• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Alaska is ours says Russia

The Alaska Purchase was the United States' acquisition of Alaska from the Russian Empire. Alaska was formally transferred to the United States on October 18, 1867, through a treaty ratified by the United States Senate.

Russia had established a presence in North America during the first half of the 18th century, but few Russians ever settled in Alaska. In the aftermath of the Crimean War, Russian Tsar Alexander II began exploring the possibility of selling Alaska, which would be difficult to defend in any future war from being conquered by Russia's archrival, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Following the end of the American Civil War, U.S. Secretary of State William Seward entered into negotiations with Russian minister Eduard de Stoeckl for the purchase of Alaska. Seward and Stoeckl agreed to a treaty on March 30, 1867, and the treaty was ratified by the United States Senate by a wide margin.

By the 1850s a population of once 300,000 sea otters was almost extinct, and Russia needed money after being defeated by France and Britain in the Crimean War. The California Gold Rush showed that if gold were discovered in Alaska, Americans and British Canadians would overwhelm the Russian presence in what one scholar later described as "Siberia's Siberia".[3] However, the principal reason for the sale is that the hard-to-defend colony would be easily conquered by British forces based in neighboring Canada in any future conflict, and Russia did not wish to see its archrival being next door just across the Bering Sea. Therefore, Emperor Alexander II decided to sell the territory. The Russian government discussed the proposal in 1857 and 1858,[5] and offered to sell the territory to the United States, hoping that its presence in the region would offset the plans of Britain.

Now trying to back out. It is like China saying that Nagaland belongs to them. The Tsar Alaxander was smarter that Putin henchmen. It will be impossible for Russia to attack Alaska; they will suffer worse fate than the Afghanistan occupation.

How is this thread relevant to this forum? How many people other than the poster who has a personal vendetta against USA, because of his personal failure in this land of opportunity.

Last edited:
Opportunities are there in every land. People of other countries are equally if not more capable. America is a very much hyped country. Americans have to come out of their intoxication. Russias reactions are a natural one to Americas misplaced self importance.

btw Americans are no match for Russians when it comes to mental strength and courage. Americans flourish in a protected and safe environment. They are more paper tigers.

Once upon a time when our politicians did not tend to apologize for our country's prior actions, here's a refresher on how some of our former patriots handled negative comments about our great country.
These are good

JFK'S
Secretary of State, Dean Rusk, was in France in the early 60's when
DeGaulle decided to pull out of NATO.

DeGaulle said he wanted all US military out of
France as soon as possible.

Rusk responded,
"Does that include those who are buried here?"

DeGaulle
did not respond.
You
could have heard a pin drop.

When in England , at a fairly large conference,
Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury
if our plans for Iraq were just an example of
'empire building' by George Bush.

He answered by saying,
"Over the years, the United States has sent many of
its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for
freedom beyond our borders.
The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return
is enough to bury those that did not return."
You
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was a conference in France
where a number of international engineers were taking part,
including French and American.
During a break, one of the French engineers came back into
the room saying,
"Have you heard the latest dumb stunt Bush has done?
He has sent an aircraft carrier to Indonesia
to help the tsunami victims.
What does he intend to do,
bomb them?"

A Boeing engineer stood up and replied quietly:
"Our carriers have three hospitals on board
that can treat several hundred people;
they are nuclear powered and can supply
emergency electrical power to shore facilities;
they have three cafeterias with
the capacity to feed 3,000 people three meals a day,
they can produce several thousand gallons of
fresh water from sea water each day,
and they carry half a dozen helicopters for
use in transporting victims and injured to and from their flight deck.
We have eleven such ships;
how many does France have?"
You
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A U.S. Navy Admiral
was attending a naval conference
that included Admirals from the
U.S., English, Canadian, Australian and French Navies
At a cocktail reception, he found himself standing with
a large group of officers that included personnel from most of those countries.
Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks,
but a French admiral suddenly complained that,
whereas Europeans learn many languages,
Americans learn only English.
He then asked,
"Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences
rather than speaking French?"

Without hesitating,
the American Admiral replied,
"Maybe it's because the
Brit's, Canadians, Aussie's and Americans
arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak
German."
You

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AND
THIS STORY FITS RIGHT IN WITH THE ABOVE...

Robert Whiting,
an elderly gentleman of 83,
arrived in Paris by plane.
At French Customs,
he took a few minutes to locate his passport in
his carry on.

"You have been to France before, monsieur?"
the customs officer asked
sarcastically.

Mr. Whiting
admitted that he had been to France
previously.

"Then you should know enough
to have your passport ready."

The American said,
"The last time I was here,
I didn't have to show it."

"Impossible..
Americans always have to show their passports on
arrival in France !"

The American senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look.
Then, he quietly explained,
''Well, when I came ashore at Omaha Beach on
D-Day in 1944 to help liberate this country,
I couldn't find a single Frenchman
to show a passport to."

You

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If
you are proud to be an American, pass this on!
If not, delete it.

I am proud to be of this land -- AMERICA
I am proud to be an American

HAVE A GOOD AND BLESSED DAY

btw Americans are no match for Russians when it comes to mental strength and courage. Americans flourish in a protected and safe environment. They are more paper tigers.
I have never lived in Russia and would not want to live in that country.

Happiness:

There have been eminent and quality people from USA. Yes pin drop silence. But we have also seen the maximum noise and sound coming from there. Lets face the reality.

Last edited:
Sravna, that way India too can rightfully claim Pakistan, Afghanistan, Bangladesh as theirs isnt it?
Afghanistan was known as the Kingdom of Gandhara..thats why you find name Kandahar in Afghanistan.

Malaysia too can claim Singapore as theirs because S'pore was indeed part of Malaysia once upon a time.

I really dont get it why its so important to you that Russia is saying Alaska is theirs?

Btw, I am not a racists but it doesnt really matter who is no match to whom.
What so great of Russia or USA or any other country for the matter?

As a person who follows Advaita philosophy, you should be knowing all of the so call intelligence or affluence or scientific advancement of any nation or race has zero value in the path of self realization.

At times I really wonder if you actually understand Advaita.

Sravna,
I remember reading a joke once that a dog from Russia who used to go to USA on and off ,was finding fault with USA and telling a dog from USA how great Russia is blah blah blah and USA isnt as good as Russia.

So the USA dog asked the Russian dog.." then why do you come to USA on and off is Russia is so great?"

The Russian dog replied " to bark"

Poor Russian dog, has everything yet no freedom to bark.

But seriously Sravna, would you mind living in Russia?

Dear Renuka,

Freedom is an alluring concept. It works terribly on its own. One needs to be responsible, mature, intelligent and a number of other things for freedom to be constructively used. It is lot more often misused these days. develop those basic and essential qualities first. Personally and at a societal level you will truly enjoy freedom.

I do not want ruffle feathers. If you can explain on what basis you raised the question whether i would live in Russia I can address it better. But I am strongly resisting my parents desire to make me come to USA.

Dear Renuka,

Freedom is an alluring concept. It works terribly on its own. One needs to be responsible, mature, intelligent and a number of other things for freedom to be constructively used. It is lot more often misused these days. develop those basic and essential qualities first. Personally and at a societal level you will truly enjoy freedom.

I do not want ruffle feathers. If you can explain on what basis you raised the question whether i would live in Russia I can address it better. But I am strongly resisting my parents desire to make me come to USA.
You should follow your parent's suggestion.

Once you go to USA, you would give up the issues you have with USA..who knows, may be thats the only thing holding you back in your full spiritual awakening.

Sometimes we need to face our " personal perception" and realize that it needs to be undone.

So go to the USA..be with your parents.

Renuka,

If you think I have a bias against usa it is not the case. I feel I have to do something very constructive for the society. As for as my parents they would be happy to come back and stay with me if I take the decision to stay back here.

I am strongly driven by a purpose and one of my goals is to work on showing that we are stuck in a one track thinking and that is impeding a fuller development of self. My own example of spiritual development after living a routine life can convince people that there is a life changing potential ability in everybody which can be tapped and we can get perspectives which otherwise we are missing. My other goal is to experiment with spiritual energy for developing technology.

In addition to being the home country India is a perfect place to carry out my goals and realize them.

Renuka,

If you think I have a bias against usa it is not the case. I feel I have to do something very constructive for the society. As for as my parents they would be happy to come back and stay with me if I take the decision to stay back here.

I am strongly driven by a purpose and one of my goals is to work on showing that we are stuck in a one track thinking and that is impeding a fuller development of self. My own example of spiritual development after living a routine life can convince people that there is a life changing potential ability in everybody which can be tapped and we can get perspectives which otherwise we are missing. My other goal is to experiment with spiritual energy for developing technology.

In addition to being the home country India is a perfect place to carry out my goals and realize them.
Sravna, let me tell you a story.
After Prophet Abraham faced the test from God, he was instructed by God to climb up a hill and call out loudly to people to come preform the annual pilgrimage.

Abraham asked God..." but there is no one here, who is going to hear me"

God replied " just go ahead..you do your duty and I will deliver the message"

So you see Sravna, none of us need another human being to realize our own spiritual potential, if we do our duty right God becomes our Guru or He sends us a Guru.

Whatever our own spiritual awakening is, its only our ego which is saying others need us as an example.

Each human no matter how bad has the full potential to make a U turn and turn spiritual.

Its time to let go of the thought that we can make a change for others.

We can only make a change for ourselves.

Sravna, let me tell you a story.
After Prophet Abraham faced the test from God, he was instructed by God to climb up a hill and call out loudly to people to come preform the annual pilgrimage.

Abraham asked God..." but there is no one here, who is going to hear me"

God replied " just go ahead..you do your duty and I will deliver the message"

So you see Sravna, none of us need another human being to realize our own spiritual potential, if we do our duty right God becomes our Guru or He sends us a Guru.

Whatever our own spiritual awakening is, its only our ego which is saying others need us as an example.

Each human no matter how bad has the full potential to make a U turn and turn spiritual.

Its time to let go of the thought that we can make a change for others.

We can only make a change for ourselves.
Both self and society have to constantly undergo improvements. Improvement can happen through experience and introspection. But these days even with the right experience people are not willing to introspect. Thats when an external push is needed. It has happened all along in history and nothing new

Both self and society have to constantly undergo improvements. Improvement can happen through experience and introspection. But these days even with the right experience people are not willing to introspect. Thats when an external push is needed. It has happened all along in history and nothing new
What makes you so sure no one knows what you know?
You should read the words of Ramana Maharishi..he is so clear that one should just focus on self improvement first.

The world existed even before you and I were born.
The world will keep on going without me or you.
Honestly you are looking for some form of " control" ..
Its time you just simply learn to Be.

Dont you realize you are actually torturing your own mind by all these.

Please look within..pray to God to guide you...looking within has 100% success rate if we have Sharddha and Saburi( patience).

All of us can fail in our external lives be it job,relationships, wealth, fame etc..but there is no failure on the road to God.

Renuka,

You just have to look around to immediately understand that there is so much of disharmony in the world. I am not saying that by trying help others and to improve the situation I am looking down upon the capability or knowledge of others. The world as it is because of interconnectedness has become a very complicated place. There are so many factors coming from all directions that impact people. It is the poor and other influencable section of society that bear the brunt of this impact. I am saying they have the potential as much as the previleged people but that potential is not bearing out because they are stifled both bluntly and in indirect ways. Dont you think they deserve a much better life and freedom from undue negative influences?

Renuka,

You just have to look around to immediately understand that there is so much of disharmony in the world. I am not saying that by trying help others and to improve the situation I am looking down upon the capability or knowledge of others. The world as it is because of interconnectedness has become a very complicated place. There are so many factors coming from all directions that impact people. It is the poor and other influencable section of society that bear the brunt of this impact. I am saying they have the potential as much as the previleged people but that potential is not bearing out because they are stifled both bluntly and in indirect ways. Dont you think they deserve a much better life and freedom from undue negative influences?
Even Avatars dont make too much drastic changes.
I really dont want to think anything along the lines that I was born to do something.

As we age we should realize that we are finally just dependent of guidance from God and should NOT play God.

Even Avatars dont make too much drastic changes.
I really dont want to think anything along the lines that I was born to do something.

As we age we should realize that we are finally just dependent of guidance from God and should NOT play God.
Renuka,

Playing God is a bombastic intent. I will not and cannot do that. But I am doing what my conscience is telling me to do given my understanding of my capabilities and limitations. I will urge everyone who is concerned for the well being of the society to do the same.

Renuka,

Playing God is a bombastic intent. I will not and cannot do that. But I am doing what my conscience is telling me to do given my understanding of my capabilities and limitations. I will urge everyone who is concerned for the well being of the society to do the same.
Exactly..so let go of the thought that you need to guide others.

Some part of me feels you are seeking some " success".

Some other member here used the word " personal failure in the land of opportunity"

Honestly Sravna, I do not feel anyone is a failure as we might not really know our Karmic patterns as why things happen.

Mostly general public expects academic brilliance to ONLY translate into monetary gain but as the story goes its not true because the goal of life isnt really success or failure but gaining the balance to handle both alike.

But I feel some part of you still feels there is some " failure" and you at times are looking for the " lost success" in the field of spirituality.

I have read about stories about people where their Karmic pattern is to not have a high earning capacity but its only to divert the person from the material world so that spiritually will increase.

I feel you have the ability to develop well in spirituality but you are getting stopped by your own unpleasent past history with the USA and the desire to gain the lost success.

Give up those thoughts...spirituality is about balance and not success or failure and one who attains balance is guarenteed a fully enlightened existence.

Dear Renuka,

Actually i am getting that balance. And what you call as seeking success is wanting to translate that balance to the external world. Yes I have gone through very difficult times but have tried to be positive about it. I have learnt some lessons. After those experiences i very well understand what is fundamentally wrong with our thinking. I genuinely feel the need for edification in the society and genuinely feel that my experiences and lessons over the decade can be of value to the society

Dear Renuka,

Actually i am getting that balance. And what you call as seeking success is wanting to translate that balance to the external world. Yes I have gone through very difficult times but have tried to be positive about it. I have learnt some lessons. After those experiences i very well understand what is fundamentally wrong with our thinking. I genuinely feel the need for edification in the society and genuinely feel that my experiences and lessons over the decade can be of value to the society.

We humans can only heal the day we realize we need to gulp the medication first.

Sravna, in an aeroplane when the cabin pressure drops we are asked to put on the Oxygen mask first before we put it on others.

Have you realized ,you are trying to put the mask on others except yourself.

Why is so hard to get well first?
Do you realize you do not take any advice from anyone? Be it your parents or anyone else.

Honestly ask yourself, does anyone in the world actually think you can save the world?

India is full of Gurujis who are well established in saving the world, some are true gurus and some are good bussinessmen.

Why would anyone think you would have something different to share.

Some part of you still cant see reality, I word my sentences politely as I do not wish to stress up anyone..you should follow the advice of your parents and shift to the USA.
Have you thought how stressed up they would be worrying about you?

A lot of people with your medical condition end up being abandoned by family, you are so lucky still that you have a supportive family..yet???

As harsh as it sounds, no one is going to see your story as an example for the world.
99.9999% of people are only going to think on the same lines as what Prasad ji wrote.
Prasad ji was being point blank honest.

You really need to be with your parents..your life would change for the better..join some sat -sang there, learn Vedanta/ Gita etc..be a bhakta, no need to save the world..save yourself.

Nahi Nahi Rakshatin Dukren Karane.
Your "Dukren Karane" here is the desire to save the world.
Drop that.

Last edited:
We humans can only heal the day we realize we need to gulp the medication first.

Sravna, in an aeroplane when the cabin pressure drops we are asked to put on the Oxygen mask first before we put it on others.

Have you realized ,you are trying to put the mask on others except yourself.

Why is so hard to get well first?
Do you realize you do not take any advice from anyone? Be it your parents or anyone else.

Honestly ask yourself, does anyone in the world actually think you can save the world?

India is full of Gurujis who are well established in saving the world, some are true gurus and some are good bussinessmen.

Why would anyone think you would have something different to share.

Some part of you still cant see reality, I word my sentences politely as I do not wish to stress up anyone..you should follow the advice of your parents and shift to the USA.
Have you thought how stressed up they would be worrying about you?

A lot of people with your medical condition end up being abandoned by family, you are so lucky still that you have a supportive family..yet???

As harsh as it sounds, no one is going to see your story as an example for the world.
99.9999% of people are only going to think on the same lines as what Prasad ji wrote.
Prasad ji was being point blank honest.

You really need to be with your parents..your life would change for the better..join some sat -sang there, learn Vedanta/ Gita etc..be a bhakta, no need to save the world..save yourself.

Nahi Nahi Rakshatin Dukren Karane.
Your "Dukren Karane" here is the desire to save the world.
Drop that.
Renuka,

I know I have something different to offer. I can see clearly see whats wrong and I believe I have the means to set the right course. We will see Renuka

Latest ads

Back