• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A Question on Priority - Kuladeivam Temple/ Mudi errakaradhu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I am planning to go to Vaidheeswaran Kovil for my son's tonsuring and then Visit our Kuladeivam temple at perungalur

I was told by people I know that it is generally done the other way, visit kuladeivam temple and then tonsuring

The elders in our family have not been able to guide me on this

I know different traditions are followed in different families, but, would be interested in hearing a General view

Would appreciate if someone could guide me on thjis

Regards

Karthik

I am told by one of my relatives that offering hair should be done to Kuladaivam only. If the facility does not exist at the Kuladeivam temple then other temples can be chosen.

Kuladeivam must be given first priority for all things. Offering of hair first to kula deivam then after sometime you may offer hair in vaitheeswaran koil ; if you want after some time in palani and after some time in Tirupathy. You may do like this.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out

There is no facility in our Kuladeivam Temple at perungalur for offering hair, therefore it has been a practise to offer hair at Vaideeswaran Koil.

But the question still remains for a case like mine, as, we have two temple visits, one for offering hair and another is Kuladeivam, which one do we do first?

Regards

Karthik

Thank you for taking the time to help me out

There is no facility in our Kuladeivam Temple at perungalur for offering hair, therefore it has been a practise to offer hair at Vaideeswaran Koil.

But the question still remains for a case like mine, as, we have two temple visits, one for offering hair and another is Kuladeivam, which one do we do first?

Regards

Karthik

First to go to kuladeivam temple, worship and obtain blessings before tonsuring your son's hair and then to visit Vaideeswaran koil to offer hair of your son. After tonsuring at Vaideeswaran koil, it would be better if you can again visit your Kuladeivam with your son's tonsured head and perform Abhishkam, aaradhna. If visiting again is no way possible, then, you can perform Samaaradhanai for your kuladeivam in your home, ASAP, after you return.

Mr. Ravi and Mr Karthik....

I am 53 yrs old.

I agree that this custom differ from Families to Families.

But In General Entering Kula Deivam Temple on this Occasion must be after his son's tonsuring hair will be very ideal.

Our Kula Deivam is Ilankovai Amman Temple near Thiruvaiyaru (Tanjore Dist). In our Family we generally Offer Tonsuring at Swami Malai and after that had a bath and Darshan at Swami malai and then only we go to Family Deity Temple.

I Hope this will be the right Procedure.

Doing Tonsure is a family practice (some Brahmin families do not have this system) and it should be done where it had always been done in the family. In some cases both are the same place. Whichever way, the Kuladaivam comes first, and then tonsure.

This thread is in tradition, so probably i should not comment, but it has been bothering me so I will ask the question.
Traditions are great, and one should follow it so as to not hurt any feelings.

What happens if I do not follow this tradition?
If I offer my prayers to a different God than my kuladava, does kuladeva feels offended? Why do we put all this guilt on us and our family members?

Follow the family tradition, you will not be nagged by others. If the tradition is not followed, and say the child falls sick, you should have a biggest bag to receive all blames. You cause disharmony in the family and the child also might look at you accusingly. Forget about tradition, the family and the child gets change of air. The thought of god is instilled in the child. And there are people who get income on this. Other than this tonsure ensures stronger hair-base and thick growth compared to "poonai mayiru". We all must be knowing how TARZAN grew and what he became.

Mr. Ravi and Mr Karthik....

I am 53 yrs old.

I agree that this custom differ from Families to Families.

But In General Entering Kula Deivam Temple on this Occasion must be after his son's tonsuring hair will be very ideal.

Our Kula Deivam is Ilankovai Amman Temple near Thiruvaiyaru (Tanjore Dist). In our Family we generally Offer Tonsuring at Swami Malai and after that had a bath and Darshan at Swami malai and then only we go to Family Deity Temple.

I Hope this will be the right Procedure.
You have said your kuladeivam is near Thiruvaiyaru. As I am from the same place and unfortunately cannot recollect the place, would you mind giving more or closer details for educating myself. The Ambal's name there is Dharmasamvardhini" or in pure Tamil "Aramvallarthanayaki. Forgive me if I am interfering with or inconveniencing you.

First Kuladeivam from father side, second mother side and other ista deivam. We have to go our kuladeivam temple every year without fail and to mahans place worshipping by our ancestors (living saint or samadhi)

Namaskarams,

First of all, what is kuladaivam? He/She is the protector of our Kulam. There is no doubt the kuladaivam should get the priority over other dieties. Every village will have its Barber. You go to the Village, get a barber, perform the tonsuring at his shop. Have a bath in the nearby well/lake/river. Visit your kuladaivam temple. Perform abhishekam/archanai. After this visit other dieties. There should be atleat three days' gap between one tonsuring and the other one. If no such history in your family, you start now. It will have a good effect from now onwards. Make it a practice to visit your kuladaivam temple atleast once in six months or a year. Do not neglet your kuladaivam. It will be a disastrous effect on your young generations. When the diety is protecting your family, wherever you are, then it is your duty to surrender yourself to HIM/HER. Whenever there is any subha celebrations, first pray to your kuladaivam from your place itself and put atleast one rupee in a Hundi and later on when you visit the temple, collect all the hundi offerings and spend for the temple. Keep this as a habit. It is good for you and your family.

Anbudan
Adiyen

How is a "custom" born? What did people do before that so called "custom"? What does it have anything to do with God, culture, etc? Why create this guilt?

Custom born

Manu termed custom as "acharaha paramodharmaha". Our Hindu law
is based on Manu Smruthi, which is recognised as a very important one.
Achara is termed as rather the highest dharma. There are certain things
interpreted in a different way. But there is a clear Hindu Law enveloping
the customs of a Hindu religion. Sometimes, unreasonable customs are
not accepted these days by the people. Certain ancient Hindu customs, for e.g.,
included the girls to dance in the temples, naming them as Devadasis,
which practice is in fact incorrect. Those days, it is believed, certain
category of people used to enjoy such dances and for their pleasure,
these practices were adopted. Yet another thing, in the Southern part
of India, still maternal uncle weds his niece, which is also on one side
seems to be incorrect. But some justify that saying different blood etc.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back