• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

கொனஷ்டை

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure I have heard this expression before But when I do not remember nor its meaning. 2 days back while watching Kunnakudi Vaithiyanthans Kacheri on TV on seeing his outlandish gestures and body language almost clownish my friend commented "சரியான கொனஷ்டை" What is exactly the meaning. Hope it is not derogatory or vulgar. Jambu :attention:

It is funny expressions exhibited by musicians mostly.

Madurai Somasundaram, renowned carnatic music singer, used to be doing the same thing during his programs. But people use to enjoy his music very much.

It is not vulgar.

It is just a funny behavior.

All the best

jambu

how sir,you are so informative?oray sirippu ennakku,imagine panni pathein ,kunakkudi and madurai somu and recently at sabha some carnatic concert,i just closed my eyes and let my ears transfer the divine into me.

I thought 'konashTai' in Tamil could be 'koNaShTa' in Sanskrit, in other words, the reverse of 'aShTakoNa'.

But then I also find "Om Konas(h)tai namaha" in the Rajarajeswari Astottaranamavali here: Rajarajeswari Astottaranamavali - Mantra & Slokas

So what could it mean?

saidevo

kona - corner or angle

ashta - 8 sides

imagine the body 8 diff ways gesticulating

simple broken samnskritham from me.in lighter vein of course.

Konashtai is not vulgar, it is a body mannerism , some cannot perform music without this!-see aruna sairam!-it is better to hear her music rather than to see her face and by that losing the charm of hearing good music!
Balagopal

Konashtai

Dear Mr Saidevo
Fantastic. Ashta kona and Konashtai- What a nice transformation. Hats off
arya

i think it is said about a person who is thorough with the subject and tries to fill in his own style into and make it new....not all can digest this whether it is carnatic music or violin strung in a style.....sunkan

This word seems to originate from the Sanskrit word "kONasthha" meaning 'situated or stationed in a corner', not from 'ashTa kONa' as said earlier by one member. It was used very often in the olden days to rebuke children when they tampered with things or made faces at their playmates or siblings; "ithu enna konashtai? aDi vENam kEkkaRathA?" (What is this mischief? Do you require a thrashing?), used to be the normal reaction of parents. So, I think the "making face" aspect has been made use of in describing the musicians' antics also.

"kONasthhAyai namaha" describes the Goddess as one who manifests her power in the SReechakRam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back