• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

வாதாபி கணபதி

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure every body has heard about வாதாபி கணபதி Thanks to Shri Dhiksitar for his great composition. But where is this Ganapathy?. where he composed this song? In Tiruvarur or Thiruchenkattukudi near Nannilam the birth place of Paranjothi later known as சிறுதொண்டர். This mornigs broadcast of this song rendered beautifully by Chembai raised this question in me. Jambu:noidea:

I am sure every body has heard about வாதாபி கணபதி Thanks to Shri Dhiksitar for his great composition. But where is this Ganapathy?. where he composed this song? In Tiruvarur or Thiruchenkattukudi near Nannilam the birth place of Paranjothi later known as சிறுதொண்டர். This mornigs broadcast of this song rendered beautifully by Chembai raised this question in me. Jambu:noidea:

Vaathabi Ganapathi is in Tiruvarur temple in the Thiagaraja Swamy Sannidhi. Muthusami Dikshidar composed the song on this Ganapathi only.

Saint Agasthiar carried this Ganapathi with him right from the time of bringing Tamil Language. This Ganapathi was responsible for finishing an Asura called `Vaathabi' & his brother and hence known as Vaathabi Ganapathi.

Paramacharyal has written a book about `Pillayar' and he has clearly written about the above.

All the best

I had an opportunity to visit thiruchengattangudi -there the ganesha is called the vadapi ganapathy-the priest told us that it is the one paranjothi brought from vadapi-i do not know about paramacharya's explanation, but i have heard many people referring to this ganapthy as vadapi ganapthy.
Balagopal

i read, that vatapi ganapathi - the vatapi is the chalukya capital (badami). on defeat by the pallavas, it was brought to tamil nadu.

Badami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hopefully, while the song is popular, it not being in tamil, us tamils while appreciating the tempo, do not quite grasp the words.

as a tamil, i am disappointed.

historically speaking, it is interesting to note the continuous battles between the chalukyas and the pallavas - two huge hindu empires, south of the vindhyas.

Please read Kalki's historical novel சிவகாமியின் சபதம்.

Please read Kalki's historical novel சிவகாமியின் சபதம்.
Sir my interest in this subject was kindled only after reading this great novel recently. I think it may be my 4th or 5th repeat reading after my college days But here you get an impression that Ganapathi was inducted in Tamil Nadu only after Paranjothi! Paramacharyas explanation should be taken in this context. My interest was to know where Dikshidar composed this song in Tiruvarur or in Tiruchengkattukudi? Most of the people including one in this forum has confirmed it is in Tiruvarur Jambu:horn:

Last edited:
i read, that vatapi ganapathi - the vatapi is the chalukya capital (badami). on defeat by the pallavas, it was brought to tamil nadu.

Badami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

hopefully, while the song is popular, it not being in tamil, us tamils while appreciating the tempo, do not quite grasp the words.

as a tamil, i am disappointed.

historically speaking, it is interesting to note the continuous battles between the chalukyas and the pallavas - two huge hindu empires, south of the vindhyas.

Music has no language Suppose this song is on Instrument Don't you Like it? some very popular Tamil songs will disappoint you more!! ஜாலிலோ ஜிம்கானா டோலிலோ கும்கானா I am sure you should have been whistling this tune in your youth! Is this தமிழ்? If not what is this Telugu Malayalam?. I do not think it is any language domain Enjoy music like Coke or simply do it as some one advises on ads.Jambu:hurt:

Last edited:
dear jambu,

you are a new delight to this forum. sorry i have :hurt: you.

let me explain. i still vividly remember the destruction of vatapi by narasimha varman, the death of pulikesi and the removal of the ganapati idol from vatapi - all as described in சிவகாமியின் சபதம் by kalki. this was in my teens, many many moons ago but i still get goose pimples.

so, i always wonder, if this song pays homage to the historical antecedents of the idol and paints the weight of history. or. is it just another ode to a deity in the revivalist mode of the carnatic trinity?

you are right. a song in any language should be appreciated. but we are tamils and muthuswamy was also a tamil. would it not have made sense to make these songs more understandable to people like me.

bharathiar's songs are sweet, but to me, they are sweeter still because they are written in tamil. why did muthuswamy or thyagaraja or syama sastri abandon their mother tongue?

please do not :hurt: for if you do , i too will :hurt:

thanks.

dear jambu,

you are a new delight to this forum. sorry i have :hurt: you.

let me explain. i still vividly remember the destruction of vatapi by narasimha varman, the death of pulikesi and the removal of the ganapati idol from vatapi - all as described in சிவகாமியின் சபதம் by kalki. this was in my teens, many many moons ago but i still get goose pimples.

so, i always wonder, if this song pays homage to the historical antecedents of the idol and paints the weight of history. or. is it just another ode to a deity in the revivalist mode of the carnatic trinity?

you are right. a song in any language should be appreciated. but we are tamils and muthuswamy was also a tamil. would it not have made sense to make these songs more understandable to people like me.

bharathiar's songs are sweet, but to me, they are sweeter still because they are written in tamil. why did muthuswamy or thyagaraja or syama sastri abandon their mother tongue?

please do not :hurt: for if you do , i too will :hurt:

thanks.
Dear we are in the same boat எனக்கு சமஸ்கிரதத்லே ஒரு அஷ்ஷரமும் தெரியாது. I should admit I know Tamil only. In English I may have a working knowledge but literary or spoken English is zero. I think in Tamil and then find suitable expression English Ref; My posting - தாதாக்கு இங்லீஷே தெரியல I try to gather & understand meaning nuances etc. Recently I heard Neyveli Santhana Gopalan"s
rendition of Dekshithars Meeenakshi may mudham Dehi in Poorvikayani (This has a different name in Dikshadhar sampradya) Even after an hour I could feel divine music in my inner self. Then I decided to gather the meaning of the song& got the following information from learned sources. When Dikshidhar was in his Death bed he asked his disciples to sing this song He was liberated from his mortal body exactly when the line Meenalochani Pasa Mochani was rendered ! Don"t be frustrated Try hard to get the meaning from correct person It should be rewarding Jambu:mad2:

Last edited:
Kunjuppu said

Thiagayya's mother tongue is telugu. Both Muthusamy Dikshidar and Syama Sastry are learned sanskrit scholars. More over their period is much older than the period of Bharathiar.

One thing which we all have to understand is `music doesn't have any language'. I opposed Hindi imposition in my school days but when I entered college, I was mad after listening to `Aradhana' Hindi songs. Without knowing the meaning, I enjoyed the music very much. Similarly Sangarabaranam telugu songs were appreciated by the entire music lovers.

Musicians at stage have to give importance to all the language songs and should not get tied to one language. When they perform their program in Tamilnadu, they should ensure that substantial Tamil songs are also delivered in the program.

Music composer has to compose songs in the language they are familiar and comfortable with. Only the musicians who deliver at the stage have to satisfy the sentiments of the audience.

All the best

If one asks a question as to why there are fewer Carnatic Music songs in Tamil, the answer lies in the political situation prevailing in Tamil Nadu.

After the last Chola kings, Tamil Nadu has been ruled by non-Tamil kings. For more than three hundred years. They patronized Music in the language they knew. The Nayakkars of Madurai and most of the local chieftains were Telugu speaking.

So to get patronage you had to write in Telugu. In fact you had to know Telugu to get any position with the King.

This is history. But it is not written up because even now people of Telugu origin (who speak Telugu at home) dominate Tamil Nadu politics.

It is indeed heartening that Tamil as a language survived this occupation by non-Tamils for hundreds of years.

எல்லாமே சங்கீதம்தான் In my elementary school era I liked the song ஊசி பட்டாசே வேடிக்கைய தீ வெச்சாலே வெடி டமார் டமார். As you grow older and mature your taste also changes accordingly. In my teens I enjoyed எலந்த பயம் எலந்த பயம். Later changed towards classical or light classical like மறைந்திரிந்து பார்கும்மறுமம் என்ன? Still later I preferred only classical like MKTs songs. After 50 I don"t listen to them at all dubbing them as டப்பா சங்கீதம் ! I am an elitist Rasika now. Cannot settle down for any thing less than Music Academy Concert These changes are not deliberate but natural. Like when your young you read sports column Later look into Wanted ( Matrimonial Job) columns Later settle for economic reviews At this age I first see Obituary before going to the news flashes!! I think this happens with every one Jambu:focus:

I preferred only classical like MKTs songs.

Hello Jambu, MKT, PU Chinnappa, et al are beyond compare. They made fantastic music with simple tunes and minimal accompaniments. They will outclass and outlast many A.R. Rahumans, great they may be.

As many have noted, music knows no language boundaries. Let me share an exquisite Mexican love song that was copied by MSV Ramamoorthy duo in காதலிக்க நேரைமில்லை -- அனுபவம் புதுமை.

YouTube - Andrea Bocelli Besame Mucho with Lyrics translation (English)

Jambu sir, what is happening with your grandchild, tell us more, it is such a treat to read about your encounters with her.

Cheers!

Hello Jambu, MKT, PU Chinnappa, et al are beyond compare. They made fantastic music with simple tunes and minimal accompaniments. They will outclass and outlast many A.R. Rahumans, great they may be.

As many have noted, music knows no language boundaries. Let me share an exquisite Mexican love song that was copied by MSV Ramamoorthy duo in காதலிக்க நேரைமில்லை -- அனுபவம் புதுமை.

YouTube - Andrea Bocelli Besame Mucho with Lyrics translation (English)

Jambu sir, what is happening with your grandchild, tell us more, it is such a treat to read about your encounters with her.

Cheers!

We are making கம்மர்கட் this evening with help of the recipe suggested in this forum I will get back to you about the outcome this night Enjoy Jambu:popcorn:

Really! I never imagined my postings will of any interest to any one. I recollect one of my lessons in English in my PUC. on Oliver Goldsmith. Critics were telling he writes like an angel & talks like poor Paul. For this his answer was "Trivial Intimacy!" I always thought I was a poor Paul. Now suddenly I ( or some one else) finding the Angel in me. Reason? Probably the chosen topics were trivial like கம்மர் கட் presented with my intimacy with Dhanishta my grand daughter. Thank you for your nice words I hope I will raise up to her expectation with கம்மர் கட் and come back to you with a scoop on "Operation கம்மர் கட்" to make it a treat for you. Jambu:p

Last edited:
எல்லாமே சங்கீதம்தான் In my elementary school era I liked the song ஊசி பட்டாசே வேடிக்கைய தீ வெச்சாலே வெடி டமார் டமார். As you grow older and mature your taste also changes accordingly. In my teens I enjoyed எலந்த பயம் எலந்த பயம். Later changed towards classical or light classical like மறைந்திரிந்து பார்கும்மறுமம் என்ன?......

Sri.T.N.Jambunathan,

Greetings. I never grew out of this song....! YouTube - Thanga Jariga Selai - Savithri & Sivaji Ganesan - Navarathri

Cheers!

Jambu sir, what is happening with your grandchild, tell us more, it is such a treat to read about your encounters with her
We are making கம்மர்கட் this evening
Thank you for your nice words I hope I will raise up to her expectation with கம்மர் கட் and come back to you with a scoop on "Operation கம்மர் கட்" to make it a treat for you. Jambu
As promised I am posting "Operationகம்மர் கட்" in the correct thread கம்மர கட் rather than in this thread. See the thread கமமர் கட் Hope to tingle your palate Jambu

thank you raghy.

just went on an half hour trip of nostalgia with so many old songs, including my teen hot throb 'மெல்லப்போ மெல்லப்போ ' from காவல்காரன் .

Sri.Kunjuppu,

I couldn't help, but smile when I read your post. No...it is not about the nostalgia only ( I love to listen to old songs.. when I was staying in New Market, Ontario, on the week-ends, I used to get food from Babu's, Scarbourough; open a bottle of Jack daniels, side dish- மசால் வடை, old songs! Then much later, தலைப்பா கட்டிண்டு dinner. Now I am back in the Oz, பொண்டாட்டிbanned everything except old songs..ஊறுகாய் இல்லாத தயிர் சாதம் மாதிரி...:pout:).

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back