.M. Kanade and M.S. Sonak.

The Maharashtra law has a provision for jail term up to five years and fine of Rs.10,000.

On 3 March, President Pranab Mukherjee gave his assent to the Maharashtra Animal Preservation (Amendment) Bill, 1995, that prohibits the slaughter of bulls and oxen and the possession and sale of beef. However, the law allows slaughter of buffaloes.

Read more at: Bombay high court refuses to stay beef ban in Maharashtra - Livemint

And the court has asked the state not to take action except filing fir on those in possession of beef, and wait for three months to dispose/sell stock. We can expect beef festivals for next three months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back