• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

பார்ப்பனர் மாமிசம் சாப்பிடுவார்களா?

Status
Not open for further replies.
பார்ப்பனர் மாமிசம் சாப்பிடுவார்களா?

நான் சொல்லுவது பழந்தமிழகப் பிராமணர்களைப் பற்றியது. இப்பொழுதுள்ள பிராமணர்களைப் பற்றி அல்ல.

புலன் அழுக்கற்ற அந்தணாளன் என்று கற்றோராலும் மற்றோராலும் புகழப்படும் கபிலர் பாடிய சில பாடல்களில் (புறம் 113, புறம் 14) மாமிச உணவு பற்றிய செய்திகள் வருகின்றன. இதனால் பழைய தமிழ் நாட்டில் பார்ப்பனர்கள் மாமிசம் (இறைச்சி) உண்டனரா என்ற கேள்விகள் எழுந்தன. உலகப் புகழ் காளிதாசனும் விதூஷகன் வாயிலாக வரும் வசனத்தில் மாமிசம் பற்றிப் பேசுவான். இதற்கெல்லாம் நீண்ட விவாதங்களுக்குப் பின்னர் ஆன்றோர்களும் சான்றோர்களும் பதில் கூறிவிட்டனர்.

அதாவது ஒருவன் இறைச்சி உணவு பற்றிப் பாடியதால் அவர்கள் உண்டதாகாது என்றும் பல தமிழ்ப் புலவர்கள் தங்களையே பாணர்கள் போல உருவகித்துப் பாடியபோதிலும் அவர்கள் பாணர் சாதியினர் அல்ல, அந்தணரே என்றும் விடை கூறி, எடுத்துக் காட்டுகள் தந்து சமாதானப் படுத்திவிட்டனர்.

பத்துப் பாட்டில் ஒன்றான பெரும்பாணாற்றுப் படையில் பார்ப்பார் வீட்டை கோழியும் நாயும் கூட நெருங்காது என்று அவர்கள் தூய்மை பெரிதும் போற்றப்படுகிறது. அதே நூல் வரிகள் 302-310 ஐயர் வீட்டில் என்ன என்ன கிடைக்கும் என்ற “மெனு” வையும் கொடுக்கிறது:

இராசன்னம் (அரிசிச் சோறு)
வெண்ணெயில் வெந்த கொம்மட்டி மாதுளைத் துண்டு
(மிளகு பொடியும் கருவேப்பிலையும் கலந்தது)
மாவடு

இதைப் பாடிய உருதிரங்கண்ணானார் ஒரு அந்தணரே.
இது இப்படி இருக்க, நீண்ட நாட்களாக எல்லா உரைகளிலும் வரும் ஒரு வரி புதிராகவே இருக்கிறது:

கள்ளி அகிலும் கருங்காக்கைச் சொல்லும்போல்

எள்ளற்க யார்வாயின் நல்லுறையைத்—தெள்ளிதின்
ஆர்க்கும் அருவி மலை நாட ! நாய் கொண்டால்
பார்ப்பாரும் திண்பர் உடும்பு

பொருள்: அருவி உடைய மலைநாடனே! பார்ப்பனரும் நாய் கவ்வியதாயினும் உடும்பின் தசையை அதன் உயர்வை எண்ணித் தின்பர். அதுபோல கள்ளியிடம் தோன்றும் அகிலையும் கரிய காக்கையின் சொல்லையும் அவை தோன்றிய இடத்தை எண்ணி இகழாது உயர்வாய்க் கருத வேண்டும்.

உடும்பு என்னும் பல்லி இனப் பிராணியை எந்த எந்த இனத்தினர் சாப்பிடுவர்? உடும்புக் கறிக்கு ஏதேனும் மருத்துவ சக்தி இருப்பதால் இப்படிச் சொன்னார்களா? அல்லது இதை அப்படியே பொருள் கொள்ளாது வேறு வகையில் பொருள் கொள்ள வேண்டுமா?

இது நீண்ட காலமாக என் மனதை உறுத்தும் ஒரு கேள்வி. விடை தெரிந்தால் எழுதுங்கள்.

கள்ளி அகிலும் கருங்காக்கைச் சொல்லும்போல்
எள்ளற்க யார்வாயின் நல்லுறையைத்—தெள்ளிதின்
ஆர்க்கும் அருவி மலை நாட ! நாய் கொண்டால்
பார்ப்பாரும் திண்பர் உடும்பு

பொருள்: அருவி உடைய மலைநாடனே! பார்ப்பனரும் நாய் கவ்வியதாயினும் உடும்பின் தசையை அதன் உயர்வை எண்ணித் தின்பர். அதுபோல கள்ளியிடம் தோன்றும் அகிலையும் கரிய காக்கையின் சொல்லையும் அவை தோன்றிய இடத்தை எண்ணி இகழாது உயர்வாய்க் கருத வேண்டும்.

மேற்கண்ட பாடலில் நாய் கொண்டால் என்ற தொடரில் உம்மை இல்லை. அது உரையில் வலிந்து சேர்க்கப்பட்டிருக்கிறது. அதை உள்ள படி பொருள் கொண்டால் , நாய் கவ்விவிட்டால், பார்ப்பாரும் உடும்பு தின்பர் என்று ஆகிறது. இது ஏதோ நாய் கவ்வுவதால் ஊன் சிறப்படைவதைப் போலத் தோற்றம் தருகிறது. விரும்பப்படாத உடும்புத் தசை நாய் கவ்விச் சிறப்படைந்து விடுவதால் அது பார்ப்பாரும் உண்ணற்கு உரிய சிறப்பைப் பெறுகிறது. பார்ப்பாரும் என்று உம்மை வருவதால் அவர்கள் சாதாரணமாக ஊன் உண்ணமாட்டார்கள் என்பது பெறப்படுகிறது.

மேலே கண்டது விளையாட்டாகச் செய்த திசை திருப்பல். இப்பொழுது சீரியஸாகப் பேசுவோம்.

எச்சில் உண்ணக்கூடாது என்றாலும் குரு உண்டது போக மிச்சம் உள்ள மாமிச உணவை சீடன் உண்ணுவது தவறாகாது என்று ஆபஸ்தம்பர் கூறியிருப்பதாக அறிகிறேன். ஆதாரம் தற்போது கையில் இல்லை. கிடைத்தபோது தருகிறேன்.

Greetings.

In the olden days Brahmins did eat meat. In his book 'Theivathin Kural', Paramarcharyal also confirmed that. But later on Brahmins decided not to eat meat; quite possibly the effects of Jainism; or not. But in any case, Brahmins avoid meat now. But what is the reason for analysing that? The culture always changes, hopefully for the better. No matter what they did in the past, presently they are not consuming meat in general.

Cheers!

Greetings.

In the olden days Brahmins did eat meat. In his book 'Theivathin Kural', Paramarcharyal also confirmed that. But later on Brahmins decided not to eat meat; quite possibly the effects of Jainism; or not. But in any case, Brahmins avoid meat now. But what is the reason for analysing that? The culture always changes, hopefully for the better. No matter what they did in the past, presently they are not consuming meat in general.

Cheers!

I beg to differ in this.I do not agree that vegetarianism is a Jain influence.
In Bhagavad Geeta Lord Krishna clearly defines Sattva,Rajas and Tamas food.
Sattva food being vegetarian and pure.
And Geeta was given in Dwapara Yuga.
Jainism etc came only in Kali Yuga.

So that only goes to show that Vegetarianism was in vogue even back then but just like now we get people who do not follow family tradition there must have been a few back then who were not following traditions as they should have been.

I always wonder why all the credit of Vegetarianism should go the Jainism when in Dwapara Yuga itself a Sattva Diet was mentioned.
There is no harm giving ourselves(Hindus) some credit.

Last edited:
Sowbagyavathy Renuka, Greetings.

I am not giving full credit to Jainism either. That's why I said 'possibly Jainism; or not'. My point was, it does not matter how, now vegetarianism 'in general' is in practice.

Now, satvic food need not be vegetarian only. Check it, please. Satvic food is freshly prepared, mild, not consisting of very harsh flavours. Where as, Rajo food is hot, consists of strong aroma and flavours. Still Rajo food would be pfreshly prepared. Where as, thamasa food was prepared sometime ago, may be even the day before even gone stale.

I am not saying only Jains 'invented' vegetarian food. It was very much in use before that. Only Jains made a vegetarian diet compulsary for everyone in Jain religion.

Cheers!

namaste shrI Raghy and others.

You mentioned in post #3:
In the olden days Brahmins did eat meat. In his book 'Theivathin Kural', Paramarcharyal also confirmed that.

Could you give us the exact reference please? For, as far as I could search, I found only this passage in the book Hindu Dharma: the Universal Way of Life published by Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, which is a part compilation of KAnchi ParamAchArya's lectures featured in the Tamizh book deivatthin kural:

It is totally false to state that Brahmins performed sacrifices only to satisfy their appetite for meat and that the talk of pleasing the deities was only a pretext. There are rules regarding the meat to be carved out from a sacrificial animal, the part of the body from which it is to be taken and the quantity each rtvik can partake of as prasada (idavatarana). This is not more than the size of a pigeon-pea and it is to be swallowed without anything added to taste. There may be various reasons for you to attack the system of sacrifices but it would be preposterous to do so on the score that Brahmins practised deception by making them a pretext to eat meat.

However, KAnchi ParamAchArya says this about the present-day brahmins as per this book (I can't locate its Tamizh equivalent in deivatthin kural):

Let us concede that the Brahmin left his village because he could not feed himself there and came to a city like Madras. But did he find contentment here? What do we see today in actual practice? Suppose a Brahmin received a salary of Rs1000 in Madras today. If he gets a job in Delhi with double the salary he runs off there. When he goes to Delhi he would abandon totally the dharma he was able to practise at least to a small extent in Madras. Later, if he were offered $4000 a month in America he would leave his motherland for that country, lured by the prospect of earning a fortune. There, in the United States, he would became totally alienated from his religion, from his dharma, from (for?--sd) all his money. The Brahmin is willing to do anything, go to any extent, for the sake of money. For instance, he would join the army if there were the promoter of more income in it. If necessary he would even take to meat and to drinking. The usual excuse trotted out for the Brahmin deserting his dharma does not wash.

Sri. Saidevo, Greetings.

I do not have 'Theivathin Kural' book with me. The said information was in the first volume. (In fact, I did not get to read all the volumes). I did not say Brahmins had meat as a staple diet either. But if it was taken even in such small quantity, still it is meat, still that animal was killed. But now animal 'sacrifices' don't happen anymore. But Paramacharyal mentioned, presently small figurines made of rice flour or lintel flour is used in yagnas for the sacrifices. That was the gist of the information I gathered from that book. I don't remeber any page number ( is the 1st volume about 850 pages or something like that? I read that in 1999- over 12 years ago). So, sorry I can't give the page reference number, please.

In the past when Brahmins migrated to western countries, they had to eat some leaves and lettuce if they wanted vegetarian food. Now it is not the case. Plenty vegetarian food is available; so much vegetables are available too. Vegetarian diet is quite common in army too. Our son about 12 years ago, soon after school attended boot camp in Australian army. He opted and got great vegetarian diet. The rest of the family was there for his graduation; for lunch, we could choose either vegetarian buffet or non-vegetarian buffet. That vegetarian buffet was served with many varities of vegetarian dishes with rice. So, getting vegetarian food, even in a small town is not difficult at all.

Cheers!

I have not undergone proper training in Vedic studies. But I hope all will agree that Late Paramacharya of Kanchi Kamakoti Sankara Mutt knows well when he said about Animal Sacrifice while dealing on the subject "Is Sacrificial Killing Justified?" Kanchi Paramacharya Sri Chandrasekarendra Saraswathi of Kanchi Shankar Mutt explains in detail on the importance of Yagnas mentions " One is enjoined to perform twenty one sacrifices. These are three types Pakayajna, haviryajna and Soma yajna. In each category there are seven subdivisions. In all the seven Pakayajnas as well as in the first five haviryajnas there is no animal sacrifice. It is only from the sixth haviryajnas onwards (it is called "nirudhapasubandha") that animals are sacrificed."

The full speech is available in the following URL

www.kamakoti.org/hindudharma/part5/chap23.htm

It is my personal view the influence of Jainism and Saivism of South has got to do a lot for the spread of vegetarianism among the Hindus.
Regards,

Brahmanyan

The concept of Vegetarianism is in Hinduism even before Jainism spread to the south. Typical example is my quote from Perumpanatrupatai, whose author lived in the first few centuries of modern era. We have Jain Brahmi epigraphs in and around Madurai even before that. But no one will believe that as soon as they came Brahmins changed their food habits without changing the religion.

More over as Renuka poited out, it in Bhagavad Gita and Upanishads.We have innumerable references to what people ate at Ashrams. It is always milk and honey or fruits and flour.

Having said that we cant deny that very rarely Brahmins did eat "something" meaty after certain type of Yagnas.Even Manu Smriti refers to Nnn Veg items.

But my question about the Pazamozi Nanuru (400) poem is about Mountain Iguana. Why should Brahmins eat Mountain Iguana (utumpu) leaving all other non veg items.

So I thought probably it is used in certain medicines. Because when it comes to life saving medicines you can eat anything for saving your life ,but not for taste.

Even in Yagas if they have really eaten Non Veg., as long as it is not for satisfying your taste, it is alright.

Thannaik kolla vantha pasuvaiyum Brahmins kollalaam( A Brahmin can kill even a cow if it attacks him) enru Vedam solvathaaka solluvaarkaL

I beg to differ in this.I do not agree that vegetarianism is a Jain influence.
In Bhagavad Geeta Lord Krishna clearly defines Sattva,Rajas and Tamas food.
Sattva food being vegetarian and pure.
And Geeta was given in Dwapara Yuga.
Jainism etc came only in Kali Yuga.

So that only goes to show that Vegetarianism was in vogue even back then but just like now we get people who do not follow family tradition there must have been a few back then who were not following traditions as they should have been.

I always wonder why all the credit of Vegetarianism should go the Jainism when in Dwapara Yuga itself a Sattva Diet was mentioned.
There is no harm giving ourselves(Hindus) some credit.

Dr Renu - One of the values taught in Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 13) is Ahimsa. That could form the basis for many practices including vegetarianism

Dr Renu - One of the values taught in Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 13) is Ahimsa. That could form the basis for many practices including vegetarianism

Even in the Mahabharat episode Lord Krishna tries to solve the dispute of the Kauravas and Pandavas by negotiating with Duryodhana.
So Ahimsa was the first choice but since Duryodhana was adamant and refuse to give even a needle's point of land that left no choice but to fight.

I fully agree with you that the basis of anything is from the Mahabharat after all there is a saying that goes:

यदिहास्ति तदन्यत्र यन्नेहास्ति न तत् क्वचित्

yadihāsti tadanyatra|
yannehāsti na tat kvacit||

Whatever is found in it is found elsewhere,what is not found in it doesn't exist anywhere.

Last edited:
பறப்பைப் படுத்தெங்கும் பசுவேட் டெரியோம்புஞ்
சிறப்பர் வாழ்தில்லைச் சிற்றம் பலமேய
பிறப்பில் பெருமானைப் பின்றாழ் சடையானை
மறப்பி லார்கண்டீர் மைய றீர்வாரே.

ஞானசம்பந்தரின்மேற்கண்ட தேவாரப்பாடல் தில்லை வாழ் அந்தணர்கள் பசுவைக் கொன்று வேள்வி செய்ததைப் பெருமைப்படுத்துகிறது.

தீட்சிதர்கள் பசுவின் வபையைச் சாப்பிட்டபின்னரே தீட்சிதர் ஆவார்கள் என்று கேள்விப்பட்டேன். ஆனால் இது உண்மையா என்று திட்சிதர்களைத்தான் கேட்க வேண்டும். இன்னும் சிலர் பசுவுக்குப் பதிலாக மாவினால் செய்யப்பட்ட பசுவின் உருவத்தை யாகத் தீயில் போடுவார்கள் என்றும் சொல்லுகிறார்கள். ஆனால் நான் கூறிய பழமொழி நானூறு பாடலுக்கு மிந்தமிழ் ஆடல் குழுவில் ஒருவர் நல்ல விளக்கம் கொடுத்திருக்கிறார். இது பார்ப்பனர்கள் உடும்பைச் சாப்பிடுவார்கள் என்று அர்த்தமாகாது. உடும்பின் இறைச்சி மிகவும் சுவையுடையது. எவ்வளவு சுவை என்றால் மாமிசமே சாப்பிடாத பிராமணர்களைக் கூட இறைச்சியின் மீது ஆசை கொள்ளவைக்கும் என்று கூறுகிறார் பாடல் ஆசிரியர் என்று. அவர் மேலும் ஒரு உதாரணமும் காட்டியுள்ளார். பாப்பாரப் பிள்ளை நண்டு பிடித்த மாதிரி என்று ஒரு பழமொழி இருக்கிறது. இதற்குப் பார்ப்பனச் சிறுவர்களுக்கு நண்டு கூட பிடிக்கத் தெரியாது என்று தான் அர்த்தம். பார்ப்பனர்கள் கூடநண்டு பிடித்தார்கள் என்று பொருள் கொள்ளக்க்கூடாது என்று அவர் கொடுத்த விளக்கம் எனக்குமே ஏற்புடைத்தே. அவிசொரிந்தாயிரம்........... என்னும் குறளுக்குக் கூட காஞ்சி மஹா பெரியவர் இது போலவே விளக்கம் கொடுத்துள்ளார். ஒருவன் ஒரு உயிரைக் கொல்லாதிருந்தால் அவனுக்கு ஆயிரம் யாகம் செய்த புண்யத்தை விட கூடுதல் புண்யம் கிடைக்கும் என்பதே வள்ளுவர் சொல்ல வந்த விஷயம். இதை சிலர் ---பிராமணர்கள் யாகத்தில் உயிர்வதை ச் செய்ததை வள்ளுவர் கூட கூறினார் ----என்று திரித்து அர்த்தம் கற்பித்தனர். ஆக சுருக்கமாகச் சொல்லவேண்டுமானால் பிராமணர்கள் உடும்புக் கறி சாப்பிடவில்லை. எனக்கு வந்த பதிலில் ஒருவர் கூறியது போல பார்ப்பாரும் என்பதிலுள்ள "உம்" என்பதைக் கவனிக்க வேண்டும்.

as a rule, Brahmins dont eat non-veg. in USA, I know brahmin boys do eat non-veg. I had seen animal(goat) sacrifice during yagam in my town way back 30s and 40s. Kashmir brahmins do eat non-veg. Bengali/Assamese/Odisa brahmins take fish. where do we go! how to clasify! It is difficult

as a rule, Brahmins dont eat non-veg. in USA, I know brahmin boys do eat non-veg. I had seen animal(goat) sacrifice during yagam in my town way back 30s and 40s. Kashmir brahmins do eat non-veg. Bengali/Assamese/Odisa brahmins take fish. where do we go! how to clasify! It is difficult

I remember in my class we had an Amanji type TB guy.He looked real orthodox types and used to sing in the nearby temple sometimes for bhajans.
One day I felt like singing at the temple too and he was shocked that I could sing bhajans and he was non stop asking me"how you know all these songs..you don't look religious"
He used to judge people based on appearance and act real holy.

But there was secret none of us knew about him.
We were shocked to the core to know that he eats non veg.
We were what!!!
The cat was out of the bag one day when a professor asked him if he was pure veg looking at his vibuthi filled forehead.

And to everyone's surprise he replied this..Ok I will put in dialogue form.
BTW the professor was also a Brahmin(Kannada Brahmin)

Prof: Are you a pure veg?

Student: Most of the while I am pure veg but sometimes I am non veg.

Prof: What??? That means you are non veg!!

Student: No sir..I am most of the while pure veg but sometimes I am non veg.

Prof was getting mad and told him :If you have already eaten non veg and still eating non veg on and off how can you say you are pure veg?

Student: That's why sir..I am saying..only sometimes I am non veg.Most of the while I am pure veg.

Prof: Just sit down.

Last edited:
கலிகாலத்தில் எல்லாமே தலைகீழ் ஆகும்!

ஊர்வன, நடப்பன, பறப்பன என அனைத்தும் உண்ணும் சீனர்கள் பலர் vegan-களாக மாறும்போது,

கொல்லாமை பற்றி எண்ணவேண்டிய பலர், புலால் உண்பதில் வியப்பே இல்லையே! :hungry:

கலிகாலத்தில் எல்லாமே தலைகீழ் ஆகும்!

ஊர்வன, நடப்பன, பறப்பன என அனைத்தும் உண்ணும் சீனர்கள் பலர் vegan-களாக மாறும்போது,

கொல்லாமை பற்றி எண்ணவேண்டிய பலர், புலால் உண்பதில் வியப்பே இல்லையே! :hungry:

Bravo!

For the information of all, Brahmins never took meat in olden days. They took only herbals. In Sanskrit language many sentences has multiple meanings one of which is about an animal. For Example Viswamitra ate dogs Liver! How far it is true? Here the Dog's flesh is non other than Erukku.
I can show many more examples like this. Even our own vaishnavites said in Asvametha Yagas the queen will lie naked on the Final rites bed......... and conceive! Then they ate the liver of the dead horse. The meaning is different!
Epporul yaryar vai ketpinum Apporul Mey Porul Kanbhathu Arivu.

In all engineering title block, this line is prominently added.

"Do not scale, when in doubt, ask." i.e. if a dimension is not given or confusing, do not measure with a ruler, but ask the designer.

Instead of assuming a literal meaning for the passages, one must ask the experts for interpretation.

நீங்கள் சொல்லுவதில் பொருள் உண்டு. சித்த மருத்துவத்தில் இப்படிப் பல மூலிகைகளின் பெயர்கள் உண்டு என்றும் அதைப் பலர் தவறாகப் புரிந்துகொண்டு அதை அப்படியே அர்த்தம் செய்து தவறான பஸ்மங்கள் செய்த கதைகளைக் கேட்டிருக்கிறேன். திருவள்ளுவர் கூட பொன் என்பதை ஒரு இடத்தில் தங்கம் என்ற பொருளிலும் (சுடச் சுடர ஒளிரும் பொன் போல) இன்னொரு இடத்தில் இரும்பு என்ற அர்த்தத்திலும் (தூண்டிற் பொன் மீன்) பயன்படுத்துகிறார். நாமும் ஐம்பொன் சிலைகள் என்னும் இடத்தில் ஐந்து விதமான உலோகங்களைக் குறிக்கிறோம். இது போலவே வேதத்தில் வரும் சொற்களுக்கும் வெள்ளைக் காரர்கள் தவறாக எழுதிய பொருள்களை வேதத்தை "முழி பெயர்த்த" அறிஞர்கள் கட்டுரையில் விளக்கி இருக்கிறேன். இன்றைய பிராமணர்கள் தங்கள் வாழ்க்கையில் தூய்மையைக் கடைப் பிடித்தால் அவர்களை யாரும் அசைக்க முடியாது. கொல்லான் புலாலை மறுத்தானை எல்லா உயிரும் கை கூப்பித் தொழும். என்ன அழகாகச் சொல்லிவிட்டார் வள்ளுவர்.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back