• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A conversation between a Soldier and Software Engineer in Shatabdhi Train....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear All, Please read this incident…. A true story….

Vivek Pradhan was not a happy man. Even the plush comfort of the air-conditioned compartment of the Shatabdhi express could not cool his frayed nerves. He was the Project Manager and still not entitled to air travel. It was not the prestige he sought; he had tried to reason with the admin person, it was the savings in time. As PM, he had so many things to do!!
He opened his case and took out the laptop, determined to put the time to some good use.
"Are you from the software industry sir," the man beside him was staring appreciatively at the laptop. Vivek glanced briefly and mumbled in affirmation, handling the laptop now with exaggerated care and importance as if it were an expensive car.
"You people have brought so much advancement to the country, Sir. Today everything is getting computerized. "
"Thanks," smiled Vivek, turning around to give the man a look. He always found it difficult to resist appreciation. The man was young and stockily built like a sportsman. He looked simple and strangely out of place in that little lap of luxury like a small town boy in a prep school. He probably was a railway sportsman making the most of his free traveling pass.
"You people always amaze me," the man continued, "You sit in an office and write something on a computer and it does so many big things outside."
Vivek smiled deprecatingly. Naive ness demanded reasoning not anger. "It is not as simple as that my friend. It is not just a question of writing a few lines. There is a lot of process that goes behind it."
For a moment, he was tempted to explain the entire Software Development Lifecycle but restrained himself to a single statement. "It is complex, very complex."
It has to be. No wonder you people are so highly paid," came the reply.
This was not turning out as Vivek had thought. A hint of belligerence crept into his so far affable, persuasive tone. "
Everyone just sees the money. No one sees the amount of hard work we have to put in. Indians have such a narrow concept of hard work. Just because we sit in an air-conditioned office, does not mean our brows do not sweat. You exercise the muscle; we exercise the mind and believe me that is no less taxing."
He could see, he had the man where he wanted, and it was time to drive home the point.
"Let me give you an example. Take this train. The entire railway reservation system is computerized. You can book a train ticket between any two stations from any of the hundreds of computerized booking centers across the country.
Thousands of transactions accessing a single database, at a time concurrently; data integrity, locking, data security. Do you understand the complexity in designing and coding such a system?"
The man was awestruck; quite like a child at a planetarium. This was something big and beyond his imagination.
"You design and code such things."
"I used to," Vivek paused for effect, "but now I am the Project Manager."
"Oh!" sighed the man, as if the storm had passed over,
"So your life is easy now."
This was like the last straw for Vivek. He retorted, "Oh come on, does life ever get easy as you go up the ladder. Responsibility only brings more work.
Design and coding! That is the easier part. Now I do not do it, but I am responsible for it and believe me, that is far more stressful. My job is to get the work done in time and with the highest quality.
To tell you about the pressures, there is the customer at one end, always changing his requirements, the user at the other, wanting something else, and your boss, always expecting you to have finished it yesterday."
Vivek paused in his diatribe, his belligerence fading with self-realization. What he had said, was not merely the outburst of a wronged man, it was the truth. And one need not get angry while defending the truth.
"My friend," he concluded triumphantly, "you don't know what it is to be in the Line of Fire"
.The man sat back in his chair, his eyes closed as if in realization. When he spoke after sometime, it was with a calm certainty that surprised Vivek.
"I know sir.... I know what it is to be in the Line of Fire......."
He was staring blankly, as if no passenger, no train existed, just a vast expanse of time.
"There were 30 of us when we were ordered to capture Point 4875 in the cover of the night.
The enemy was firing from the top.
There was no knowing where the next bullet was going to come from and for whom.
In the morning when we finally hoisted the tricolour at the top only 4 of us were alive."
"You are a...?"
"I am Subedar Sushant from the 13 J&K Rifles on duty at Peak 4875 in Kargil. They tell me I have completed my term and can opt for a soft assignment.
But, tell me sir, can one give up duty just because it makes life easier.
On the dawn of that capture, one of my colleagues lay injured in the snow, open to enemy fire while we were hiding behind a bunker.
It was my job to go and fetch that soldier to safety. But my captain sahib refused me permission and went ahead himself.
He said that the first pledge he had taken as a Gentleman Cadet was to put the safety and welfare of the nation foremost followed by the safety and welfare of the men he commanded... ....his own personal safety came last, always and every time."
"He was killed as he shielded and brought that injured soldier into the bunker. Every morning thereafter, as we stood guard, I could see him taking all those bullets, which were actually meant for me. I know sir....I know, what it is to be in the Line of Fire."
Vivek looked at him in disbelief not sure of how to respond. Abruptly, he switched off the laptop.
It seemed trivial, even insulting to edit a Word document in the presence of a man for whom valor and duty was a daily part of life; valour and sense of duty which he had so far attributed only to epical heroes.
The train slowed down as it pulled into the station, and Subedar Sushant picked up his bags to alight.
"It was nice meeting you sir."
Vivek fumbled with the handshake.
This hand... had climbed mountains, pressed the trigger, and hoisted the tricolour. Suddenly, as if by impulse, he stood up at attention and his right hand went up in an impromptu salute.
It was the least he felt he could do for the country.
PS:- The incident he narrated during the capture of Peak 4875 is a true-life incident during the Kargil war. Capt. Batra sacrificed his life while trying to save one of the men he commanded, as victory was within sight. For this and various other acts of bravery, he was awarded the Param Vir Chakra, the nation's highest military award.

(Oh, The courageous soldiers of Nation India… In which way we should praise your Patriotism and dedication, commitment for your country. Words won’t be sufficient to express the true emotions..We Salute You Dear sons of the Nation. God be with you always, whenever you face the enemy at any time. Let God remove this hatred and enmity from this world forever. Then you don’t have to lose your life for this hatred created by many. Let your family enjoy your presence, love and affection forever. Let you be with your family….

Which song can fit other than this in the golden voice of melody queen Lataji…
What else we can do as the citizens of India we can share this song and listen to it… And, rekindle the patriotism of our hearts once again. Ma Tuje Salaam…..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD_Mk3o4c6c&feature=related

Anandi

Dear Dr. Anandi

A very beautiful and touching post!! Thank you for posting this!

Kind regards
P.S. please call me just Valli

Dear Valli.. (as you say)
Thank you so much... It was very touching and the amount pain and hardwork our Jawans are taking in the adverse conditions and still fighting their best with true patriotism make us speechless. What else tribute we can pay to them other than sharing such wonderful incidents with all we know..
Anandi
Please "Anandi" is ok. That's more affectionate.

Dear Anandi,

The very must post you have initiated. In our schools (Kendriya Vidyala), we often use to listen and sing this great patriotic song that you have posted (Ye Meri Vathan Ke Logoan, Jara Aankhoan Mey Bhar Lo Pani, Jo Shaheed Huye Hain Unki, Jara Yaad Karo Qurbaani) on 15th August every year and on other occasions. As you have highlighted, Jawans are the most revered people of the nation who sacrifice their happiness and life, protecting us in many unimaginable conditions. They not only face the challenges posed by enemies in adverse situations/locations but also undergo emotional set backs.

Your post has reminded me of a true story that my Dad narrated to us. When my dad was serving Delhi Air Force Squadron, Indo-Pakistan war broke in 1971. May dad was one among a group of Air Force battalion to move to the forward base in Pathankot (Punjab) and he was heading the team. They have to keep the fighter planes ready to ensure no technical snags. They have to maintain On Time Performance (OTP) of the fighter planes ( mostly Mig.) that lands after bombarding and after a stipulated time takes the turn around. It was a temporary run way strip for this war purpose and they all were accommodated in a temporary shelter and a work place near to it.

On one early morning at around 3am, when 16 men including my Dad were looking after two landed planes, they were alarmed to hide themselves in the trench (that were made to hide during enemy attacks from air), sensing enemy fighter planes attacking the zone. My dad has to ensure whether all other men have got themselves in a trench to protect themselves and than he has to get into one of the trenches. When my dad randomly tried entering into one, there were already 3 men in it and asked my dad to look for the other, obviously. My dad than within few seconds could enter into the other. The moment he entered, much to his shock, he could see a bomb straight away landing into the same trench which he tried just before.

All the 3 men in that pit were crushed under the ground almost. They could find them only in few pieces. All were emotionally depressed and my Dad almost felt dead. Out of those 3 men, two men were his close friends who know each other right from their induction in Air Force training. After bombarding was over in few minutes, the survivors paid homage and salutation to those killed, shared the grief among themselves for few moments and carried on with their routine preparations.

Though we can say that defense personnel are made hard of their hearts and are trained to go through any emotional set backs, so as to keep their spirit up and fight for the nation, as a human each one undergo a great deal of struggle managing their emotions and sentiments.

Hats off to all the defense personals...

Last edited:
Dear Ravi bhai
that was a wonderful piece of information you have shared with us. Really, Hats off to all the defense personals... As the true citizens of our Nation, what we can do is to give the deserved respect to them on and off the field...
Anandi

ravi,

hats off to your dad and all the soldiers. i have always felt that as a country, we have not shown enough appreciation of our armed forces.

we have put them in 'no win' wars in kashmir, affecting their morale.

i was in india, when kargil war casualties were brought home. in chennai, a tambram officer, who had died, was brought home for funeral. i was touched with the overpouring of love and gratitude.

even here, a while back, we had a father, seeking a husband for his daughter, an army widow with a girl child. not sure, if he ever succeeded.

one word about the migs: these were widow makers par none. barring the ex soviet bloc and china, india was the only major country to fly these (& continue to fly).

i dont think the air force publishes the number of pilots killed through air crashes of this plane. one such casualty was my own dear friend, captain s.s.rajendran circa 1970s. very sad.

ravi,

hats off to your dad and all the soldiers. i have always felt that as a country, we have not shown enough appreciation of our armed forces.

we have put them in 'no win' wars in kashmir, affecting their morale.

i was in india, when kargil war casualties were brought home. in chennai, a tambram officer, who had died, was brought home for funeral. i was touched with the overpouring of love and gratitude.

even here, a while back, we had a father, seeking a husband for his daughter, an army widow with a girl child. not sure, if he ever succeeded.

one word about the migs: these were widow makers par none. barring the ex soviet bloc and china, india was the only major country to fly these (& continue to fly).

i dont think the air force publishes the number of pilots killed through air crashes of this plane. one such casualty was my own dear friend, captain s.s.rajendran circa 1970s. very sad.

Sri Kunjuppu,

Yes, the emotional wave of love, gratitude, patriotism were all in full force when the Army officer's body was braught to Tambaram Air Force Base. The name of that Army Major, the Hero is Mariappan Saravanan. You can go through the story of his Kargil war in this link -
Major Mariappan Saravanan - India Discussion Forum

There were many other heroes who laid down their life as brave, patriotic worriors during this Kargil war. You may go through this link to find the list of names of Army and Airforce martyres and the story of each one of their bravery.

The Heroes of Kargil---TRIBUTE

Yes, there are lots of air crashes during pilot training and other routine surveillance and may pilots are killed. And the Air Force conceals such news. Just few of those incidents are published and the rest are not.

sorry ravi,

saravanan was the officer who came home when i was in chennai.

the other officer, a pattar, came i think, from kerala somewhere.

sorry for the confusion

no matter who what where, these are ours own - indians. who performed the ultimate sacrifice for the country.

no amount of gratitude will make for that loss.

Jai Hind.

Dear friends,
Another example in this topic, 26/11 martyr Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan

Sandeep died trying to save me: NSG commando
NSG commando Rajveer Singh owes his life to Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan, who died in the Mumbai terror attack. Part of the NSG team sent to Mumbai on November 27 to conduct rescue operations and tackle the terrorist attack, Singh, 33, was injured in the firing on the fourth floor of the hotel. He is now recuperating from two bullet injuries on his feet and arm. Fourteen NSG commandos entered Taj Mahal Hotel after receiving information that three terrorists were holed up in the luxury hotel. Working in small teams, they entered the through the roof. Having covered the sixth and fifth floors, they were heading towards the fourth floor when they received information that the three suspected terrorists, dressed in red, blue and green T-shirts, were in room number 471. “We used the master key to open the door and asked if there were people inside. We asked them to surrender, but when the door was opened, there was a man dressed in red who stared at me and refused to co-operate,” recalled Singh. Describing the man as a 30-35-year-old wearing a red shirt with white lining, Singh said he looked around and fumbled for a firearm. Before there could be any communication, another person dressed in a blue shirt came from the bedroom and fired. Source: http://www.indianexpress.com/news

Dear friends,
Another example in this topic, 26/11 martyr Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan

Sandeep died trying to save me: NSG commando
NSG commando Rajveer Singh owes his life to Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan, who died in the Mumbai terror attack. Part of the NSG team sent to Mumbai on November 27 to conduct rescue operations and tackle the terrorist attack, Singh, 33, was injured in the firing on the fourth floor of the hotel. He is now recuperating from two bullet injuries on his feet and arm. Fourteen NSG commandos entered Taj Mahal Hotel after receiving information that three terrorists were holed up in the luxury hotel. Working in small teams, they entered the through the roof. Having covered the sixth and fifth floors, they were heading towards the fourth floor when they received information that the three suspected terrorists, dressed in red, blue and green T-shirts, were in room number 471. “We used the master key to open the door and asked if there were people inside. We asked them to surrender, but when the door was opened, there was a man dressed in red who stared at me and refused to co-operate,” recalled Singh. Describing the man as a 30-35-year-old wearing a red shirt with white lining, Singh said he looked around and fumbled for a firearm. Before there could be any communication, another person dressed in a blue shirt came from the bedroom and fired. Source: http://www.indianexpress.com/news

Dear Anandi,

You have reminded me of this incident too, that had hurt me to the extreme..

It hurt me too much when I came to know that this great worrior's bravery was not honoured by Kerala C M V.S.Achuthanandan. But was happy to note that, the father of Major Sandeep, Mr.Unnikrishnan who is a ISRO retired official, insulted the CM in retaliation in his Bangalore residence.

You may wish to go through this link, to know more about this incident and how nasty many of the Indian politicians are in some way or other.

http://www.sify.com/news/slain-commando-s-father-snubs-kerala-cm-news-national-jegvhufhbci.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back