• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Arts...Exit to Tamil Brahmins..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snow white had many colors on her face.
White as snow, black hair and red lips.
Ganesh has fair skin, black hair and green chin-
something unusual in South Indians!!!

Dear VR ji,

I studied in India and I saw many South guys who are fair skinned and light eyed too and many North guys who were dark/tan skinned too.

South/North guys come with many shades of skin color and also various types of looks.

Dear VR ji,

I studied in India and I saw many South guys who are fair skinned and light eyed too and many North guys who were dark/tan skinned too.

South/North guys come with many shades of skin color and also various types of looks.

Do we have to thank the days of the British Raj for such mix ups??? :)

I have seen a few people with light colored eyes and they are always refered to as

Poonaik kannu PoNNu / Paiyan or cat-eyed girl / boy! :)

Dear VR ji,

Even the Devil calls people "My child" to confuse them becos he wants to make them the Spawn of the Devil!

Yes! The term "My child!" can be bewitching

and mesmerizing if spoken correctly!

And the person addressed will throw caution to the wind

when addressed with so much of affected affection! :drama:

The heydays of Brahmins in Tamil Film Industry is over. We have to learn to live with that.

Do we have to thank the days of the British Raj for such mix ups??? :)

I have seen a few people with light colored eyes and they are always refered to as

Poonaik kannu PoNNu / Paiyan or cat-eyed girl / boy! :)

Dear VR ji,

I don't think its a British cause for light eyes..I have seen green eyes is fairly common in Karnataka and Blue eyes are not common in South.

Blue is seen in North of India in some communities.

I feel there is some genetic variations among the different types of Indians in India.

Green eyes are not uncommon among the Chitpavan Brahmins of Maharashtra. Many of them are extremely fair. They are in the lead for Gansh Chaturthi Pujas in Mumbai. Extreme fairness runs in some Tamil Brahmin families. Some of them also have the yellowish tinge of the East Asians.

This is my personal experience.

The heydays of Brahmins in Tamil Film Industry is over. We have to learn to live with that.

What Im trying to figure out is the reasons/cause behind this fall. Atleast in this case, no one can blame it on RESERVATION.

Why learn to live with it.. Why not work out to bring back the glory.

To bring you back into the thread after the OP...
has taken 36 posts and 2 days!!! :)

So to bring back the lost and past glory....
what all will it take??? :rolleyes:

What Im trying to figure out is the reasons/cause behind this fall. Atleast in this case, no one can blame it on RESERVATION.

Why learn to live with it.. Why not work out to bring back the glory.

Dear Sir,

Film industry is no easy industry and one needs to be able to withstand lots of pressure and competition.

Furthermore success is not always seen and some have to wait for years for their stars to shine.

Also we hear some rumors about how some directors ask favor from heroines..(don't know how far it is true).

So I don't think many people actually think of cinema as a lucrative field these days.

For a girl..winning a Miss India title is a sure shot to cine industry.
After all Meenakshi Seshadiri was a Miss India before she entered cine industry.

Even the 1st wife of Kamal Hassan..Vani was a Miss India who came in 1st and Zeenat Aman only came in second in the pagent.
Zeenat went on to win Miss Asia Pacific and rest is history.

I have no idea if Vani represented India in Miss Universe/World pageant or not.
Anyway she even beat Zeenat Aman in the Miss India pagent.

So may be TB girls can reclaim some Miss India crowns.

Girls who want to join the industry should carve a name in beauty pageants to win a better place in cine industry.

For guys these days..there are 2 types:

1)Good looking..six packed heroes who can act too

2) Those who have never seen a razor blade in their lives!(unshaven and unkempt)

Believe me many of us woman would like to look like a model/actress but not many of us would like to be a model or actress.
Life is not easy in these fields.

Last edited:

Dear Renu,

I saw this thread after S S Sir gave the link and asked me to go through! You have forgotten a

baby faced T B actor in your list! Guess who? Bharath! He is Ram's friend's son. :)

bharath.jpg

Photo courtesy: Nilacharal.com

In early 70s, I have seen an outstanding performance of Bharathanatyam by Ms. Vani Ganapathy and Ms. Meera Ganapathy,

at Tamil Isai Sangam, Pollachi. Their dance for the song 'Bhavayami' is still fresh in my memory! :thumb:

1. We all know how shabbily GNB was treated? How Papanasam Sivan was treated?

2. Another excellent way of keeping out non-Brahmins was the over due emphasis on Guru Sishya Parampara. Guru Parampara matters more than Performance. That is how they treated T.R. Mahalingam, S. Balachandar and other genius. How can I forget that they sent the director of All India Radio to the Edinburg Music festival for playing Veena and not S. Balachandar.

3. And make Carnatic Music a telugu music. I have heard so many Carnatic musicians talk disparagingly about Tamil compositions. Keep out Tamil so that you keep out Tamil non-brahmins.

4. Make Carnatic music a purely religious music. Why should it be so. In what way Manmatha Leelai sung by the great MKT in the raga Charukesi inferior? .....
Dear S S Sir,

I have gone though your post now and let me try to clarify a few points.

1. This is an old story! Now, Sri. Papanasam Sivan is referred to as 'Tamizh ThyAgayyA' and many of his and Sri. G N B's

compositions in Tamil are regular features in all the concerts.

2. Guru - Shishya paramparA is slowly vanishing. All youngsters are ready to learn from two or more Gurus. Now 'skype

classes' are the fashion of the day!

3. Songs in Tamil, Kannada, Hindi, Marati, Malayalam are all added in concerts. It is not purely Telugu! Even the Telugu

speaking singers learn Tamil songs and render them with a good accent.

4. Please Sir! Let the chaste Carnatic music be religious. The Carnatic rAgams are appearing, either in a good form or a

mutilated form, in film music! The violent scenes shown in the movies and the songs appearing there are already spoiling

the society. At least if the aim o
f Carnatic music to reach the Almighty, its purity will be preserved. Let not ChArukEsi enter

the Carnatic concert stage with 'Manmadha Leelai'! :dizzy: (I wish to mention about a Telugu speaking student, who refused

to learn VarNams because they have 'viraha bhAvam'!)

FYI, this year's hits in music season are these songs: 1. 'Vazhi maRaiththirukkudhu' from NandhanAr chariththiram, in the

rAgam Nattakurinji. 2. One of the two Tamil songs composed by Sri. Shyama Sasthri, (viz) 'ennEramum undhan nAmam'

set to rAgam PoorvikalyANi. :thumb:

Last edited:

One of the points mentioned in the movie
'Sindhu Bhairavi'
was to include Tamil songs in Carnatic music concerts!
Someone commented that this point should have come at least a decade ago! Sri. K B has told it very late!!
:clock:

I wish to share an interesting anecdote! We were discussing about this song 'pAdaRiyE(n) padippaRiyE(n)' to our Guru

Sri. Dr. S. Ramanathan. We asked him how can the specific prayOgam of 'ThOdi' rAgam appear in this song? - the akAram

that comes after 'sonnadhu thappA thappA' - he told us with his usual smile that the answer is in the first line of the song!

We can not expect that 'padippaRiyE(n)'
lady to sing pure SAramathi rAgam!! :cool:

Your post is not a clarification. Old stories show the attitude and are facts which can not be denied. Things have changed may be. But it does not erase the indignities heaped on Papanasam Sivan, GNB, T.R. Mahalingam and others by the Tamil Brahmins who ruled over the carnatic music world.

Just for my information please list out the Tamil non-Brahmins who are prominent in today's Carnatic Music world.

How come Carnatic Music has never achieved the popularity of Hindustani music? There are a number of South Indians who have become famous in Hindusthani Music like Dr. N. Rajam.

Oh. I can go on. I do not want to because it does not benefit any one.

Sorry. Sir.

I am talking about the Katcheri scene in Chennai. That is what matters. Especially Music academy and Narada Gana Sabha.

There were times not more than two decades ago, every AIR Tamil news reader spelled it this way '' Sheithighal Vaashhippathu, instead of Seithigal Vasippathu...Thats close to extinct, due to reservation... Talented, why the private channels are not encouraging that accent any more.

Same was the case with movie industry in the black and white era.. why no one is using the TB accent in movies, except that being used for mocking, like a Nair Kadai Tea shop..

i cant buy the statement, that movie industry in not a lucrative one for Brahmins...சீ சீ , இந்த பழம் புளிக்கும்

Now no attention is being paid to ANY accent - forget the brahmin accent.

வால்வும் வயலும், செய்திகல், வனக்கம், மக்கல் நல வால்வுத் திட்டம்

என்று படித்தால் தான் செய்தி வாசிக்க வாய்ப்பு கிடைக்கும். :frusty:

When even the agmark Tamil brahmin do not speak with brahmin accent -

(myself included) - how can we expect everyone to talk in brahmin accent

in a movie watched by a majority which will be non-brahmin.:confused:

"நேக்கு நோக்கு" என்று பேசினால் எனக்கே சிரிப்பு வருகிறது. :pound:

ill be non-brahmin.:confused:

I like that.. simply, jimply

When even the agmark Tamil brahmin do not speak with brahmin accent -

(myself included) - how can we expect everyone to talk in brahmin accent

in a movie watched by a majority which will be non-brahmin.:confused:

But then , the attitude here is.. look, im wrong, you are also wrong.. fortunately, you succeeded in the media..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back