• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

60 second interview with Swami Vivekananda

Status
Not open for further replies.
vivekananda.jpg

Q: Swamiji , Namasthe and Vanakkam. Let me begin the interview with a question on football. Why did you say youths should play foot ball rather than reading Bhagavad Gita?

A: “First of all, our young must be strong. Religion will come afterwards. Be strong, my young friends; that is my advice to you. You will be nearer to Heaven through foot ball than through study of Gita”

Q: Swami, people are even scared of going in the night time!
The moment you fear, you are nobody. It is fear that is the greatest cause of misery in the world. It is fear that is the greatest of all superstitions. It is fear that is the cause of our woes, and it is fearlessness that brings heaven in a moment “The earth is enjoyed by heroes”—this is the unfailing truth. Be a hero. Always say, “I have no fear.”

Q: Are there ghosts?
A: Be strong! Don’t talk of ghosts and devils. We are the living devils. The sign of life is strength and growth. The sign of death is weakness. Whatever is weak, avoid! It is death. If it is strength, go down into hell and get hold of it! There is salvation only for the brave.

Q: Will God give us whatever we ask for?

Answer:
“When I Asked God for Strength
He Gave Me Difficult Situations to Face

When I Asked God for Brain & Brown
He Gave Me Puzzles in Life to Solve

When I Asked God for Happiness
He Showed Me Some Unhappy People

When I Asked God for Wealth
He Showed Me How to Work Hard

When I Asked God for Favours
He Showed Me Opportunities to Work Hard

When I Asked God for Peace
He Showed Me How to Help Others

God Gave Me Nothing I Wanted
He Gave Me Everything I Needed.”

What is the formula for success?

Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success.

What is your message to our youths?
Brave, bold people, these are what we want. What we want is vigour in the blood, strength in the nerves, iron muscles and nerves of steel, not softening namby-pamby ideas. Avoid all these. Avoid all mystery. There is no mystery in religion.
There are hundreds of thousands of microbes surrounding us, but they cannot harm us unless we become weak, until the body is ready and predisposed to receive them. There may be a million microbes of misery floating about us. Never mind! They dare not approach us, they have no power to get a hold on us, until the mind is weakened. This is the great fact: strength is life. Weakness is death. Strength is felicity, life eternal, and immortal. Weakness is constant strain and misery: weakness is death

Q: We have so many great religious leaders and Gurus. Which one should we follow?
A: In Buddha we had the great, universal heart and infinite patience, making religion practical and bringing it to everyone’s door. In Shankaracharya we saw tremendous intellectual power, throwing the scorching light of reason upon everything. We want today that bright sun of intellectuality joined with the heart of Buddha, the wonderful infinite heart of love and mercy. This union will give us the highest philosophy. Science and religion will meet and shake hands. Poetry and philosophy will become friends. What! Those giants of old, the ancient Rishis, who never walked but strode, of whom if you were to think but for a moment you would shrivel up into a moth, they sir, had time--and you have no time!

Q: What is the role of India in the world?

A: "It is the same India which has withstood the shocks of centuries, of hundreds of foreign invasions, of hundreds of upheavals, of manners and customs. It is the same land, which stands firmer than any rock in the world, with its undying vigour, indestructible life. Its life is of the same nature as the soul, without beginning and without end, immortal; and we are the children of such a country."
“This is the ancient land, where wisdom made its home before it went into any other country… Here is the same India whose soil has been trodden by the feet of the greatest sages that ever lived… Look back, therefore, as far as you can, drink deep of the eternal fountains that are behind, and after that look forward, march forward, and make India brighter, greater, much higher, than she ever was.”

Q: What can a poor man do in this world?
A: They alone live who live for others. The rest are more dead than alive. In the world take always the position of the giver. Give everything and look for no return. Give love, give help, give service, and give any little thing you can, but keep out barter. Make no conditions and none will be imposed. Let us give out of our own bounty, just as God gives to us.

Q: What is the use of meditation?
A: In real meditation you forget the body. You may be cut to pieces and not feel it at all. You feel such pleasure in it. You become so light. This perfect rest we will get in meditation. Meditation means the mind is turned back upon itself. The mind stops all the thought-waves and the world stops. Your consciousness expands. Every time you meditate you will keep your growth.
The greatest help to spiritual life is meditation. In meditation we divest ourselves of all material conditions and feel our divine nature. We do not depend upon any external help in meditation.

Thanks, Swamiji.

Swamiji,
Please explain, is sleeping a sought of meditation? since when we sleep we forget ourselves, feels fresh when we get up mind forgets body ?

Swamiji,
Please explain, is sleeping a sought of meditation? since when we sleep we forget ourselves, feels fresh when we get up mind forgets body ?

I am no swamiji but just trying to answer.

Good question..

Well sleep can be divided into REM sleep and Non REM sleep or also known as Svapna state and Sushupti state.

In Svapna state there are dreams and in Sushupti state it is deep sleep without dreams.

In Svapna state of sleep one's mind is not in state of equal mindedness cos thought waves and brain waves are being formed and so is also Rapid Eye Movement owing to impressions formed in the brain due to dreams.
Its like a ocean with waves.

In meditation one is supposed to be equal minded with calming of all mind waves like a calm ocean without waves.

So I would not want to equate Svapna state of sleep with meditation.

Coming to Sushupti state of sleep, mind and senses are not acting and we are not aware of our higher consciousness.

In meditation its almost like deep sleep too but the difference is in meditation we are aware of our higher consciousness and meditation takes place when we are awake.

In short Meditation is a state where one is "asleep" to the outer world but "awake" to the inner world(consciousness)

some what like Chapter 2 stanza 69 of Geeta.

ya nisha sarva-bhutanam tasyam jagarti samyami
yasyam jagrati bhutani sa nisa pasyato muneh

That which is day to the many is night to the sage,That which is night to the many is day to the sage.

Last edited:
Dear Gopalan kannan

Sleep and Meditation :Both are definitely different.In sleep your body gets rest physically.
In meditation your mind gets rest from external wanderings.
As Swami Vivekananda explains you grow every time (spiritually) you meditate.
When you keep on doing it ,all bad/silly thoughts will come disturb you in the first place.
Then great temptations will come to you.
You will attain some magical powers such as reading others thoughts etc.
Next stage you will become s swamiji attracting a lot of devotees.
Even now your pride or magical powers will try to mislead you.
If you go beyond this level you will become a real Ramana, Ramkrishna,Vivekananda or Kanchi Mahaperiyavar.
Even if people sit in front of you they will get the answers for their questions.
It is very difficult to reach this stage.
One in a million will go to this stage.
Swami Vishnu Devananda and Swami Sivananda have written about Meditation in simple terms.
If you read such books you will understand better.
Swami Vivekananda's Rajayoga also gives very good information.
Please read my articles in my blog section of Tamilbrahmins about DO OUR DREAMS HAVE ANY MEANING? and YOU CAN DO MIRACLES.
Both these articles give more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back