• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

16 Vegetarian-Only Restaurants In Chennai

Status
Not open for further replies.
16 Vegetarian-Only Restaurants In Chennai

Chennai is a city that offers tons of eating-out options to vegetarians looking for a good south Indian thali (or meals, as they are known to locals) or an idli-dosa meal. But when it comes to casual dining or fine dining, if you think there aren't many vegetarian-only places to eat, you'd be wrong. Read on for our list of vegetarian restaurants in Chennai.

Dario's

ti_725_2594.3975895341.jpg

Image credit: Dario's

A restaurant with both indoor and outdoor sections, Dario's provides a pretty setting for its delicious veg-only Italian delicacies. Trust us, even non-vegetarians will love the food at Dario's.

Cuisine:
Italian

Cost for two:
Rs 1200

Tasteation

ti_725_5999.2636895341.jpg

Image credit: Samir Nanavati

This place is relatively new to the city, and has quirky decor to make your casual dining experience even more fun. An old house converted into a cafe-style restaurant, Tasteation has the potential to become a Chennai vegetarian mainstay.

Cusine:
North Indian, Mexican, Mediterranean

Cost for two:
Rs 600

Eden
ti_725_5994.7776895341.jpg

Image credit: Harrisons Hotel

An old Chennai favourite, Eden is a great place to enjoy a continental meal (though they do have other cuisines too) that's all-vegetarian. It mostly sees a family crowd and makes for a pleasant lunch or dinner out at either of its outlets.

PS. You have to try their corn on toast!

Cuisine:
Continental, North Indian, South Indian, Italian

Cost for two:
Rs 750

Pind

ti_725_3118.3297895341.jpg

Image credit: Pind

With dhaba-like decor and a suitably rustic (pind means village) look, Pind is Velachery's favourite for north Indian and Punjabi food.

Cuisine:
Punjabi, North Indian

Cost for two:
Rs 800

Amdavadi

ti_725_139.0087895341.jpg

Image credit: Amdavadi

Non-Chennaiites may be surprised to learn that the city has a pretty sizeable Gujarati population, so it's a little surprising that it took this long for an eatery serving Gujarati snacks and food to pop up. Amdavadi positions itself as a snacks (not to be confused with snakes) place, and their offerings are yum, to say the least.

Cuisine:
Gujarati

Cost for two:
Rs 600

Mahamudra

ti_725_775.2677895341.jpg

Image credit: Isha Life

Part of the Isha Life Wellness Centre, where you'll find a yoga studio, spa and restaurants, Mahamudra serves vegetarian south Indian food all day long. With an art and crafts boutique and seating in multiple spaces, Mahamudra is a place that makes health food enjoyable.

Cuisine:
South Indian

Cost for two:
Rs 700

Annalakshmi

ti_725_3430.0957895341.jpg

Image credit: Bharathi Call Taxi

Annalakshmi is a restaurant that might be targeted towards foreign tourists, but that doesn't mean Chennaiites and visitors from other Indian cities won't enjoy it. They have a buffet with all kinds of south Indian delicacies that have to be tasted to be believed, and that's why it's still extremely popular after so many years.

Cuisine:
South Indian, North Indian

Cost for two:
Rs 1000

Cream Centre

ti_725_47432739895341.jpg

Image credit: Prasad Dalal

The Mumbai-based chain made its debut in Chennai quite a few years ago, and is still as popular and packed as ever. It's become rather pricey of late, but their chhole bhature and nachos are to die for, and if you've never been to a Cream Centre, you're missing something.

Cuisine:
North Indian, Mexican, Italian

Cost for two:
Rs 1600

Nungambakkam, RA Puram, Anna Nagar, Vadapalani

http://www.polkacafe.com/best-vegetarian-restaurants-in-chennai-1634.html

Balance 8 is Here!!!

Kaidi Kitchen

ti_725_6817.3937895341.jpg

Image credit: Kaidi Kitchen

This jail-themed restaurant sure makes for an interesting dining experience, and doesn't lose focus on what's really important: the food. From Thai to Italian to Lebanese, they've got a range of cuisines, all of which you can enjoy while sitting in this unique prison setting.

Cuisine:
Thai, Italian, Mexican, North Indian, Lebanese, Chinese

Cost for two:
Rs 1500

Jalpaan

ti_725_6893.8439895341.jpg

Image credit: Evening Flavors

Their impressive interiors and tasty north Indian dishes keep the city's vegetarian foodies coming back for more. It's known to be a rather loud place, so if that sort of thing can get to you, maybe going with a loud family of your own is the only way to survive it!

Cuisine:
North Indian, Italian

Cost for two:
Rs 900

Fusilli Reasons

ti_725_43.6037895341.jpg

Image credit: Hungry Forever

A tiny joint serving pasta at amazingly low prices and soft drinks in little glass bottles, it's a no-brainer that Fusilli Reasons is popular among young people in the city. It can get really crowded, though, so try to go at odd hours or get there early on weekends.

Cuisine:
Italian

Cost for two:
Rs 300

Flower Drum

ti_725_3135.9727895341.jpg

Image credit: Vicky Rg

Flower Drum is one of those rare creatures – an all-vegetarian Chinese restaurant – that we're sure many vegetarians have yearned for. Serving good old Indian Chinese in a way that makes more particular vegetarians quite comfortable, Flower Drum has a band of loyal fans who are ready to launch into praising mode at a moment's notice.

Cuisine:
Chinese

Cost for two:
Rs 700

Kailash Parbat

ti_725_1402.9128895341.jpg

Image credit: Kailash Parbat

Another Mumbai-based chain, Kailash Parbat is one of those places you can visit for a meal, where you know you'll always be served the same old yummy food. Their street food and chat are fan favourites.

Cuisine:
North Indian, Street Food

Cost for two:
Rs 600

Little Italy

ti_725_848.7558895341.jpg

Image credit: Salvi Shrivastava/Pokeyournose

A reliable vegetarian haven, you know you can go to a Little Italy in any city and have a great pasta or pizza. Their menu is extensive, so you're bound to find a few dishes you'll love even if you're a picky eater.

Cuisine:
Italian, Mexican

Cost for two:
Rs 1300

Besant Nagar, Anna Nagar, Nungambakkam, ECR

Royal Indianaa

ti_725_1588.7958895341.jpg

Image credit: India PR Wire

A south Indian and north Indian fine dining experience, Royal Indianaa at the Accord Metropolitan is a place vegetarians should keep in mind for celebrations and special occasions. They have an especially elaborate buffet with a big spread.

Cuisine:
South Indian, North Indian

Cost for two:
Rs 1500

Delhi Highway

ti_725_155.6768895341.jpg

Image credit: Eatwitheyes

Relatively new to the Chennai food scene, Delhi Highway serves, as you may have guessed, north Indian food and street food. It's nearly always crowded, which just goes to show how much the city's foodies love it.

Cuisine:
North Indian, Street Food

Cost for two:
Rs 900

http://www.polkacafe.com/best-vegetarian-restaurants-in-chennai-1634.html

Thanks for the list PJ Sir though I do not like these Elite restaurants ( as I prefere normal Woodlands , Saravana Bhavan , Sangeeta Type ) but when I have visitors from aborad I would like to take them to some of these Elite ones . The other missing one here in the Elite Category list here is NOVELTY TEA HOUSE in Mylapore .

These are all elite restaurants...I prefer the Thanjavur sappadu at Woodlands (Mylapore)!
That makes two of us. I am a fan of tanjore mess.

Even their rates have slowly gone up in last couple of years.

Still within reach of middle class.

It is one of the few decent clean veg cuisine for lunch in chennai.

That makes two of us. I am a fan of tanjore mess.

Even their rates have slowly gone up in last couple of years.

Still within reach of middle class.

It is one of the few decent clean veg cuisine for lunch in chennai.

Their keerai masiyal is similar to what my grandma used to prepare...Excellent

Dear PJ sir,

All these restaurants look too posh.

I do not like posh restaurants.

Firstly its so dimly lit..then waiters talk too softly.

Then the food takes too long to arrive.

I do not like a too classy atmosphere cos music too will be soft music.

I like a restaurant that is simple..clean and fast service and music too will be latest Tamil or Hindi movie songs.

All these classy places charge too much and food isnt always tasty.

In a classy restaurant a one has to a fake..in a simple restaurant one can just relax and be our selves.

PJ Sir if possible rename this thread as ELITE/ POSH PURE VEG RESTAURANTS IN CHENNAI and might be in a later thread we can discuss about the normal pure Veg restaurants in Chennai . But thanks for posting this as I never knew about some of these restaurants and came to know of the same after seeing this thread .

All these classy places charge too much and food isnt always tasty.

Renukaji what you say is true but some of my NRI cousins / friends from abroad feel suffocated in a normal restaurant especially foreigners who ask me why do everyone keep staring at them ( in normal restaurants ) as though they are people from Mars .They feel comfortbale in these sort of Posh Restaurants that gives them more privacy and also one can sit here for hours without being disturbed unlike normal restaurants where people keep standing by ur side and if you get up even to use the loo someone will occupy your seat .
So both have their own plus and minus and it all depends on what you are going for . If you want to have a relaxed conversation with your friend / family member / Professional collegaue then these Posh restaurants are good but if you want to eat a good meal then the normal crowded restaurants are the best . So better to know about both these restaurants .

Thanks for the list PJ Sir though I do not like these Elite restaurants ( as I prefere normal Woodlands , Saravana Bhavan , Sangeeta Type ) but when I have visitors from aborad I would like to take them to some of these Elite ones . The other missing one here in the Elite Category list here is NOVELTY TEA HOUSE in Mylapore .
hi

i prefer ....saravana bhavan/karpagam/woodlands in mylapore....ratna cafe in triplicane.....ratna cafe in t nagar bus stand....

adayar ananda bhavan/sangeetha in adayar........das prakash in egmore....

I prefer Anandha Bhavan (Saligramam), Wood lands (Mylapore), Saravana Bhavan (T.Nagar) ..Also Dasaprakash(Chetpet)....

I have had experiences in eating at many of the elite hotels including 5 stars;

but the taste of dishes and the hospitality shown in some brahmin " kai yenthi bhavans " in some small and medium towns, could not be explained in words ; it could only be experienced with.
Many of us would have experienced this, in our lives.

I have had experiences in eating at many of the elite hotels including 5 stars;

but the taste of dishes and the hospitality shown in some brahmin " kai yenthi bhavans " in some small and medium towns, could not be explained in words ; it could only be experienced with.
Many of us would have experienced this, in our lives.
hi

i like college mess in madurai.....mangalambiga in kumbakonam.....annapoorna/gauri dahankar in coimbatore....rayar hotel in kutchey

road, mylapore.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back