• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

வெச்சா குடுமி சரச்சா மொட்டை

Status
Not open for further replies.
வெச்சா குடுமி சரச்சா மொட்டை

Dear Folks

I am starting a light hearted (!?) thread!! :) வெச்சா குடுமி சரச்சா மொட்டை!

What is the basis behind this phrase used commonly in most tamil brahmin households?

வெச்சா குடுமி might refer to the old (not age wise) typical brahmins and purohits who hold the குடுமி! So who does it refer to by the words 'சரச்சா மொட்டை'?

What does it mean, totally?

Kind regards

Dear Folks

I am starting a light hearted (!?) thread!! :) வெச்சா குடுமி சரச்சா மொட்டை!

What is the basis behind this phrase used commonly in most tamil brahmin households?

வெச்சா குடுமி might refer to the old (not age wise) typical brahmins and purohits who hold the குடுமி! So who does it refer to by the words 'சரச்சா மொட்டை'?

What does it mean, totally?

Kind regards

Smt. Valli,

I have understood this to refer this saying to refer to a situation in which whichever way your attempt ends, you don't lose anything. Its counterpart in Malayalam goes as "poyāl- veṟuṃ kallu, kiṭṭiyā māṅgā" (if it fails it is just a stone wasted, if it succeeds, it is mango". This refers to people picking up stone pieces from the roads and trying to bring down mango bunches from the trees, standing by the roadside.

Similarly, one has gone to (or called one home) a barber and does not know how good he is at his craft. But the brahmanan consoles himself வெச்சா குடுமி சரச்சா மொட்டை!- meaning, if he creates a kudumi it is OK but if by mistake he shaves off the existing kudumi also, I can say it was "moTTai pODuthal" for some vENDutal or something, either way there is no great loss!

hilarious title valli! :)

i am quite sure there are other equally funny quotes in tamil. :)

thanks sangom. till now, i had heard it, but had no clue what it meant...

In the past, as recent as 1950, all the communities had kudumi; trust brahmin entering the scene. I have seen many pictures of chettiars and mudaliars with kudumi. I remenber carpenters, wood cutters and jewelers having kudumi. Even today some maharashtrians and UPites have a token kudumi.

Smt. Valli,

I have understood this to refer this saying to refer to a situation in which whichever way your attempt ends, you don't lose anything. Its counterpart in Malayalam goes as "poyāl- veṟuṃ kallu, kiṭṭiyā māṅgā" (if it fails it is just a stone wasted, if it succeeds, it is mango". This refers to people picking up stone pieces from the roads and trying to bring down mango bunches from the trees, standing by the roadside.

Similarly, one has gone to (or called one home) a barber and does not know how good he is at his craft. But the brahmanan consoles himself வெச்சா குடுமி சரச்சா மொட்டை!- meaning, if he creates a kudumi it is OK but if by mistake he shaves off the existing kudumi also, I can say it was "moTTai pODuthal" for some vENDutal or something, either way there is no great loss!

மழித்தலும் நீட்டலும் வேண்டா உலகம்
பழித்தது ஒழித்து விடின்.

In the past, as recent as 1950, all the communities had kudumi; trust brahmin entering the scene. I have seen many pictures of chettiars and mudaliars with kudumi. I remenber carpenters, wood cutters and jewelers having kudumi. Even today some maharashtrians and UPites have a token kudumi.

Shri sarang,

I did not mean any disparagement to brahmanan in my post. But since the op said this is a very common cliche in TB households, I just wrote brahmanan. You are right, other castes also used to sport kudumis but in Kerala it was very rare.

Dear Prof. M S K Sir,
Nice link in your post #5. But it is difficult to read 'Thanglish' fast!! :ranger:

Regards...........

i view it as an adage to explain a bravery situation in which, one is content , raather ready to face with both the extremes.

for eg , i heard few people saying.. if I vote in life, i would only vote for amma, otherwise i wont go to polling booth.

if at all i live, i live a kings life in bungalow, but not in a thatched roof, rather sleep in platform.

in nutshell, its a bravery tone from the one who likes to live on extremes, be it good or bad.

Sowbagyavathy Valli, Greetings.

Sri. Nara's response is the most appropriate. The mozhi is 'வைத்தால் சிகை , சிரைத்தால் மொட்டை'! unfortunately, sigai has become 'kudumi'! Proverb is to denote an 'uncompromising person' by saying, ' வைத்தால் சிகை , சிரைத்தால் மொட்டை' with no possibilities of any 'middle grounds'.

Cheers!

Mrs. Valli:

This thread escaped my kudimi, sorry, attention!!

My father used to say a term which probably means the same thing : அதிவ்ரிஷ்டி, அனாவ்ரிஷ்டி

I believe it resembles a state of two extremes. One example that comes to my mind readily is the following:
Shewag just completed a world record of 219 in ODI, if he scores a duck in the next match, it could mean two extremes which is வச்சா குடிமி சரச்ச்சா மொட்டை!!

its basically indicating behaviour of a person who is at extremes in issues.no middle path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back