• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

About Sanskrit! (from an article)

Status
Not open for further replies.
· As per Sir Monier Monier-Williams (1819-1899), famous for his Sanskrit English dictionary, "India's national character is cast in a Sanskrit mould and in Sanskrit language. Its literature is a key to its vast religious system. Sanskrit is one medium of approach to the hearts of Indians."

On September 10, 1949, Dr. B.R. Ambedkar even sponsored an amendment making Sanskrit as the official language of India. But the said amendment was defeated in the Constituent Assembly. However, Sanskrit was included in the Eighth Schedule of Indian Constitution.
Sanskrit contains sublime thoughts in sublime words. All the Vedas, Upanishads, Aadi Kavi Maharishi Valamiki's Aadi kavyam Ramayana with 24,000 stanzas, Mahabharata, the longest poem in the world with over 1,00,000 stanzas, eighteen Puranas and several other holy books are all written in Sanskrit. Mahabharata also contains Bhagavad Gita. A verse of Mahabharata proclaims that what is found in Mahabharata may appear elsewhere but what is not in Mahabharata would be found nowhere.
To understand and appreciate beauty of Vedas, Sanskrit provides six Vedangs: Shikhsha (phonetics), Vyakarna (grammar), Chhanda (metre), Nirukta (etymology), Kalpa (religious practice) and Jyotish (astronomy).
Sanskrit has the oldest and richest literature in the world. First Mantra of Rig Veda (1.1.1) is the first known poem in the world. English language prides having just one Shakespeare. Sanskrit has got thousands of Shakespeares. It is pitiable that the educated Indian knows nothing about them or about Sanskrit.
Sanskrit contains vast knowledge also about astronomy, astrology and mathematics. And Aryabhatt's Aryabhattiyam can be cited in this regard. Sanskrit also has Ayurveda (medical science) and Dhanur Veda.
Sanskrit is an impeccable language. It is a scientific and systematic language with a perfect grammar. It is computer compatible.
As per Sir William Jones (1746-1794), Sanskrit is "more perfect than Greek, more copious than Latin, and more exquisitely refined than either". Sanskrit is independent, and is not derived from any other language. Sanskrit easily explains complex thoughts in a simple manner. The single theme of 'sublime' permeates Sanskrit literature.
As per NASA, Sanskrit is "the only unambiguous language on earth". Even translated Sanskrit works have won admiration of scholars all over the world.

No language on earth can compete with our

Sanskrit in its brevity and richness of words,

not to mention the various shades of meanings

every single Sanskrit word has!
icon14.png

This topic, viz., the supposed greatness of Sanskrit makes its periodical rounds :) I had given some comments bringing out the deficiencies of this "refined language expressed in the script of the divine town-dwellers देवनागरि" here.

·

English language prides having just one Shakespeare. Sanskrit has got thousands of Shakespeares. It is pitiable that the educated Indian knows nothing about them or about Sanskrit.

If Shakespeare is a term used to denote a dramatist then English has also many Shakespeares.

[Sanskrit is an impeccable language. It is a scientific and systematic language with a perfect grammar. It is computer compatible.
Very often I come across this statement eulogising Sanskrit.Can you kindly explain how Sanskrit is computer compatible.
As per NASA, Sanskrit is "the only unambiguous language on earth".

I read the blog. I have one simple question. Is the blogger "Lije" a higher authority on artificial intelligence than Rick Briggs? How does the blogger's opinion supersede Rick's article?

Regards,

narayan

Shri Narayan,

I have also read both the write-ups. I think we should not go by mere "authority"; how can we say that an ordinary employee of Infosys will never be as intelligent as Shri Narayanamurthy? Pl. go by the contents of the article; I feel Lije has very clearly explained the matter, namely, Sanskrit as it is cannot be used to give commands to a computer, nor can its (Sanskrit's) grammatical/syntactic principles be said to be more suited for a computer language than any of the present advanced computer languages. Kindly read these along with http://sanskrit.inria.fr/Symposium/DOC/Hellwig.pdf
Perhaps you may find some new pov then.

I think this whole discussion is meaningless. AI and computers are still evolving , so we dont know what is the future language of computers. An ideal AI will be able to speak in English and tamil as fluently as in Sanskrit.

Forget computers if you say something in a language, can you understand without doubt what is said if you are taught that language? Yes some meanings can only be guessed in natural languages. That is its inherent beauty. Original meanings can be guessed and newer meanings can be imagined.

Sanskrit I understand , that many things cannot be properly understood , because there has been a change in human imagination itself. We really dont know what was the original meaning of Dharma, Karma, Yagna, astika, rudra and so on. We only have grammar in Sanskrit and rest is imagination. It is the power of human imagination that makes us greater than a computer. I have no respect for C or any other computer language that cannot produce a beautiful poem of Shelley or the sarcasm of GB Shaw. Neither can a computer language produce a poem of Tagore nor the emotions of a Bharathiar. Nor can it produce the love songs of Kannadasan. Nor can it evoke the devotion of Andal. So modern computer languages are not impressive at all, and I dont want to compare any of the human languages which such dull languages.

May be AI can produce poetry and allow imagination like a human mind in some future. But then AI wont be an AI any longer if that is the case. Regards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back