• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

10 things of Modern India that I am proud of

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

I am reproducing from an article on the Internet. I have given reference at the articles. Please trad the article. Thanks
My list may be different, please post your list.

1) Delhi Metro
2) Technopark, Trivandrum
3) Inorbit Mall, Mumbai
4) Narayan Hrudayalaya, Bangalore
5) Indian Railways
6) Indian Institutes of Technology, India
7) The IIMs and ISB
8) Spirituality and its modern methods
9) The Golden Quadrilateral, East-West and North-South Corridors
10) The Spirit of India- Be it any era in the history, India has been noted to embrace everyone who came to her. We are the most diverse nation on earth. We speak hundreds of languages, live in every imaginable terrain, practice every religion that exists on earth, are spread out over all the countries on the globe, eat varied food that nature has to offer but still call ourselves by one name -INDIANS. India is changing, faster than the world around her. In the times to come, we will be basking in the glory that we lost 3 centuries back; the only thing which each one of us has to realize is- We are strong as one, as Indians. No other identity precedes this. The future is ours, to be built in the present and we are on the right track.

10 things of Modern India that I am proud of « Anything and Everything
1652.jpg

Food - the great unifier

Mr. Prasad, I hope you won't mind if I post 10 more things to the list.

1. Bhel puri
  2. Puliyogare / Puliodharai
  3. Makki di roti
  4. Sarson da saag
  5. Masala dosa
  6. Gobi manchurian
  7. Thayir sadam
  8. Rosogolla
  9. Shrikand
  10. Pan
Seriously, I think what unites India is the love for food, even across all regions.

1. Bhel puri
  3. Makki di roti
  4. Sarson da saag
  5. Masala dosa
  6. Gobi manchurian
  7. Thayir sadam
  8. Rosogolla
  9. Shrikand
  10. Pan
Seriously, I think what unites India is the love for food, even across all regions.

biswa,

sub gobi manchurian with kadhai panneer & baasundhi with shrikand (?) and i am with you mate :)

Last edited:
  1. Bhel puri
  3. Makki di roti
  4. Sarson da saag
  5. Masala dosa
  6. Gobi manchurian
  7. Thayir sadam
  8. Rosogolla
  9. Shrikand
  10. Pan

Gobi Manchurian I can do without, Makki Ki Roti, and Sarsoon Ka Sag is my wife's is favorite. Ransgolla and Srikand I love but can not eat. and of course pan the ever favorite. Good collection Biswa.

Last edited:
I had included Gobi Manchurian as a nod to the younger generation. Personally, I would be quite satisfied with brinjal pakora or even potato/peas samosa.

Typical Brahmin site, has to gravitate towards food. I was hoping for Institutions that we are proud of. LOL

Typical Brahmin site, has to gravitate towards food. I was hoping for Institutions that we are proud of. LOL

seriously, is food not an institution? can we live without food? is it not food that makes us? :)

.. and what do you mean by 'typical' brahmin site. please show some examples of brahmin sites.. and how appear 'typical'. i am just curious that's all. no offence meant, in any manner.

thank you.

seriously, is food not an institution? can we live without food? is it not food that makes us? :)

.. and what do you mean by 'typical' brahmin site. please show some examples of brahmin sites.. and how appear 'typical'. i am just curious that's all. no offence meant, in any manner.

thank you.

Not site, Typical Brahmin. Brahmin Bhojan priya. As my mother would call it.

I second Mr. Kunjuppu. Food is the most long-standing of institutions.

I have seen when Americans encounter Indians, the discussion inevitably veers towards food, followed by Bollywood, and then perhaps software outsourcing.

prasad,

it is not only us as a community, who are 'bhojana priyans'.

every community is such. a fanaticism on food.

i follow a blogger named athisha, a hindu, a nominal one anyway, i think. recently, he had a blog, on the sumptuousness of beef. how nothing in the world tasted as good as beef.

fyi, in tamil nadu and kerala, hindu communities do eat local beef. it is only the north indian cows that are considered sacred :)

humour apart, even a non beef eater, once he reads athisha's blog, would be tempted to taste the forbidden. the point here, is that , we do not know about other communities of india, particularly the non veg cuisines of the various tamil or kerala communities. each is different, with a history and taste of its own.

i have not url'd athisha's link here, bending over to the sensitivities of the religious folks in this forum. it is not my intention to mock or insult or blasphemy any group, esp our own, here. i hope, to show, that the world is different, and just as we expect others to appreciate our cuisine, so too, we must reciprocate.

i, for one, would stick to my vetha kozhambu and paruppu thoyal for my comfort food, irrespective of what turns athisha or anyone else ON. :)

I enjoyed reading this thread. Since food is already covered by Brahmin Gourmets here (at least one that I know of), I am listing my own favorite Indian stuff (I was not exposed much to the 'North' when I spent my first 23 years there, but having lived in the USA for the past 41 years, let me provide a list that is based on nostalgia). But some food will intrude here as well.

1. Sense of humor even with dire poverty of the people
2. Friendships that go deep
3. Miracle of traffic! How do you get to your destination?!!!
4. Music (all kinds - Carnatic/Hindustani/Cine)
5. Flashes of kindness, in the middle of an ocean of selfishness
Now starts the food part:
6. Soft fluffy idlis with fresh coconut chutney
7. Mangoes of all kinds (especially Malgova, Banganapalli and Alphonso, as well as Maavudu, not necessarily in that order)
8. Unique bananas, like Malai and Rasthali
9. Michael's ice cream in Trichy
10. And last, but not least, Hinduism, my religion, which constantly surprises me by it's breadth and allows me to grow each day as a human I want to become.

Regards,
KRS

Last edited:
3. Miracle of traffic! How do you get to your destination?!!!
4. Music (all kinds - Carnatic/Hindustani/Cine)
5. Flashes of kindness, in the middle of an ocean of selfishness
Now starts the food part:
6. Soft fluffy idlis with fresh coconut chutney
7. Mangoes of all kinds (especially Malgova, Banganapalli and Alphonso, as well as Maavudu, not necessarily in that order)
8. Unique bananas, like Malai and Rasthali
10. And last, but not least, Hinduism, my religion, which constantly surprises me by it's breadth and allows me to grow each day as a human I want to become.

Regards,
KRS

Wonderful additions to my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back