• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Azhvars, Acharyas, and present day SVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nara

Caveat:
On the one hand I want to take on Raju for the outrageous comments he continues to make and his penchant for making rude personal comments. But, at the same time I am weary of taxing the reader's patience. So, I thought I will start this thread to sort things out with Raju.

Please stay away from this thread if you don't have the stomach for such wrangling.

Raju, I have nothing against you personally, may even consider you my friend, if only you can tone the personal invectives down. The views I express are not something I formed carelessly or flippantly, they are based on long years of study and reflection. You may have a different view and may want to challenge me and that is great, I welcome it. But I request you not to use terms like "twisting" which implies nefarious motive, causes ill feeling.

The main point of contention is about Swami Periyavacchan Pillai's commentary for Thondaradippodi's Thirumalai verse #42.

This is the pasurm:

"பழுதிலா ஒழுகல் ஆற்றுப் பல சதுப்பேதிமார்கள்
இழிகுலத்தவர்கள் ஏலும் எம் அடியார்கள் ஆகில்
தொழுமினீர் கொடுமின் கொள்மின் என்று நின்னோடும் ஒக்க
வழிபட அருளினாய் போல் மதிள் திருவர
ங்கத்தானே."

Free translation:
"A devotee of Ranganatha, even if born in a wretched "kulam", let those who are well versed in all four Vedas and are able to trace their lineage all the way back to Brhmma, give and take from them, worship them as equal to Ranganatha."

Now SPVP's commentary:
I am giving almost all of it verbatim. The whole commentary is a fantastic read, but all may not be cut up to it, so I have highlighted the most pertinent sections. Look for the following important points SPVP makes, (i) the birth based superiority of brahmins (note, this is what SPVP is saying, not me), (ii) to overcome this pride fall at the feet of those devotees of low birth, (iii) give and take spiritual knowledge from them.

My charge is, SVs, from the top to the bottom, for a long time now, have completely thrown these ideas expressed by SPVP, not me, out of the window, and yet hypocritically feign reverence to the same Acharyas. This is my charge.

Raju, answer this charge. This is not about twisting, misinterpreting, here is the original text, verbatim, taken from Puttur Krishnaswami Aiyengar publication.

பழுதிலா ஒழுகல் ஆற்று: ப்ரஹ்மா தொடங்கித் தங்கள் அளவும் வர நெடுகிப்போருகிற வம்ச ப்ரவாஹத்திலே ஒரு தோஷம் இன்றிக்கே இருக்கும் அவர்கள் அதாகிறது -- உத்பத்திகளிலே ஆதல், அசாராதிகளிலே ஆதல், ஒரு வகையிலும் ப்ராஹ்மண்ய ப்ரச்யுதி இன்றிக்கே இருக்கை.

பல சதுப்பேதிமார்கள்: இவ்வம்சத்தில் சதுர்வேதிக்ளாய் இருப்பார் அநேகர் என்கை.

இழிகுலத்தவர்கள் ஏலும்: இதில் கீழ்ப்பட்டதில்லை என்னும் நிஹீந குலத்தில் பிறந்தவர்களே ஆகிலும், பஹூநாம் ஜந்மநாமந்தே என்கிறபடியே அநேக புண்யஜன்மங்களினுடைய அவஸாநத்திலே ஸ்வரூபஜ்ஞாநம் பிறக்கும் என்று சொல்லுகையாலே ஜ்ஞாந அதிகாராய் இருப்பார்க்கு நிஹீந ஜந்மம் கூடாது விதுர தர்மவ்யாதாதிகளைப் போலே கூடிற்றேயாகிலும்.

எம் அடியார்கள் ஆகில்: என்னோட்டை அஸாதாரண பந்தத்தை அறிந்து ஜ்ஞாந அநுகூலமான ஸ்வ ஆசாரத்தை உடையராகில், கைங்கர்யமே எல்லா நன்மைகளுமாக நினைத்திருக்கும் அவர்களாய், ஈச்வரனும் "இவர்கள் திறத்தில் நாமே இவர்களுக்கு உபாய உபேயங்களும் எல்லா உறவும்" என்று நினைத்திருக்கப்படுமவர்கள்.

தொழுமினீர்: நீங்கள் தொழுங்கள், "ஏத ஏவ ஸதாம் தம:" என்கிறபடியே உங்களுடைய வித்யா வ்ருத்தங்களும், ஜந்ம உத்க்கர்ஷங்களும், மத ஹேதுவாகை அன்றிக்கே தம ஹேது என்று இருக்கும் நீங்கள், அவர்கள் காலிலே விழுங்கோள். "காலேஷ்வபி ச ஸர்வேஷு" இத்யாதிகளில் சொல்லுகிறபடியே பகவத் ப்ரஸாதம் ஒழிந்த ஸாதநாந்தரங்கள் பயஸ்தாநம் என்று இருக்கும் நீங்கள் அவர்களை ஆராதியுங்கோள். "பரஸ்பர நீச பாவை" என்கிறபடியே ஸ்வரூபப் ப்ராப்தமான நீசபாவமானது அவர்களுக்கு ஸ்வரூப ஸித்தம். உங்களுக்கு துர்மாநத்தாலே துஷ்கரம். அவர்களைத் தொழவே உங்கள் ஸம்ஸார பீஜமான துர்மாநம் போம். நிஹீந ஜன்மத்திலே பிறந்தவன் ப்ராஹ்மணனுக்கு ரக்ஷகனாக எங்கே கண்டோம் என்னில், கைசிக ஸம்பந்தம் ப்ராஹ்மணனுக்குப் போக்கிக் கொடுக்க கண்டோமிறே.

கொடுமின் கொள்மின்: அவர்கள் உங்கள் பக்கல் ஒரு ஜ்ஞாந அபேக்ஷை பண்ணில் நீங்கள் ஆதரித்துச் சொல்லுங்கோள். அவர்கள் பகவத் ஜ்ஞாநத்தை உங்களுக்கு ப்ரஸாதிக்கில் கேட்டு க்ருதார்த்தர் ஆகுங்கோள். ஜாதி நிபந்த்தநமான ஸம்பந்தம் போலேயாதல், குண நிபந்தனமான ஸம்பந்தம் போலேயாதல் நீர்மேல் எழுத்தான ஸம்பந்தம் அன்றிறே, இவர்களோடு பண்ணும் ஸம்பந்தம் இது யாவதாத்ம பாவியான சம்பந்தமிறே.

என்று நின்னோடும் ஒக்க: இப்பாசுரம் பலப்ரதரான தேவரீரே அருளிச்செய்த பின்பு இதிலொரு ஸம்சயம் உண்டோ? எனக்குமேல் பூஜ்யர் இல்லாமையாலே என்மாத்ரமாகிலும் அவர்களை ஆராதித்து நல்வழி போங்கோள்.

The commentary goes on for a little more, if desired I can type that up also, but we are not missing anything important. In the end there is a relevant passage, which the publishers say is not found in some copies -- சில ஸ்ரீகோசங்களில் இல்லை. This goes even further, commanding even those Brahmins chanting 4 vedas and trace blemishless lineage all the way to Brhmma himself, to give and take Sri Pada Theertam, like accepting the left-over food mentioned in the previous pasuram.

கொடுமின் கொள்மின்: என்று ஸ்ரீபாத தீர்த்த வைபவ பரமாகவுமாம். கீழே "போனகம் செய்தசேடம்" என்று ப்ரஸாத வைபவம் சொல்லிற்றாய், இது தீர்த்த வைபவம் சொல்லுகிறது. தீர்த்தம் கொண்மின், கொடுங்கோள்.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back