• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

அனுமனுக்கு உபதேசித்த மந்திரம்

praveen

Life is a dream
Staff member
அனுமனுக்கு உபதேசித்த மந்திரம்

சொல்லின் செல்வன் என்று அனுமனுக்கு சிறப்பு பெயர் உண்டு. ஆனால், அந்த அனுமனுக்கு பாடம் நடத்திய பெருமை சூரியனைச் சேரும். ஒருமுறை அனுமன் சூரியனைப் பழம் என்று நினைத்து வானமண்டலத்திற்கு தாவினார். சூரியனின் இயக்கம் தடைபட்டு நின்றது. இதனால் உலகமே ஒருகணம் அசையாமல் நின்று போனது. விஷயத்தை அறிந்த இந்திரன், ஓடோடிவந்து அனுமனின் முகத்தில் தன் வஜ்ராயுதத்தால் ஓங்கியடித்தான். மயங்கிய குழந்தை அனுமனைத் தாங்கிப்பிடித்தார் வாயுபகவான். (வாயுவின் மகனே அனுமன்). கோபமான வாயுவை இந்திரனும், சூரியனும் சமாதானப்படுத்தினர். தன் தவறுக்கு பரிகாரமாக சூரியன்அனுமனுக்கு காயத்ரி மந்திரத்தை உபதேசித்ததுடன், இலக்கணங்களையும் கற்றுத் தந்தார். அன்று முதல் அனுமன் "சர்வவியாகரண பண்டிதன்' என்னும் சிறப்புப் பெயர் பெற்றார். "வியாகரணம்' என்றால் "இலக்கணம்'.

Dear Praveen

In a short Tamil piece headed "How did Hanuman get his name?" you posited something startling. You appear to have deleted that posting, hence this response here and now.

Your allegation was that Hanuman as a little chlld and a deva wanted the Sun for a plaything and that both rushed towards the heavens. Thereupon an incensed Indira dealt a heavy blow to Hanuman and smashed his shoulder-blade, which you said was "hanu" in Sanskrit. Hence the name Hanuman - "anuman" in Tamil..

You were gravely wrong, and not for the first time.

Any first-year schoolboiy studying Sanskrit will tell you that "hanu" in Sanskrit means "chin" in English, not "shoulder-blade".

In the above posting, you give yet another account of the same incident, still inaccurate.

Please! Do not treat all of us as uneducated dullards.

S Narayanaswamy Iyer€€

The thread you are referring to is here: https://www.tamilbrahmins.com/threads/அனுமன்-பெயர்க்காரணம்.40028/

For clarity purposes, this is not a story that i conjured up. What is shared with me is shared here as an information. Like two sides to a coin, our history is besieged with numerous variations of a single incident.

So, there is bound to be multiple opinions and sadly in few cases there is no 100% correct version.

What i have shared is also mentioned here:
http://hindusamayams.forumta.net/t1414-topic#axzz5cJKcuXib
https://aanmikam.blogspot.com/2014/08/blog-post_48.html
http://www.kaavidesam.com/stri-anuman-thiruvadigal-sharanam.php
https://www.dinamalar.com/aanmeegamnews_detail.asp?news_id=13107

Also, i did not say Hanu in sanskrit means shoulder blade... The other name for shoulder blade is mentioned as Hanu. that's all.

I don't claim to 100% right in all that i post.
I share what i receive and that's all. I am here to learn and today i learnt something.

I find the source https://hinduism.stackexchange.com/ a bit more reliable (comes under the category of stackexchange for many topics) - well researched. If something is not satisfactory, you can post your suggestion/clarification - It is moderated - they need references before they accept your responses (or/and edit). [ Here is a reference to one of the questions I posted there
https://hinduism.stackexchange.com/...from-mahabharata-the-day-i-was-born-i-made-my ]

Related to Hanuman in hinduism.stackexchange.com :
https://hinduism.stackexchange.com/questions/8001/why-did-hanumana-want-to-eat-the-sun
https://hinduism.stackexchange.com/...ord-hanuman-forget-that-he-has-special-powers

Dear Praveen

Your exact words in your original post were:-

இந்திரன் அனுமனை அடித்துக் கீழே தள்ளினான். அந்த அடியில் அனுமனின் தோள்பட்டை எலும்பு முறிந்தது. தோள்பட்டை எலும்பை, 'ஹனு' என்பர். எனவே அவர் 'ஹனுமான்' ஆனார். தமிழில் 'அனுமன்' என்கிறோம்.

Though you did not specifically say so, it was obvious to me that by your 'ஹனு' என்பர் clearly refers to those knowing Sanskrit as that is a Sansk,rit word, not just to Tamil speakers.

Excuse me for repeating what I wrote earlier:

Any first-year schoolboiy studying Sanskrit will tell you that "hanu" in Sanskrit means "chin" in English, not "shoulder-blade".

(I was amused that the poor helpless little monkey transmogrifies rapidly from "avan" to "avar" and back to "avan" again in your posting.)

So, why now an attempt at some chicanery?

You try to hide behind the lame disclaimer, "This is not a story that i conjured up." What you mean is that you copied it from somewhere. Not sure whether you modified it twice to suit your convenience. Did you publish this disclaimer in both postings?

You also claim, "There is bound to be multiple opinions."

My dear sir, we are not dealing with opinions here. We are dealing with Puranic truths.

Search through the only relevant ithihaasam - the Raamaanayam of Vaalmeeki. You will find neither of your versions there -- Devendran using his vajraayutham of his own accord to knock down the unarmed little beast because the Earth stopped rotating, or Raahu appealing to Devendran to intercede because Hanuman, son of Maaruthi the wind-god, was swifter than Raahu, the snake-bodied Navagraham-god, in reaching the Sun.

Sir, you remind me of the entertaining ditty we as barefoot kaupeenam-clad children used to recite in my remote Kerala village (I shall spare you the Malayalam script):

gundan ganapathi milaku parichchu
mundil katti, chembil olichchu
kandupidichchu randu koduththu
kaanaan nalla chatham

meaning

fatty ganapathi stole some peppers
knotted them in his mundu and hid behind some yam plants
was found out and soundly thrashed
what fun to watch and enjoy!!

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

I rest my case. My information that i had posted is incorrect.
Thank you for clarifying this.

Reading this thread I have a general question.

In an open and 'free' forum, It is not realistic to have experts to verify accuracy of posts.

We have 'copy and paste' type posts and some of them may be factually incorrect. Then we have members writing absurd things in the name of offering new perspective without any background or credibility.
We also have some who write that one intuitively know is wrong but cannot prove it. These posts devalue high value and accurate posts.

I think it will be best to protect few sections of the forum like 'rituals', slokas 'articles & journals' section, Philosophy sections, Science and technology section from pollution by free lancing posts that have no basis in facts. How to do this is hard. For this few experts for each section can be recruited to ask their opinions. Anyway I may be getting carried away with hard to implement ideas.

This is chit chat section, and so sharing my view with the intent that the forum's high value content is not compomised

Reading this thread I have a general question.

In an open and 'free' forum, It is not realistic to have experts to verify accuracy of posts.

I think it will be best to protect few sections of the forum like 'rituals', slokas 'articles & journals' section, Philosophy sections, Science and technology section from pollution by free lancing posts that have no basis in facts. How to do this is hard. For this few experts for each section can be recruited to ask their opinions. Anyway I may be getting carried away with hard to implement ideas.

This is something that can be done. All we need is experts who have an open mind and do not resort to pushing their opinions. We had experimented something like this few years ago but the experts tried to bull doze their views alone and were not open to hearing others.

However, i am willing to give it another shot as long as we have members willing to give their time for this.

"We have 'copy and paste' type posts and some of them may be factually incorrect. "

Problems arise when such posts are not so labelled by the originators, and readers are led to believe that the writers are saying what they do say.

For example, when and where does Vaalmeeki say that Hanuman actually received upadesham of gaayaathri manthram from the sun directly?

Or did the writer (or his undisclosed source) mistake Hanuman for Yajnyavalkya?

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

"We have 'copy and paste' type posts and some of them may be factually incorrect. "

Problems arise when such posts are not so labelled by the originators, and readers are led to believe that the writers are saying what they do say.

For example, when and where does Vaalmeeki say that Hanuman actually received upadesham of gaayaathri manthram from the sun directly?

Or did the writer (or his undisclosed source) mistake Hanuman for Yajnyavalkya?

S Narayanaswamy Iyer
Dear Mr Iyer:

Nice to see you contributing. The issue in an open forum is finding truly qualified people (experts) who can moderate facts for accuracy, without stifling the opinions of others in a free flowing discussion.

Dear sri a-TB

Thank you.

My experience is that you have to step gingerly through the tulips and bravely bear the slings and arrows of outrageous fake-Calpurnias if you want to avoid being rusticated for imagined "inappropriate languge".

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Latest ads

Back