• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A different type of sight seeing tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

/a-real-look-inside-dharavi-slum-in-mumbai

sharell is a white australian, who one day, packed up from down under, came to india, married an indian and now settled in mumbai.

i read her blog albeit irregularly. her insight of india, is interesting, without arrogance, but with a lot of candor. and always with wonderment and joy. never to mince words, she can be as feisty as any of our mamis, and give it good, for people whom she thinks break the rules - mainly folks who cut in the que or are victims of political apathy.

here is an interesting two hour organized tour of asia's largest slum, that is dharavi. an eye opener this one.

To further dispel any notion of poverty stricken people miserable in squalor, Salman began quoting astonishing numbers to me. In Dharavi, there are a total of 4,902 production units bringing in an annual income of $1 billion USD. They’re divided into:

1039 textiles
932 porters
567 leather
498 embroidery
722 recycling
111 restaurants
Thousands of boutiques.

and this thoughtful ending..with some sombre thoughts from salman khan, who was her tour guide..

Salman chatted to us some more before departing. “My dream is to own an Audi but I know not to rely on that to make me happy. My boss, the tour company owner, told me that I’ll only want something else after a while.”

Ain’t that the truth! There are indeed important life lessons to be learned from visiting Dharavi.

sharell is a white australian, who one day, packed up from down under, came to india, married an indian and now settled in mumbai.

i read her blog albeit irregularly. her insight of india, is interesting, without arrogance, but with a lot of candor. and always with wonderment and joy. never to mince words, she can be as feisty as any of our mamis, and give it good, for people whom she thinks break the rules - mainly folks who cut in the que or are victims of political apathy.

here is an interesting two hour organized tour of asia's largest slum, that is dharavi. an eye opener this one.

To further dispel any notion of poverty stricken people miserable in squalor, Salman began quoting astonishing numbers to me. In Dharavi, there are a total of 4,902 production units bringing in an annual income of $1 billion USD. They’re divided into:

1039 textiles
932 porters
567 leather
498 embroidery
722 recycling
111 restaurants
Thousands of boutiques.

and this thoughtful ending..with some sombre thoughts from salman khan, who was her tour guide..

Salman chatted to us some more before departing. “My dream is to own an Audi but I know not to rely on that to make me happy. My boss, the tour company owner, told me that I’ll only want something else after a while.”

Ain’t that the truth! There are indeed important life lessons to be learned from visiting Dharavi.

Dear K,

From Mahim west station Dharavi is far away. You can just enter Dharavi only from Sion west. This whole blog is suspicious, in my view.

1039 textiles
932 porters
567 leather
498 embroidery
722 recycling
111 restaurants
Thousands of boutiques.

Not a word about the all pervading stink of human excreta that starts right from Mahim and chases you untill you cross Matunga Road. Not a word about the dominant tamil population. Not a word about the criminals there. It is too good to believe. I know that place. It is not what it is made out to be here. Small Industries-yes. Amity between religions-yes. The zopdapatties are not as clean as made out here. There are many other things which have not been covered here. It is an incomplete presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back