• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

All India Radio Signature tune.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahmanyan

All India Radio Signature tune.:violin:

The first Radio set in our home at Coimbatore was purchased by my father in 1943. It was a six valve HMV Radio of British make, with wooden cabinet. My father told that he selected a set without magic eye, since one valve would be wasted on the magic eye. It had spread bands, (a new innovation) for short wave stations. The Radio set had its own table ( a round one) to sit on in the corner of the hall (living room) area. Our house sported two pole external aerial (antenna) specially mounted on the terrace for the Radio (sort of status symbol !). It was connected to the Radio set by a cable and a "lightning arrester" to prevent shock in case of thunder and lightning.

We applied and got the License from the Postal department to possess a Radio by paying Rs.15/=; believe me you should have a Government License to own a Radio set. A reality checkup by a Postal inspector was done periodically whether we posses a Radio License!.

In those days AIR had only six broadcasting stations, out of this two Radio Stations at Madras and Tricinapoly were broadcasting Tamil Programs in South. The Medium wave Trichy Station was nearer to Coimbatore listeners. During the War time, another Shortwave station from New Delhi was broadcasting Tamil Programs known as தென்கிழக்காசிய சிற்றலை ஒலிபரப்பு. AIR was even publishing a program schedule fortnightly in Tamil called Vaanoli வானொலி .

In the mornings we were woken-up by the soothing sound of the AIR signature tune played on violin supported by tanpura. You can listen to the enchanting tune in the following website:
AIR tune clip on Ovi by Nokia

This Signature tune was taken in from a Sonata composed by Czech born Prof. Walter Kaufman, Director and Conductor of European Music section of at All India Radio, Bombay (Mumbai) at their studios on Queen's Road, near Marine Lines train station. The violin was played by Mehli Mehta, father of world famous Orchestra conductor Zubin Mehta. This was in the year 1938.
Those were the days Tamil Brahmin Ladies were dressed up in Madisaar so also were the programs of AIR. The codes of conduct were strictly followed under I & B.Minster Mr. B.V.Keskar (interestingly, a student of Sorbonne, Paris). Almost for 12 years no film music was heard from AIR stations. Similarly Harmonium was considered inappropriate for India classical music by AIR since 1940 for a long time.

I request other members to share their nostalgic memories of good old AIR.:music:

Regards,
Brahanyan,
Bangalore.

On those days in Agraharams those houses having a Valve Radio will be considered Rich.

In Villages Radio Rooms were provided to Secure Radio and switch on the relay during News time.

In fact those days are Golden Memories....

I had heard that the signature tune in Sivaranjani raga was composed by some Indian musician. In the light of the OP I am not sure whether what I had heard is true.

As regards Harmonium, the popular belief in many parts of India is that it was due to the adamantine attitude of Nehru who wanted to keep K.L. Saigal's music completely banned from AIR because of Nehru's love affair with some North Indian actress who loved Saigal ;)

WOW! Loops within loops. A story fit for a mega serial in all Indian

languages.. the eternal triangular love affair. :clap2:

I had heard that the signature tune in Sivaranjani raga was composed by some Indian musician. In the light of the OP I am not sure whether what I had heard is true.

As regards Harmonium, the popular belief in many parts of India is that it was due to the adamantine attitude of Nehru who wanted to keep K.L. Saigal's music completely banned from AIR because of Nehru's love affair with some North Indian actress who loved Saigal ;)

Reminds me of a famous proverb in Tamil:

வண்ணானுக்கு வண்ணாத்தி மேலே ஆசை.
வண்ணாத்திக்குக் கழுதை மேலே ஆசை.

We are all safe as long as we not analyse

who these three main characters are :rolleyes:

dear B,

what a comforting way to start the day, with AIR signature tune.

the broadcast, if i remember right, started with 3 beeps, and the unique signal, bibi peep bibi peep, in the fore, with oorayang oorayang, in the background :) even now i can mimic it :)

i remember the day, sometime in 60s, with disgust, when 'akila india vaanoli' was replaced with 'aakashvani', and when the anti hindi agitation came, put my two bits, in demonstrations. stupid congress. stupid bhaktavatsalam. the congress never recovered from this blunder.

music season, even though i am not generally a fan of carnatic music, used to see every house blare when MS or MLV or DKP had concerts. i used to listen fully the concert from Tamil Isai Sangham for atleast there, the music was close to fully tamil.

the cricket comments by vizzy was full of hilarious blunder, and whichever house, we boys congregated, used to shake with our laughter at vizzy's mispelling of people's names or mistaken identities. only to be soon put right by the cool suave smooth voice of anand rao, my ever favourite, though berry sarbhadhikari came close :)

the sunday 3 pm paappa malar with radio aNNa was another program to look forward to in our home, with its quizzes, songs and villuppattu.

in my teen years, the saturday 9:30 pm listener's choice. initally when beatles arrived, every song was requested by the beatles. then they put a rule, that only one beatle song per session. i still listen to connie francis, jim reeves, herman's bermits .. all introduced to me by AIR LC on saturdays.

i used to sleep next room to my parents, and like good chennaivasis, the lights were out by 9pm those days, and the LC started only at 9:30 or so, if i remember right. anyway it was after lights out, and i used to snuggle the little transistor under my bed, and to constant chastening from dad, cross at me for my nocturnal foray into western music, and shouting to shut the 'bloody thing' off.

ofcourse, with more stations in tamilnadu, the vividh bharathi, and along with it, daily 8pm then kinnam, replaced the loyalty of many tamilians who overnight switched from radio ceylon. without much ado we said good bye to mayilvahanam and company.

last but not least, who could forget 'machariyaal se madan lal upadhyaya'. this guy used to request songs, in almost in every session of hindi requests not only in vividh bharathi or also in radio ceylon. upadhyaya, wherever you are, you had a name recognition, bar none, in the india of 1950s and 60s.

:)

I had heard that the signature tune in Sivaranjani raga was composed by some Indian musician. .......
That 'ga ri ga ...... ri sa dha.......... ri sa dha pa ... da sa da pa.........' with the drone of the sruthi is really something divine, Sir!

Many of our SingArach Chennai musicians never miss the chance to add it in their Sivaranjani rAga eloboration!! :thumb:

Dear Sri Brahmanyan Sir,

You have brought up very nostalgic memories, but I have to admit that they are now fuzzy, unlike Sri Kunjuppu Ji's very acute memories.

My uncle with whom we lived because I lost my dad at a very young age, was very conservative. I do not think we got a radio till the sixties, and our first one was Phillips. After about five years when it broke down, we bought a Japanese make, I think it was Sharp. I liked it because it had more lights than the old one, my judgement to commit me to my favoritism as has been always in my life, the simple things that appeal to a simpleton mind.

Then I remember religiously listening to Binaca Geet Mala every week, I think it was on Wednesdays. I also remember the AIR English news every day at 9:00 PM, delivered in an authoritative baritone voice, which made me feel that all was okay with the world. I think it was Melville De Mille.

Regards,
KRS

I remember 'Radio Anna' who used to conduct children's programs in AIR, Madras!

Dad used to write down the notation for the songs taught in AIR, Trivandrum in the mornings. We learnt many compositions of

Swathi ThirunAL MahArAjA and Deekshidhar. The learning process is still fresh in my memory. 'BAvayAmi RaghurAmam' was one

of them!

i still like roshan menon. for a long time i thought she was a man. her 9 pm news was a must in our house, and dad used to shout at us if we made any noise.

the funny thing, is many a things roshan said, especially with the poor quality of wavy transmission in those days, we did not understand :)

but we did homage to roshan as regularly as sandhyavandhanam and binaca geeth male :)

... and till my teens, i thought, there were little people inside the radio box !!!!!

I thought Saroj Narayanaswamy was a man!! There are many articles, if we Google search, about that great lady! :ranger:

raji, i think voices sound different over the air. or even over the phone.

in our house, both mrs K and self, often get mistaken for the other. and that too by close friends of years!!

raji, i think voices sound different over the air. or even over the phone..........
Very true, Sir! One more info. Some voices are microphone friendly (mine is NOT!!) and sound better than the original.

Some are nice to listen without microphone. I used to think one of my friend's husband's voice as their daughter's voice

and when he picks up the phone, ask him 'AmmA irukkaaLA?' Only after a few calls, I could find out correctly!

Last edited:
While we are on the subject of News readers, some of the great names of English News Readers of AIR come to my mind. They are Melville De Mello, Surajit Sen, Lotika Ratnam, Roshan Menon and Chakrapani . Chakrapani was a Sports commentator too. Melville De mello's sonorous voice and Suraji Sen's baritone covered almost all the historic events of our nation in 40s and 50s. They brought the events to our mental eye by their descriptive commentaries like Sanjaya of Mahabharata.
My favorite Tamil News Readers were Natesa Viswanathan, Poornam Viswanathan and Lakshmi.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Reading through this thread makes me realise that 'masculine' female

voices and 'feminine' male voices best suited the A.I.R.!!!

Last edited:
One ore proof to show that God is impartial to all human beings.

The famous singers and speakers have an ordinary beauty- not matching their extraordinary voices.

The beauties over whom people go "ga-ga", have stunning faces and figures and very often gruff masculine voices!

That is why the dubbing artists (who may not be as good to look at as the stars they lend their voices to) make a neat sum of money from behind the screen.

One lady made a comment that the news readers look like brides about to enter the nuptial bridal chamber.

The one thing missing was a "paal chombu". :rolleyes:

Later she got into lot of troubles for speaking out these words!

But at times I sympathise with the men in their stiff and sweating coats and suits and the ladies decked with heavy saris and jewellery- quite unnecessary for reading the heart breaking world news.

While we are on the subject of News readers, some of the great names of English News Readers of AIR come to my mind. They are Melville De Mello, Surajit Sen, Lotika Ratnam, Roshan Menon and Chakrapani . Chakrapani was a Sports commentator too. Melville De mello's sonorous voice and Suraji Sen's baritone covered almost all the historic events of our nation in 40s and 50s. They brought the events to our mental eye by their descriptive commentaries like Sanjaya of Mahabharata.
My favorite Tamil News Readers were Natesa Viswanathan, Poornam Viswanathan and Lakshmi.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

என்ன பிராமன்யன் சார் நம்ம ஜானகியே விட்டுட்டீங்களே :)

என்ன பிராமன்யன் சார் நம்ம ஜானகியே விட்டுட்டீங்களே :)

மன்னிக்கணும் குஞ்சுப்புசார் , வயது கோளாறு, மறதியும் அதிகம். ஜானகி மற்றும் சில பெயர்கள் நினைவுக்கு வரவில்லை.
அன்புடன் :pray2:

ப்ரஹ்மண்யன்
பெங்களூர்

"வயது கோளாறு" usually denotes the mischief done by the

hot-blooded-youngsters and teen-agers! :becky:

மன்னிக்கணும் குஞ்சுப்புசார் , வயது கோளாறு, மறதியும் அதிகம். ஜானகி மற்றும் சில பெயர்கள் நினைவுக்கு வரவில்லை.
அன்புடன் :pray2:

ப்ரஹ்மண்யன்
பெங்களூர்

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back