• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

வெளிச்செண்ணெய் - wonder drug

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

வெளிச்செண்ணெய் - wonder drug

for non pattars, it is தேங்காய் எண்ணை; ie coconut oil.

the video explains the wonder nature of coconut oil in slowing down the effects of alzheimers, and also promotes it, for the same, for parkinson, als, and such neuro based diseases.

the proponent is a medical doctor, but the network is christian broadcasting. for those of you, suspicious of anything christian, take this with a grain of salt.

[video]http://www.cbn.com/media/player/index.aspx?s=/mp4/LJO190v1_WS[/video]

Dear Sir,

Thanks for posting this informative video. The coconut oil is mixed straightaway in food! Wonder what will happen if we heat it up!

Most of the Keralites have long and shiny hair because of 'veLichcheNNai' applied everyday before their head bath.

More of its uses are found by research. Feel like eating 'aviyal' more frequently, since we do not heat this oil to boil!

Regards.........

Dear Raji ji,

You know some people have shiny hair becos its greasy from all the residue build up of repeated application of oil..sometimes the residue build up doesnt lend a nice smell too.

.You know some people have shiny hair becos its greasy from all the residue build up of repeated application of oil..sometimes the residue build up doesnt lend a nice smell too.
Dear Renu,

When I go to crowded temples in Kerala, I have experienced that yukky smell from quite a few ladies, in spite of their daily head

bath. But coconut oil helps growth of thick and dark hair, for sure.

Could you please tell us whether coconut oil, brought to boiling point while cooking, is bad for health? One cardiologist has

told that any oil used in cooking is bad for health, as a matter of fact!

Raji :)

Coconut oil is always under constant debate.
Actually any oil if it gets hydrogenated its structure changes to trans fatty acid.
Trans fatty acid is the main culprit that increases LDL and impedes body to utilize HDL.

Only Virgin Coconut oil is safe to use.
(but we dont know what coconuts do at night!! LOL..just joking)

Virgin Coconut Oil is oil extracted from well matured fresh coconut flesh by natural means.

Click on this link lots of info about Virgin Coconut Oil:

Virgin Coconut Oil, Coconut Oil, VCO, Coconut Oil Info

Sowbagyavathy Renuka, Greetings.

Anything virgin is very good.... ahm.. I mean virgin oil like olive oil or coconut oil. But they are are good only to be used at room temperature or only slightly elevated temperature.

Mrs.R banned most of the oils from the kitchen..."oils ain't oils"....... Ricebran oil is the only oil allowed for my cooking. But I have no problem though.. it tastes great! It is healthy. Matter of fact, I would recommend thatoil to all the ladies.

Cheers!

.......... Ricebran oil is the only oil allowed for my cooking. But I have no problem though.. it tastes great! It is healthy. Matter of fact, I would recommend thatoil to all the ladies.
Oh! Raghy Sir! Don't ever tell me about ricebran oil.. Heating that oil produces some kind of smell similar to the odour

while crossing a fish market! I gave a kg of that oil I bought about a year back, to my servant, soon after the first use!

Regards............

Oh! Raghy Sir! Don't ever tell me about ricebran oil.. Heating that oil produces some kind of smell similar to the odour

while crossing a fish market! I gave a kg of that oil I bought about a year back, to my servant, soon after the first use!

Regards............

Sowbagyavathy Raji Ram, Greetings.

Really? Where did you buy that oil? I just finished 4 litres of oil. I will be opening the next tin tomorrow. I cooked somany various dishes.... including once புடலங்காய் பருப்பு அரைத்தது! Not only that, almost everyone at my work have tasted at least one dish cooked by that oil. Everyone liked it!

Could there be a contamination in the oil used by you? I stopped buying olive oil after using this rice bran oil. It is that good. I was using olive oil for more than 8 years.

Cheers!

The quality of coconut varies according to the soil it grows on. It is all the mischief of the medical community to brand coconut as a saturated fat. The quality of coconut oil derived at Hawai will be different from that of Phlippines, indonesia or Malaysia. Even in India, there will be visible difference from the oil extracted in kerala from that derived from the produce of nagapattanam.
Oil derived from Copra alone is good. In kerala, coconuts are broken and dried in sun light and then oil derived. This produces a nasty smell after some days. the quality of this oil is really very bad. This oil is deodorised and used as lubricant, as I know. There is qualitative evaluation by any agency to compare the olefatic content of coconut oil derived from the produce of Hawai, Phlippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, srilanka and India. Coconut trees derive their nutrients through their roots which are on the soil.

Which cooking oil is the best?
The Verdict?
As long as you're using fats and oils sparingly in your cooking and preparation, it would be fine to use any one of the following "good" oils. All of the following oils are low in saturated fats and trans fats. Some have high concentration of monounsaturated fats such as olive oil. Choose safflower oil, sunflower oil, soy oil or canola oil if you wish to fry foods as these oils have higher smoke point. It is best not to fry with olive oil as its smoke point is only about 190C/375F.

• Good Cooking Oils:
    • canola oil
    • flax seed oil
    • peanut oil
    • olive oil
    • non-hydrogenated soft margarine
    • safflower oil
    • sunflower oil
The following "bad" oils contain high percentage of trans fat or saturated fats. Some, such as coconut oil, even contain more saturated fats than animal products!
If you wait long enough there will be new list published, depending on which lobby pays for the research.

Last edited:
hello ,a good topic for the day .in general any oil as a matter of fact that gets changed in consistency when there is a drop in climate condition & seems to freez /thicks are too bad for health ,as they lead to ATHEROSCLEROSIS ie ---hard & stiffing of blood vessels .oils like --ghee ,coconut oil ,palm oil ,vanaspaty , are risky to handle in terms of medical conditions .i agree with the lip smaking aroma of coconut oil in avail ,keerai maceeyal ,koootu /molagutul for seasoning .but using it for frying ,deep frying fop papadam ,vadams are not allowed in coconut oil .(pls pallakadu people do not mistake me ,even my inlaws side are pallakadu.) medically its property for hair &skin are very good ie --externally ,but internally ie --inside like eating too much & over usage are not healthy. 3 cheers.

Dear Sir,

I live in SingArach Chennai. Bought it from one of the supermarkets!!

Regards...........

Sowbagyavathy Raji Ram, Greetings.

The rice bran oil I used was made in Thailand. I am opening the second tin for tonight cooking. Like I said before, this oil doesn't remind me fish market or any such nasty smell. I seldom deep fry anything anyway. I mostly bake everything in the oven; pappadam are the only thing I deeep fry, but not very often anyway.

I notice Dr.C.Narayani liked your complaint; looks like you are not alone in complaining about the smell..... but, I haven't experienced it though.

Cheers!

hello raghy sir , it happens only we use it for frying appalams ,papadams. some times it smells very different ,not a famillar one .(medically its good to use , its smell does not make it palatable ).

Coconut oil was long treated as the devil himself in liquid form, with more poisonous artery-clogging, cholesterol-raising, heart-attack-causing saturated fat than butter.

The studies that led to this conclusion is an example of bad sloppy science. Early studies involving coconut oil were done (without the scientist realising it) with partially hydrogenated coconut oil which was the form in which it was commercially available when he bought it in the market for his research work. Partial hydrogenation creates dreaded trans fats, destroys many of the good essential fatty acids, antioxidants and other positive components present in virgin coconut oil.

Two groups have helped give coconut oil its sparkly new makeover. One is made up of newer group of scientists, many of whom are backtracking on the worst accusations against coconut oil. And the other is the growing number of vegans, who rely on it as a sweet vegetable fat that is solid at room temperature and can create flaky pie crusts, crumbly scones and fluffy cupcake icings, all without butter.

Virgin coconut oil has a nutty flavor, milder and richer tasting than butter, sweeter and lighter textured than lard, and without any of the bitterness sometimes found in olive oil.

According to Thomas Brenna, a professor of nutritional sciences at Cornell University who has extensively reviewed the literature on coconut oil, a considerable part of its stigma can be traced to one major factor.

“Most of the studies involving coconut oil were done with partially hydrogenated coconut oil, which researchers used because they needed to raise the cholesterol levels of their rabbits in order to collect certain data,” Dr. Brenna said. “Virgin coconut oil, which has not been chemically treated, is a different thing in terms of a health risk perspective. And maybe it isn’t so bad for you after all.”

And while it’s true that most of the fats in virgin coconut oil are saturated, opinions are changing on whether saturated fats are the arterial villains they were made out to be.

It turns out, not all saturated fats are created equal. Different types of saturated fats behave differently. The main saturated fat in coconut oil is lauric acid, a medium chain fatty acid. Medium chain fatty acids are in fact considered beneficial from a health point of view.

Lauric acid increases levels of good HDL, or high-density lipoprotein, and bad LDL, or low-density lipoprotein, in the blood, but is not thought to negatively affect the overall ratio of the two.

Dietary Guidelines recommend that no more than 10 percent of total dietary calories a day come from saturated fat. For a 2,000-calorie diet, that’s about 20 grams.

In short, Coconut is good, in moderation.

Coconut

Last edited:
Coconut oil was long treated as the devil himself in liquid form, with more poisonous artery-clogging, cholesterol-raising, heart-attack-causing saturated fat than butter.

The studies that led to this conclusion is an example of bad sloppy science. Early studies involving coconut oil were done (without the scientist realising it) with partially hydrogenated coconut oil which was the form in which it was commercially available when he bought it in the market for his research work. Partial hydrogenation creates dreaded trans fats, destroys many of the good essential fatty acids, antioxidants and other positive components present in virgin coconut oil.

Two groups have helped give coconut oil its sparkly new makeover. One is made up of newer group of scientists, many of whom are backtracking on the worst accusations against coconut oil. And the other is the growing number of vegans, who rely on it as a sweet vegetable fat that is solid at room temperature and can create flaky pie crusts, crumbly scones and fluffy cupcake icings, all without butter.

Virgin coconut oil has a nutty flavor, milder and richer tasting than butter, sweeter and lighter textured than lard, and without any of the bitterness sometimes found in olive oil.

According to Thomas Brenna, a professor of nutritional sciences at Cornell University who has extensively reviewed the literature on coconut oil, a considerable part of its stigma can be traced to one major factor.

“Most of the studies involving coconut oil were done with partially hydrogenated coconut oil, which researchers used because they needed to raise the cholesterol levels of their rabbits in order to collect certain data,” Dr. Brenna said. “Virgin coconut oil, which has not been chemically treated, is a different thing in terms of a health risk perspective. And maybe it isn’t so bad for you after all.”

And while it’s true that most of the fats in virgin coconut oil are saturated, opinions are changing on whether saturated fats are the arterial villains they were made out to be.

It turns out, not all saturated fats are created equal. Different types of saturated fats behave differently. The main saturated fat in coconut oil is lauric acid, a medium chain fatty acid. Medium chain fatty acids are in fact considered beneficial from a health point of view.

Lauric acid increases levels of good HDL, or high-density lipoprotein, and bad LDL, or low-density lipoprotein, in the blood, but is not thought to negatively affect the overall ratio of the two.

Dietary Guidelines recommend that no more than 10 percent of total dietary calories a day come from saturated fat. For a 2,000-calorie diet, that’s about 20 grams.

In short, Coconut is good, in moderation.

Coconut

One old and experienced doctor of Kanpur advised us that "live with what nature gives you in each place and use in moderation." That was when we found it difficult to like mustard oil which was the common man's oil there. We took to liking it in moderation, though for frying papad etc., we used coconut oil.

For the last 17 years we have been using coconut oil only and so far, no problem.

In Kerala there is this political rumour that palm oil import and bribes caused the utter publicity against coconut oil. But after deep frying for 3 times, the oil should not be reheated and used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back