• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Arts...Exit to Tamil Brahmins..

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ShivKC

Premise... No Reservations here..

In Spite, Tamil Brahmins are are not to be seen except in Margali season in chennai. Don't comfort me by saying, they all opted greener pastures to Dilli & U.S.

Which IT Er/CEO/NRI wants to be on par with Rajnikanth in terms of fame and fortune? Why no Oscars for a TB?

There were times, the times before 1960, every accent in the movie dialogue or the recorded song threw a TB accent? How it vanished in the next 2 decades, and TB's are put in to a mocking situation

Jews conquered Hollywood where as TB took an exodus? Why..

Please note, there is no Reservation here.. No emotional strings attached.. Think Tanks are welcome here to have a discussion.

When I see a movie or hear a song..all I enjoy is the movie and the song.

I will admire the acting and the voice of the singer.

Never crossed my mind to think about the community/caste of the artist.

Art is one field where stars shine.

The brightest star rules for a while and shines high up in the sky.

Some lose their lustre after a while..some remain forever in the Hrdaya Akasha of their fans and some become a constellation for the rest of the world.

Art has no caste,creed,religion or race.

Let's not always play the divide game and let's learn to appreciate art for arts sake.

A R Rahman has won an Oscar for India in the field of music.

That should make all Indians happy and motivated to do better in the field of music.

No one saw A R Rahman as a Muslim..everyone saw an Indian win the Oscar.

Last edited:
Talking about Margazhi season, how many non-Brahmins do you see performing in the Carnatic season? How many non-Brahmins are there in the entire Carnatic music field? They were in the Nagaswaram and Thavil fields. Now these are not popular. Why? You could write a lot about how the Brahmin lobby which controlled/controls the Carnatic music field has kept away non-Brahmins. Not only non-brahmins, but also Brahmins who belonged to the wrong region, or who sang Tamil songs etc. etc. We all know how shabbily GNB was treated? How Papanasam Sivan was treated?

Another excellent way of keeping out non-Brahmins was the over due emphasis on Guru Sishya Parampara. Guru Parampara matters more than Performance. That is how they treated T.R. Mahalingam, S. Balachandar and other genius. How can I forget that they sent the director of All India Radio to the Edinburg Music festival for playing Veena and not S. Balachandar.

And make Carnatic Music a telugu music. I have heard so many Carnatic musicians talk disparagingly about Tamil compositions. Keep out Tamil so that you keep out Tamil non-brahmins.

Make Carnatic music a purely religious music. Why should it be so. In what way Manmatha Leelai sung by the great MKT in the raga Charukesi inferior?

You talk about Arts and that includes Music.

Similar lobbies/pressure groups exist in the Cinema field.

S.S. Vasan was responsible for inducting many Brahmin artists in the cinema field. There has been none like him later. If Brahmins could keep out the non-Brahmins from the Carnatic Music field, why can not the others keep out Brahmins from the Cinema field? They did and continue doing so. The few Brahmins who are in the Film world would not like to be identified with the community. Some of them have gone to the ridiculous extent of even emphasizing their non-Brahaminism. They believe that that is the only way to survive.

Non-Brahmins are very reluctant to take to Caranatic music because of the glass ceiling which excludes them. Similarly Brahmins are also reluctant to take to the film world.

What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Don't do unto others what you would not wish to be done to you.

When will the Tamil Brahmins realize this universal truth?

The actors need good physique and there most Tamil Brahmins will not qualify!
This may be a major reason why most Tam Brams can't shine in movies -
unless they are exceptionally good looking / have well developed muscles. :)

I always thought Brahmins do well in cine field as they are good looking :D. In serials i think there are more of them?! Of course nowadays at least as far as heroines are concerned majority of them are Keralites or from the north. Some directors do lament that they would like Tamil speaking heroines. There is Trisha and Janani Iyer. I don't recall anyone else immediately.

Jesudas was accepted reluctantly because of Chembai Vaidhyanatha Bagavathar's intensive promotion of him. Of course his fame as a play back singer also helped. And then money. You can buy your way in like some of the NRIs have done.

Caranatic Music is very popular in Kerala. Their film songs are mostly based on Carnatic music. But no singer makes it to the Carnatic music circuit. Unnikrishnan is Madras boy, born and brought up here and has good connections.

I remember the time when I had gone to a concert by Nithyashree. The sabha secretary was waxing eloquently about her relationship to D.K. Pattammal and Palghat Mani Iyer. I felt like getting up and telling him that we have all come because she is a good singer and not because of her grand father and grand mother.

Coming to Cinema the producers and of course the distributors call the shot. The distributors can make or break any one. Vasan was not dependent on the distributors, That is why he could have a person like Ranjan who could speak only Brahmin Atthhu Tamil a hero. You should listen to his dialogues.

Cinema is a dirty field so to say especially for heroines. None of the Tamil Brahmin girls want to become a heroine.

Now the heroes are all selected by Sons syndrome.

This syndrome makes one select only the sons of heroes, directors and producers as heroes.

In all factes of life in TN, the NBs discriminate against brahmins much more than the brahmins discriminate against NBs. The NBs, thanks to constant propaganda against brahmins by the dravidianists, feel they are justified in their discrimination against the brahmins. The brahmins, on the other hand, feel guilty even if they are at the receiving end. இப்படி தன் கையால் தன் தலையில் மண் அள்ளிப் போட்டுக் கொள்வதை தமிழ் பிராமணர்கள் நிறுத்திக் கொள்வது நலம்.

Talking about Margazhi season, how many non-Brahmins do you see performing in the Carnatic season? How many non-Brahmins are there in the entire Carnatic music field? They were in the Nagaswaram and Thavil fields. Now these are not popular. Why? You could write a lot about how the Brahmin lobby which controlled/controls the Carnatic music field has kept away non-Brahmins. Not only non-brahmins, but also Brahmins who belonged to the wrong region, or who sang Tamil songs etc. etc. We all know how shabbily GNB was treated? How Papanasam Sivan was treated?

Another excellent way of keeping out non-Brahmins was the over due emphasis on Guru Sishya Parampara. Guru Parampara matters more than Performance. That is how they treated T.R. Mahalingam, S. Balachandar and other genius. How can I forget that they sent the director of All India Radio to the Edinburg Music festival for playing Veena and not S. Balachandar.

And make Carnatic Music a telugu music. I have heard so many Carnatic musicians talk disparagingly about Tamil compositions. Keep out Tamil so that you keep out Tamil non-brahmins.

Make Carnatic music a purely religious music. Why should it be so. In what way Manmatha Leelai sung by the great MKT in the raga Charukesi inferior?

You talk about Arts and that includes Music.

Similar lobbies/pressure groups exist in the Cinema field.

S.S. Vasan was responsible for inducting many Brahmin artists in the cinema field. There has been none like him later. If Brahmins could keep out the non-Brahmins from the Carnatic Music field, why can not the others keep out Brahmins from the Cinema field? They did and continue doing so. The few Brahmins who are in the Film world would not like to be identified with the community. Some of them have gone to the ridiculous extent of even emphasizing their non-Brahaminism. They believe that that is the only way to survive.

Non-Brahmins are very reluctant to take to Caranatic music because of the glass ceiling which excludes them. Similarly Brahmins are also reluctant to take to the film world.

What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Don't do unto others what you would not wish to be done to you.

When will the Tamil Brahmins realize this universal truth?

Sane voice, Sharmah ji!

Art field is something in which the public has to appreciate and approve the artist. In the nascent stage of Tamil Cinema, it was the Brahmins (Tabras) whose lifestyle, language and so on commanded approval from the audience; even NB characters like potter, farmer, barber etc. spoke Tabra style to the extent possible. Exceptions like NSK were there then too.

70 years of freedom has enlarged the NB audience and their participation in all facets of cinema increased and they started calling the shots. We should not forget that MGR, M.N. Nambiar, Rajnikant etc., are not Tamils and yet they shone in the Tamil Cinema firmament for long.

The OP reminds me of an adage used in Tabra households: "...மாலக்ஷ்மி, இருநாழி அரிசி நேவித்தியம்!"

I feel TB's are in every nook and corner of the cinema industry:

Present day TBs in cinema:

1)The Great Kamal Hassan
2)Prasanna
3)Sampath Kumar(Who ever said TBs dont have good physique..should check the height and built of Sampath Kumar)
4)Ganesh Venkatraman(Drop Dead Good Looking)
5)Trisha Krishnan
6)Priyamani
7)Vidya Balan
8)Shruti Hassan
9)Ramya Krishnan
10)Ajit Kumar
11)R Madhavan

So why is anyone even complaining that TBs are not in the film industry?

Up in the North we have Vidya Balan doing well and we also Vivek Oberoi(Mother is a TB) doing well off late.

So be happy..TBs are doing well.

I feel TB's are in every nook and corner of the cinema industry:

Present day TBs in cinema:

1)The Great Kamal Hassan
2)Prasanna
3)Sampath Kumar(Who ever said TBs dont have good physique..should check the height and built of Sampath Kumar)
4)Ganesh Venkatraman(Drop Dead Good Looking)
5)Trisha Krishnan
6)Priyamani
7)Vidya Balan
8)Shruti Hassan
9)Ramya Krishnan
10)Ajit Kumar
11)R Madhavan

So why is anyone even complaining that TBs are not in the film industry?

Up in the North we have Vidya Balan doing well and we also Vivek Oberoi(Mother is a TB) doing well off late.

So be happy..TBs are doing well.

Hi Renuka,

What happened to not looking at the caste of the artist?

The success of these artistes should be looked as successes of individuals only - not that of the caste, some might say!

BTW, who are Sampath kumar and Ganesh Venkataraman? Which movies are they involved in?

கால பைரவன்;171286 said:
Hi Renuka,

The success of these artistes should be looked as successes of individuals only - not that of the caste, some might say!

BTW, who are Sampath kumar and Ganesh Venkataraman? Which movies are they involved in?

I too have never heard of these two names and also of Prasanna.

May be I am not update in film world.

But my statement is proved to hold good if these people have excellent physique and are drop-dead good looking and talented.

So they have come up and shine IN SPITE OF their caste and not BECAUSE of their caste! Right Renu??

I haven't heard of Sampath Kumar but sure am gonna check it out. Ganesh Venkatraman is a model turned cine actor tb from Mumbai. He played Trisha's Sikh boyfriend in the movie Abhiyum Naanum.

கால பைரவன்;171286 said:
Hi Renuka,

Dear Sir,

I do read my dear..every film magazine out here never fails to mention who are TB Cine stars.
So that falls under general knowledge.

Prasanna I only knew he is a TB when he married Sneha and her pics were all over the magazines here clad in TB style saree.

Only then I was what?? He is a TB?

Ok next Siddhart Narayan..I got to know he is TB when one magazine carried some news that despite being married he was supposedly romancing a muslim babe who is the sister of a very famous Khan up north..the news was mentioning that will he a TB marry a muslim?

I am a sucker for film magazines..in fact it took me sometime to even know that Vikrams real name is John Kennedy and I was what?? He is a Christian?

Cos only after Vikram became famous..magazines here mentioned he is a Christian by religion.

Then magazines here also carried pics of Trisha Krishnan saying she is a Palghat Iyer and showed her pics of her during school days and her original hair is very curly and not silky straight like in movies.

Out here movie magazines go kind of detail.

So general knowledge my child..general knowledge my child.

But on a personal basis I do not really care which star is what caste as long they look good on screen.

I do not really care much if heroines can't act but they should be pretty to be eye candy.

Prasanna and Sneha marriage pics:

Actor-Prasanna-Actress-Sneha-Marriage-Photos-19.jpg

Last edited:
I too have never heard of these two names and also of Prasanna.

May be I am not update in film world.

But my statement is proved to hold good if these people have excellent physique and are drop-dead good looking and talented.

So they have come up and shine IN SPITE OF their caste and not BECAUSE of their caste! Right Renu??

Dear VR ji,

Sampath Kumar does villain roles most of the while but in the Tamil Movie Goa he played a role of a gay man and he acted really well.

He is a very good actor.

Ganesh Venkatraman is a model from Mumbai and has acted with Kamal in the remake of the Hindi movie "A Wednesday" Unnaipol Oruvan as a police officer.

He is tall and good looking and acts well too.

BTW both of these guys have come up becos of their talent and Ganesh has talents and good looks (lucky guy)

Ok now Sampath Kumar:

From Wikipedia
Sampath Raj (Sampath Raj Kumar) is an Indian film actor who works primarily in the Tamil film industry. He is best known for appearing in each film of director Venkat Prabhu's comedy trilogy, consisting of Chennai 600028, Saroja[SUP][1][/SUP] and Goa. He has also acted in supporting roles in various other films. He is mostly known in negative roles. He is an M.A in Political Science.He was born in the 'nawabi' city of Lucknow,UP.He spent most of his early life in Bangalore. He is a Brahmin native of Sri Rangam currently living in Chennai.

Sampath Kumar

kkfrtWaifha.jpg

Ganesh Venkatraman

ganesh-venkatraman-inagurates-pn-rao-store-launch-stills-bf344d23.jpg

Last edited:
Dear Renu!

Everybody is ignorant in some field.

So cine field is my field of total ignorance!

Hats off to you since we are yet to find out :yo:

a single field in which you MAY BE ignorant!

கால பைரவன்;171386 said:
Only in Doc's post can one see a person addressed both as "Sir" and "Child" :)

Only Saints call the others as a Child! :)

Remember the famous "Kuzhanthaai!"

uttered by every rushi and muni! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back