• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Archanai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Vijisesh sir,

Thanks a lot. Now I would like to lend the word from Mr. Soundarrajan sir

Namassadhase

It is certainly not a "mudiyor kalivi". If teacher asks the student, what is 2+2, does it means that the teacher doesn't know the answer. Am like the student. I know everyone in this forum are such a knowledgable persons. Anyhow, I will share whatever I know in this regard.

Pradeepa jvalapir divasakara neerajana vidhi:
sudhasudhes chandro pala jalala vairargya rasana
swageeyair ambobir salila nidhi souhitya karanam
thvatheeyabis vakbis thava janani vaacham sthuthiriyum

I purposefully mention this soundarya lahari last sloka. Because, before starting something as a response to your post, I wish to say my position. I request all the forum members to check my posts and if there is a bit of deviation from the sastras and other things, just post that also. Iam here to share only. A learner can never teach.

Vijisesh ji

Vinayagar (or ganesha) is the god, who is considered to be the god for solving all the problems (Vignams). Hence, the name Vigneswara. For performing a good deed, there will be lot of disturbances. To avoid them, vigneswara is worshipped initially. I ish to explain this in other way round. While performing a good thing towards eternal (Say "a archana"), the good part of our mind induces us to do as early as possible. At the same time, the worst part of our mind dictates us, "Ok, let us sleep now. will do pooja at evening, at evening it says, the program in TV is nice, will do the pooja tomorrow. Like this we will be having hell a lot of deviations. Once started, all these deviations get diminished and for that, vinayagar is worshipped initially. Also, vinayagr is the first biotechnological god. (he is the combo of deva+demon+human+animal forms). The idol of vinayga teaches us many many things. For example, his ears teach us that we should wide open our ears to hear and should not talk too much. instead hear many a lot of good things.

For each and every god, you need some form to worship. Either an idol or a picture, or photo (some form is required). But, as you all know there is no need of a form for vinayagar. You can make him with turmeric, sandal, sand, or even cowdung. He can be easily seen by us in any forms.

His moolamanthra is "gam". it is very similar to english "come" asking him to come here.

Also, the power of vinayagar cannot be comparable with anyother gods. It is very natural too. When, a powerful father and powerful mother unites what will be the net result???. So the amazing powers of this lord cannot be explained thro simple words.

The shape of vinayaga is similar to the "Ohm", which is the starting of vedas. There are many many reasons like this to say the dignity of vinayaga.

The major cause to worship him before starting anything, is to remove obstacles in that work. Doing archana is also a work, which is very important step in saguna upasana (idol worship), so to avoid any sorts of obstacle, vinayaga should be worshipped first.

Iam waiting till tomorrow to get anyother views regarding vinayagar pooja.

PRANAMS

Dont think too much of performing pooja. performing pooja is very very simple. Let I brief that.
Essentials to perform a pooja:
1. some idol (or photo or picture or simply a "vilakku") (Archana is meant for saguna worship only. In the later stages of dhyana, we can omit archana and solubilise yourself in dhyna (nirguna upasana))
2. Flowers or kumkum (in case of ambal)
3. A panchapatram
4. Dhoopa, deepa, bell, naivedya
5. A mat to sit
6. A book to see the namavali
It would be better if there is a book, it will control your eyes. If you knew the namas, then just focus your eyes on the idol.
burn some instant sticks (to control your nose)
Tell the namas bit louder (to control your mouth and ears)

Donts in archana:

1. take a fresh bath before performing pooja. this will relax your body almost.
2. Clean the place and if possible draw a kolam where the idol of worship is to be placed ( this makes relaxation to ur mind)
3. prepare well all the necessary things before itself to perform an archana
4. Kindly avoid sort of situations like (sumukaya namaha (pathiratha alambi vechiya), ekathandaya namaha (vasalla yaru vandurukkanu paru), kapilaya namaha (phone mani adikkaradu parungo))
5. Please just try to concentrate fully on the archana till it get finished
6. Dont mind about external atmosphere.
7. Switch off the fans if possible (the blow will switch off the divine lamp, also it may cause the flowers to die-off soon, also sweating is good for our health). (at the sametime, dont perform poojas with sweating conditions, just wipe them with your angavasthra or small towel).
8. Dont get up at any cost while performing pooja. Calculate the quantity of flowers that you need accordingly before itself (You need a small sum of flowers if going to perform an ashtothram, needs in bulks if it is sahasranama). You will be knowing the same with experience.
9. Dont throw the flowers towards the god. Just offer them in his feets. Might be while throwing, because of the wind created, divine lamp will get switched off.
10. Dont feel anything bad, if divine lamp switched off, or the photo fell down due to your heavy weight garland. Dont consider this and all as sagunams. Perform poojas regularly
11. Dont perform archana under compulsion. (Aiyyaiiio inniku vellikizhamayache pooja pananume, seekiram kulikanume, thalaiku snanam pannanume...Avoid these kinds of thoughts)
12. Dont get tensed or nervous while performing archana. If the words are tough, just relax and study slowly. He (god) can wait till you complete.
13. Dont run fast with namas.

I think the readers gotta clear picture...:blabla:

Pranams

What a micro level observations & suggestions!!!. Very aptly set out . We owe a lot to Durgadasanji for the tips provided. That would have been still finer if வஸ்த்ரம் specs and நெத்திக்கு இட்டுக்றது like sampradhayams are also covered. Sorry Durgadasanji If I am interfering into your speciality zone.

Last edited:
I expect a lot of suggestions sundaram uncle. This forum is to share only. Let we all share our knowledge and gain lot. Really, I forget about them. Thanks for the reminder. Will include them also. Iam sure i can miss many things. So I request everyone to read this and suggest me the right things that I left out. Sundaram uncle, don't consider this as interference. In our life, nothing is there as interference, everything comes to refine us... Expecting a lot of suggestions to improve this thread from persons like you so that the final output will cover almost everything.

Pranams

Dear all,

As sundaram uncle mentioned, I forget to say about dress code and signing in foreheads. Let we share that also.

1. Having a bath before archana is always good. But don't be so strict. It depends on your heath condition and water availability situation (if not simply sprinkle some water on your head (Apohishta mayobhuva:...)). Thats enough. God knows about you.

2. Doing snanam is also good. But dry your hair completely and then start archana orelse that will be troubling you by water oozing out from head, sweating and all. Comb well and tie your hairlocks (Ladies). There will be divine lamp, dhoops and other things. You should be careful also here. This is not the place to show your loose hair beauty I think.

3. Wear madi dress. Dont get much afraid of madi. Madi is nothing, but already washed dried and kept separated. Thats all. IF not its madi, then dont worry. Just wear, because the mind should be pure. To create that, initially we are making the whole external atmosphere clean. So only madi concept came. If not also, dont give up. The aim is important.

4. Wear dhoti (gents) and sarees (ladies). You may argue with me why not with pants or shirts and all. If explanations needed, I will provide them in separate.

5. Some people may wear wet clothes in the name of overpurity (Ammadi??). This should be strictly avoided. Wearing wet clothes is banned by sastras. Also, if you sit with wet clothes, you will end up with itches and also fungus in your thighs and all over your body. Our sastras are all medical only.

6. Then comes "Nethikku ituukaradu" Signing in forehead. I could not get proper terminology for this and hence, saying like this. Already brahma has written something in our forehead, to erase that we are getting god's signature in our forehead in form of either vibhudi or thiruman.

7. After doing snanam, the water will directly enter your body and make you wet. sometimes ending with fever. To avoid this, Vibudhi is applied all over in the forehead, which will absorb the body water and keeps us warm. So that, we can do our pooja without any physical disturbance. Wearing thiruman is also like that, Thiruman (Namakatti) also possess great medical powers and having that in your forehead is also for this. (I said this in medical point of view). Anyhow, wear the sign according to your culture.

8. Dont take much of vibudhi and make it to fell all over the place. Also, use three fingers to create the "pattai" in your head. There is no need to adjust that with your poonal or finger. This is not a beauty parade nor anyone going to see you except god.

9. While wearing these holy signs, says some namas of god. This is just to create an alertness within us prior to pooja. If you are planning for a jolly trip, how the children in your home react. They calculate the days, they have their own preparations, they will be taking some other items of their importance, they will be talking with everyone with that alone... Similarly before performing the archanai, we should also be like that children. The mind should think of only the pooja and hence, blend the namas with all your works prior to a pooja.

10. After doing snanam, completely drying your hair, wearing dried Madi vasthra, wearing divine signs in forehead do your nithyakarmas properly. I mean sandhyavandanam. If you makes your mother to cry, and then going to a Home for elders and giving relief to the elders there, will it be of any use???
If you did not have a look and offer naivedya to the gods in the home, and going to a temple for darshan, will it be of any use???
Similarly, without doing our nithyakarmas none of the things which we pursue for the sake of eternity, will be of no use...

Dont confuse yourself. Nithyakarma is not a pooja. It is your duty. You must perform that. Pooja is certainly not like that. When you want to go US, you need a VISA. Similarly, before to perform pooja, you need the yogyada to perform that, so finishing nithya karma is essential. This is for gents only.

Ladies may ask whether they dont have any such... Doing household jobs itself is a nithyakarma for them. Doing that with divine thoghts is enough. For them simple snanam makes them total pure.

Pranams

Dear all,

As sundaram uncle mentioned, I forget to say about dress code and signing in foreheads. Let we share that also.

1. Having a bath before archana is always good. But don't be so strict. It depends on your heath condition and water availability situation (if not simply sprinkle some water on your head (Apohishta mayobhuva:...)). Thats enough. God knows about you.

2. Doing snanam is also good. But dry your hair completely and then start archana orelse that will be troubling you by water oozing out from head, sweating and all. Comb well and tie your hairlocks (Ladies). There will be divine lamp, dhoops and other things. You should be careful also here. This is not the place to show your loose hair beauty I think.

3. Wear madi dress. Dont get much afraid of madi. Madi is nothing, but already washed dried and kept separated. Thats all. IF not its madi, then dont worry. Just wear, because the mind should be pure. To create that, initially we are making the whole external atmosphere clean. So only madi concept came. If not also, dont give up. The aim is important.

4. Wear dhoti (gents) and sarees (ladies). You may argue with me why not with pants or shirts and all. If explanations needed, I will provide them in separate.

5. Some people may wear wet clothes in the name of overpurity (Ammadi??). This should be strictly avoided. Wearing wet clothes is banned by sastras. Also, if you sit with wet clothes, you will end up with itches and also fungus in your thighs and all over your body. Our sastras are all medical only.

6. Then comes "Nethikku ituukaradu" Signing in forehead. I could not get proper terminology for this and hence, saying like this. Already brahma has written something in our forehead, to erase that we are getting god's signature in our forehead in form of either vibhudi or thiruman.

7. After doing snanam, the water will directly enter your body and make you wet. sometimes ending with fever. To avoid this, Vibudhi is applied all over in the forehead, which will absorb the body water and keeps us warm. So that, we can do our pooja without any physical disturbance. Wearing thiruman is also like that, Thiruman (Namakatti) also possess great medical powers and having that in your forehead is also for this. (I said this in medical point of view). Anyhow, wear the sign according to your culture.

8. Dont take much of vibudhi and make it to fell all over the place. Also, use three fingers to create the "pattai" in your head. There is no need to adjust that with your poonal or finger. This is not a beauty parade nor anyone going to see you except god.

9. While wearing these holy signs, says some namas of god. This is just to create an alertness within us prior to pooja. If you are planning for a jolly trip, how the children in your home react. They calculate the days, they have their own preparations, they will be taking some other items of their importance, they will be talking with everyone with that alone... Similarly before performing the archanai, we should also be like that children. The mind should think of only the pooja and hence, blend the namas with all your works prior to a pooja.

10. After doing snanam, completely drying your hair, wearing dried Madi vasthra, wearing divine signs in forehead do your nithyakarmas properly. I mean sandhyavandanam. If you makes your mother to cry, and then going to a Home for elders and giving relief to the elders there, will it be of any use???
If you did not have a look and offer naivedya to the gods in the home, and going to a temple for darshan, will it be of any use???
Similarly, without doing our nithyakarmas none of the things which we pursue for the sake of eternity, will be of no use...

Dont confuse yourself. Nithyakarma is not a pooja. It is your duty. You must perform that. Pooja is certainly not like that. When you want to go US, you need a VISA. Similarly, before to perform pooja, you need the yogyada to perform that, so finishing nithya karma is essential. This is for gents only.

Ladies may ask whether they dont have any such... Doing household jobs itself is a nithyakarma for them. Doing that with divine thoghts is enough. For them simple snanam makes them total pure.

Pranams
Durga Sir,
Thanks for elaborating on my two points. Lots of informations.
Going further, can you also specifics about [1] netthikku ittukaradhu: whether vibhooti is to be smeared in water and applied or raw vibhoothi as such and [2] about vasthram: In case of married male do they to wear panchakacham or otherwise and if done by his counterpart madisar or normal wearing>> which pattern is suggested? Thank you.

The application of Holy Ash

The Holy Ash, that decorates the bodies of Lord shiva and shaivites, is very sacred and there are prescriptions on how it needs to be adored and adorned. Here are few of those. The two ways of getting adorned with holy ash are tripuNDram, uddUlanam. The first is applying the holy ash in the form of three distinct bands and the second is sprinkling it on the part of the body. Way 1

One simple way would be to chant thirun^IRRuppadhikam (1) while taking the Holy ash and while getting adorned with that chant the aghora pa~nchAxaram (The aghora Holy Five Letters) which is shivAya namaH. Way 2

With clean hands take the Holy Ash chanting the sadyojAdAdi mantras and the mA no mahantam mantra from shrI rudram. Way 3

Those who perform rituals, perform shiva pUja should first take the holy ash without adding water and sprinkle on their head, forehead, chest and two shoulders. Later using the right hand index, middle and the ring finger take the holy ash, keep in the left hand, close it with right hand and chant these mantras pa~nchakalA mantram

om nivR^iti kalAyai namaHom pratiShTA kalAyai namaHom vidyA kalAyai namaHom shAnti kalAyai namaHom shAntyatIta kalAyai namaHpa~nchabrahma mantram

om IshAnAya namaH om tatpuruShAya namaHom aghorAya namaHom vAmadevAya namaHom sadyojAdAya namaHShDha~Nga mantram

om hR^idayAya namaHom shirashe namaHom shikAyai namaHom kavachAya namaHom netrAya namaHom astrAya namaH
Then saying hR^idayAya namaH, add water and saying kavachAya vauShaT, mix it. Chant the first four of the above said pa~nchabrahma mantram and apply (with the three fingers of the right hand mentioned above - index, middle and ring fingers) the holy ash paste on the first four places of the body. (See below for the list of places where to apply holy ash). Chant the fifth mantram when applying at the other parts of the body. While applying face up, so that the holy ash does not spill down on the ground. If by mistake the holy ash spills on the ground, clean that area with water. The places to apply the holy ash on the body

vibhUti can be worn either in 32 places or 16 places or 8 places or five places. 32 Places

HeadForeheadTwo earsTwo eyesNoseMouthNeckTwo shouldersTwo elbowsTwo wristsChestTwo ribsNavelTwo sides of groinButtocksTwo UrUsTwo thighsTwo kneesTwo anklesTwo feet Total 32 Places16 Places

HeadForehead2 earsNeck2 Shoulders2 Elbows2 WristsChestNavel2 RibsBackTotal 16 places8 Places

HeadForehead2 ears2 ShouldersChestNavelTotal 8 places5 Places

Forehead2 ShouldersChestNavelTotal 5 places
One of the ways of taking bath as prescribed by vedas is known as Agneyam. It is defined as Agneyam bhasmasnAnam. That is Agneyam bath is nothing but bathing in the holy ash.
The holy ash has very good medicinal value. This could prevent/cure 81 diseases that are out of air (vAta), and 64 of diseases caused by bile(pittam), and 215 of phlegm (kapham). The Holy Ash is the most ancient symbol. It is hailed in the vedas along with rudrAxam(2). Even the devotees of Lord viShNu used to wear this originally (kariyamEni michai veLiya n^IRu chiRidhEyidum periya kOlath thadaN^kaNNan, n^IRu chevvE idakkANil n^edumAladiyAr enROdum - divya prabhan^dham). The following scriptures talk about the glory of the Holy Ash.

Pranams

Regarding dress:

It will be well, if the married man and woman wears Panchakacham and Madisar, it will be a very good thing. But, what I wish to suggest is atleast wear a dhoti. Because, if we insists something, might be the purpose itself will get unsolved. Anyhow, wearing panchakacham and madisar will certianly keeps up our tradition. Also, wearing madisar is a big task for today ladies. They feel bit uncomfortable with that. Gents are also like that with panchakacham. So, feel free while doing pooja. Make the atmosphere each and everything favourable to you and feel free. Then only you can fully concentrate over that.

Pranams

Dear all

Before performing the archana, litting the divine lamp is an important thing. Let I share something related to that today

1. Dont wash the lamp at the time of starting pooja. The wetness and moisture still remains there and won't allow the lamp to light in a proper way.

2. Dont make the thread (thiri) too large, just make it in appropriate size to fit in the lamp.

3. Take a lamp with deep space inside, so that it can contain a huge amount of oil at a time. There won't be any disturbance because of this in between to refill the lamp can be avoided.

4. For small pooja, a single face lamp is enough. Because, maintaining 5-faced lamp sometimes cause issues. Also, care should be taken in all the faces while lighting and also maintained till the copletion of pooja.

5. Dont put the thread at the time of pooja inside the lamp. It wont get lighted as easily. Make the thread wet with oil already so that it will catch fire easily. If forget, just scratch some camphor powder over the thread so that it can catch the light soon.

6. Always keep a dry waste cloth near the divine lamp, because the spill of oil may turn the whole place worst.

7. Use gingelly oil or ghee as source.

8. There are a lot of things which can be used as thread-wicks. (cottonwicks, Lotus stem wicks, also many other things are now available). Traditionally use cotton wicks.

9. Never allow the lamp to glow in high flame. It should be like a drop over the thread.
"Muthu pola vilaketri" (like a pearl, it should glow).

10. While lighting the lamp, think of mahalakshmi, shiva-parvathi, and deepam itself as sakthi. Chant some slokas or namas atleast. Main thing is consider lamp as a girl, offer kumkum immediately after lighting it. Then, provide milk before you cool that. Cooling the lamp, should be done with flower or finger dipped with milk. Never cool the divine lamp by blowing air from mouth.

Pranams

Dear all

Before performing the archana, litting the divine lamp is an important thing. Let I share something related to that today

1. Dont wash the lamp at the time of starting pooja. The wetness and moisture still remains there and won't allow the lamp to light in a proper way.

2. Dont make the thread (thiri) too large, just make it in appropriate size to fit in the lamp.

3. Take a lamp with deep space inside, so that it can contain a huge amount of oil at a time. There won't be any disturbance because of this in between to refill the lamp can be avoided.

4. For small pooja, a single face lamp is enough. Because, maintaining 5-faced lamp sometimes cause issues. Also, care should be taken in all the faces while lighting and also maintained till the copletion of pooja.

5. Dont put the thread at the time of pooja inside the lamp. It wont get lighted as easily. Make the thread wet with oil already so that it will catch fire easily. If forget, just scratch some camphor powder over the thread so that it can catch the light soon.

6. Always keep a dry waste cloth near the divine lamp, because the spill of oil may turn the whole place worst.

7. Use gingelly oil or ghee as source.

8. There are a lot of things which can be used as thread-wicks. (cottonwicks, Lotus stem wicks, also many other things are now available). Traditionally use cotton wicks.

9. Never allow the lamp to glow in high flame. It should be like a drop over the thread.
"Muthu pola vilaketri" (like a pearl, it should glow).

10. While lighting the lamp, think of mahalakshmi, shiva-parvathi, and deepam itself as sakthi. Chant some slokas or namas atleast. Main thing is consider lamp as a girl, offer kumkum immediately after lighting it. Then, provide milk before you cool that. Cooling the lamp, should be done with flower or finger dipped with milk. Never cool the divine lamp by blowing air from mouth.

Pranams
Durga Sir, May I know what should be the direction, the lit wick should face. East, South like... Thank You

The wick can face any direction except south. East removes sorrow and evil, West removes debt, enemies. North provides energy to the family and protection.

(This sloka is to be recited while lighting lamp)
Subham Karoti Kalyanam Arogyam Dhana Sampadah
Shatru Buddhi Vinashaya Dipa Jyotir Namostute
Deepajyothi Parabrahma Deepajyothi Janardhana
Deepo me hara tu paapam Deepaa Jyothir Namostute

As I said in one of my earler posts, facing south with the wick should be for dead. The direction is meant for that pithrus. So, avoid facing south.
In my house, the divine lamp is like that it faces upward direction. (Urdhvamukha), so that we usually considers the wick which is coming outside as face of the lamp. Actually, the urthvamuka lamps doesnt have any face-like concepts. It shares all the directions.
We usually say this piece of thriupugazh while lighting divine lamp
"Deepa mangala jyothi namo nama
Thuya ambala leela namo nama
Deva kunjari paaga namo nama --Arul thaaraai"
Pranams

The wick can face any direction except south. East removes sorrow and evil, West removes debt, enemies. North provides energy to the family and protection.

(This sloka is to be recited while lighting lamp)
Subham Karoti Kalyanam Arogyam Dhana Sampadah
Shatru Buddhi Vinashaya Dipa Jyotir Namostute
Deepajyothi Parabrahma Deepajyothi Janardhana
Deepo me hara tu paapam Deepaa Jyothir Namostute

As I said in one of my earler posts, facing south with the wick should be for dead. The direction is meant for that pithrus. So, avoid facing south.
In my house, the divine lamp is like that it faces upward direction. (Urdhvamukha), so that we usually considers the wick which is coming outside as face of the lamp. Actually, the urthvamuka lamps doesnt have any face-like concepts. It shares all the directions.
We usually say this piece of thriupugazh while lighting divine lamp
"Deepa mangala jyothi namo nama
Thuya ambala leela namo nama
Deva kunjari paaga namo nama --Arul thaaraai"
Pranams
Durga sir, Thank you for your very detailed presentation. Just out of quest for further learning: We worship and seek pithru's blessings for our's and our progeny's welfare and a good life. Such being the need why not the wick face south also which is the direction of pithrus.

Sri Durgadasan

Am I right in my understanding that: direction is immaterial in a multi wick lamp, lamps in temple, when thousand lamps( AAyiram depam or Laksha deepam) are lighted.

Also Bhasma(sacred ash) can be applied in plain with plain water in the morning ,and with a little sandal in the noon/day.( This is to quell the heat in the noon/day).

A simple "Shambho Mahadeva" may be sufficient to chant while doing the Bhasma Dhaaranam(applying sacred ash), if we don't know the mantras.

I like to be corrected if wrong.

Dear Suryakasyapa sir,

Noone is pakka correct. If you say yourself as halfbaked, I will be quarter baked... the potter ghorakumba said even namadeva as halfbaked pot. Anyhow I wish to share few things within my knowledge regarding this issue.

Your views are absolutely correct suryakasyapa sir.

If we dont know the mantra, it is not at all a big sin. Because, we are mixing ash and water in presence of air and sky (which has already earth and fire in it). By simply wearing vibudhi, we are conquering panchabudhas. Also, it always says us about the reality and non-permanency of life. So, chanting something is necessary at the time. Even a simple "siva siva" is enough. I dont know about mixing ash with sandal paste. Why am saying this in particularly is, ash is for warmth feel and sandal is for cooling. Whether these two can be mixed medically? I really want to get an answer. I saw many people wearing both but not as you said sir, I mean mixing ash with sandal.

The light came out from the lamp is going to spread over all the directions. It is always usual that in temples, we cannot do everything properly as lots of crowd will be there. Also if you turn the lamp to east or west, which was facing the south, sometimes it may hurt the feelings of the person who lit the lamp. So, we can totally omit this. Also, when lighting lamps like 1000 we cannot judge direction for each and every. Also we should consider the sapce too. So, that is also an exceptional case. Anyhow, in 5-faced lamp (multiwicked lamp), it can be avoided. The two faces of the lamp will be projecting over two cross-directions and hence, automatically it will face e, w, n, and two others will face, nw, se, sw...like that and thus, we avoid the exact south.

Pranams

Kindly clarify me sir if Iam going wrong by explanations...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Dear Sri Durgadasan Ji,

Read this thread with great interest. You have provided a wealth of info. Please accept my heartfelt appreciation. Thankyou very much sir...

Regards.

Vanakkam DURGA Sir,

Thank you very much for your precision about the direction of the wick of a lamp. But what about the Kutthu villaku which is used in all our ceremonies, most of the time it has more than four direction ??? What should we do then ? do I conclude that we should Light only three of them ?

No No certainly not mam. You have to lit all the faces. You just keep the lamp facing east. The rest 4 faces will be facing someother cross directions only. It wont face exact south. Some other SE, NE, SW, NW it will face. thats OK. So, it will be well and good if you lit five faces. Always lit whole five faces when you are using such lamps. Litting some faces and leaving other faces will be equivalent to serving someone with heavy food and serving someone with nofood in the same pandhi. Even if one face has switched off, relit it. You should simultaneously cool all the faces. Go ahead with litting five-faced lamp. The lights from five-faced lamp will provide you immeasurable plaesure when you sees that.

Hope you get clarified.

Pranams

Last edited:
Somehow this thread has been left as such like "Kumara sambhava". It is in that poem only, kalidas did not mentioned at all the final climax of kumara sambava, which actually the title claims. Similarly, I left the important part archanai. Anyhow, I wish to share that to some extent which I know.

After getting ready for pooja.

1. Make a pillayar with turmeric (if there is small idol or photo, thats also enough).
2. Inform the tasks to everyone: "mamopatha...."
3. Do initial pooja to him (Complete pooja can also be done. I mean after doing archana, dhoopa, deepa, naivedhya can also be done). For small thridsadhi archana, asthothara archana or any sort of home-archanas, simple "Suklambaratharam..." is enough.
4. Then, start the archanai with dhyana.
5. Then dhoopa deepa and naivedhya
6. Then upachara (Veda ghosha, songs and mahadeepam, swasthi)

I left-out many many things. But, I shared here what I do every friday. It is a very small pooja only. An initiative... Dont consider this as perfect poojakrama. Anyhow, I wish to share something related to this. Hope I did this job atleast to some extent.

Thanks for amala ji for starting this thread, Vijisesh ji for inducing me to write about this, Dr sundaram for constant support...

Pranams

The significance of Archanai as I know is to please the God/Goddess by reciting the 108 or 1008 Namas of the God.This will benifit in getting to know/dhayan the various Gunas,Swaroops,Sakthis etc of that particular God.We should be silent and listen to the Namavalis During the Archanai in temples and allow others hear the Namas of the God.Acoording Srimad Bhagavadam this is one form of Bhgthi as proclaimed by Young Prahladha.
Alwan

Archanai is pre-eminently a Tamil tradition. The earliest reference to Archanai found in Tamil literature is recorded below.

பல்வேறு வகையான பூசை முறைகளைப் பற்றித் திருமுருகாற்றுப்படை கூறுகிறது. அந்தணர்கள் வேதம் ஓதி மலர் தூவி முருகனை வழிபட்டதைக் கூறும் நக்கீரர் ஆற்றுப்படுத்தப்படும் இரவலனுக்கு முருகனை எப்படிப் போற்றுவது என்று சொல்லும் இடத்தில் ஒரு அழகிய தமிழ் அர்ச்சனையைக் கூறி தமிழும் வேதமும் இணைந்து வாழ்ந்த காட்சியைக் காட்டுகிறார்.

நெடும்பெரும் சிமயத்து நீலப் பைஞ்சுனை
ஐவருள் ஒருவன் அங்கை ஏற்ப
அறுவர் பயந்த ஆறமர் செல்வ,
ஆல்கெழுகடவுட் புதல்வ, மால்வரை
மலைமகள் மகனே, மாற்றோர் கூற்றே,
வெற்றிவேல் போர்க் கொற்றவை சிறுவ,
இழையணி சிறப்பிற் பழையோள் குழவி,
வானோர் வணங்கு வில் தானைத் தலைவ,
மாலைமார்ப, நூலறிபுலவ,
செருவில் ஒருவ, பொருவிறல் மள்ள,
அந்தணர் வெறுக்கை, அறிந்தோர் சொல்மலை,
மங்கையர் கணவ, மைந்தர் ஏறே,
வேல்கெழு தடக்கைச் சால்பெரும் செல்வ,
குன்றம் கொன்ற குன்றாக் கொற்றத்து
விண்பொரு நெடுவரைக் குறிஞ்சிக் கிழவ,
பலர்புகழ் நன்மொழிப் புலவரேறே,
அரும்பெறன் மரபின் பெரும்பெயர் முருக,
நசையினர்க்கு ஆர்த்தும் இசைபேராள,
அலந்தோர்க்களிக்கும் பொலம்பூட்சேஎய்,
மண்டமர் கடந்த நின் வென்றாடகலத்துப்
பரிசிலர்த் தாங்கும் உருகெழு நெடுவேள்,
பெரியோரேத்தும் பெரும்பெயரியவுள்,
சூர்மறுங்கறுத்த மொய்ம்பின் மதவலி,
போர்மிகு பொருந, குரிசில், ...... திருமுருகாற்றுப்படை. 6.36-59

When we light a lamp (kuthu vilakku with 5 mooku) in the pooja room in our houses,is it necessary that we should light minimum two mooku ? I hear from some people that lighting of one mooke vilakku is to be done only in the house where a death has taken place.I am not sure whether this view has any backing from our shastras.
S.Sridharan

I dont think so... Because in my house, we are lighting only one-faced lamp for more than twenty years. Anyhow as suggested, when we lighted 5-faced lamp, we will lit two-faces atleast.

Pranams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back