• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

a question on Dharavaatu (for weddings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The right to give the daughter in marriage is that of her father,.In his absence , the following persons in order : father's father;father's brother'; a male member of the family;the mother's father; mother's brother or a relative of the same gothram.page no 39. in the book achara murai written by M. Ramanatha deeshithar 12th Scion of Appaya deekshithar.

whoever does the dharavaathu, my fondest wishes for a happy contended healthy life together for the young couple.

God Bless.

Hi,

Just a question,
My Dad has passed away, so my mum can't perform the wedding ceremony right? So we had an Idea of having my dad's brother to do it. Now his wife has passed away. Can he still do it? Just wondering here

Thanks,
Guru
B D CHANGE U WISH 2 C IN DA WORLD

Shri Guru,

Sastras apart, I have seen one or two marriages among tabras in which the widower father had performed the "dhaarai vaarttu" which is a part of any daana. The same widower is allowed to give daana in other contexts and it is not that a widower becomes ineligible to give a daana. Going a step further, I don't find any objection to the widowed mother herself performing it. But since marriage involves two separate parties, it may be necessary to concede to the desires/wishes of the boy's side also, so that there is no jarring incident in the marriage itself, if they are blinded by orthodoxy.

The right to give the daughter in marriage is that of her father,.In his absence , the following persons in order : father's father;father's brother'; a male member of the family;the mother's father; mother's brother or a relative of the same gothram.page no 39. in the book achara murai written by M. Ramanatha deeshithar 12th Scion of Appaya deekshithar.

Dear Shri Kgopalan,

I believe you misunderstood my question, I wanted to know if he is eligible or not. Thats all... Thanks anyways.

Best regards
Guru

Shri Guru,

Sastras apart, I have seen one or two marriages among tabras in which the widower father had performed the "dhaarai vaarttu" which is a part of any daana. The same widower is allowed to give daana in other contexts and it is not that a widower becomes ineligible to give a daana. Going a step further, I don't find any objection to the widowed mother herself performing it. But since marriage involves two separate parties, it may be necessary to concede to the desires/wishes of the boy's side also, so that there is no jarring incident in the marriage itself, if they are blinded by orthodoxy.

Dear Shri Sangom,

Thanks for your advice. Actually its for the groom side that I'm asking, i.e. me myself. So that's possible. In that case I know how to proceed now. Thank you again.

Best regards
Guru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back