• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A Brahmin cultured person

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kindly go through the following link;
Tamil-English Web magazine for Brahmins relating philosophical, social, religious, puranic and vedic issues

The name of the Brahmin Character involved in this piece is Easwara Chandra Vidya Sagar. He helped one poor needy brahmin, even wthout the knowledge of the beneficiary. On knowing the genuineness of the need of the poor brahmin, he remitted the amount the poor brahmin had to pay to the court to clear off his debt. Though the poor person tried to know from whom he got this help, he could not, because of the specil arrangements so made by Easwara Chandra Vidhya sagar. This is the way how any help is to be done to the needy.

The above is one page of November 2007 issue of Brahmin Today magazine, a bi-lingual monthly magazine. I am a regular reader of this Magazine. The name of the website of the magazine is Tamil-English portal of art, knowledge, stories and poems, in which issues from November 2007 upto March 2009 are available. Issues from April 2009 are yet to be posted in the website. This does not have any relation or connection with *******.

Thank you for the info. I did visit the site /mag and found to be good effort.

soundra,

perhaps, easwar, was a cultured person, who incidentally was also a brahmin?

the reason i am saying this, is first, a cultured person, however you define him, i think, should be valued for his or her own sake.

second, a brahmin, need not necessarily be valued for being a brahmin. i consider it as an identity passed on from my parents, and do not put any value or hierarchical connotations to it.

in this context, a 'brahmin cultured person' appears to put his brahminic identity before his humanity.

personally, i would switch the adjectives. if you don't mind.

soundra,

perhaps, easwar, was a cultured person, who incidentally was also a brahmin?

the reason i am saying this, is first, a cultured person, however you define him, i think, should be valued for his or her own sake.

second, a brahmin, need not necessarily be valued for being a brahmin. i consider it as an identity passed on from my parents, and do not put any value or hierarchical connotations to it.

in this context, a 'brahmin cultured person' appears to put his brahminic identity before his humanity.

personally, i would switch the adjectives. if you don't mind.
I second your thoughts, but with a difference - we generally place adjectives on a person based on habits and behaviour which is being practised consistently. Normally it is assumed that a brahmin is one with good habits and clarity of thought. Culture is associated with it. If we look it this way, it really does not matter which way one puts the adjective!
icon7.gif

A cultured person

Kunjuppu ji,

Your views are absolutely right. Obviously, Easwara Vidhya sagar, by birth, was a cultured brahmin, and hence this becomes a special matter for brahmin readers/viewers. Noted your point that good people can be from any origin and we should view it as 'rose is a rose, by whatever name we call it'. Adjectives are always 'exaggeration' and need not be taken at face value.

Thanks & Regrds for all viewers.

I second your thoughts, but with a difference - we generally place adjectives on a person based on habits and behaviour which is being practised consistently. Normally it is assumed that a brahmin is one with good habits and clarity of thought. Culture is associated with it. If we look it this way, it really does not matter which way one puts the adjective!
icon7.gif

saptha,

i agree to agree and disagree. now does it make a difference, whether agreeing comes first? or disagreeing? how do you read it?

wordsmithing is indeed a fascinating exercise.

to give you a completely unrelated example: people in the u.s. or canada, with naturalized citizenships are called hyphenated citizens eg. indian-american, filipino-american, chinese-canadian, german-canadian etc.

except for the jews: it is always american jews or canadian jews. very seldom have i heard jewish canadian or jewish american?

there is a subtle (and very deep) value system exercised here, and i think, it is not in favour of the jews, and is more a reflection of ancient prejudices, which today is continued without giving much thought.

it was in this context i argued for the primacy of humanity over identity.

hope that explains..thanks

A cultured person

Kunjuppu ji,

Your views are absolutely right. Obviously, Easwara Vidhya sagar, by birth, was a cultured brahmin, and hence this becomes a special matter for brahmin readers/viewers. Noted your point that good people can be from any origin and we should view it as 'rose is a rose, by whatever name we call it'. Adjectives are always 'exaggeration' and need not be taken at face value.

Thanks & Regrds for all viewers.

It happened more than four decades back during my school days. I travel by a private bus from my village to nearby town for schooling. The bus operator issued a monthly pass with separate columns up and down journey. The conductor use to sign in the specified column in the bus pass. By mistake a conductor has signed in the down trip instead of up trip. I didn't notice it. Regular conductors would have allowed me since they know me. That particular day, a new conductor was posted and he objected for my travel. Since I didn't had money, the conductor was about to drop me in the midway. But an unknown muslim gentleman came forward and bought ticket for me.

I am always greatful that gentleman

I take pride in calling brahmins cultured !

ALL GREAT VIRTUES PRESCRIBED IN ANY RELIGION are taught in Brahmin families !

But there's just a small discrepancy here ! -- Over the period of years it has gradually been forgotten that it will be easier for an offspring to understand and follow time proven practices handed over by their parents , IF ONLY , the PREACHER practices atleast - 70-80 % of whatever he preaches !

Here is a missing link ! in my opinion !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back