• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

யுக சாந்தி

Status
Not open for further replies.
மனதைத் தொடும் கதைதான். ஆனாலும், கதையில் சொல்லும் காலம் இடிக்கிறதே!

"பாட்டி... பாட்டி... பையத் தூக்கியாரட்டா? ஓரணா குடு பாட்டி" எனும் காலம்.

அந்தக் காலத்தில் இப்படி நடந்திருக்குமா? சந்தேகம்தான்! :)

i cried after reading this short story. jeyakanthan at his best...

Sir,

Such inhuman things happened in those days. Who are responsible for such cruelty, none else than our own ancestors.
It is nice to see that those unfortunate practices took to desirable change now. Let us welcome such changes, the motive being, Sarve jana Sukhino Bhavanthu.

In the above story, that Patti, had a son to take care. Think about the plight of those Patties in real life, who had no heir and no property but left only with selfish relatives.

We need to change more.....

With regards

'யுக சந்தி' எனும் தலைப்பு, மாறும் இரு வேறு யுகங்களின் சந்திப்பைக் குறிக்கும். :)

Mam,

இளைய தலைமுறையின் மாற்றத்தை நிஜத்தில் வரவேற்கிறேன்.

I also welcome the thoughtful decision of the patti.

அன்புடன்
பாலசுப்ரமணி

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir,

When I read this story I too was overtaken by emotion.

During my twenties, I met one disfigured widowhood patti. I learnt that she lost her husband at her young age and all her properties were taken away by her own brother to meet out his lavish expenses for drink and other vises, leaving her with only option to serve as a maid. What a pitty. She seems to have had a miserable life for no fault of hers. Hence my outburst.

I may be excused.

With regards

Last edited by a moderator:
மனதைத் தொடும் கதைதான். ஆனாலும், கதையில் சொல்லும் காலம் இடிக்கிறதே!

"பாட்டி... பாட்டி... பையத் தூக்கியாரட்டா? ஓரணா குடு பாட்டி" எனும் காலம்.

அந்தக் காலத்தில் இப்படி நடந்திருக்குமா? சந்தேகம்தான்! :)

dear raji, good lady,

what is it that troubles re authentication? is it the boy chasing after business?is it the one anna offer (too cheap? too expensive?)?

which 'kaalam' do you mean?

i was looking at the story from a 'story' viewpoint. a work of fiction. simple tamil yet elegant. a quick flowing stream of thoughts, well gathered and displayed.

i have already mentioned my athai-patti in my grand parent's household, several instances in the forum. she was single digit when married and widowed a couple of months later. had to spend her life touching 70+, at the mercy of her two brothers.

her own cousin, widowed and shaved similarly, was lucky to have a son. inherited all the wealth and lived like a queen, managing huge estates in wynad.

but the key in this story, is her remembrance of all her desires, brutally suppressed. how can you ever condole even the scene, when her own baby screams at her, for now, instead of a beautiful woman mother, he sees a disfigured bald in naarpattu. please have a heart. you are a good lady usually.

Dear Kunjuppu Sir,

I admit that it is a touching story. Please read my post. Since naya paisa came in early 50s, the time of this story might be

late 40s. The doubt raised in my mind was whether tambram women were bold enough to get remarried at that time!

Dear Kunjuppu Sir,

I admit that it is a touching story. Please read my post. Since naya paisa came in early 50s, the time of this story might be

late 40s. The doubt raised in my mind was whether tambram women were bold enough to get remarried at that time!

naya paise came into vogue april 1, 1957. still the concept of annas remained in practice for atleast another 10 -25 years. so realistically we are looking at the sixties. also please note that the grand daughter is working at (what the author refers to)the newly started neyveli lignite corporation school which is around late 1950s (my classmate mom was the first H.M. of the girls school there :))

the concept of educating girls became ok only after independence. in the 1960s early, in badagara, there was a govt doctor, a tambram woman, who was widowed after marriage. her father then educated her from college through medical college.

so the story is pretty believable. it was also in the same period, another cousin of mine (1960s early) with a daughter, widowed, married a malayali. with the curse of all her relations, except an uncle and my mother. i have mentioned this before long ago here in this forum.

what was poignant in this story, was not the remarriage, but the memories of the grandma. and her ultimate decision to stand by her grand daughter, and discard her beloved son, who fearing social norms, was willing to wash his hands off the daughter. the community was advancing, but events moved faster than the mindset. that was the beauty of the story.

Thank you Kunjuppu Sir for the clarification.

BTW, I am yet to read the other stories in the link you have given. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back