Tamil Brahmins
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    13,013
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    Is God judge or accountant?


    1 Not allowed!
    I have been Reading these articles, they are interesting.
    I have my own reservation about the contents.


    Is God judge or accountant?

    Published on 18th December, 2016, in Mid-day
    In Abrahamic mythology, God is the judge. In Hindu mythology, God is not a judge; he is an accountant. Ask yourself, who do you instinctively respect more, the judge or the accountant? How do you see yourself: as judge or accountant?
    The answer is probably judge. In fact, an accountant — the munim — with his meticulous bookkeeping often evokes exasperation, if not outright disrespect. Could this be an indicator of how strongly we are influenced by Abrahamic mythology compared to Hindu mythology in contemporary times?
    The approach of the judge and the accountant is fundamentally different. The judge seeks to be right. His righteousness is rooted in a set of rules. In Christian mythology, after death, one has to face God on His high throne, and argue the decisions one has made in one’s life. These are measured against rules, the commandments revealed by God through prophets, angels and messengers.
    The judge then decides if you have followed the rules, or not followed the rules. In Islamic mythology, to follow the rule is ‘halal’ and to not follow the rule is ‘haram’. Thus, a judge creates a binary world of rule-followers and rule-breakers, the good and the bad, the right and the wrong. The good are rewarded and sent to heaven and the wrong are punished and sent to hell. The judge who can condemn you, also has the power to forgive you, if you appeal, or repent. With the judge comes authority.
    The accountant checks your debts (rinn) in society. In Hindu mythology, Yama oversees the dead, and his assistant, Chitragupta, maintains the book of records, accounting every deed. Although there is tendency nowadays to classify actions as good (punya) and bad (paap), the traditional Vedic model was simply to check if what a living creatures owes to the world. If there is debt, you are bound to be reborn.
    If there is no debt, you are liberated. So, the binary is bound and free. The monastic orders — Buddhists, Jains, Naths, Yogis, Tapasvis — all sought freedom. They concluded that all craving for food, security and pleasure involves feeding and dependence, hence debt. Traditionally, every human being was indebted to ancestors (pitr) and so had to raise a family. They were indebted to gods (devas) and so had to feed the gods through ritual (yagna). They were indebted to nature (prakriti) and fellow humans (manavas), and so had to take care of nature and be civil members of society (dharma).
    Here, the key word is obligation, not morality. When you nourish another being, they owe you. When you deprive another being of nourishment, for your own nourishment, you owe them. Thus, we live in a web of debts. Debt leads to rebirth. No debt leads to liberation. Fortune means we are receiving loan repayment; misfortune means we have to pay for loans incurred. Wisdom lies in not expecting repayment, writing off loans, and not incurring loans.
    Liberal society in modern society means being a liberal judge — one who does not try to control human behaviour through rules, monitoring and punitive action. What if it meant liberal accountant — who keeps clearing debts, and does not believe people ‘owe’ him their money, their time, their loyalty, their admiration or respect? A simple paradigm shift makes us think deeply about our lives and question the very nature of our relationships.




    http://devdutt.com/articles/indian-m...ccountant.html
  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Royapettah, Chennai
    Posts
    168
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    From my point of view and conscientiously GOD IS THE JUDGE AND NOT MERE ACCOUNTANT.
    Last edited by dhikshita; 04-02-2018 at 09:46 PM.
  3. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Royapettah, Chennai
    Posts
    168
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    From my point of view and say conscientiouslyrics that GOD IS A JUDGE and not merely an accountant
  5. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    23,865
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    1 Not allowed!
    God is neither a Judge nor an Accountant.
    Its our own Karmic bank account balance.

    We are our own Judge and we are our own Accountant cos we actually weigh and calculate our actions.

    The concept of God being a Judge is an Abrahamic concept.

    In any of Hindu Sahasraranamas do we find us describing God as the Supreme Judge or Supreme Accountant?
    Last edited by renuka; 05-02-2018 at 07:15 AM.
  7. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    I live in Chennai
    Posts
    6,958
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by renuka View Post
    God is neither a Judge nor an Accountant.
    Its our own Karmic bank account balance.

    We are our own Judge and we are our own Accountant cos we actually weigh and calculate our actions.

    The concept of God being a Judge is an Abrahamic concept.

    In any of Hindu Sahasraranamas do we find us describing God as the Supreme Judge or Supreme Accountant?

    I agree

    God is a God, the Almighty, the Omnipresent, Omnipotent and Omniscient.

    He cannot be defined either Judge, Accountant, Monster or Human, etc

    BTW who are we to judge the God....?
  9. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  10. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    467
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    In sanatana dharma, there is no 'GOD'. GOD is a totally abrahamic concept.

    There are Rudras, Adityas, Vasus, Tri-murtis (Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva), shakti, lakshmi, sarasvati, ganesha, skanda, durga, lalitha, parvati what not.. A lot of 'divinities' who bring dawn of the Universe and guides its evolution.

    Then there is Brahman, the evolution, the change that is the only constancy in the Universe. The world is mAyA as it keeps evolving/changing and hence unstable. But Brahman, the evolution is the reality.

    All the living and non-living in the Universe have 'Atman'. The Atman is 'virtual'. Be it the nucleus in atom or a living being, 'virtual manas' binds them. Some say this 'Atman' in living (jIva) is different from the Atman everywhere (parama). Some say they are same. Some say it is same but a special type of the same. It does not make any difference, as Atman is virtual.

    Karma is our action. Our action produces reactions which produce more actions. karma that adds/collects/heaps together become puNya. karma that subtract/move away/removes become pApa. If we produce puNya karma, actions that add-up we grow/evolve. If we produce pApa karma, actions that move away, we perish.

    Our karma leaves its foot-prints on us, our families and the society at large. It produces reactions everywhere which impact us back directly or indirectly. All these either evolves or perishes us and others.

    In a limited way, our intellect is a channel for the Brahman/Evolution, as the dance of puNya karma, the actions that grow/evolve us and pApa karma that perishes us impact our and overall society's evolution.

    Submit all our actions that we do with our body, expressions, manas, indriyas, intellect to nArayana. nAra-ayana is simply the one who progresses (ayana) the 'nAra'.

    What progresses the nAra are the karma which are done without Krodha, mAtsarya, Lobha, asubha madhi etc which lead to actions that move away/subtract (pApa karma). pApa karma perishes us and impedes our evolution.

    There is no 'shepherd'/ 'king' / supreme God in Sanatana dharma.

    Neither one judge. Nor one accountant.

    -TBT
    Last edited by thebigthinkg; 05-02-2018 at 10:19 PM.
  11. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  12. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    13,013
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    The accountant checks your debts (rinn) in society. In Hindu mythology, Yama oversees the dead, and his assistant, Chitragupta, maintains the book of records, accounting every deed. Although there is tendency nowadays to classify actions as good (punya) and bad (paap), the traditional Vedic model was simply to check if what a living creaturesowes to the world. If there is debt, you are bound to be reborn.



    This is our religion.

    I understand the advaitic Brahman. But our practice has changed over time.
  13. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  14. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    23,865
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigthinkg View Post
    In sanatana dharma, there is no 'GOD'. GOD is a totally abrahamic concept.

    There are Rudras, Adityas, Vasus, Tri-murtis (Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva), shakti, lakshmi, sarasvati, ganesha, skanda, durga, lalitha, parvati what not.. A lot of 'divinities' who bring dawn of the Universe and guides its evolution.

    Then there is Brahman, the evolution, the change that is the only constancy in the Universe. The world is mAyA as it keeps evolving/changing and hence unstable. But Brahman, the evolution is the reality.

    All the living and non-living in the Universe have 'Atman'. The Atman is 'virtual'. Be it the nucleus in atom or a living being, 'virtual manas' binds them. Some say this 'Atman' in living (jIva) is different from the Atman everywhere (parama). Some say they are same. Some say it is same but a special type of the same. It does not make any difference, as Atman is virtual.

    Karma is our action. Our action produces reactions which produce more actions. karma that adds/collects/heaps together become puNya. karma that subtract/move away/removes become pApa. If we produce puNya karma, actions that add-up we grow/evolve. If we produce pApa karma, actions that move away, we perish.

    Our karma leaves its foot-prints on us, our families and the society at large. It produces reactions everywhere which impact us back directly or indirectly. All these either evolves or perishes us and others.

    In a limited way, our intellect is a channel for the Brahman/Evolution, as the dance of puNya karma, the actions that grow/evolve us and pApa karma that perishes us impact our and overall society's evolution.

    Submit all our actions that we do with our body, expressions, manas, indriyas, intellect to nArayana. nAra-ayana is simply the one who progresses (ayana) the 'nAra'.

    What progresses the nAra are the karma which are done without Krodha, mAtsarya, Lobha, asubha madhi etc which lead to actions that move away/subtract (pApa karma). pApa karma perishes us and impedes our evolution.

    There is no 'shepherd'/ 'king' / supreme God in Sanatana dharma.

    Neither one judge. Nor one accountant.

    -TBT
    Agreed!

    But will a Vaishnava agree?

    Vishnu is God for a Vaishnava.
  15. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  16. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    467
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by renuka View Post
    Agreed!

    But will a Vaishnava agree?

    Vishnu is God for a Vaishnava.
    Yes, the concept of 'God' is a thought, an idea, an opinion that generates an ideology. It gives rise to a 'mata' which is an idea or ideology. So we have different ideologies which form different religions.

    Vaishnava is a 'mata' an ideology/religion like Saiva, sAkta, gAnapatya or say current day ISKCON or umpteen number of ideologies/mata that arise out of the vedic understanding or equivalent to religions like Christianity or Islam or Buddhism or Jainism. All of these based on a particular faith or particular idea/opinion.

    But sanAtana is a dharma, which is life-path, that we devise according to laws that facilitate the evolution/brAhman. Once upon a time, those laws were Varna dharma and Asrama dharma. So the kings called themselves as protectors of Varna-asrama dharma. There were several matas that originated in sanatana dharma and clashed with each other.

    -TBT



    -TBT
  17. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
  18. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    13,013
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigthinkg View Post
    Yes, the concept of 'God' is a thought, an idea, an opinion that generates an ideology. It gives rise to a 'mata' which is an idea or ideology. So we have different ideologies which form different religions.


    I understand your explanation.
    But the religion practiced by 98% of people who call themselves Hindus, do not have this understanding.
    They ape the Abrahamic religion because that is what is being preached by most of the so-called "religious" leaders. and political leaders.
  19. All views expressed by the Members and Moderators here are that of the individuals only and do not reflect the official policy or view of the TamilBrahmins.com Website.
    If you are having a problem with a particular thread or user, please use the "REPORT POST" button beside the offending post to inform us or raise a complaint.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •