• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Bail Vs Jail: An Editorial From the Hindu 3 Nov 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It is an established principle of criminal jurisprudence that in the absence of specific countervailing factors, there is a general presumption in favour of bail. This rule is a natural extension of the very foundation of the modern legal system, which proceeds on the assumption that all persons are innocent until proven guilty. The enormous public anger against the scale of corruption and fraud, and the brazenness of the conspiracy, involved in the 2G spectrum scandal is understandable and must be commended. But the ‘grave magnitude' of the case should not be allowed to detract from the basic legal principles underlying the grant of bail. But this is what seems to have happened in the CBI special court's denial of bail to DMK MP Ms Kanimozhi and seven others in the 2G case. Given that charges have been framed and the case will go to trial in a few days, why should they remain in jail? The contention that they could tamper with evidence is unpersuasive — the gap between the time the 2G licences were issued and the probe was initiated would have given all accused enough time to destroy or conceal whatever they wanted to. The court maintained that the accused, being influential, could influence the witnesses and prejudice the trial. But the obvious answer would be to place certain restrictions on their movement and activity. The unstated implication of bail denial is that the accused should be in jail until the trial is over — a position that is extreme. The court also ignored the fact that some of the usual grounds for refusing bail — such as the possibility of the accused fleeing from justice or repeating a similar offence — do not apply here.

Unfortunately, the attitude adopted by the CBI vis-à-vis bail for the accused was inconsistent and hard to defend. While it opposed bail to a few high-ranking telecom company executives, it chose not to do so in the case of Ms Kanimozhi and others connected to the alleged payoffs to Kalaignar TV. Ostensibly, this was because the latter were accused in a supplementary charge sheet and under sections where the maximum punishment is five years (as opposed to seven). What this unconvincing argument did was to harden suspicions of political motivation. It is good that high profile cases such as the 2G scandal evoke public outrage, but it is imperative that the criminal justice system is not led by public opinion and emotions. The denial of bail does not presume guilt; nor does the grant of bail imply innocence. The job of the criminal justice system is to do its best to see that all the guilty in the 2G scam are convicted — it is not to make the accused languish in jail as undertrials."

Hello All:

This is what I have been writing for quite some time here.

Thanks, Editor, The Hindu.. Good job.

Last edited:
While I would not like to pass any comment on the editorial I have the feeling that if they remain in jail, there will be speedy trial and unnecessary adjournments will not be there on flimsy grounds.

The Editorial in Hindu or The Author is not the Supreme power to Direct Court. Moreover The Hindu Family is Close to DMK. So nothing to Amaze in its Editorial. What the Honorable Judge Decided is almost Correct in his judgement and Decision.

For example T.Krishnan ( Thakkiyar ) Murder case.What happened at last ? .

Everyone knows that the Influence of DMK diluted the case.

Above all 2G Spectrum Case is The First of its kind to investigate such a Massive Scam after independence,.

​So the Suspicion of The Honorable Judge against Kani is Right that she may try to Dilute the case and Slaughter Justice.

The DMK has influenced in " Sarkariya Commission Findings " of 70's and Thro it to Basket with the Help of Indra Gandhi in 1980.

The Very same DMK again diluted Jain Commission Findings also .

Thakkiyar Murder case also mocked by DMK's influence and a Very Great Mockery against Justice was executed.

Like the same way 2G also will go to Grave if Kani is given Bail.

The Editorial in Hindu or The Author is not the Supreme power to Direct Court. Moreover The Hindu Family is Close to DMK. So nothing to Amaze in its Editorial. What the Honorable Judge Decided is almost Correct in his judgement and Decision.

For example T.Krishnan ( Thakkiyar ) Murder case.What happened at last ? .

Everyone knows that the Influence of DMK diluted the case.

Above all 2G Spectrum Case is The First of its kind to investigate such a Massive Scam after independence,.

​So the Suspicion of The Honorable Judge against Kani is Right that she may try to Dilute the case and Slaughter Justice.

1. The "2G Scam" is the invention of the electronic media and the BJP/NDA to topple an elected Govt by subversive means.

2. The CAG came up with the NOTIONAL LOSS of Rs 176000 Crores by fraudulent means:

RP Singh the original field Auditor General claimed a NOTIONAL LOSS of LESS THAN Rs 2700 Crores.

Then, suddenly it went up to a humongous Rs 176,000 Crores and settled down to Rs 30,950 Crores according to CBI.

How?

3. A. Raja and Kani are in sound legal grounds since on record the Govt has said "There was NO REAL loss on 2G sale in 2008".

4. When Yedi got bail in Karnataka, the Judge followed the Constitution and the Law.. when OP Saini denied bail to Kani he violated it.

OP Saini is not a Judge... he is a Prosecutor himself, should be sacked from the Bench.

5. Trial Judges, along with many newspapers, are revolting against Jail not Bail philosophy of Justice!

Consequently, the Trial Judges may let go Kani & co after the trial, no matter what the Prosecution says!

6. A. Raja has not asked for a bail! Very interesting... he is following the tactics of Anna Hazare!

Wait & watch.

Last edited:
While I would not like to pass any comment on the editorial I have the feeling that if they remain in jail, there will be speedy trial and unnecessary adjournments will not be there on flimsy grounds.

Maybe.

But the Constitution and the Law of the Land is violated with vengeance!

By the same Judges, whose prime job and duty is to uphold them!!

I hope the Trial Judges take notice of this, and quickly render a "Not Guilty" Verdict on the Defendants!

Wait & watch.

And Kanimozhi is a former employee of 'the hindu'.

Kani and her mother got greedy and wanted to keep pace with their step mother and step brothers.

And Kanimozhi is a former employee of 'the hindu'.

Kani and her mother got greedy and wanted to keep pace with their step mother and step brothers.

Hindu Editor N. Ram favors prosecution of all involved in the 2G "Scam".

He doesn't like Judges favoring Jail over Bail. That's all. Because he knows the Constitution and the Laws of the Land.

Kani helped her Dad in forming the Kalaigner TV after there was a family feud between them and Maran Bros who run the popular SunTV.

Dayalu Ammal (Mu Ka's older wife, I believe) owns 60% of KTV, she owns only 20% and the Managing Partner owns the rest.

In theory, ALL partners must be sued or only the Managing Partner because he is the person who signs the Contracts and handles all money matters. Kani never signed a single business paper!

What CBI did is pure arbitrary behavior, violating basic norms of law.

Where is the Justice?

I dont know the reason why Shri Yamka is daringly supporting Kani & co in their scams.May be because he may be a DMK Supporter.

Rt from the beginning M.K openly statemented that A.Raja was targeted by all Media only because he is a Dalit and particularly targeted by Media as almost all Medias were in the Hands of Poonul ( Brahmins).

When his Daughter was found involved he spoke against Cong (Koodatha Natpu) .

As and when she (Kani) is arrested by CBI he immediately arranged " Pothu Kuzhu " of the party (DMK) and spoke that it is The Duty of the party to fight against the arrest and Safe Guard Kani.

The very same M.K never cared about the Massacre of innocent tamils in Sri Lanka as well as when Tamil Fisherman were Tortured by Sri Lankan Navy .

Except he wrote letter to M.M.S and Cooled himself and Fooled People.

He regularly says that " Power " is like a Thundu in Shoulder and Party is like a Veshti. That is he is ready to kick Power to save the Tamils.

But he Fixed firmly in C.M's Chair and never Cared about Lankan Tamils and Tamil Fisherman.

but immediately arranged Pothu Kuzhu to save Kani and send his envoy T.R.B to meet Sonia and MMS.

I dont know the reason why Shri Yamka is daringly supporting Kani & co in their scams.May be because he may be a DMK Supporter.

Rt from the beginning M.K openly statemented that A.Raja was targeted by all Media only because he is a Dalit and particularly targeted by Media as almost all Medias were in the Hands of Poonul ( Brahmins).

When his Daughter was found involved he spoke against Cong (Koodatha Natpu) .

As and when she (Kani) is arrested by CBI he immediately arranged " Pothu Kuzhu " of the party (DMK) and spoke that it is The Duty of the party to fight against the arrest and Safe Guard Kani.

The very same M.K never cared about the Massacre of innocent tamils in Sri Lanka as well as when Tamil Fisherman were Tortured by Sri Lankan Navy .

Except he wrote letter to M.M.S and Cooled himself and Fooled People.

He regularly says that " Power " is like a Thundu in Shoulder and Party is like a Veshti. That is he is ready to kick Power to save the Tamils.

But he Fixed firmly in C.M's Chair and never Cared about Lankan Tamils and Tamil Fisherman.

but immediately arranged Pothu Kuzhu to save Kani and send his envoy T.R.B to meet Sonia and MMS.

1. I am not a DMK or AIADMK person... in fact, when I was in India, I used to follow Paramount Leader Kamaraj.

But I care about the Judicial Process. That's all.

2. I have written here before this: Mu Ka as a Kalaigner - Artist- is a very accomplished person without formal education. His achievements in Tamil literature, drama and script writing is quite commendable.

But as a politician, Mu Ka is a rogue. He had a wonderful opportunity to run his Party very democratic.. He should NEVER have allowed any of his sons/daughter enter politics. He made nepotism a normal walk of life with very bad taste and result. He destroyed his Party and partly destroyed TN.

CM J Jaya is as corrupt as Mu Ka is. They both destroyed TN.

In spite of these two DK Parties, still TN managed to be the Top Tier State is a wonder!

Wait & watch.

Some six or seven muslims were taken into custody in connection with Malegaon blasts.
Subsequently several Hindus were taken into custody for the same case and investigations are going on.It appears the ruling party at the centre is more interested in bringing bad name to people following a particular ideology (as they did in respect of communal riots that took place in Gujarat in 2002 forgetting that a similar major communal riot took place in Gujarat in 1969 when Congress was ruling the country and also Gujarat state)than bringing the real culprits before Law.A newsitem appeared in some newspapers that the Army Officer Mr.Purohit participated on specific orders of his senior officers, but prevented from telling the investigating agency about his role as per orders of military high command.The people are not getting the real truth.
Recently the Muslims who were languishing in Jail for over three years as 'suspects' were released at the specific direction of the Home Ministry.
I think common citizens are helpless in democratic India.It is high time we restructure our judicial system.

Thiru.Yamaha,
I applaud your statement that 'Ms.Jayalalitha and Mu.Ka have destroyed TN'.
Please take a little sugar in your mouth (of course from your house only)
on my behalf.

Recently some Muslims who were taken into custody as 'suspects' in
Malegaon blasts case and released from Jail after more than three years
at the instance of the Home Ministry in the centre.
One of the hindus taken into custody in this case is an army officer.
Recently,a news item appeared in newspapers that Mr.Purohit army officer was specifically asked to spy on the organization which authorities believed is
spreading message of violence in retaliation to terroristsand he was instructed not to disclose this information(on specific orders of C-I- C of Indian Army) to the investigating agency.He is still under custody.
Where is justice in India.

Last edited:
Long ago Mr.Subramaniam Swamy stressed that adequate protection be provided
to Mr.Raja, otherwise he will be bumbed off.
What happened to his secretary ?
The Hindu is biased in favour of MK and his family and their editorial naturally
favours Mk.
These are very powerful people having lot of money both here and abroad and
can purchase anyone.
I think people do not know about MK and his party cadres character and conduct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back