• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Akkalkot Maharaj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brahmanyan

I came across the name Akkalkot Maharaj for the first time while reading Sri Sai Satcharitra. He was a contemporary of Shri Sai Baba of Shirdi. Akkalkot Niwasi Shri Swami Samartha also known as Swami Samartha Maharaj, is a household word in Maharashtra and the region around. He is believed to be from the tradition of several sages in the Dattatreya sampradaya. Also a different form of famous Nath Sampradaya.

While we were returning from Shirdi we had to stay at Solapur for the night . My son who knew my desire to visit Akkalkot, suggested that we can drive direct to Akkalkot first, which is just 38 KMS by road from Solapur and visit Akkalkot Maharaj's Mutt and the holy Samadi Math of Shri Swami Samarth Maharaj and return to Solapur for night stay. We all agreed to his suggestion and proceeded to Akkalkot.

Prior to Indian Independence Akkolkot was a small state ruled by Bhonsle dynasty.Shri Swami Samarth Maharajcame to Akkalkot at the beginning of 1856 and stayed there for 22 years till his mahasamadhi in 1878.

This Saint is believed to be the reincarnation of Lord Dattatraya. The devotees worship the Samadhi of this Saint. The Death Anniversary is celebrated on Chaitra Shuddha Trayodashi every year. Large number of devotees visit the place everyday.
The shrine complex, which is known the Vatavruksh Mandir since it encloses the banyan tree beneath which the swami would preach his message, is the hub of devotions for his followers. The present temple is built around famous banyan tree. Free accommodation and meals are provided to pilgrims by the Shri Swami Samarth Annachhatra Mandal. The temple consists of main temple, Sabha mandap and accommodation.

The total period of reincarnation of Swamiji as the fourth Avataar of Shri. Datta is forty years of which he spent 22 years in Akkalkot. From the historic point of view Shri.Swami Maharaj brought to an end his avatar in 1878. But after three months, it is told that he resurrected and appeared before the faithful in Kashi (Varanasi).

The holy Samadhi of Shri. Swamiji is located in the house of Shri. Cholappa in the place already reserved for it before his bodily demise. This is known as Samadhimath.

Just before Mahasamadhi, Swami Samrath advised one of his disciples to worship Shri Sai at Shirdi saying that he (the Swami Samarth) would stay at Shirdi in future. Many published writings on both these Saints by different writers authenticate about the interaction between these two Sadgurus both in the gross, and the subtle planes.

The spiritual fearless slogan in Marathi ‘Bhiu Nakos Mi Tujhya Pathishi Aahe' (Don’t fear, I am with you) is given by Shri. Swami Samarth Maharaj himself.

We visited both the holy places in Akkalkot and had the blessings of Sri Swami Samarath. The Mutt management were very courteous and offered us room to stay and insisted on ourselves taking the Prasad (free meals) when we took leave of them. But due to our pre arranged program we excused ourselves and proceeded to Solapur for night stay.

I request those who go to Shirdi or Pandharpur not to miss this Holy place.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Sri Swami Samartha

Your post refreshed my own visit to the place. Truly it is a good place and attracts people from all over. There is a place nearby known as "Ganngapur" the abode of Nrusimhasaraswati and some anecdote is connected to Shri Ragavendra Swami Mutt at Mantraalayam. Being in Solapur, you can go to Akalkhot, Tuljapur (Shri Bhavani Mandir), and also Pandharpur not at one stretch but without becoming travel weary).

Your post refreshed my own visit to the place. Truly it is a good place and attracts people from all over. There is a place nearby known as "Ganngapur" the abode of Nrusimhasaraswati and some anecdote is connected to Shri Ragavendra Swami Mutt at Mantraalayam. Being in Solapur, you can go to Akalkhot, Tuljapur (Shri Bhavani Mandir), and also Pandharpur not at one stretch but without becoming travel weary).

Dear Sri "Iyyarooraan",

Visiting holy places and meeting Mahathmas give meaning to our life. Yes, Solapur is the center for many such Holy places. But due to time constraint, we proceeded to Pandharpur early next morning. Pandharpur is just 72 Kms from Solapur and the National Highway is good. Then we had been to Kolhapur on our way back to Bangalore.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back