• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Beef banned in Maharashtra, Rs 10,000 fine and 5 years jail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beef banned in Maharashtra, Rs 10,000 fine and 5 years jail

Beef lovers in Maharashtra will now have to do without the red meat as President Pranab Mukherjee has given his assent to the Maharashtra Animal Preservation (Amendment) Bill, 1995, nearly 19 years after the Maharashtra Assembly passed the Bill during the BJP-Shiv Sena rule in 1995.

The slaughter of cows was previously prohibited in the state under the Maharashtra Animal Preservation Act of 1976. However, the passage of the new Act will ban the slaughter of bulls as well as bullocks, which was previously allowed based on a fit-for-slaughter certificate.

The new Act will, however, allow slaughter of water buffaloes, which provides carabeef — generally seen as an inferior quality meat that makes up only 25 per cent of the total beef market in the state. Beef traders claim the move will not only render thousands jobless, but will also drive up the cost of other meats in the state.

Thanks a lot Hon President Sir for the assent on Maharashtra Animal Preservation Bill. Our dream of ban on cow slaughter becomes a reality now,” Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis tweeted.

“This is a historic step, which has cultural as well as economic implications for the state. We had passed this Act when we were in power in 1995 and had sent it for the President’s nod in 1996. Subsequent governments in the state, however, failed to do the needful to get the Bill implemented. We had promised in our manifesto to bring this Bill and we have managed to do it,” BJP MP from Mumbai Kirit Somaiya said.

The President had signed the Bill and sent it to the Ministry of Home Affairs, which then informed the Maharashtra Governor of the decision.

Now, anyone found to be selling beef or in possession of it can be jailed for five years and fined Rs 10,000.

The beef trade in the state is largely controlled by Muslims of the Qureshi caste. “Apart from rendering people jobless, the immediate effect will be the spiralling price of other meats as people will be forced to gravitate to them,” president of the Mumbai Suburban Beef Dealer Association Mohammed Qureshi said.

Beef, generally seen as the poor man’s meat, costs almost a third of mutton. Mumbai alone consumes nearly 90,000 kg of mutton every day, sold through 900 licensed stalls and an equal number of illegal stalls.

Beef traders said they are checking if they can take legal recourse. “We are now holding deliberations to see if we can challenge this in any way.

Beef banned in Maharashtra, Rs 10,000 fine and 5 years jail for possession or sale | The Indian Express

What about goats..chickens..pigs etc?

Its not fair just to ban beef..cow alone is not sacred..every animal has the right to live.

What is the sin buffalo committed? It is only colour that matters which takes the route of religious belief.

Beef ban in Maharashtra to hit livelihood of 20 lakh people

Beef ban in Maharashtra to hit livelihood of 20 lakh people

Mumbai: The Maharashtra government’s decision to ban beef is going to affect nearly 20 lakh people whose livelihood depends on the business and Mumbai alone will loose business worth Rs 50 crore. Also, the price of other meats is likely to go up and beef traders fear that the ban will encourage smuggling of beef.

“There are at least 20,000 members of the Qureshi community associated with the beef business in Maharashtra. This is their family business and they have been doing it for generations. The leather industry, farmers, middlemen, workers at slaughterhouses, retailers are also associated with the business. But the government has not offered any alternative for them, especially the Qureshi community, who will be completely jobless,” said Abdul Jameel Qureshi from the Beef Traders’ Association. In the city alone, the turnover of the beef trade is of Rs 50 crore, he said.

please read more

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/1503...ban-maharashtra-hit-livelihood-20-lakh-people

Law followed more in breach. Many states have legislation, but close their eyes. In many abattoirs, a small contingent of protesters gather every day in front of the gates and try to block entry of trucks carrying cows. They are dispersed by police. This has been happening for decades. In tamilnadu too trucks carrying animals to kerala are caught by police but without further action. Strict enforcing is necessary to save cows. Near chennai, one private goshala run by generations of gujaratis accept and maintain non productive cows. They said that money is not a problem as locals and outsides are generous with contribution. In a few sweet shops her run by rajasthanis, collection boxes are kept for cow protection and welfare.

B_M4fLZVAAEXuAC.jpg

So far Hindu's rights have been trampled by successive Governments.. Now we have a Hindu friendly Government.. Welcome this initiative! Hope successor Government does not rescind this order

So far Hindu's rights have been trampled by successive Governments.. Now we have a Hindu friendly Government.. Welcome this initiative! Hope successor Government does not rescind this order
The bill was passed 20 years ago, now the president has found time to sign it.

Muslim chamber welcomes cow slaughter ban

Muslim chamber welcomes cow slaughter ban
Aligarh, March 4, 2015 (IANS)
463449_thump.jpg
The Muslim Chamber of Commerce and Industry (MCCI) here has welcomed the ban on cow slaughter in Maharashtra and urged Prime Minister Narendra Modi to clamp a nationwide ban.

The chamber said the Maharashtra government's move will effectively help improve cattle wealth and increase milk production.

MCCI director Jasim Mohammad told IANS: "Earlier also there was a law in the state but it was not properly implemented. In the fresh law, slaughter of calfs and oxens have also been banned along with cow.

"This is very justified. This is a historic step. Some people are saying that due to the ban, a large number of people will lose their livelihood. But this is a misconception because buffalo slaughter has not been banned.

"Due to unchecked slaughter of animals, which also include cow, the country is facing shortage of milk and milk-based products."

Mohammad said the ban on cow slaughter should be extended to the whole country. MCCI is launching a national signature campaign to request Prime Minister Modi to ban cow slaughter in the country with a central legislation.

here is a contrarian view.

beef is a cheap source of protein to the poorest of the poor. it is the food of the dalits, who work with cow more than we do and who in the end, when died, skin it, cure the skins and eat the meat.

now that it is banned officially, it will be done, underground, like everything else in india. dont we all know, those calfs donated are butchered in simhachalam caves?

vedas sponsored cow slaughter, and the brahmin priests got the prizest cuts. :)

here is a contrarian view.

beef is a cheap source of protein to the poorest of the poor. it is the food of the dalits, who work with cow more than we do and who in the end, when died, skin it, cure the skins and eat the meat.

now that it is banned officially, it will be done, underground, like everything else in india. dont we all know, those calfs donated are butchered in simhachalam caves?

vedas sponsored cow slaughter, and the brahmin priests got the prizest cuts. :)

Not sure why you are bringing in Vedas of yore (500 BC).....For all the present day Brahmins (including Kashmiri Pandits who eat lamb or Begali Brahmins who eat fish), beef is banned as it is a source of several products and is the mother of mankind as Kamadhenu

Killing and eating animals was part and parcel of the cave man's livelihood...Rice, wheat and vegetables came much later...Though animals were given in sacrifice not sure if they were actually eaten after the sacrifice

I understand the Hindu feeling of stopping cow slaughter. My cousin runs a goshala for Kanchi Matt. He used to be the top honcho at a bank. After retirement he has assumed the responsibility of running this goshala. It is funded by donations and sponsorship.

But ultimately, in financial terms it is unproductive work. I agree to a point with Mr. K's post. Why do we need to tell others how to lead their life. Why can we not accept people as they are. India is the leading leather exporter, India is the 2nd largest beef exporter. Is it smart to kill the livelihood of human beings to save bulls, bullock that have served their useful life. Let us not compare human-bread farm animal with human beings. They are consuming valuable resources that can be better utilized.

I am vegetarian to me it does not matter what is done by others.
We should not wear our emotions on the sleeve.

Not sure why you are bringing in Vedas of yore (500 BC).....For all the present day Brahmins (including Kashmiri Pandits who eat lamb or Begali Brahmins who eat fish), beef is banned as it is a source of several products and is the mother of mankind as Kamadhenu

Killing and eating animals was part and parcel of the cave man's livelihood...Rice, wheat and vegetables came much later...Though animals were given in sacrifice not sure if they were actually eaten after the sacrifice

dear vgane,

the only reason i brought up the issue of vedas, is because, i feel, most in this forum swear by it, if not live by it. :)

the key point of mine, is that beef provides proteins and iron for the poorest of the poor ie dalits. you simply cannot tell them to eat something else. they dont have the money and beef has been part of their diet for centuries. current ones and not ancient ones.

today, meat industry, is not only industrialized, but is growing at a tremendous rate in india, thanks to increased wealth. vegetarianism has become more a choice than by religion or faith. i know of vegetarians among muslims and xtians, and not to mention meat eating brahmins. each to his or her own, and i think, it is simply not worthwhile to interfere in people's food habits.

on a related topic, if cow is kamadhenu, why are these being abandoned in the streets, eating garbage and film/political posters. should they not all be looked after in their non productive age? have you any comments on what is happening in simhachalam?

i am not trying to be picky here. just pointing out the huge difference between what is legislated and what is practised. and what is said here, is not my opinion. it is truth that can be verified in written form or in the web.

thank you.

ps. i am not advocating cow slaughter here. just giving another viewpoint from dalits known to me. and also the abandonment of cows which you see all over india.

Majority of Hindus venerate cow and abhor killing cows. The Muslim chamber of commerce in Mumbai has welcomed the ban.
Is it true that horse and dog meat is prohibited in USA? There are many countries with selective ban on killing of some animal species for food for different reasons.
Anyway Hindus want ban on cow slaughter, and is desired in the constitution.

I think for a ban to be fair and secular it should ban all animal slaughter. What if another religious group wants to ban lamb and another one chicken? Completely support the ecological and humane reasons for the ban but it should be on firmer legal ground.

Majority of Hindus venerate cow and abhor killing cows. The Muslim chamber of commerce in Mumbai has welcomed the ban.
Is it true that horse and dog meat is prohibited in USA? There are many countries with selective ban on killing of some animal species for food for different reasons.
Anyway Hindus want ban on cow slaughter, and is desired in the constitution.

dear sarang, i think horse meat is ok in the usa. they dont eat it but export it to france who love it.

re american cats and dogs, it is better i think to be born an american cat or dog, than a black or hispanic in the usa. or for that matter in any part of the world as a human. though i would not want to be born a dog in china or vietnam :)

dear sarang, i think horse meat is ok in the usa. they dont eat it but export it to france who love it.

re american cats and dogs, it is better i think to be born an american cat or dog, than a black or hispanic in the usa. or for that matter in any part of the world as a human. though i would not want to be born a dog in china or vietnam :)

It is not ban, it is matter of supply and demand.
If there is no demand then the supply has to vanish. It is individual's choice not forced by government or majority.

dear vgane,

the only reason i brought up the issue of vedas, is because, i feel, most in this forum swear by it, if not live by it. :)

the key point of mine, is that beef provides proteins and iron for the poorest of the poor ie dalits. you simply cannot tell them to eat something else. they dont have the money and beef has been part of their diet for centuries. current ones and not ancient ones.

today, meat industry, is not only industrialized, but is growing at a tremendous rate in india, thanks to increased wealth. vegetarianism has become more a choice than by religion or faith. i know of vegetarians among muslims and xtians, and not to mention meat eating brahmins. each to his or her own, and i think, it is simply not worthwhile to interfere in people's food habits.

on a related topic, if cow is kamadhenu, why are these being abandoned in the streets, eating garbage and film/political posters. should they not all be looked after in their non productive age? have you any comments on what is happening in simhachalam?

i am not trying to be picky here. just pointing out the huge difference between what is legislated and what is practised. and what is said here, is not my opinion. it is truth that can be verified in written form or in the web.

thank you.

ps. i am not advocating cow slaughter here. just giving another viewpoint from dalits known to me. and also the abandonment of cows which you see all over india.

Dear Kunjuppu,

Thanks for your post..Yes..We are not doing much to save the cows and they languish in the streets..We need to take better care of them

Plants and trees are indeed the original 'cooks' that take items that cannot be consumed like soil, carbon dioxide, water, sunlight etc and turn them into consumable items for humans and other animals.

A human being is uniquely endowed with an experience of will ( I do not think it is really a 'free will' but will) to choose food that causes least injury to other beings and the environment.

Nature created food for human beings is only vegetarian. Anyone aspiring for leading a life of Dharma will stick with a vegetarian diet which is adequate to support the body. It is adharma to become consumer of animals when choices exist.

In today's world one cannot stop others from eating what they want except laws exist to prevent them from eating other human beings. But it is fine in my view to say that it is Adharma to eat animals and not endorse its consumption. It comes from the view that all beings have a right to live and that let nature take care of the overpopulation. If one is caught in a jungle then minimizing injury would mean consuming an animal. That is well within natures laws. However when one has a choice going for highly cruel option is Adharma.

Banning selective animal from slaughter is not going to do much since it is driven by some feudal beliefs. But it could be a step in the right direction if there are changes possible in the thinking within the society. I hope India does not follow the footsteps of the west with creation of factory farms which are expressions of ultimate cruelty that any human being can conceive of.

What is lost in the melee is Hindus worship cow and will continue to fight cow slaughter. Other issues like caring for old and non productive cows are relevant and need addressing. It is not a brahmin related issue and fought by all. Trying to divert by false claims like cows were sacrificed in yagnas and eaten by brahmins carry no weight in the ban demand.

There are laws to protect some species of animals, killing and eating them is punishable. Salman khan is not yet cleared for blackbuck dinner!

There are references available re. ban on slaughter and human consumption of horse meat and horses are exported to canada or mexico for slaughter. There are efforts to ban export of horses for slaughter too.
Anyway it is irrelevant as Hindus want to ban cow slaughter for consumption.

I think all animal eating should be considered in terms of ecological impact and animal cruelty. Even though I am a Hindu, I think considering which group worships which animal pulls the discussion into a more parochial dimension.

Agree w Biswa.

All animal killings must be banned in time, there is absolutelyNO place for such cruelty in our times !!

For those who still prefer to eat meat, they can go for “Invitro” meat which is cultured meat & not part of any animal!! Hopefullythis becomes a commercially viable option so that all communities can agree toa universal ban.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_vitro_meat

In vitromeat, also called victimlessmeat,cultured meat, tubesteak, cruelty-free meat, shmeat,and test-tube meat, is an animal-flesh product that has never been partof a living animal with exception of the fetalcalf serum taken from a slaughtered cow. In the 21st century, several researchprojects have worked on in vitro meat in the laboratory.[SUP][1][/SUP] The firstin vitro beefburger, created by a Dutch team, was eaten at a demonstrationfor the press in London in August 2013.[SUP][2][/SUP] There remain difficulties to be overcome before in vitro meatbecomes commercially available.[SUP][3][/SUP] Cultured meat is prohibitively expensive, but it is expected that the costcould be reduced to compete with that of conventionally obtained meat as technologyimproves.[SUP][4][5][/SUP] In vitro meat is also an ethical issue. Some argue that it is lessobjectionable than traditionally obtained meat because it doesn't involvekilling and reduces the risk of animal cruelty, while others disagree witheating meat that has not developed naturally

Kudos to mahrashtra government for taking the bold step. While all animals and any life is important , "COW" undoubtadly holds a special place in India as well as for Hindus (and it should be more so for this group of tam brahms). Cow is verily the form of Kamadhenu and all gods reside in her apart from its produce which we use daily. As parents are to be taken care of in their old age so should the cow be after its usefull days are over. This is the responsibility of the society. Looking forward to this ban extending across India.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back