• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Abuses target at Brahmins in movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching this movie Pithamagan in Sun TV yesterday. It was so frustrating to watch a brahmin lady going to rest room in the train being made fun of. Such an irritating sight. That portion had no relevance to the movie and it seemed like it was included just for the sake of it. Someone venting their frustration at brahmins in a very cheap way.

Same thing in the movie "Boss engira Baskaran". There was a title song where a number of brahmin priests dance to some ugly tunes holding their sacred threads.

I feel there should be a forum to register our protest to scenes like this. And somehow bring to the notice of the directors that there are people who are unhappy about it.

Though there was some consolation for me. I read an interview by actor Delhi Ganesh in Tuglaq (i think it was some 6 months old). He had been offered a role of a brahmin priest in a movie called 'Sirai' and he duly rejected that offer. Any brahmin who would have seen this movie would feel Delhi Ganesh had done the right thing as I had never seen a worse portrayal of a brahmin in a tamil movie. But the role was enacted by another actor eventually who was a brahmin too. At least brahmin actors should refrain from acting in roles that make mockery of brahmins themselves.

Why don't u use ur remote. who is forcing u to watch.
Better ignore than regret. Now a days even lyrics are vulger. Have u seen stage shows in Sun Tv. brah girls dancing in short half pants. is it a nyc site.
In Sun TV shows extra marital affairs are being shown and brah women giving money to gundas to finish off a enemy. is it very cultural?
Why r u taking it so personally.

iN bollywood south indians are mocked but we conveniently ignore such things and get along with our lyf.

No one watches these movies now a days. recently i was getting hair cut and i was forced to listen to a vulger hindi song. a particular line was so bad like "hamse karvaegi". don't know how censor board miss it. one more song it went like this," ek saath ek saath maaro maaro", its a double meaning song.
just ignore them ur lyf will be much better. they will do their job and we should do ours.

Last edited:
one more thing- in dasavataram movie our brahmins film. there is a scene where kamla hasan and asin are shown in a train where asin tries to take a perumal idol into toilet. im telling u one thing. their only concern is money. don't take this as brah v/s non brah.
do u think that was a gr8 thing to do. movies often typecast communities.
have u seen namita cleavage movies. athu romba cultural illa.

tell me what do u feel abt this song
YouTube - Tamil Padam ~~ Kuthu Vilakku ~~ Sample DVD-Rip ~~ Video Songs

I was watching this movie Pithamagan in Sun TV yesterday. It was so frustrating to watch a brahmin lady going to rest room in the train being made fun of. Such an irritating sight. That portion had no relevance to the movie and it seemed like it was included just for the sake of it. Someone venting their frustration at brahmins in a very cheap way.

Same thing in the movie "Boss engira Baskaran". There was a title song where a number of brahmin priests dance to some ugly tunes holding their sacred threads.

I feel there should be a forum to register our protest to scenes like this. And somehow bring to the notice of the directors that there are people who are unhappy about it.

Though there was some consolation for me. I read an interview by actor Delhi Ganesh in Tuglaq (i think it was some 6 months old). He had been offered a role of a brahmin priest in a movie called 'Sirai' and he duly rejected that offer. Any brahmin who would have seen this movie would feel Delhi Ganesh had done the right thing as I had never seen a worse portrayal of a brahmin in a tamil movie. But the role was enacted by another actor eventually who was a brahmin too. At least brahmin actors should refrain from acting in roles that make mockery of brahmins themselves.

i watched boss baskaran yesterday. i did not even notice the dance, till you told me now. it came for a couple of scenes and there were lot of other groups dancing. i thought it was ridiculous, but definitely not insulted.

over the years, all hindu groups have had their share of ribbing. take it with a grain of salt. if you are part of a family, all of this is part of belonging to a society. i agree that muslims or christians are not made fun of, but that is what keeps them apart.

i do not think we should be thought of as separate. we are part of the tamil hindu lore and culture, and if we adopt this sensitivity, then nadars, gounders and such should have more gripes than us - for they have been made fun of more than anyone else.

talking of fun, 'ayyangaru veetu azhagey' with vikram in panchakaccham and kudumi, i thought was hilarious. i think it took more guts for vikram, to shed his usual rugged image, and adorn the brahmin attire, which few brahmins wear today, and gallavant with a madisared sadha.

sit back and enjoy it. learn to laugh at oneself. great self therapy :) costs nothing. enormous healing powers

Dear Rhind,

You remember u have a great weapon in the form of Remote. Use it frequently. If every1 uses it then they will stop making films. They have to be told time and again that viewer is god.

@ Rhind

Boss when u start watching stupid films only then u can enjoy ur life totally. All films are not cultural. look at enthiren the robot. Aish uses chitti to copy in exam. will u follow that example. u will be barred for 3 yrs precious years frm giving exams.
I also used to watch these stupid hindi films. somewhere i also got influenced. now I only watch good movies that my trusted frnds recommend.
Wactch GUZARISH. ITS ROCKING.

aLL films are a gimmick and artificial not representative of ground situation.
for example. in tamil ghajini when asin speaks few good words for surya, a rocking songs comes oru maalai iravuil naeram.
in real life does these things happen. where will we get the music frm. so thats how it goes.
In films its the NB's who are portrayed in bad light more than BRahmins themselves. SUN TV is run by marans who are not brahmins and still in enthiren the robot the NB's were portrayed in poor light. remember when chitti breaks that music system in a impoverished colony. the NB's started worshipping the chitti when he attracted all the metals and showed the maha avatar. thats life.

Last edited:
interesting question re brahmin heritage of the marans.

the maran brothers are 50% of brahmin heritage, thanks to their mother.

dayanidhi maran's wife priya is an iyengar. so that makes his kids 3/4 brahmin heritage... so goes the first family of tamil nadu :) i think it is hilarious if these guys start making anti brahmin statements - cutting your nose to spite your face? :)

dayanidhi maran's wife priya is an iyengar. so that makes his kids 3/4 brahmin heritage... so goes the first family of tamil nadu :) i think it is hilarious if these guys start making anti brahmin statements - cutting your nose to spite your face? :)

do the wives really care? I doubt. Bhagyaraj's wife is Purnima who is a Brahmin. But he is someone who had abused brahmin and brahmin rituals like anything. Same goes for K Balachandar.

@ all
sir these for these corporates it doesn't matter. First of all I don't want to make it brah v/s non brah issue. we should discuss abt 3rd class films in general without making it caste issue. essentially these actors and actresses have no morality. every1 knows abt kamal hassan. Only money facinates them. I just put forward maran's to strengthen my views. for example even Airtel head sunil bharthi mittal is similar case but who cares he has billions of dollors to his cr. And I told for these rich ppl castes don't matter at all.
And as far as percentages is concerned i believe if a muslim girl marries a hindu boy then the son will be strictly a hindu. U can't find percentages of hindu and muslim in him.

1. Brahmins as a community have a better quality of life when compared with others.
2. Brahmins as community has more to show as achievements.
3. Brahmins are more resourceful than others.

So this community attracts the attention bordering on obsession. All that you see in the movies and political platforms are the manifestation of this obsession. Let us enjoy it sitting back in our drawing rooms. No need to get excited. cool.

@ all
And as far as percentages is concerned i believe if a muslim girl marries a hindu boy then the son will be strictly a hindu. U can't find percentages of hindu and muslim in him.
Shri Ramanujan,

If a muslim girl (from an ordinary - not wealthy - family) weds an equally placed hindu boy, there will be no question of their son or daughter being a hindu, percentage or not. Because, either the boy will have to undergo the customary "sunnat" (circumcision) and convert himself to Islam, before his marriage or else, he won't be there!!

Respectable members,

Greetings. In my opinion, most of the large brand Tamizh movie producers portrayed Bramin charecters with respect. I remember Bhagyaraj movie 'Idhu Namma Aalu'; In that agraharam, few different families with varying qualities were shown. I see nothing wrong with that. He also conveyed a very important message in that movie to the caste brahmin community - 'use your fist when it is appropriate'! I knew that very well during my youth years. In Arjun movies, caste brahmins were shown as great charecters. Even Bharathi Raja portrayed caste brahmin with respect in 'Vedham pudhidhu'; In 'Alaigal oivadhillai' movie, a poor caste brahmin boy manages to get a rich, influential Christian girl. K.Balachandar was a critique; I don't see anything wrong with that. "Arangetram'...One should live the feeling of that charecter to have empathy for her. Remember Prameela slapping Kamala Hasan? Is there anything wrong with that? In an old Tamizh movie, (don't remember the name), the local Gurukkal adopts 'silambam' (சிலம்பம்) to keep the villan gang at bay to protect the vulnerable (NBs) in the village until the reinforcement arrives....he gets overpowered and sacrifices his life....but the village vulnerable gets saved.

C grade movies happen to lack any depth and thrive on cheap comedy. Different caste/groups are used to for this comedy. When was the last time a handsome well fit young man was shown as a 'chettiar'? Honestly, I have never seen one; Have any of you?

It is very hard for me to believe caste brahmin community is targetted in Tamil movies. When I was going through this thread, like Sri.Kunjuppu mentioned, I remembered the Anniyan movie song 'Aiyangaru Veetu Azhage'....
Here is a Palaghat Pattar.......YouTube - Kamal Haasan & Urvashi in Sundari Neeyum - Michael Madana Kama Rajan

Cheers!

one more thing very relevent in this context I see day in and out that whenever some big star's film releases they do MIlk kulupatu of his large portrait.
I have seen in Srirangam poor kids playing with tyres, they beg and sometimes they sell books and newspapers at red light/railways.
Even if they work all day long they would make some decent money. Still their would be shortage. They know the real madipu of food.
We often waste food when we go to kalyanam.
Why don't these superstars say that instead of wasting litres of milk down the drain APPEAL TO THEIR FANS TO let them be distributed to poor kids and aezhaigal so that they can fill their empty stomach.

Last edited:
@ sangom
sir u have a point. but i was referring to rich families.
One case is Hrithik Roshan and susaine Khan.

If I speak generally this percentage thing reminds me of a hindi movie named KRANTIVEER by Nana patekar in 1990's . It has a scene. Trust me sir watch this movie.

YouTube - Krantiveer Awardwinning Scene

Actually the trend now is inter-marriages between Brahmins and Non-brahmins, star examples, Soundarya Rajnikanth married Aswin Kumar (Brahmin), Dayanidhi Azhagiri marries Anusha Sitaraman (Brahmin) and many more ...

As Sri. Ramanujan says one should use the remote more frequently whether to switch off the TV or the "mind" remote to desist from attending such movies. Anyway these movies will be relegated to dungheap sooner or later.

Actually the trend now is inter-marriages between Brahmins and Non-brahmins, star examples, Soundarya Rajnikanth married Aswin Kumar (Brahmin), Dayanidhi Azhagiri marries Anusha Sitaraman (Brahmin) and many more ...

i did not know that anusha was a brahmin though Aswin was public knowledge.

MK will increasingly have a tough time justifying to his descendents about being born in 'lowly' caste :) :)

Dear Sri Kunjuppu,

I think, MK will manage that very well.

He has just started to use arya dravida & Dalit card to protect Mr Raja. We may hear more in coming days.

Another abuse while watching "Angaadi Theru". Happened to watch the movie during the new year day as I had nothing else to do. Such a pathetic movie, not sure why it got good reviews, a movie full of blood and artificial tragedies. Nothing else but tragedies, but i don't care about the quality of the movie anyway. Once scene was very disturbing for me more than the blood in the movie. Sister of the heroine attains puberty and she is shown to work as a maid in a Brahmin household. The movie shows the girl is put inside a room just besides the "dog's" room. The brahmin maami says "naanga aachaaram pakkarava. engalaukku theettu aahathu, un thangaiyai koottindu poyin enna enna sadangu pannanumo pannindu va". Where was the need to show a brahmin character in such poor light? The lady could be shown hailing from any other caste. pathetic pathetic. My new year resolution is don't want tamil movies at all till i die. Can't take brahmin abuse coming from all corners. If I want to watch classy movies, I always have the Iranian movies.

I'll never quite get these overreactions. So a negative character was a brahmin. just like in some other films a negative character could be non brahmin. Who cares? Is this really worth going on a hunt about? Brahmin abuse? That's very melodramatic...

I'll never quite get these overreactions. So a negative character was a brahmin. just like in some other films a negative character could be non brahmin. Who cares? Is this really worth going on a hunt about? Brahmin abuse? That's very melodramatic...
So you think the characterisation was not deliberate? Nobody is taking all the dvds of tamil cinemas and hunting where the abuses are. in fact you don't have to strive that hard. If you set aside the brahmin abuses (which I think are deliberate) as non-intentional and it was a collection of mere coincidences in all tamil movies, you won't feel harassed or embarassed. I wish i were so insensitive like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back