• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

தர்மம் மிகு சென்னை........

Statues of Queen Victoria at the gardens of Madras University, Dr Annie Besant at Merina Beach Road, HRH Queen Marry and more installed speaking history of Chennai and their contribution.

[h=1]Remains of the day[/h][h=2]By GEETHA PADMANABHAN[/h][h=2]Chennai has no dearth of statues. What if we had a contest to pick some of the most interesting? These five will surely find a place, writes GEETA PADMANABHAN[/h]HRH Queen Mary

Jeypore block, Queen Mary’s College

Exquisitely carved in white marble, this bejewelled statue sits on a dark-stone pedestal, in the place it was installed originally. Queen Mary, consort of King George V (1910-1936), delighted in wearing jewellery, particularly Cullinan diamonds, but sculptor Nagappa has used pearls — 15 strings — to recreate her favourite necklace. The beautifully embroidered lace bodice is what she generally paired with her chiffon skirts. A report in The Hindu (archive # 19290122) dated 2/1/1924 said the bust was a gift from the Raja of Panagal, then Chief Minister of Madras, and was unveiled by Lady Willingdon; her speech is quoted in the news item.
Grime covers this work today. The back of the bust and the pedestal are defiled with names, probably carved with compasses or dividers. The peeling pillars supporting the canopy and pigeon droppings on the floor complete the portrait of continuous neglect. “After my write-up in Madras Musings, M.V. Appaarao, great-grandnephew of the Raja of Panagal came forward to help with protecting the statue,” said Nithya Balaji, QMC alumnus.

Prof. Eyre Burton Powell

29mpcity1.JPG

Presidency College

Thorough cleaning by the students has left the imposing statue of the founder-principal at the entrance to the Geology department shining — reflecting the glory of the institution Powell helmed.

The statue was carved by John Adams-Acton in 1838 in London, and the plaque in front introduces Powell, MA/CSI as the “first principal of the Presidency College and afterwards Director of Public Instruction”. The statue “[was] erected by many Rajahs, Zamindars, former pupils and friends to mark their respect for his character and their grateful appreciation of his services in the cause of higher education for more than 30 years”.

A wooden railing protects the 200-plus tiles — each of a different pattern — on the ground around the statue. The decorated dome was constructed in 1940 with “subscriptions from past and present students and by a generous donation from the Government of Madras, as a memorial for the first centenary of the foundation of the college”. “Powell’s great grandson got emotional seeing the statue,” recalls former principal Mohamed Ibrahim. “He later sent a cheque for Rs. 49,000 to improve facilities in the college.”

Read more at: https://www.thehindu.com/features/metroplus/Remains-of-the-day/article14406618.ece

[h=1][/h]

450px-Queen-Marys-College-Chennai-Queen-Mary-Statue.JPG

Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Queen-Marys-College-Chennai-Queen-Mary-Statue.JPG

The hidden palace

Chepauk Palace is impossible to be seen in its handsome entirety today, hidden as it is by the buildings that have come up around it.

2002081400350302.jpg

CHEPAUK PALACE, that genesis of the Indo-Saracenic School of architecture, is impossible to be seen in its handsome entirety
today, hidden as it is by the buildings that have come up around it. Even its vast grounds are no longer visible, Chepauk Park is but a sad memory. And this sad stage of affairs is not wholly due to present-day development; it began when the `Government' of the time took over the palace and park 150 years ago.

When Mohammed Ali Wallajah, friend of the British, died, he was succeeded as the Nawab of Carnatic by his son Umdat-ul-Umrah, no favourite of the Council in Fort. St. George. Accusing him of having conspired with Tippu Sultan during the Fourth Mysore War, Lord Edward Clive sent his soldiers in to occupy the palace in 1801, annexed the Carnatic in consequence of the settlement of the Carnatic debts and reduced the Nawabocracy to a Titular Nawabship. When the last Titular Nawab, Ghulam Ghouse Khan Bahadur, died in 1855, the British decided to make its occupancy of the palace permanent by moving out of it, its chief occupant, thereafter to be known as the Prince of Arcot. After a series of moves, Amir Mahal became the home of the successive Princes of Arcot, who from 1868 began receiving a pension from the Government, various tax exemptions and the maintenance costs of their new home. These obligations are still met by the Government of India, honouring the agreements of the Victoria era, as they do for three other princes as well, those of Tanjore, Calicut and Oudh.

With Chepauk Palace now vacant, the Madras Government decided to legitimise its occupancy by putting up the property for sale in 1859. When Government was the only party that could meet the minimum asking price, it took over the ownership of Chepauk Palace and its host of outbuildings, Marine Villa by the Cooum and their 117 acres for Rs. 5.8 lakhs. And into the palace it moved several Government offices, beginning the process of decline.

Read more at: https://www.thehindu.com/thehindu/mp/2002/08/14/stories/2002081400350300.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
And walking was part and parcel of our daily life. We had walked from Egmore pudupet mount road for work and marina on weekends. Now Doctos advise us to walk. What an irony my foot to walk on polluted roads and no platforms. Those days cars were known as pleasures yes it was.....
hi

i used to walk from mylapore to mount rd by walk on friday night movies....week ends we walk from mylapore to triplicane/marina by walk in our

younger days....now not anymore...

naithru Ji,

You are right when you say that cars are referred to as pleasure on those days. Why?

Perhaps, due to various reasons. We were only travelling by cycle, horse-drawn vehicle (jutka), light weight wooden rickshaws pulled by men, etc Travel by motor vehicle was considered a pleasure indeed. One thing we need to mention was that roads were nice without more pits and holes. No speed breakers.

There was no smart phone drawing your attention all the time. When you walk you enjoy your soundings. You won’t get calls while crossing the road and you are not bothered by messages, mails, etc. You are free and enjoying the whole Freedom.

Life was more peaceful then, and time was spent leisurely. Ho hurry burry. What we spend and how we spent, the money, time, etc were really interesting.

I was a bachelor on those days when I stayed at OVM Street, Triplicane parallel street to Bells Road. Quite adjacent to MCC.

There was studebacker commander, Plymouth and other vintage and classic cars.

Memory is a more powerful thing and going back to the past gives a pleasant feel.

Those experiences were really cherishing.

We have pleasure in collecting those old photographs, news paper cuttings from dusty albums.

How we lived on those days?

Pycrofts road platforms were considered as treasure with lot of old edition books of all subjects like fiction, GK and other subjects.

Thanks for kindling my thoughts.

Value%20for%20money.jpg

Remember this...?
Great yes, I do remember not only rupee but one anna, half, quarter, pie, pice and half pice too. Do you recall two annas in silver used to be given for phala danam. ha ha
you know in 1717 and 1818 in the name of east india co. temple tokens with Gods impressions like Rama darbar, Hanuman, Ganesh and Lakshmi were issued of course it was fake. East India Co never issued.
I shall search from my collection and try to add photos
ms

hi

my maternal uncle had famous SEASIDE lodge in triplicane...i used to visit in my school days...i like ratna cafe in trilplicane..

tbs Ji,

Sometime during 1970, I visited Chennai for an interview and that was a very short stay.

At that time, I stayed with one of my relatives at ‘New Indra Bhavan’ a lodge located at Big Street, opposite to famous Big Street Pilliar Koil with most of the inmates being bachelors, brahmins and from Tirunelveli and Thanjavur Districts.

There was one ஆடுதுறை மணி who was very orthodox and used to stick to daily practices and will be strict in enforcing discipline and used to give dictations to students who were learning ‘Pitman’ Shorthand. There was one வேம்பு, we call him by that name, used to talk like Governors and Chief Ministers but with empty pocket (He worked in a Chartered Accountants firm and used to come up with reels of having seen top ranking actors everyday) . We had one in the group with great dreams to become multimillionaires like TVS or Simpsons. Of course, Venky was always give a sad look, seriously worrying about the fate of குண்டூசி which he accidentally swallowed while cleaning his tooth with it. I cannot forget Rammanna who used to be with a bunch of betel leaves and was always chewing them with பன்னீர் புகையிலை. Nice people and pleasant memories.

Once crown of city, Chepauk Palace now falling to pieces
By Pratiksha Ramkumar

22832974.jpg

CHENNAI: If Thursday’s roof collapse is any indication, one of the very first buildings to be constructed in the Indo-Saracenic style of architecture in the sub-continent — Chepauk Palace — is crumbling. And with it will go a large chunk of history about the takeover of the Carnatic by the British.

Chepauk Palace, spread over 117 acres, was completed in 1768, and is known for its lime mortar, red brick walls, wide arches and intricate carvings.

According to historian S Muthiah, it was built for the then Nawab of Arcot by engineer Paul Benfield. “Paul Benfield, an East India Company engineer turned contractor, made buildings to last, a reputation that made him rich,” writes Muthiah in one of his columns.
The palace comprised two buildings — a single-storey block and a two-storey block comprising Humayun Mahal and Diwan-e- Diwan-e-Khana Durbar Hall and the two-storeyed Khalas Mahal.

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

Here is the collection of few articles by different authors on Madras on the eve of celebration of 'Madras Week' shared to the pleasure of reading of members who are tempted to know the interesting history of Singara Chennai.

nostalgia brought about Madras Week
Memories ever green of Madras
(by Lakshmi Sundaram)

Beautiful Madaras! Then Singara Chennai! Now?

Years ago, when we moved from our home town Trivan­drum to Madras, the city ­unfolded itself in its magnificence. Good clean roads flanked on ­either side by huge majestic trees with the branches extending beautifully to provide some sort of a canopy to the road. It was such a beautiful feeling to be walking down the road with a green cover above you accompanied by a refreshing breeze.

The main roads had only bungalows then, big and small, on either side. Roads with shops were mostly in residential localities and were confined to certain parts of the city like Mount Road, Luz Corner, Triplicane High Road, Armenian Street, Thambu Chetty Street, some pockets in T’Nagar and in streets round a temple in each area. Shops with sparkling brass and copperware made many a shopper stare and buy. I remember there were only a few saree shops with traditional Kanchipuram sarees and bits. The jewellery shops had limited variety of gold, diamond and stone jewels tempting the women and girls to buy and to cause a dent in the men’s money-purse, as a wallet was then called.

Good educational institutions were few, like P.S. School, Madras Christian College School, Church Park Convent, Holy Angel’s Convent, ­Vidyo­daya, Good Shepherd. The ­colleges were Queen Mary’s, Presidency, Loyola, Madras Christian, and Women’s Christian besides other colleges like the Madras Medical, Stanley Medical and Guindy Engineering.

My sisters, my nieces and I never missed a chance of watching the various drama troupes staging serious plays as well as troupes like Cho’s which provided political satire and which sent us into splits of laughter. The T.K.S. Brothers, S.V. Sahasra­namam, Sivaji Ganesan and K. Balachandar and others made the audiences sit up and watch performances of meaningful stories with mythological, historical and ­social themes. Sometimes, the plays were staged even on a stage erected in an open ground. As I go down memory lane, I can still recall some scenes of T.K.S. Brothers’ Raja Raja Cholan, S.V. Sahas­ra­namam’s Therotti Magan – a theme revolving round the famous Karnan character of Mahabharatham, particularly the scene where Karnan discovers that Kunti Devi is his mother, and the emotional meeting when the mother and son meet. It was acted so powerfully that I, as a little girl, saw tears trickling down many a face. Cho delighted the audience with his humour; so did Balachandar’s stage plays with social themes, which conveyed a message and made people think.

Read more at: http://madrasmusings.com/Vol 24 No 11/madras-week.html

Great yes, I do remember not only rupee but one anna, half, quarter, pie, pice and half pice too. Do you recall two annas in silver used to be given for phala danam. ha ha
you know in 1717 and 1818 in the name of east india co. temple tokens with Gods impressions like Rama darbar, Hanuman, Ganesh and Lakshmi were issued of course it was fake. East India Co never issued.
I shall search from my collection and try to add photos
ms

naithru Ji,

Interesting information on two annas made in silver. And there was one தொண்டி காலணா which used to be tied in the அறைஞ்சான் கயறு of young children along with talisman, not know the reasons.

chennai%20coin03.jpg

9k=

Source: https://www.vikatan.com/news/writer/50462.html

சென்னையில் தயாரிக்கப்பட்ட நாணயங்கள்! (மெட்ராஸ் நல்ல மெட்ராஸ்-23)

- தமிழ்மகன்

சென்னை, எத்தனையோ முரண்சுவைகளைக் கொண்டது. நகரத்து நெரிசல் உச்சமாக இருக்கும் ஒரு சாலைக்கு வில்லேஜ் ரோடு என்று பெயர். லேக் ஏரியா, வேப்பேரி என்று ஊருக்கே ஏரிகளின் பெயரை வைத்துக்கொண்டு, வாட்டர் பாட்டில்களில் தண்ணீர் சுமக்கும் பகுதிகள் இவை.

அப்படி ஒரு அழகிய முரண்பாடு தங்கசாலைக்கு உண்டு. நெருக்கடியும் மழை பெய்தால் சாக்கடையும் ரோட்டோர கடைகளில் சால்னா கைவண்டிகளும், ரிக்‌ஷாக்களும் பவனிவரும் சாலைக்குப் பெயர் தங்கசாலை.

Read more at: https://www.vikatan.com/news/writer/50462.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here is coins made of gold...

Land owner finds 435 gold coins, hands over to cops

Master.jpg

BENGLURU: History is filled with stories where the greed for gold has culminated in bad-mouthing, back-stabbing and beastly behaviour. But what happened in Banasamudra village is an illuminating example of honesty: Instead of secretly splitting the hidden treasure of 435 gold coins among themselves, the poor residents chose to hand it over to the government.
Located 100km from Bengaluru, Banasamudra in Malavalli taluk of Mandya district has become the talking point in administrative and archaeological circles.

Read more at: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...s-hands-over-to-cops/articleshow/58740895.cms

Dear Swathi.
That was nice of you to show photos of ottai kalana. Which is also known as pice. And there was half pice.
ie half of quarter anna or 1/8 of an anna
MS

My forum friend Sri. M. S (naithru) sent the images seen above and requested me to post them here.

Please click on each to view the enlarged picture. :)

My forum friend Sri. M. S (naithru) sent the images seen above and requested me to post them here.

the details for the photos
1.Temple tokens using the name of east India co ( fake coins - never issued by east India co )
2.East India coins 2,1,1/2 quarter Anna etc.
3.1, half, quarter and one eighth of rupee coins
I hope the photos are in my collections
ms

Thank you Madam for sharing the photos here that really adds value to the thread.

1.Temple tokens using the name of east India co ( fake coins - never issued by east India co )
ms

naithru Ji,

Interesting information on fake coins.

Here is the hidden history of Mint established at Madras on those days to mint coins by the British

When Madras demonetized
Sriram V.

19mpSriram.jpg
The first Madras Mint stood to the west of Parade square, Fort St.George.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The year was 1735 and George Morton Pitt, the dynamic Governor of Madras, was a worried man. He had inherited a problem of counterfeit and competing currencies from previous administrations, but the matter could no longer be brushed aside. A solution had to be found, and quickly at that.

The grant for Madras in 1639 came with permission for setting up a mint. In the early years, the East India Company minted coins that bore the Vijayanagar emblem of the boar (varaha), which is why priests at weddings refer to all gifts as ‘varahan’ even today! Then came the three-swami pagoda, so called because it bore the image of Vishnu with two consorts. The mint that produced these also made lesser coins, all with names that are still familiar to us — fanam (36 to the pagoda), kasu/cash
(80 per fanam) and duddu (10 of these made a cash). The facility stood inside Fort St. George, to the west of Parade Square. These were, however, not the only coins that circulated. There were besides, the Tevanapatam, Allumbrum (Alamparai), Alamgir (issued by the Company on behalf of Aurangzeb), St. Thomas, Trivilore, Negapatam and Pulicat pagodas. The Nawab’s treasury accepted payments only if made in another variety — the Arni pagoda.

Besides this mint, there were also what were known as Country Mints, located at Poonamallee, San Thome, Covelong (Kovalam), Pulicat, Arni, Aalamparai, Thiruvallur and elsewhere. All of these were outside the geographical bounds of Madras and produced the same coins as the Company Mint, but with varying grades of purity, leading to major confusions in exchange. An entire community of expert moneychangers — the Sarafs or Shroffs — settled here to handle the business of converting money, for a fee. But the continued circulation of the country-made coins caused a devaluation of the pagoda, thereby sharply affecting trade. During the time of Pitt’s predecessor James Macrae, counterfeit coins began coming in from China. These were not of gold at all, but of some alloy and were identical to the Negapatam pagoda.

Read more at: https://www.thehindu.com/features/metroplus/When-Madras-demonetised/article16667492.ece

The origin of Mint at Madras

Minting coins for Madras
S.MUTHIAH

Besides Madras pagodas, the Fort St. George mint struck fanams (panam) first in gold alloys and then, from 1688 in silver. From 36 fanams to a Madras pagoda, the value changed bit by bit over the years to 32.

A VISIT to Coinex 2004, the 13th annual exhibition since the founding of the Madras Coin Society in 1991, found me gathering quite a lot of information on not only numismatic heritage but also the heritage of Madras. Combining both, I arrived at the history that follows of the minting of coins in Madras.

The firman granted to the East India Company by Venkatdri Naik in 1639 permitted it to "perpetually enjoy the privilege of mintage." And, so, from the early 1640s, there was a mint in the Fort. This mint was run on contract by various dubashes - Komati Chetties all - but used gold imported by the Company. In the 1650s, the Company decided it would run the mint itself and appointed English supervisors.

What was significant about the 1639 firman was that, despite the Vijayanagar Kingdom, which held nominal suzerainty over Tondaimandalam - where Madras was located - minting its own coins, it granted the Company minting rights. The standard coin, however, was the Vijayanagara gold pagoda - the varaha embellished with Lord Vishnu in his boar avatar. These became known as the Old Pagodas when the New Pagodas, the Madras Pagodas of lighter weight and less value, came into currency. The Madras Pagoda was valued at about three pence at the time.

Besides Madras pagodas, the Fort St. George mint struck fanams (panam) first in gold alloys and then, from 1688 in silver. From 36 fanams to a Madras pagoda, the value changed bit by bit over the years to 32. Also minted were cash and doodoos (kasu and dhuttu) in copper. A fanam which first started out at 80 cash was revalued over the years till it became 60 cash and the doodoo changed in value from an original ten to a cash to eight. These exchange values remained more or less the same till the considerable changes in the early 19th Century.

Read more at: https://www.thehindu.com/thehindu/mp/2004/08/23/stories/2004082300250300.htm

ms

naithru Ji,

Here is the fact checking information on coins with Indian Gods and religious motifs have existed in pre-colonial era, but the claim that the East India Company produced such coins with Hindu gods is false.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are These East India Company Coins With Indian Gods Real?: A FactCheck
The picture of an East India Company coin with Hindu gods goes viral on social media. BOOM finds out if it’s real.

coin.jpg

A coin that claims to be a rare coin minted by the East India Company in 1839 with a religious motif depicting Indian gods Ram, Sita, Lakshman and Hanuman on the reverse, is what numismatists call a “fantasy” coin.

The above image has been shared widely on WhatsApp and Twitter with many people extrapolating that the early British recognised these deities by etching them on the currency in use. However, a BOOM investigation revealed that the coin is fake.

Read more at: https://www.boomlive.in/are-these-east-india-company-coins-with-indian-gods-real-a-factcheck/

Series of articles published in Vikatan magazine under caption மெட்ராஸ்... நல்ல மெட்ராஸ் authored by
தமிழ் மகன் is shred here for the pleasure of reading by interested members.

மெட்ராஸ்... நல்ல மெட்ராஸ் -1 ( புதிய தொடர்)

-தமிழ் மகன்

சென்னை என்றதும் அதன் பிரிக்க முடியாத வாசனையாக கூவம் ஆறும் நினைவுக்கு வரும். துர்நாற்றம் வீசும் சாக்கடை. மூக்கைப் பிடித்துக்கொண்டுக் கடக்கப்பட வேண்டிய கழிவுக் கால்வாய். கறுப்பு ஆறு. இப்படியாகத்தான் இந்த ஆறு இன்றைய மக்கள் மனதில் பதிந்திருக்கிறது.

ஆனால், ஐம்பது ஆண்டுகளுக்கு முன்னால் அந்த ஆற்றின் வாசம் அது அல்ல; அந்த ஆற்றின் நிறம் அது அல்ல. கங்கை, காவிரி போல அதுவும் ஓர் ஆறு. அதில் மக்கள் நீர் பிடித்தார்கள். நீர் குடித்தார்கள். குளித்தார்கள். இந்த ஆற்றுக்கும் ஓர் அருமையான கடந்த காலம் இருந்தது.

அது சாக்கடையாகவே தோன்றி சாக்கடையாகவே கடலில் கலக்கும் ஆறு என்று பலரும் நினைத்துக்கொண்டிருக்கிறார்கள். நம் நினைவில் தேங்கிவிட்ட இந்த ஆறு, ஒரு நாளில் சென்னை மண்ணுக்கு உயிரூட்டியது. இந்த ஆற்றின் நீரில்தான் சென்னை மக்கள் பயிர் செய்தார்கள். தமிழகத்தின் எல்லா ஆறுகளுக்கும் நேர்ந்த கதி இதற்கும் நேர்ந்தது. மழை நாளில் நீர் ஓடும். பின்னர் வெயில் நாள் முழுதுமே கானல் நீர் ஓடும்.

வி. கல்யாண சுந்தரம் ஒரு கட்டுரையில், 'இன்று கூவத்திலே ஆனந்தமாகக் குளித்துவிட்டு, திருவல்லிக்கேணி கோயிலுக்குச் சென்றேன்' என்று குறிப்பிடுகிறார். பச்சையப்பர் தன் நாட்குறிப்பிலே தினமும் காலையில் கூவம் ஆற்றில் குளித்ததைச் சொல்கிறார். மழை நாள் தவிர மற்ற நாளில் சும்மாத்தானே கிடக்கிறது என்று நினைத்து, அதிலே சென்னையின் கழிவுகளை ஓடவிடலாம் என்று யாரோ நினைத்தார்கள். கழிவுகளைச் சுமப்பதற்கென்றே பிறந்தது போல சென்னையின் அத்தனைப் பகுதிகளையும் சுற்றிச் சுற்றி ஓடியது இந்த நதியின் பிழைதான்.

koovam%201.jpg

மேலும் படிக்க: https://www.vikatan.com/news/writer/39315.ht

Courtesy: Vikatan

மெட்ராஸ்... நல்ல மெட்ராஸ் -2 ( புதிய தொடர்)

-தமிழ் மகன்

ன்னுடைய பதின்ம வயதின் தொடக்கத்தில் சென்னையில் பார்க்க வேண்டிய இடங்களில் ஒன்றாக சென்னை மின் வாரியக் கட்டடம் இருந்தது. அதற்கு ஒரே ஒரு காரணம்தான். அதில் என் அப்பா வேலை பார்த்தார். என் தந்தை பாலகிருஷ்ணன் அப்போது மின்வாரியத்தின் சென்னை செயலகத்தில் நல்ல பொறுப்பில் இருந்தார். இப்போதிருக்கும் 10 மாடி மின்வாரியக் கட்டடம் அப்போது இல்லை. அதற்கு அருகே ஒரு நான்கு மாடிக் கட்டடம் மட்டும். அதில்தான் மின்வாரிய செயலகம் செயல்பட்டது. அப்படி அவரைப் பார்க்கச் சென்றபோது எனக்கு அந்தக் கூவம் படகுப் பயணம் வாய்த்தது.

அது 1975-ம் வருடம். சீருடை அணிந்த படகோட்டிகள் படகில் இருந்தனர். நான், 'படகில் போகலாம்பா...!' என்று அப்பாவிடம் அடம்பிடித்தேன். அவர் படகையும், என்னையும், கூவத்தையும் மாறி மாறிப் பார்த்தார். ஒரு முடிவுக்கு வந்தவராகப் படகுத் துறையை நோக்கி நடந்தார். டிக்கெட் வாங்கிக்கொண்டு படகில் ஏறினோம். அந்தப் படகோட்டியும் என்னைப் போலவே சந்தோஷப்பட்டதை என்னால் மறக்கவே முடியாது. இருவரையும் ஏற்றிக்கொண்டு அந்தத் துடுப்புப் படகு, மெல்ல அசைந்து அசைந்து அந்த கரிய நீரில் மிதந்தது. படகில் ஏறியதும் எல்லோரையும்போல தண்ணீரில் கையைவைக்க நினைத்தேன். அப்பா, 'தண்ணீரைத் தொட்டுவிடாதே...!' என்று தடை உத்தரவு போட்டார். தண்ணீரைத் தீண்டாமல் எப்படி பயணிப்பது? கைகளைக கட்டிவிட்டு நீந்தச் சொல்வது, ஹாண்டில் பாரைத் தொடாமல் பைக் ஓட்டுவது போன்ற சிரமம்தான் நீரில் கைபடாமல் படகில் பயணிப்பது. கூடவே அதிர்ச்சிகரமான முடிவை அப்பா எடுத்தார். 'அடுத்த நிறுத்தத்திலேயே இறங்கிவிடலாம்!' என்றார்.

மின்வாரியத்துக்குப் பின்னால் படகில் ஏறி, கெயிட்டி திரையரங்கு அருகில் இறங்கிவிட்டதாக நினைவு. அவ்வளவு சிறிய பயணத்தை என்னால் ஏற்றுக்கொள்ளவே முடியவில்லை. ஆனாலும் அப்பா போதும் என்று சொல்லிவிட்டார்.

coouvam%20boating(1).jpg

Read more at: https://www.vikatan.com/news/writer/39425.html

[h=1]மெட்ராஸ்... நல்ல மெட்ராஸ் -3[/h]
-தமிழ் மகன்

சென்னையில் ஓடிய ட்ராம் வண்டிகள் பற்றியும் அதை நடத்திய மெட்ராஸ் எலெட்க்ரிசிட்டி சிஸ்டம் (எம்.ஈ.எஸ்) என்ற கம்பெனி பற்றியும் பலரும் கேள்விப்பட்டிருப்பார்கள். மக்கள் நடக்கும் வேகத்துக்கு சற்றே அதிக வேகத்தில் அது பயணிக்கும். மணிக்கு 7 கிலோ மீட்டர் வேகம். முயற்சி செய்தால் மக்கள் அதை முந்திச் செல்ல முடியும். 1895 முதல் 1953 வரை சென்னையில் ட்ராம் ஓடியது. தங்கசாலை, பீச் சாலை, பாரிஸ் கார்னர், மவுன்ட் ரோடு, பூந்தமல்லி நெடுஞ்சாலைகளில் இந்த இயந்திய நத்தைகள் ஊர்ந்த காலம் இன்றைய அவசர உலகத்துக்கு வேடிக்கையாக இருக்கலாம். சுமார் 100 ட்ராம் வண்டிகள் வரை சென்னையில் ஓடின. சாலைகளில் அமைக்கப்பட்ட மின்சார ஒயர்களைத் தொட்டுக்கொண்டு நடை போட்ட அவை, இன்றைய மின்சார ரயில்களின் மூதாதைகள். பெருத்த நஷ்டம் காரணமாக அந்த நிறுவனம் மூடப்பட்டது.

அந்த ட்ராம் வண்டிகளின் ஷெட் இருந்த இடத்தில்தான் இப்போது தினத்தந்தி அலுவலகமும் பெரியார் திடலும் இருக்கிறது என்று படித்திருந்தாலும் அதைப் பற்றிய நினைவுகளை எனக்குச் சொன்னவர் முதுபெரும் பத்திரிகையாளர் ஜே.வி.கண்ணன் அவர்கள்.
தினமணியின் முதல் ஆசிரியரான டி.எஸ்.சொக்கலிங்கம் நடத்திய தமிழன் நாளிதழில் பணியாற்றியவர். பெரியார், அண்ணா ஆகியோரிடம் நெருங்கிப் பழகியவர். வரலாறு எப்படி நூல்பிடித்தாற்போல இன்னொரு தலைமுறைக்குக் கடத்தப்படுகிறது என்பதற்கு ஜே.வி.கே. போன்றவர்கள் முக்கியமான உதாரணம். பெரியாரும் அண்ணாவும் பிரிந்திருந்த நேரத்தில் இருவரிடத்திலும் ஒரு பத்திரிகையாளராகத் தொடர்பில் இருந்தவர் ஜே.வி.கே.

பெரியார் என்ன சொல்கிறார் என்று அண்ணா ஆவலோடு விசாரித்த அதே நேரத்தில் அண்ணாவைப் பற்றி பெரியார் ஆவலே இல்லாமல் விசாரித்ததை அவர் என்னிடம் சொன்னார். இதை அவர் விவரிக்கும்போது பெரியாருக்கு அண்ணாவுக்கும் நடுவே நானே உட்கார்ந்திருப்பது போன்ற ஓர் அனுபவம் எனக்கு ஏற்பட்டது. ட்ராம் இயக்கியவர்களில் பெரும்பாலானவர்கள் தெலுங்கு மொழி பேசுபவர்களாக இருந்தார்கள். அவர்கள் நாமம் போட்டிருந்தார்கள் என்ற தகவல்களை அவர் சொல்லக் கேட்டிருக்கிறேன்.

madras%20old.jpg

மேலும் படிக்க: https://www.vikatan.com/news/writer/39570.html

Peek into history

articulations-peek-history200.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Landmarks (Clockwise from top left) Chepauk Palace; Wajallah Mosque; Plaque found on palace gates; Amir Mahal. Photos by Lakshmi Sharath
[/FONT]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[FONT=&quot]Read more at: https://www.deccanherald.com/content/201113/peek-history.html[/FONT]

Think Carnatic and what plays in your mind is divine classical music. Aside from the ragas and thalam, the term Carnatic can also refer to a region in South India which was once known to be a hot seat of power amongst the Mughals, Marathas, and even the British and French. Soon, the region came to be associated with the Nawabs of Arcot.

This dynasty began with a siege between the Mughals and Marathas in the 17th century, and survived for 200 years after.
The royal house still stands erect today, with the present prince, Nawab Mohammed Abdul Ali maintaining its age-old traditions. While Arcot may have been their seat of power, their home remains in Madras, or Chennai, as we know it today.

My trip to the royal house of Arcot began on a wet Saturday morning in Chennai, when I went on a Wallajah trail along with noted documentary film maker, Kombai S Anwar. The skies were covered with a thick layer of rain clouds waiting to drench the wind-swept city. The seas were choppy and the Marina looked vacant and washed out. As we walked towards the Chepauk Palace, Anwar traced out the history of the dynasty.

Read more at: https://www.deccanherald.com/content/201113/peek-history.html

[h=1]மெட்ராஸ்... நல்ல மெட்ராஸ் -4[/h]
-தமிழ் மகன்

உயிர் காலேஜும் செத்த காலேஜும்

எம்.ஜி.ஆர் வளர்த்த சிங்கம் சென்னை சென்ட்ரலுக்குப் பின்னால் இருந்த மை லேடீஸ் பூங்காவின் அருகில் அமைக்கப்பட்ட மிருகக் காட்சிச்சாலையில் வைக்கப்பட்டிருந்தது. இப்போது வண்டலூரில் இருக்கும் மிருகக் காட்சிச்சாலையைவிட பன் மடங்கு சிறிய அழகான மிருகக் காட்சிச்சாலை அது. அதை சென்னை மாநகராட்சி நிர்வகித்து வந்தது. இந்த மிருகக் காட்சிச் சாலைக்கும் முன்னால் ஒரு மிருகக் காட்சிச் சாலை சென்னையில் இருந்தது.

அது எட்வர்டு கிரீன் பால்ஃபர் சென்னை மியூஸியத்தின் அதிகாரியாக இருந்தபோது, உயிரிழந்த விலங்குகளைப் பாடம் பண்ணி வைக்கப்பட்ட அருங்காட்சியத்தின்(படம்) அருகே உயிருள்ள விலங்குகளையும் கொண்டு வந்து வைத்தால் மக்களிடம் பெரும் வரவேற்பு கிடைக்கும் என எண்ணினார். சுமார் 300 உயிரினங்கள் அங்கே கூண்டுகளில் அடைத்து வைக்கப்பட்டிருந்ததாகச் சொல்லப்பட்டது. புலி, சிறுத்தை, பறவை இனங்கள் எல்லாம் அங்கு இருந்தன. ஒரே இடத்தில் உயிருள்ள ஜீவன்களும் பாடம் செய்துவைத்த விலங்குகளின் உடல்களும் அங்கே இருந்தன. இறந்த உயிரினங்களைப் பதப்படுத்தி வைத்திருப்பதால் இது செத்த காலேஜ். உயிரோடு விலங்குகள் இருந்த இடத்தை உயிர்காலேஜ் என்பர். செத்த உயிரினமோ, உயிரோடு இருப்பவையோ... ஒரு கைடு அவற்றைப் பற்றி மக்களுக்கு விளக்கிச் சொல்வதால் (பாடம் நடத்துவதால்) மக்கள் அவற்றை காலேஜ் என்று சொல்லப் பழகியிருக்கலாம் என நினைக்கிறேன்.

madras%20old%202.jpg

மேலும் படிக்க: https://www.vikatan.com/news/writer/39675.html

LOST LANDMARKS OF CHENNAI
[h=1]Lost Landmarks of Chennai – Corporation Zoo[/h]
- sriramv

zoo.jpg

For almost 125 years, the Zoo, the oldest such facility in the country, was behind Ripon Buildings

Today it may have shifted to a sprawling, verdant and much deserved campus in Vandalur and may be called the Arignar Anna Zoological Park but, for at least three generations, the Madras Zoo was behind the Ripon Building, occupying one end of the 116-acre People’s Park.

The Zoo, of course, is older than that; it is, in fact, the oldest zoo in the country. It was begun thanks to Edward Green Balfour, Director of the Government Museum, Madras, who in 1854 persuaded the Nawab of Arcot to hand over his menagerie to the Museum. The Zoo was founded officially a year later in the Museum premises. Its specimens expanded to 300 in number within a year. In 1863, the Zoo was shifted to People’s Park, where it was to remain for almost 125 years. Together with the Lily Pond, My Ladye’s Garden, Moore Market and VP Hall, it helped to make Park Town a tourist attraction.

Not that it lacked some gory history as well. In 1942, following the fears of bombardment of Madras, the city was evacuated. All the dangerous animals of the zoo were shot dead. The harmless ones were taken to Erode and brought back to the city in 1944. Another gruesome record was that for years the stray dogs of Madras were rounded up by the Corporation, killed, and the meat used to be given to the carnivores in the zoo! This was given up only in the 1970s following protests by animal lovers when the sterilisation rather than the culling of strays was adopted.

Read more at: https://sriramv.wordpress.com/2014/09/18/lost-landmarks-of-chennai-corporation-zoo/

Courtesy: sriramv.wordpress.com

மெட்ராஸ்...நல்ல மெட்ராஸ் -5

-தமிழ் மகன்

'ஊரு கெட்டு போனதற்கு மூரு மாருகெட்டு அடையாளம்...
பேரு கெட்டு போனதற்கு மெட்ராஸு நாகரிகம் அடையாளம்'

-என்று ஒரு சினிமா பாடல்.

இந்தத் தொடரின் தலைப்பே அந்தப்பாடலின் முதல் வரியில் இருந்து எடுக்கப்பட்டதுதான். அந்தப் பாடல் வெளிவந்த நாளில் இந்த மேற்படி வரிகளை நீக்கச் சொல்லி போராட்டம் வெடித்தது. ஒரு ஊரைக் கொச்சைப்படுத்துவது அங்கு வாழும் மக்களை, அப்பகுதியின் பூர்வ குடியினரைக் கொச்சைப்படுத்துவதாக அர்த்தம் என்று கொந்தளித்தனர். வழக்கும் தொடுக்கப்பட்டது. ஆனால், இது நான் எழுதிய கதை எனத் தொடரப்படும் பல சினிமா வழக்குகளைப் போல, அதுவும் பிசுபிசுத்துப் போனது.

மெட்ராஸ் என்பது இந்தியாவின் பல மொழியினர், பல இனத்தவர், பல சாதியினர் பிழைப்புக்காக வந்து குவிந்த பகுதி. இதில் மசால் வடை ருசியாக இல்லை என்றாலும் கூட ''ஊரா இது?" என்று துப்புகிறார்கள். மசால் வடை போட்டவர் மார்த்தாண்டத்துக்காரராக இருப்பார்... டீக்கடை முதலாளி எர்ணாக்குளத்துக்காரராக இருப்பார். துப்பப்பட்ட எச்சில் இந்த மண்ணின் பூர்வ குடியினர் மீது விழுவதுதான் வேதனை. அந்தத் தவற்றைச் சுட்டிக்காட்டத்தான் வழக்கு போடப்பட்டதாக நினைக்கிறேன்.

moormarket.jpg

மேலும் படிக்க: https://www.vikatan.com/news/writer/39825.html

[h=1]Memories of Madras: Moore's last sigh[/h]-Prince Frederick
[h=2]In the wake of the recent fires at the historic Kalas Mahal and Agurchand Mansion, Prince Frederick looks back at yet another tragedy etched in the mind of Madras[/h]

01MPMOORE2

Roughly a year before it was going to be handed over to Southern Railway for construction of a car park, the old Moore Market met with an unexpected end. Minutes past midnight on May 30, 1985, a raging fire — supposedly sparked by an electrical short circuit — engulfed the Market complex and when the flames died down around 6 a.m., only the skeletal structure of the landmark remained. The roof had come crashing down and the southern and eastern blocks were damaged beyond repair. Only the northern and western sections offered some semblance of a hope — however, even here, the merchandise was charred.

The flea market had over 800 stalls, and the majority of them sold books, clothes and plastic goods. Helped by the combustible material and a strong south-easterly wind, the fire spread swiftly across the complex. The entire battery of fire engines — around 20 — was pressed into action. Water was fetched from near and far, but this proved insufficient, and the salvage team turned to the Buckingham Canal for more water. Foam was also used. The mammoth column of fire proving uncontrollable, a Simon Snorkel — bought at a cost of Rs. 42 lakh for firefighting and rescue operations at high-rise buildings — was utilised. The machine helped minimise the damage to the northern section. As the snorkel gave them a bird's eye view, firefighters could launch a ‘coordinated effort' to bring the entire blaze under control.

Read more at: https://www.thehindu.com/features/metroplus/memories-of-madras-moores-last-sigh/article2847933.ece

Courtesy: The Hindu

[h=1]Of Moore Market and moonlit nights[/h]Stina Vasu as told to Chithira Vijayakumar
[h=2]Stina Vasu on Moore Market, gracious residences and evenings of quite socialising[/h]

MOORE_MARKET.1

The first time I visited Madras, it was as a tourist headed to Ceylon. The year was 1961, and I got but a fleeting glimpse of the city after I arrived here by a propeller plane, before a train whisked me off to Rameswaram. I found a tourist brochure which told me that I could travel by boat to Mahabalipuram — I still regret that I didn’t try it. It would have been wonderful; gliding slowly down the then-clean waters, flanked by green paddy fields.

During that visit, I stayed at the Oceanic Hotel in Santhome, one of only three hotels in the city that had air-conditioned rooms; the other two were Connemara and Queens. Where the Oceanic once was, now stands the Harrisons building. Very few restaurants offered Continental cuisine; you had to go to these large dining halls that dotted the city, spartan spaces with ceiling fans and simple wooden furniture. These halls also had bars; but there was prohibition, which meant that while foreigners were permitted to drink, Indians needed a doctor’s prescription — a licence to drink! But a popular restaurant near Higginbothams on Mount Road found a way out of this — they served their beer chilled in teapots! And, no one suspected a thing.

My next visit to Madras was in 1963, as a newly-wed ‘firang’ bride. We lived in Wallace Gardens, which was a quiet, residential area, for five years. There was absolutely no traffic, and mothers and ayahs could push their prams along the middle of the road.

Read more at: https://www.thehindu.com/features/f...Market-and-moonlit-nights/article16892672.ece
Courtesy: The Hindu

Latest ads

Back