• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

காஞ்சி பெரியவாளின் கருணை....

Status
Not open for further replies.
காஞ்சி பெரியவாளின் கருணை....

பெரிய உபன்யாசகரொருவர். கிடைக்கின்றசன்மானத்தொகையைமகிழ்ச்சியுடன்பெற்றுக்கொள்வார்.

அவர் மகளுக்கு திருமணம்நிச்சயமானது.

"கையிலே அப்படி இப்படின்னு 5000 ரூவா வெச்சிருக்கோம்.நகைநட்டு, சீர்செனத்தி, பொடவை, துணிமணி,சாப்பாடுபோட்டு எப்படி கல்யாணத்தை நடத்தமுடியும்? இன்னும் 15000கண்டிப்பாவேணும்" இது மனைவி.

திகைத்து
நின்றார் கனபாடிகள்.

காஞ்சிபுரம் போய், பெரியவாளை நமஸ்காரம் பண்ணி விஷயத்தைச் சொல்லி, கேளுங்கோ... "பெரியவா" கண்டிப்பா செய்வா...

பெரியவாளிடம்
பணம் கேக்கறதாவது...எனறு முடிப்பதற்குள்.....

குருவிடம்யாசகம் கேட்டால் என்ன தப்பு? என்றாள்மனைவி.

அடுத்த நாள் காஞ்சி சென்றார்...

ஒரு தட்டில் பழம், பத்திரிகையோடுநின்றுகொண்டிருந்தார்...

பெரியவா அமர்ந்திருந்த இடத்தை அடைவதற்க்குள்...

மகா ஸ்வாமிகள்,இவரைப்பார்த்துவிட்டார்.அடடே! நம்ம கரூர்னபாடிகளா?வாங்கோ...ல்லோரும்க்ஷேமமா? உபன்யாசமெல்லாம் நன்னா போயிண்டிருக்கா?" என்றுவிசாரித்தார்.

உங்கஅனுக்கிரகத்துலே நன்னாநடக்கிறது
ஸ்வாமிகள் சிரித்துக்கொண்டே,ஆத்திலே..சௌக்யமா?

என்
ஆம்படையாதான்உங்களைப்பார்த்துவரச் சொன்னா..என்று குழறினார்.

அப்போ, நீயா வரலே?

அப்படி இல்லே ..பொண்ணுக்குக்கல்யாணம்வெச்சுருக்கு, மனைவிஉங்களைதரிசனம் பண்ணிட்டு பத்திரிகையை சமர்ப்பிச்சு.. என்றுகனபாடிகள் முடிப்பதற்குள்

ஆசீர்வாதம் வாங்கிண்டு வரச்சொல்லியிருப்பா என்று முடித்து விட்டார் ஸ்வாமிகள்.

விஷயத்தை எப்படி ஆரம்பிப்பதுஎன்று குழம்பினார் கனபாடிகள்.

உனக்கு
ஒரு அஸைன்மெண்ட்வெச்சிருக்கேன்.என்றார் பெரியவா.

பெரியவா இப்படிக் கேட்டவுடன், சொல்லுங்கோ காத்துண்டிருக்கேன்என்றார்.

திருநெல்வேலிபக்கத்துலஒரு அக்ரஹாரம் ரொம்ப மோசமானநிலையில்இருக்காம். பசு மாடெல்லாம் ஊர்லசெத்துப் போய்டறதாம்.

"
பாகவத உபன்யாசம்" பண்ணனும்.

பெருமாள் கோயில் பட்டர்இங்கே வந்து விஷயத்தைச் சொல்லிட்டு,"நீங்கதான் ஸ்வாமி "பாகவத உபன்யாசம்" பண்ண ஒருத்தரை அனுப்பிஉதவிபண்ணணும்"னார்.

சிலவுக்கு மடத்துலபணம் வாங்கி்க்கோ. சம்பாவனை அவாபாத்துக்குவா.சாப்டுட்டு ரெஸ்ட்எடுத்துக்கோ" என்றார் ஸ்வாமிகள்.

கனபாடிகளைகோயில்பட்டர் ஸ்டேஷனுக்கே வந்து அழைத்துச் சென்றார்.

பட்டர் வீட்டிலேயே தங்கினார்கனபாடிகள். ஊரிலிருந்துஓர் காக்காகூட கனபாடிகளை வந்து பார்க்கலை. "உபன்யாசத்தின்போது எல்லோரும் வருவா" என தன்னை சமாதானப் படுத்திக்கொண்டார்.

மாலைபெருமாள் சந்நிதி முன்ஸ்ரீமத் பாகவத உபன்யாசத்தைக் காஞ்சிஆச்சார்யாளைநினைத்துஆரம்பித்தார்கனபாடிகள்.

எதிரே
கோயில் பட்டரும்,காவலரும்தான்.

ஏன் ஒத்தருமேவரல்லே? என்று கேட்டார் கனபாடிகள்.

யார் தர்மகர்த்தாவா வருவதுஎன்பதிலே பங்காளிகளுக்குள்ளே சண்டை, உப்ன்யாசத்துக்கு நீங்கவந்திருக்கிற சமயத்துலஊர் இ்ப்படி ஆயிருக்கேனுரொம்ப வருத்தப்படறேன்"

ஏழாவது நாள் முடித்தார்கனபாடிகள்.

பட்டர்
பெருமாளுக்கு அர்ச்சனைபண்ணி பழங்களுடன் முப்பது ரூபாயைவைத்தார்.

காவல்காரர்
தன் மடியிலிருந்துசில்லரையை எடுத்து அந்தத் தட்டில் போட்டார்.

பட்டர்
ஒரு மந்திரத்தைச் சொல்லிசம்பாவனைத் தட்டைக் கனபாடிகளிடம் அளித்து , ஏதோஇந்த சந்தர்ப்பம் இப்படிஆயிடுத்து. மன்னிக்கணும்.

ரொம்ப
நன்னா ஏழு நாளும் கதைசொன்னேள். எத்தனை ரூவானாலும் சம்பாவனை பண்ணலாம்.பொறுத்துக்கணும்ன்னுஉருகினார்!.

கா
ஞ்சிக்குவந்தார் கனபாடிகள்.

அன்றும் ஆச்சார்யாளைத் தரிசிக்க கூட்டம்.

காத்திருந்தார்
.உபன்யாசத்துக்கு நல்லகூட்டமோ?சுத்துவட்டாரமே திரண்டு வந்ததோ? என்றார்ஸ்வாமிகள்.

கனபாடிகள் கண்களில் நீர் முட்டியது. தழுதழுக்கும்குரலில் "அப்படிஎல்லாம் வரல்லே. அந்த ஊர்லே ரெண்டுகோஷ்டிக்குள்ளேஏதோ பிரச்னையாம் அதனாலே கோயில் பக்கம்ஏழு நாளும் யாருமேவல்லே"என்றார்கனபாடிகள்.

சரி...பின்னே எத்தனை பேர்தான் கதையைக் கேக்கவந்தா?

ரெண்டே..ரெண்டு பேர்தான்இது கனபாடிகள்.

உடனே பெரியவா, கலங்கக்கூடாது.

யார்
அந்தரெண்டு பாக்யசாலிகள்?..என்றார்.

வெளி மனுஷா யாரும் இல்லே,கோயில் பட்டரும்,காவலரும் என்று சொல்லி முடிப்பதற்குள்,ஸ்வாமிகள் சிரிக்கஆரம்பித்துவிட்டார்.

தேர்லஒக்காந்துகிருஷ்ணன் சொன்ன கீதோபதேசத்தைஅர்ஜுனன்ஒருத்தன்தான் கேட்டான்.

ஒனக்கு
பாரு.ரெண்டு பேர்கேட்டிருக்கா.

கிருஷ்ணனைவிட
நீ பரம பாக்கியசாலிஎன்று பெரியவாசொன்னவுடன் கனபாடிகளுக்குசிரிப்பு வந்துவிட்டது.

பெரிய சம்பாவனை கெடச்சிருக்கவாய்ப்பில்லை....என்றார் பெரியவா.

அந்த பட்டர் 30ரூவாயும்,காவல்காரர்2 1/4 ரூவாயும் சேர்த்து32 1/4கால் ரூவாகெடச்சுது

நான் சொன்னதுக்காக நீ அங்கே போயி்ட்டுவந்தே.உன்னோட வேதப் புலமைக்கு நெறயப்பண்ணனும்.இந்தச்சந்தர்ப்பம் இப்படி ஆயிருக்கு என்றுகூறி, காரியஸ்தரைக் கூப்பிட்டுகனபாடிகளு்க்குஆயிரம் ரூபாய் பழத்தட்டில் வைத்துத் தரச் சொன்னார்.

இதை சந்தோஷமா ஏத்துண்டு பொறப்படு. நீயும் ஒன்குடும்பமும்சௌக்கியமா இருப்பேள் என்றுஉத்தரவும் கொடுத்தார்ஸ்வாமிகள்.

நீர் மல்க பெரியவாளை நமஸ்கரித்தகனபாடிகளுக்கு, தான் ஸ்வாமிகளைப் பார்க்கஎதற்காகவந்தோம் என்ற விஷயம் ஞாபகத்துக்குவந்தது.

பெரியவாகிட்டே ஒருபிரார்த்தனை...பெண் கல்யாணம்நன்னா நடக்கணும். அதுக்கு...அதுக்கு... என்று தயங்க,

என்னுடைய
ஆசீர்வாதம் பூர்ணமாக உண்டு.

விவாகத்தைசந்திரமௌலீஸ்வரர்
ஜாம்ஜாம்னு நடத்திவைப்பார். ஜாக்ரதையா ஊருக்குப் போ..என்றுவிடைகொடுத்தார் ஆச்சார்யாள்.

வெறுங்க்கையோடுவீட்டை அடையும் தனக்கு, வரவேற்பு எப்படிஇருக்குமோ என்ற பயத்துடன் வீட்டைஅடைந்தார்கனபாடிகள்.

இருங்கோ...வந்துட்டேன்...உள்ளே இருந்துமனைவியின்குரல்..

கால் அலம்ப தண்ணீர்கொடுத்தாள். ஆரத்தி எடுத்து உள்ளே போனாள். காபி கொடுத்துவிட்டு

பூஜை ரூமுக்கு
வந்து பாருங்கோஎன்று கனபாடிகளை அழைத்தார்

ஸ்வாமிக்குமுன் ,பழவகைகளுடன் புடவை,வேஷ்டி இரண்டுதிருமாங்கல்யம், மஞ்சள்,குங்குமம், புஷ்பம்இவற்றுடன்ரூபாய் நோட்டுக்கட்டு ஒன்றும் இருந்தது.

தாமு..இதெல்லாம்...என்று அவர்முடிப்பதற்குள்

காஞ்சிபுரத்துலேர்ந்து
பெரியவா கொடுத்துட்டு வரச் சொன்னதாமடத்தைச் சேர்ந்தவா கொண்டு வந்தா.

எதுக்கு?னு கேட்டேன்.

ஒங்க
பொண்கல்யாணத்துக்காக பெரியவாசேர்ப்பிச்சுட்டு வரச்சொன்னானு சொன்னா...

பெரியவாளோட கருணையே கருணை. நான்ஒண்ணுமே கேட்கலே.இருந்தும்இதையெல்லாம் அனுப்பியிருக்கார் பாருஎன்று தழுதழுத்தவர்

கட்டிலே
ரூவா எவ்வளவுஇருக்குன்னு என்றுகேட்டார்.

கீழே அமர்ந்து எண்ணி முடித்தார் கனபாடிகள்.15000ரூபாய்!

Mahaperiya va is a dakshinamoorthi swaroopam. he came to the earth to bless us all. There can be only one Mahaperiyava. He never brought the money into Mutt and diverted them to the needy directly. This incident is one just. There are so many countless incidents that he did in his 100 years of great & simple life.. "Oru Muudaranam pol Vazhndar, Vazndhukondu irukkirar" mp4.jpg

I have met him several times. The one at Kalavai many years ago was really great. I was taken aback when there was no crowd and for that matter absolutely none was present. I removed my shirt and banian before him and did shastang namaskaram. He enquired about me and blessed me by raising his both hands with a beeming smile which i still cherish. Nadamadum Kkadavul.
In the same vein, i have had the opportunity of meeting and listening to J.Krishnamurti several times. He is also a Nadamadum Kadavul.

I have met him several times. The one at Kalavai many years ago was really great. I was taken aback when there was no crowd and for that matter absolutely none was present. I removed my shirt and banian before him and did shastang namaskaram. He enquired about me and blessed me by raising his both hands with a beeming smile which i still cherish. Nadamadum Kkadavul.
In the same vein, i have had the opportunity of meeting and listening to J.Krishnamurti several times. He is also a Nadamadum Kadavul.

JK was an original thinker and unconventional. Truth is a pathless land. Am
I correct ?

Dear All,

Read thru the following one see the greatness of Mahapreiyava. Your heart will melt at the kindness this great aacharya showed on a poor Brahmanan:
9-Paramacharya Stuns a Landowner!

Author: Sri Ramani Anna (in Tamil)
Source: Sakthi Vikatan issue dated Nov 05, 2006

A Citra full moon day, many years back. An abhiSekam was performed in a grand manner with mahAnyAsa rudra japam at Sri Mahalingaswami Temple, Tiruvidaimarudur. The person who conducted it with 11 Vedic pundits was the landowner Narayanaswami Iyer of Tiruvarur. The rudrAbhiSekam that started at eight in the morning came to a completion around one in the afternoon.

The landowner Narayanaswami Iyer was extremely devoted to Kanchi Maha SwamigaL. He decided 'this rudrAbhiSeka prasAdam should be submitted to Periyavaa somehow.' He reverentially kept the prasAdam on a banana leaf and folded it inside a new silk cloth. That same evening, he boarded the Madurai Madras passenger train at Tiruvidaimarudur railway station. He got down at Chingleput station in the early morning, took a bus and arrived at Kanchipuram.

There was a large crowd at the maTham on that day. Finishing his bath and other chores, the landowner waited for Periyavaa's darshan. At about 12 o'clock in the noon, Maha SwamigaL came and sat down, after finishing his Chandramouleesvara puja. The crowd of devotees rushed forward. The landowner couldn't approach SwamigaL. He showed the prasAda bag and begged everyone, "All of you please make way! I have brought Tiruvidaimarudur Mahalingaswamy rudrAbhiSeka prasAdam for Periyavaa. I have to submit it to him."

No one seemed to make way. An employee of the maTham who saw the anxiety and haste of the landowner, created a trail for him among the people and brought Narayanaswami Iyer near PeriyavaL. When he saw PeriyavaL, the landowner became insensate, dropped down heavily for a prostration and got up. Maha SwamigaL looked at him raising his head. He raised his brows as if he inquired what the matter was.

With his hands shaking, the landowner babbled, unpacking the prasAdam bag, "prasAdam, prasAdu Periyavaa". "What prasAdam?" asked PeriyavaL and looked at him. In the meantime, the landowner managed to extract the prasAdam. He kept it on the cane plate found there and submitted it to PeriyavaL. On that plate were found in a small banana leaf, vibuti, kuN^kumam, sandal paste together with some bilva dalam, two parts of a broken coconut, and some poovan banana fruits.

Maha SwamigaL asked, "All these are prasAdam of which kSetra?" and looked at the landowner once again. The landowner calmed himself and said with humility, "Periyavaa! I performed the rudrAbhiSekam for Mahalingaswami at Tiruvidaimarudur yesterday. It was a large abhiSekam with mahAnyAsa rudra japam. This is that prasAdam. Since Periyavaa would be happy, I have rushed here to bring it, boarding a train; you must receive it and bless me."

Looking at that prasAda plate sharply for sometime, Periyavaa asked: "Narayanaswami! You are a big landowner yourself. Even then you performed this rudrAbhiSekam for Swami, teaming up with some other people to meet the expenses?"

The landowner replied, "No, Periyavaa! I performed it myself, out of my own expenses," stressing the 'myself' part a little.

PeriyavaL smiled to himself. He did not leave it at that. "So you did for for loka kSema at Madhyaarjuna kSetra", he added.

The landowner replied with some uncertainty, "No, Periyavaa! For the last two or three years there was no yield in my fields. Some fields were even barren. I checked up with Tiruvidaimarudur Muthu Josyar. He advised me, 'On a Citra full moon day perform rudrAbhiSekam for Mahalingaswami. That will give you an abundant yield!' Only on that belief I performed it, Periyavaa".

The prasAda that was kept before the sage remained untouched. AcharyaL did not accept it. Saying, "So it seems that you did not perform this act either for AtmArtam or for loka kSemArtam", he closed his eyes and dropped into meditation.

AcharyaL opened his eyes after fifteen minutes. There was such a clarity in his face! And a knowing look of having understood many things within those fifteen minutes. Everyone around was very quiet. SwamigaL continued, "Alright... How many vedic brahmins attended the rudrAbhiSekam?"

"I had arranged for eleven vedic pandits, Periyavaa!"

SwamigaL persisted, "Did you know who were the vaidikaLs and which place they belonged to? Was it only you who made all arrangements?"

The devotees who were witnessing the scene were surprised at the detailed inquiry Periyavaa was making. They also understood that he wouldn't do anything without a reason. The landowner took a piece of paper that he had tucked in his waist.

"I am reading out, Periyavaa. Tiruvidaimarudur Venkatrama SastrigaL, Seenuvasa Ganapadigal, Rajagopala ShrautigaL, Marutthuvakkudi Santhana Vaadyhar, Sundaa SastrigaL, Subramanya SastrigaL, Tirumangalakkudi Venkittu Vaadhyar, and then--"

AchargaL interruped him and asked easily, "All experts only, who you have arranged. Alright, check if your list has the name Thepperumaanallur Venkatesa GanapadigaL."

Seething with happiness, the landowner replied, "It is there, Periyavaa! He also attended the japam", showing surprise in his voice.

Though the devotees were taken by surprise at such detailed inquiry about an abhiSekam that was over, no one said anything. Everyone was silent and attentive.

PART 2...
SwamigaL said, "Besh, besh! So you had engaged Venkatesa GanapadigaL also for the japam! A very good thing. Maha Veda vid! GanagadigaL is now very aged. Even difficult for him to raise his voice. He would feel it hard to control his breathing and intone the japam."

As if he waited for this remark, the landowner replied, his tone raising, "Yes, Periyavaa! What you have said is very correct. He did not chant the rudram well. Sometimes he was siting silent with closed eyes. Often he yawned. All these resulted in the shrinkage of the counting of the japam numbers. He gave much trouble yesterday. I regretted having engaged him for the japam."

SwamigaL swelled with indignation. "What you said... What did you say? So you have the temerity to talk anything because you have the money? What do you know about the yogyatAMsam of Thepperumaanallur Venkatesa GanapadigaL? Would you match the dust of the feet of that veda vid? How can you talk such words about him? I have now understood what happened yesterday at the Mahalingaswami Sannidhi! You answer my question now! When the GanapadigaL was sitting quiet with closed eyes at the time of the japam yesterday, did you not shout harshly at him, 'EngaaNum, are you not getting the money, you are sitting still with a shut mouth without doing the japam?' Tell me, did you shout these words to him or not?" The landowner was appalled. The crowd was amazed.

Narayanaswami Iyer fell at SwamigaL's feet, his eight limbs touching the ground. SwamigaL did not say anything. The landowner got up himself. He closed his mouth and replied shivering, "My mistake, Periyavaa! It is true that I used the very same words you spoke know to the GanapadigaL in the Swami Sannidhi yesterday. Periyavaa should kindly pardon me."

Periyavaa did not stop. "Wait, wait. Did you do that mistake only? You did honour the vaidikaLs with money, right? How much did you give each vaidikaL?"

The landowner gulped and said weakly, "I paid ten rupees for each head, Periyavaa."

SwamigaL did not leave him with that. "Tell me correctly! I know everything! Did you pay all the vaidikaLs equally with ten-ten rupees each?"

The landowner stood silently. But the AcharyaL did not relent. "Listen, I shall tell you what you did yesterday. Perhaps you feel shy to talk it out. You seated the vaidikaLs in a row at the Sannidhi and was giving the sambhAvanA of ten rupees to each of them. When the turn of Thepperumaanallur Venkatesa GanapadigaL came, you decided, 'This man did not chant the rudram properly. Why should I give him ten rupees as I did for the others?' and gave him just seven rupees. You had the thought that somehow you had taken revenge on him. Did he care anything about it all? He just accepted what you gave him and tied it to the edge of his vastram." AcharyaL asked him hotly, "Tell me, is not what I am saying correct?"

The devotees were stunned. No one did say anything. They wondered how PeriyavaL came to know what took place in Tiruvidaimarudur temple yesterday.

The landowner prostrated to the sage and said, "A gross mistake, Periyavaa! It was out of ignorance that I behaved like that! I won't behave in such a fashion henceforth! Kindly parden me!"

Before he finished, PeriyavaaL continued, "Wait, wait! It would have been less worse had it ended there." He asked, "For the japa brahmins, you arranged for the meals at the house of Ramachandra Iyer of Mahadhana street, right?"

"Yes, Periyavaa!"

"You served sumptuous meals, of course, with a feeling of immense happiness. You had arranged for cooking very tasty sweet pongal, with lots of cashew nuts and raisins added to it, and you served it with your own hands, with ghee dripping from it in the meals session, right?"

Narayanaswami Iyer was more and more appalled. He closed his mouth and spoke with uncertainty, "Yes, Periyavaa! In the session I served only the sweet pongal with my own hands."

"Alright, does your conscience admit that you did it with the dharma for serving a meal?" SwamigaL asked him sternly.

The landowner did not open his mouth. AcharyaL said himself, "You need not tell me, I shall tell you! When you served the sweet pongal, since it was very tasty, the vaidikaLs asked for repeated helpings. And you obliged them. But when Thepperumaanallur Venkatesa GanapadigaL, giving up his reticence asked you many times, 'Serve me more of the sweet pongal, it is very tasty...' did you not carry on without serving him more, though you heard him? How many times did he ask you, giving up his normal reticence! And you did not serve him more! You committed the sin of partiality in a meals session! Was it dharma? You insulted a great sadhu!" SwamigaL fell into silence, overwhelmed with distress.

The landowner stood with bowed head. The devotees were amazed and speechless. Closing his eyes and folding both his legs behind him, AcharyaL sat upright. His divine frame looked like the Lord Parameswara Himself. He sat motionless.

Fifteen minutes passed by in complete silence. Then AcharyaL opened his eyes. Everyone was silent. AcharyaL continued his talk, looking at Narayanaswami Iyer: "MirasudarvaL! You should know one thing. GanapadigaL is eighty-one years of age now. He had done rudra japam in countless kSetras since his sixteenth year. Sri Rudram is always coursing his veins and nerves and breath. He is such a mahAn. The way you behaved to him is an act of great sin... an act of great sin!" PeriyavaL stopped, unable to continue further, and closed his eyes.

He resumed again after sometime: "Your act of partiality in the meals session affected him deeply. You know what he did? I shall tell you, listen. He did not go back to his native place Thepperumaanallur yesterday evening. Instead, he went to Mahalingaswami temple. He did pradakSiNa of the outer courtyard three times. Went straight to Mahalingaswami and stood before Him. You know what he prayed for, joinng his palms?" PeriyavaL couldn't continue. He steadied himself and then resumed his talk.

Please bear with me ... this is a big one and the final part...
"With tears streaming down his eyes, he spoke to the God, 'Appa, Jyoti Mahalingam! I am your steadfast devotee. Since my early days I have recited mahAnyasa rudra japam countless times in your sannidhi. You have listened to it. I am now eighty-one years old. I have the mental strengh, but that strength is gone in my speech! It can't be that you wouldn't know what happened this afternoon when we were dining. I asked that landowner many times, leaving my shyness aside, for more of that pongal, since it was very very tasty. Though he heard me, the landowner moved away as if he did not hear my request. You know that I have an immense fondness for sweet pongal. Though I asked him out of temptation, I was grieved that he did not serve me more.

'But then only after I had finished my meals, washed my hands and sat on the thinnai it occurred to me whether I could have such a jihvA sabalam at this age. Which is the reason I am now standing before you, Appa Mahalingam! With you as the mediator, I take a vow from this moment. Everyone gives up some favourite edible when they go to Kasi. It is only You who is in Kasi, as well as here. Therefore I take a vow before you that I will not touch the sweet pongal or any other sweet dish from now on until my soul goes out of the body! This is a promise Mahalingam.' With that vairAgya pramANam he said, 'Appa Jyoti Mahalingam! I take leave of you now," and did shASTaaN^ga namaskaram twelve times. Tears were flowing down GanapadigaL's eyes, as he left for his place. Now, you tell me... What you did was dharma? Will Mahalingaswami agree to it?"

Periyavaa stopped. It was then three o' clock in the afternoon. "I don't want any bhikSA today", said SwamigaL. No one moved from there. Not even for their lunch. Total silence prevailed. Tears were seen in everyone's eyes. The landowner Narayanaswami Iyer stood transfixed. He could not raise his tongue to speak. Everyone's wonder was, 'How does Periyavaa narrate everything that happened yesterday at Tiruvidaimarudur as if he witnessed them personally?'

Falling down to Periyavaa's feet, the landowner started sobbing vehemently. His tongue slurred as he said, "Periyavaa! What I did was a great sin! I did it out of vanity. Kindly pardon me. Never again shall I behave this way in my life. You should say 'I have pardoned you'!" The landowner patted his cheeks loudly.

AcharyaL did not open his mouth. The landowner was persistent. "I pray to you, Periyavaa! You should accept this Mahalingaswami rudrAbhiSeka prasAdam. Kindly pardon me!" He pointed his hands towards the prasAdam plate.

AcharyaL said, "Let it be, let it be there. That Mahalingaswami Himself will give me the prasAda anugraham."

Before he finished his words, a voice was heard outside the crowd: "Make way, make way!" Everyone moved to make way.

Only a tuft of hair knotted at the end on the head. A bright five-folded dhoti on the waist, with a silky green cloth covering it. A large rudraksha garland on the neck. A noble man who could be around sixty-five years old, arrived near PeriyavaL, carrying piously a brass plate on which was the prasAdam preserved in a silk cloth. He submitted the prasAdam plate reverentially to AcharyaL and said, "My name is Mahalingam. I am the arcakA of Tiruvidaimarudur Mahalingaswami temple. Yesterday a rudrAbhiSekam was performed for Swami. A landowner conducted it. My eleder sister is given in marriage to this place. I came to submit the prasAdam to AcharyaL and then look her up. Periyavaa should do me the anugraham." SwamigaL prevented him as he proceeded to prostrate.

Saying "You people have been given shiva dIkSA, you shouldn't do namaskaram to me", AcharyaL accepted the prasAdams brought and asked the Shivacharya to be given the MaTham's honours in return. Meantime, the SivacharyaL saw the landowner who was standing at some distance. "Periyavaa, it is this man who had conducted the rudrAbhiSekam there yesterday. He has come himself come here!" With these words, Mahalingam Shivacharya left the place, taking leave of the sage.

The landowner Narayanaswami Iyer again prostrated AcharyaL and patted his cheeks loudly. He pleaded, "Again and again I pray to you, Periyavaa. It is a great sinful act I have committed. Only you should tell me the remedy for this act."

SwamigaL got up briskly. "I cannot tell you the remedy for this. Only Thepperumaanallur Venkatesa GanapadigaL can tell you the remedy."

"Will the GanapadigaL tell me the remedy for the deed of this paavi, Periyavaa?", the landowner asked with grief.

SwamigaL said in a slightly raised voice, "If you have the prAptam, he will certainly tell you!" and hurried inside. He did not come out at all.

The landowner waited for a few hours. And then, having come to a decision, he left the place and arrived at Chingleput boarding a bus. He caught a train and arrived at Tiruvidaimarudur on the next morning. He finished his bath in the Kaveri river there and with firmness of heart started walking towards Thepperumaanallur. He walked briskly with the resolution that he would somehow meet Venkatesa GanapadigaL, fall shASTaaN^gam at his feet, ask for his pardon, perform the remedy he would suggest and obtain paapa vimocanam.

The landowner entered the Thepperumaanallur agrahAram. He inquired the first man he came across, the address of the GanapadigaL. The man pointed to a house on the street before which was a crowd of people and said, "You have come to offer your condolences? That is the home of Venkatesa GanapadigaL. Early this morning, he suddenly passed away. A painless, peaceful death. Go and have a look."

Narayanaswami Iyer was stunned. He felt as if someone had hit him on the head. The firm words of AcharyaL at the MaTham yesterday seemed to ring in his ears. If you have the prAptam, he will certainly tell you!" He now understood that PeriyavaaL known yesterday itself that the landowner would not have the prAptam.

The landowner went to GanapadigaL's house, offered his condolences, and prostrated to the gross body of the GanapadigaL, seeking his pardon mentally. Then he moved away from the place.

Later, the landowner met with different kinds of adversities and happened to lose all his wealth. He went North and did service at the temple kitchens, finally arrived at Kasi kSetra and attained his mukti there.

Glossary:
abhiSekah - ablution
agrahAram - royal donation of land to Bra1hmans, land or donation given us. In practical usage, agrahAram refers to the street inhabited by brahmins, which surrounds a temple like a garland up front, hence the name agra + hAram.
aMsa - share
anugrahaH - blessings, favour, kindness, acceptance
arcakA - one who performs a worship ritual
bhikSA - alms, offered food
bilva - the wood-apple tree, commonly called Bel
Citra - the month of April
dalam - leaf, petal of a flower, part, division
dIkSA - initiation in general, consecration for a religious ceremony
EngaaNum - (Tamil) a brahmin usage meaning 'why, you!' or 'hey, you!'
jihvA - tongue, tongue of fire (flame)
josyar - (Tamil) astrologer
kSema - prosperity, ease, welfare

The Greatness of Mahapreiya va could be read thru many a books. The experiences that one had with him are cherished by lakhs. One incident of how he made a poor cowherd boy get salvation will bring tears to every ones eyes. Without shedding a drop you will not be able to finish the episode. I will post that also. Jaya Jaya Sankara Hara Hara Sankara!!!

Dear Manoharkumar Ji

Wonderful posts. I have been fortunate to have His darshan and also some
very personal experiences with Periyava - across continents.

Your posts on Periyava are refreshing, re-assuring and rejuvenating.

Thanks, keep them coming.

Yay Yem

தமிழில் " பொன்னை வைத்த இடத்தில் பூவை வைத்துப் பார்ப்பது " என்று ஒரு பழமொழி சொல்வார்கள்.

மகாபெரியவா ஒரு பொன்மலை.

அவர் இருந்த இடத்தில் யாரையும் நினைத்து பார்க்க முடியவில்லை.

மரியாதைக்குறிய ஜெயேந்திரரும், விஜயேந்திரரும் என்னை மன்னிப்பார்களாக ( எனது எண்ணத்தில் தவறு இருந்தால் )

Wonderful posts. I have been fortunate to have His darshan and also some
very personal experiences with Periyava - across continents.
Dear Yay Yem,

You are a blessed soul...to have met Paramacharya and had personal experiences.. Wow.. Since most part of my life has been spent in the North sadly i have missed seeing him and hearing him. To compensate i do visit Kanchi and have his darsan at the brindavan. The sitting posture make you feel he is listening to every thing you say and the abaya hastham invariably says everything will be ok, i am there to take care... Would like to read your experiences. Cheers.

It is unfortunate that Jayendirar and other swamigal is not following the foot steps of Periava. Rather they spoil the paragramam of the mut.

Here, I am reminded of an incidence / instance how saints (Sad Gurus) solve the problems of their devotees with their divine power. (Daivika Sakthi)

The late H.H. Kanchi Paramacharya Chandra Sekarendra Saraswathi swamigal (widely & popularly known as periaval) some decades ago was camping with his disciples on the banks of Hagari river (near Bellary) for observance of "Chatarmasa Vratam".

The farmers of Bellary district were reeling under severe drought condition. No water to drink and no water to sow seeds. (Bellary district is always a dry area in Karnataka area to scanty rainfall).

All the farmers approached Swamiji and entreated with him to come out of their water problem. Swamiji, being moved with their pitiable condition, told them to do "VARUNA JAPAM" (invoking the Blessings of rain gods for pouring rains).

They told him that they have already performed "VARUNA JAPAM" continuously for 24hrs, previously but of no avail, and said "Swamiji if you bless us now, we will do it again.

"Swamiji told them that his Blessings are always there on those who undertake such noble acts for world peace, and also asked them to start "VARUNA JAPAM" immediately and also chant the panchakshari (five syllabled mantra) "OM NAMA SIVAYA" continuously for 24hrs.

This they did.

Wonder of wonders !! It rained in cats & dogs. The farmers were immensely pleased and began to dance praising Swamiji's greatness (MAHIMA).

They uttered loudly "Bolo Swamiji Ki Jai, HARA HARA MAHADEVA" which thrilled everybody and the vibrations of this Jay Jayakar attracted the whole village and the news of the miracle (Pouring rains) of Swamiji's greatness spread like wild fire throughout Bellary Distrusts.

People started coming in large numbers from all parts of Karnataka to have Swamiji's darshan and pay obeisance to him. Jaya Jaya Sankara Hara Hara Sankara. (This incidence was personally witnessed by Sai Jeevi, who with other Swamiji's devotees went to Hagari from Hubli to have his darshan and pay obeisance to him).

Chief Patron

Last edited:
ABHIRAMI
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:44 am Post subject: PARAMACHARYA'S BLESSINGS

Last week - my close suffered a heart attack in Chennai (last Thursday night). He is in Chennai and family in Madurai.

Thankfully he called his local friends and admitted him in a hospital in Kodambakkam and was in ICU. I am a very close friend of his and was very disturbed since we had visited the Matham, Tirupati and sabarimala together in sep 06.

Doctors carried out tests and told his who came down from Madurai that his heart was functioning only at 36% and that he may have to go undergo a bypass.

I visited Nerul kamakshi kovil and went to the temple l of Paramcharya's photos. I am very attached to one old photograph of his which radiates even today.

I sat in front of it and sang "apara karuna ....." with tears in my eyes and prayed for my friends health with a prayer that he be cured without any operation.

On Wednesday my friend was admitted to Apollo where they carried out an angiogram.

The doctors concluded that there is no need for angioplasty or bypass and that he can be cured by medicines. My friend's wife called up and in between tearful cries told me this good news.

I told her I am sure that Mahaperiyava had showered his blessings on the couple. I spoke to him today and he had this to say.... "when I suffered the attack I looked at mahaperiayava's photo and started praying .

It is Mahaperiyava who saved me".

Devotee experience with Sri MahaPerivaa (from Press) :: Forums @ KanchiForum.org

i think, the spiritual heads should be admired with what and how deep the spirituality they delivered on us, but not on how much money they delivered as help, even if its delivered clandestinely ..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back