• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Air India economy class flyers to get veg-only meals on domestic flights

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

In a cost-cutting move, loss-laden Air India has stopped serving non vegetarian meals to economy class passengers of its domestic flights. However, budget flyers on AI's international flights will continue getting non-veg food. "We implemented this move about two weeks back. It is expected to save us Rs 7-8 crore annually," said a senior official.

AI spokesman GP Rao said, "Air India has taken conscious decision not to have non vegetarian meal in economy class on its domestic flights to reduce wastage, reduce cost and improve catering service."

The airline also says having only-veg in economy class will avoid mix-ups and that vegetarian meals are more in demand.

The move comes as AI's
debt burden of over Rs 52,000 crore
+
and mounting losses have led the government to decide to sell it off. IndiGo has already given a formal expression of interest to buy
+
the international operations of AI and AI Express.

Last month, AI employees had given a number of cost-cutting measures to the management to turn around the airline and prevent its privatization. These - too little, too late measures -- included cutting salad from meals.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/air-india-economy-class-flyers-to-get-veg-only-meals-on-domestic-flights/articleshow/59523532.cms

It might save a lot more by cutting all meals from domestic flights. Just a thought.

Its a good move. People do not fly to eat. All they need is good tasty food.Nowadays vegetarian cuisine provided by Airlines are not cheap. Many Airlines in the name of economy do not provide even a bottle of drinking water free.
Many of these news items do not have any news value. Better we ignore them.

Many Airlines in the name of economy do not provide even a bottle of drinking water free.
Many of these news items do not have any news value. Better we ignore them.

I agree with you, sir.

But this is an important news item. When the ship is sinking there is no point in arranging the deck chairs. AI is Drowning in Red Ink, and the common public is footing the bill for upper middle class to have all these luxuries.

I think AI should be run as an independent business with or without collaborations.

We should not ignore such revelations.

hi

in any cost cutting....even the almighty can't protect AIR INDIA.....its totally iinefficient and mismangement...

I agree with you, sir.

But this is an important news item. When the ship is sinking there is no point in arranging the deck chairs. AI is Drowning in Red Ink, and the common public is footing the bill for upper middle class to have all these luxuries.

I think AI should be run as an independent business with or without collaborations.

We should not ignore such revelations.

Agreed. "Air india international" was started by Tatas and run efficiently by them. Congress regime nationalised for no reason. Just like any other public sector undertaking, the administration was handed over to inefficient beauracracy to run a commercial venture. The result is what we see today. Better to return the airlines to Tatas if they are ready otherwise wind it up honourably. In the mean while, Government should enquire into the reasons for the losses incurred by the Airline by a performance audit.
All the PSUs were started by Nehru Government with good intentions and ran well during his time.However after the emergency with absolute Government control PSUs failed due to inefficient management and political interference.
While I worked abroad I have preferred Air India to travel home. Their vegetarian food used to be the best among all airlines.

Last edited:
When airlines like spicejet can be turned around, why not air india.

Some bad decisions made by the political class in purchase of planes when praful patel was minister in charge led to its speedy downhill slide.

Politics plays a huge role in its operations and unrenumerative routes are thrust on them as social responsibility.

The merger of airindia with domestic counter part indian airlines lead to a disaster with heart burns from staff on fixations in the new dispensation.

Air india took additional responsibilty of ground maintenance ,hotels got added to its assets . They ended up buying expensive real estate all over the country , paintings ,

art works. Besides all politicians , bureaucrats and their kins collected freebies fleecing the company.After merger, the airline got overstaffed and average age also did not match

competing airlines.

Now Govt is shrugging off responsibility trying to sell it off.

It might get sold off for a song .

Frankly if govt makes the airline autonomous and allow it to run commercially it can easily turn around.

Air India's business class is super & you get pampered a lot! I would prefer Air India any day for international travel! Even in domestic it offers low prices especially in the night with one or two stops

Air India's business class is super & you get pampered a lot! I would prefer Air India any day for international travel! Even in domestic it offers low prices especially in the night with one or two stops

hi sir,

i travelled once on my life time to chicago, USA...its four hours late...many lost connection flights in USA....so dont try....

its your own risk.....i travelled from DELHI TO CHICAGO VIA LONDON...just becoz of patriotism....I NEVER AND EVER TRAVEL

AGAIN....

hi sir,

i travelled once on my life time to chicago, USA...its four hours late...many lost connection flights in USA....so dont try....

its your own risk.....i travelled from DELHI TO CHICAGO VIA LONDON...just becoz of patriotism....I NEVER AND EVER TRAVEL

AGAIN....

I am sorry I do not like to fly Air India.

You should fly the airline that gives you best service for the money.
But as a company, I would support AI if it was efficient and profitable. Air India is neither.
Its customer service is terrible. The service in the plane is horrible. It is a money pit for common people of India.

It should be put out of its misery.

I am sorry I do not like to fly Air India.

You should fly the airline that gives you best service for the money.
But as a company, I would support AI if it was efficient and profitable. Air India is neither.
Its customer service is terrible. The service in the plane is horrible. It is a money pit for common people of India.

It should be put out of its misery.
hi sir,

i am planning to visit india in october this year....i booked the ticket EMIRATES....i fly through dubai....i like dubai airport

and emirates service....very cheap and better service....nice indian food in dubai airport...

Emirates, the food is good, but there are other problems at Dubai airport. I think the Arabs racially discriminate against Indians as "labor class". Even Indian celebrities have complained about it.

Emirates, the food is good, but there are other problems at Dubai airport. I think the againArabs racially discriminate st Indians as "labor class". Even Indian celebrities have complained about it.
hi

i think...its better than BA racism......BA staff are descrimate among skin colors of passengers...

Thanks for the article. I am posting the conclusion of that article.

In 2012, the government bailed out the ailing carrier with 300 billion rupees in funds, guaranteeing the carrier’s loans and promising interest payment on some debt. But its need for working capital exceeded the dole. Short-term loans spiraled on missed revenue targets amid a failure to monetize assets, an auditor said in a report this year.

"Given Air India’s current mess and inefficient state, there’s hardly a queue of folks bashing down the door to squander good money after bad," said Saj Ahmad, an analyst at London-based StrategicAero Research, "Whoever lands in bed with Air India will be lumbered with a debt-ridden partner that has no propensity to alter its course."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back